Retaking prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielallen2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im reveiwing the application process for a few different optometry schools and calculating my overall GPA, Im deeply concerned with my organic chem, i took both semesters and got a D and a D+, then I retook both semesters and got a B/A(lab) and a B+/A(lab) The old grades are slaughtering my overall GPA, pre req GPA without (3.51) with (3.2) and my overall science GPA 3.32 to a 3.21, do optometry schools look closely at these old grades? Im taking the OAT soon, but this is really freaking me out any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

its good that you did a lot better second time around. i think your gpa is still fine. if you do well on the oat than your gpa will definitely not be a problem.

Well, you already took the classes over and did quite well in them the second time around. Schools are going to see that you did better the second time and they will probably ask you what the deal was w/the classes. So, I wouldn't worry about it at this point...Your GPA is not bad... BTW

Members don't see this ad :)
you should be in pretty good standing for a spot in optometry school with that kind of GPA, depending on your upcoming OAT score. I would only think that it might not be strong enough for SUNY, again depending on your OAT score.

I need to take my gchem series over again (Cs both semesters). Retaking a year of gchem at my university would put me more behind than i would like in applying for opt school. Does it look bad/weak if i retake them at a CC instead of my university?