Retaking practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeanutPuppie

Reaction score
Because of COVID 19 I have had to shift my study plan back, like I'm sure many of you have also done. This left me with practice tests that I have already done, and I have reviewed the answers on some of them. Can I retake these tests, even though I have already taken them previously? Do you think I will remember enough from them that it will alter the accuracy of my overall score? I'm hoping that I do not have to buy more tests, but I also don't want to be under the impression that my score is higher than it actually is.

Members don't see this ad.

Because of COVID 19 I have had to shift my study plan back, like I'm sure many of you have also done. This left me with practice tests that I have already done, and I have reviewed the answers on some of them. Can I retake these tests, even though I have already taken them previously? Do you think I will remember enough from them that it will alter the accuracy of my overall score? I'm hoping that I do not have to buy more tests, but I also don't want to be under the impression that my score is higher than it actually is.

Which tests are you retaking, how when did you take them initially, how much review did you do of those exams, and when are you planning on taking them again?

Which tests are you retaking, how when did you take them initially, how much review did you do of those exams, and when are you planning on taking them again?
Kaplan and AAMC, about 2 months ago +, some I reviewed all of the exam, some I havent reviewed any. Planning on taking them on Sundays up until my test date, June28.

I would not worry about the scores on the Kaplan exams. For the AAMC my students who have retaken exams have reported that they did remember some questions and passages and they did see a bit of elevation in their scores if they had thorough reviewed the exams. I would estimate an increase of maybe 1-4 points total depending on the exam as most reported remembering only a handful of questions from prior attempts. That being said, I would not worry about it because some students scored slightly below or near their average while others scored above. Instead of focusing on the score, you need to focus on the trend between AAMC exams. Look for gains in each section. If you do that you’ll be in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not worry about the scores on the Kaplan exams. For the AAMC my students who have retaken exams have reported that they did remember some questions and passages and they did see a bit of elevation in their scores if they had thorough reviewed the exams. I would estimate an increase of maybe 1-4 points total depending on the exam as most reported remembering only a handful of questions from prior attempts. That being said, I would not worry about it because some students scored slightly below or near their average while others scored above. Instead of focusing on the score, you need to focus on the trend between AAMC exams. Look for gains in each section. If you do that you’ll be in good shape.
Thank you so much.

Give yourself at least 3 months before retaking those precious AAMC FL’s. However, don‘t get all optimistic if you score better on the second time because you might be remembering and guessing the correct answer subconsciously. In my case, after I was done with all AAMC FL’s, I created my own problems by putting myself in the head of testmakers. This really helped me break the ceiling and achieve my desired score on CARS.