Review My List of Schools to Apply Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kvh1591

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I keep over thinking and would love your feed back. It is so expensive so I'd like to narrow it down to eight schools.
Michigan Resident
DAT average:19
GPA:3.4
Experience/Volunteer
Two summers at oral surgeon plus one full year working full time
One year at general dentist office full time
Half a year at periodontist office part time
Roughly 150+ hours volunteering

Schools I am thinking of applying to
1. University of Michigan
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Case Western
4. University of New England
5. Midwestern- IL
6. Marquette
7.Temple
8. Midwestern- AZ
9. University of Missouri
10. University of Minnesota

Maybe List:
1. University of OK
2. LECOM
3.A.T. Still University
4. Roseman University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
with your DAT and gpa i would probably apply to around 15 schools. it is going to be an uphill battle to get accepted. both your gpa and DAT are below average with your DAT hurting you more of the two, i think.

if you don’t get in this cycle retake your DAT and continue to improve your application. gpa isn’t low enough to warrant a post bac or masters if you can score 21+ on a DAT retake. if you don’t score well on a retake i would only then consider additional courses or even a post bac to help further prepare for the DAT your gpa is high enough tho to not take more courses if you can avoid it

I would add a few more to your list to be safe.

Is the GPA science or overall?
If it is sGPA it is good enough with your 19 DAT.

Add your “maybe list” plus two or more of these: Creighton, BU, Tufts and Indiana (since you’re already applying to expensive OOS/private schools).
Make sure to have the specific LORs for each school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Help! I keep over thinking and would love your feed back. It is so expensive so I'd like to narrow it down to eight schools.
Michigan Resident
DAT average:19
GPA:3.4
Experience/Volunteer
Two summers at oral surgeon plus one full year working full time
One year at general dentist office full time
Half a year at periodontist office part time
Roughly 150+ hours volunteering

Schools I am thinking of applying to
1. University of Michigan
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Case Western
4. University of New England
5. Midwestern- IL
6. Marquette
7.Temple
8. Midwestern- AZ
9. University of Missouri
10. University of Minnesota

Maybe List:
1. University of OK
2. LECOM
3.A.T. Still University
4. Roseman University

I’m a MI resident also and I’m applying this cycle to 14 schools with ogpa 3.4 and sgpa 3.1 and 20 DAT. I hope admissions committees look at classes an individual took not just pre-requisites and read letters. I played a college sport,150 shadowing hours and over 300 volunteer hours and multiple jobs during undergrad.

I don’t know how OOS friendly Minnesota is...

I talked to my pre-health advisor over and over and they never told me not to apply. I’m just hoping for the best. I wish you the best also and I know how discouraging it can be to see everyone posting with high gpa’s which skyrockets anxiety even more.

Last edited:
I would add a few more to your list to be safe.

Is the GPA science or overall?
If it is sGPA it is good enough with your 19 DAT.

Add your “maybe list” plus two or more of these: Creighton, BU, Tufts and Indiana (since you’re already applying to expensive OOS/private schools).
Make sure to have the specific LORs for each school.
What do you mean specific LOR's for each school? I have 2 science class profs, 1 writing class prof, and 1 dentist. And I feel like that is sufficient for most schools.

What do you mean specific LOR's for each school? I have 2 science class profs, 1 writing class prof, and 1 dentist. And I feel like that is sufficient for most schools.
I think you are good. There are some programs who may want an employer or whoever you did research with or someone connected to volunteering you did, but you cover the science and dentist, which is standard.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are good. There are some programs who may want an employer or whoever you did research with or someone connected to volunteering you did, but you cover the science and dentist, which is standard.
Yes, I saw that some want research professors too which I did to research however I did not include that professor in my letter of recs as I already will have 4. Thank you!

I would add some public schools such as Temple and UB since their tuitions are cheaper than private schools.