Retaking MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watsupdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if taking the MCAT for the second time a bad sign for admission? Will being accepted to medical school be difficult than if I had done well the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if taking the MCAT for the second time a bad sign for admission? Will being accepted to medical school be difficult than if I had done well the first time?

You've got to face your fears eventually... I took the MCAT last August and my physical score blew the big one. It sucked, I studied for physical 10 hours a day for 2 months. Anyways, it got me denied and rejected from U.S. schools, but I recieved acceptances from St. George, Sackler in Israel, and the AUC. Now that I have an acceptance from a good International school, I can retake the MCAT one more time this April for the heck of it. If I suck the big one again I'll just start medical school in August 07. If I kick the MCAT's pants off, I'll defer and try to get into the U.S. one more time... So, once you take the MCAT you can atleast find entry somewhere as a backup, but if you score good the second time your in just as good of shape in the eyes of the U.S. Usually people score low the first time because of not knowing what it will be like or unproper guidance and study habits. If you score well the second time all will be forgiven.

No, they want to see improvement. They want to know you are willing to work to improve your scores. Plus that day could have been a fluke and you are proving it was by doing well on your next test.

ill have to agree with pcat. this is what my advisor has said and many more people on this site.

You've got to face your fears eventually... I took the MCAT last August and my physical score blew the big one. It sucked, I studied for physical 10 hours a day for 2 months. Anyways, it got me denied and rejected from U.S. schools, but I recieved acceptances from St. George, Sackler in Israel, and the AUC. Now that I have an acceptance from a good International school, I can retake the MCAT one more time this April for the heck of it. If I suck the big one again I'll just start medical school in August 07. If I kick the MCAT's pants off, I'll defer and try to get into the U.S. one more time... So, once you take the MCAT you can atleast find entry somewhere as a backup, but if you score good the second time your in just as good of shape in the eyes of the U.S. Usually people score low the first time because of not knowing what it will be like or unproper guidance and study habits. If you score well the second time all will be forgiven.

:thumbup: You will also see that some have taken the mcat 3 or 4 times and still gotten accepted. Also, despite what many say, there is nothing wrong with going to a caribbean or other international schools. You can't go wrong with any of the big 4 in the carib. :D