This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I got accepted to the program this past week and I'm actually a Canadian student, so I was wondering, does anyone have any insight on any sort of financial aid for students outside the US? Also, where can I find a roommate/housing?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't this stuff you guys learned in undergrad in cell biology or biochemistry classes? I remember all of this stuff even though its been years lol

In reality you have probably gone over 40 or 50 percent of the material you will see in BMS. But, as I said, you are gonna get hit with a lot more volume. Think of undergrad as drinking from a water fountain, and BMS as drinking from a fire hydrant lol. I probably do as much work here during a 3 week test cycle, as I did during an entire semester at undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In reality you have probably gone over 40 or 50 percent of the material you will see in BMS. But, as I said, you are gonna get hit with a lot more volume. Think of undergrad as drinking from a water fountain, and BMS as drinking from a fire hydrant lol. I probably do as much work here during a 3 week test cycle, as I did during an entire semester at undergrad.

how can it be that difficult then? why doesn't everyone just ace it and then get into med school

how can it be that difficult then? why doesn't everyone just ace it and then get into med school
Haven't you been to college? Or did you just go to a really bad one? The syllabus for Chemistry 1 at an average college is pretty much the exact same as your average high school chemistry class, but the average for those college exams is around an 80.

Haven't you been to college? Or did you just go to a really bad one? The syllabus for Chemistry 1 at an average college is pretty much the exact same as your average high school chemistry class, but the average for those college exams is around an 80.

yeah but i feel like SMP are completely different. the people self select into the program and understand the stakes. idk

Do you know what it’s like trying to memorize 300+ pages of science material in 3 weeks? Because let me tell you, it’s really tough.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you submitted and were marked complete?

Thank you!! :) i submitted late March and was marked complete around 4 weeks later. It took longer than usual because I had some issues with prerequisites that needed to be figured out. A lot of people get marked complete around 2 weeks after submitting

Thank you!! :) i submitted late March and was marked complete around 4 weeks later. It took longer than usual because I had some issues with prerequisites that needed to be figured out. A lot of people get marked complete around 2 weeks after submitting
Yeah there were some prereq clarification issues with mine as well, how much longer after your clarified those discrepancies did you hear back?

Do you know what it’s like trying to memorize 300+ pages of science material in 3 weeks? Because let me tell you, it’s really tough.

ah lol - thats tough. I thought u said 40% of it was like things we saw in undergrad. the must not be the case then lol

How do we arrange a meeting with the advisors so they can check our app to CMS? Are the people below a 505 MCAT retaking?

is there a facebook group thats up for this year? could someone post a link, please and thanks.

Everyone says the volume of material you learn in this program is considerable, I’m wondering if how the classes are set up helps you out at all. Are there practice questions/homework assignments or do they give you all this material and wish you luck on the exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright guys, just passed my last set of exams and will be joining the CMS Class of 2022 next year!

ah lol - thats tough. I thought u said 40% of it was like things we saw in undergrad. the must not be the case then lol

Yes 300+ pages of science material is really tough. And if it was so easy to review and memorize material that you've seen before, why doesn't everyone just go and get a 528 on the MCAT? Just because you might be familiar with 40% of the material, doesn't mean that you'll get A's in all these classes.

haha i would STRONGLY disagree with that. everyone has gone to different universities with different rigor and expectations. My chem classes were all weed-out so averages were 50-60% but you'd ended up with like a B-/B because of the curve. I'm sure the program is difficult but everyone has had a different course load in college. For example, I'm very used to studying 12-17 hours a day and memorizing hundreds of pages of notes. It's all do-able with a set schedule a lot of self discipline, so no need to freak people out. Everything has an adjustment period and I'm sure our classmates will help each other and the program directors & professors want you to succeed

While I do agree with you that different universities have different sets of rigor, I am a little concerned that you are spending 12 to 17 hours a day studying in undergrad, and still applying to this program. Studying 17 hours a day as an undergraduate should usually translate to a 4.0 GPA, unless you are taking too many credits, or are going to a university in China and have no idea how to speak mandarin. Bottom line is, yes, everyone will need to adjust to the program, but you simply will not have time to study for 17 hours a day next year, and I am confident that you'll need to make a huge change to your study habits for this upcoming year unless there is some underlying circumstance I am unaware of in your situation.

Can’t find the FB page anymore, anyone know if they changed the name or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on officially matriculating! I was wondering if you'd be able to comment on the outside sources BMS students can go to if they need help in classes. I know this year, you guys had review sessions and help that was conducted by the M1A students, but since the curriculum is changing, I have a feeling that might not be the case next year since M1s will likely not have the time. Are you aware if there will be any replacement to the M1A led review sessions or is it just every man for his or herself?

Thanks! As far as outside sources, the only thing I found helpful was the slides created for a few biochem exams, and physio exams. We were provided with a lot of material though, to the point that i think if you tried to use all of them, you’d do worse on the exam lol. We had TA group sessions for individual classes about once a week, each for a different class, during one three week test cycle where we had biochem, physio, and cell bio, we had 9 or 10 of these 2 hour sessions which I found super unhelpful since they took up so much time. Also, you need to focus on the things you are bad at, the review sessions do a general review of all the material. So you end up going over an hour of stuff you probably feel good on whilst getting bored, and then you spend an hour on stuff you feel bad on whilst freaking out.

You are also given a full practice exam for each class, which is helpful. Bottom line, you are given a lot of stuff to help you out with, but please don’t feel the need to use all of it since it can get overwhelming. Definitely do the practice exams though.

You can also qualify for a tutor if you have a C or below in a class. I was getting tutored for a few weeks at the beginning of the year, but found it super unhelpful. Some people like tutoring though. It’s just a personal opinion of mine, but I don’t think you can tutor science courses heavy in memorization. You can tutor things like physics and math though. At one point, you need to just sit and memorize the stuff.

The top resource I used was visiting the center for academic resources. There are two individuals who you will learn about during orientation whose jobs are to teach students “how to study.” I would recommend paying them a visit at the beginning of the year and creating a study plan, but then again if you feel like you can handle this kind of academic rigor, you might not need to. Then again, if you are contemplating this program, you probably have some fixing to do with regards to your studies.

Next year the TA sessions will be offered too though, BMS students who will be staying at RFUMS were given the opportunity to be BMS tutors for next year, so don’t worry about that!

Can’t find the FB page anymore, anyone know if they changed the name or anything?

I deleted the original fb group I made because admissions made their own called “RFUMS Biomedical Sciences Class of 2019”

I deleted the original fb group I made because admissions made their own called “RFUMS Biomedical Sciences Class of 2019”

Thanks for the reply! It must be a closed/private group or something. I can’t find it on FB, I guess I’ll just wait till I get an email or something with a link.

Hey everyone hope you’re all doing well! I too am going to officially be an M1 this fall! BMS has been a wild ride and I am so excited for all of you who are about to embark on this beautiful journey! It will change you, make you grow, test you in many ways, and you will make it on the other side a better stronger person and future doctor. Reading through the comments I’m seeing a lot of people are concerned about the courseload etc. I want to reassure everyone that while this program is unlike anything you’ve done before in undergrad, and while you will need to make changes to how you study and learn to succeed, don’t be scared by this. Think of it as an opportunity to better yourself. You WILL learn, you will make mistakes and you’ll figure out how to fix them, that’s all part of the journey. You all are going to do great! If anyone had any questions about my experience in BMS, more study tips, general advice, housing, interviews, grade, etc please feel free to message me! I will also be an Orientation advisor this fall so I’m very excited to welcome you all to the RFUMS family :)

Hey everyone hope you’re all doing well! I too am going to officially be an M1 this fall! BMS has been a wild ride and I am so excited for all of you who are about to embark on this beautiful journey! It will change you, make you grow, test you in many ways, and you will make it on the other side a better stronger person and future doctor. Reading through the comments I’m seeing a lot of people are concerned about the courseload etc. I want to reassure everyone that while this program is unlike anything you’ve done before in undergrad, and while you will need to make changes to how you study and learn to succeed, don’t be scared by this. Think of it as an opportunity to better yourself. You WILL learn, you will make mistakes and you’ll figure out how to fix them, that’s all part of the journey. You all are going to do great! If anyone had any questions about my experience in BMS, more study tips, general advice, housing, interviews, grade, etc please feel free to message me! I will also be an Orientation advisor this fall so I’m very excited to welcome you all to the RFUMS family :)

Hi, thank you so much.
I was wondering which certificate track did you take? Or which one do you recommend that I take and why?

Congratulations! I’ll be seeing you in August!

I was just accepted to this program!

I’m currently living in Chicago and I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to live in the city and go to school here?
I have a car and the drive is about 45 minutes (with minimal traffic). My lease is ending in June and I’m wondering if I should renew or move closer to RFU.

I was just accepted to this program!

I’m currently living in Chicago and I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to live in the city and go to school here?
I have a car and the drive is about 45 minutes (with minimal traffic). My lease is ending in June and I’m wondering if I should renew or move closer to RFU.
It’s really up to your studying preferences honestly. If you are someone who goes to class and heavily utilizes the library, I’d recommend getting a place within walking distance of school. Reason why I say this is that you could use that hour and a half of commute time to do something that relieves stress, instead of driving. I know of a couple of BMS’rs that lived in the city and did fine in the program though, but many of them solely studied at home via this year’s and last year’s lecture recordings. So overall, it’s your preference on how you best study.

A thing to remember is that for this past BMS year, many students would try to get ahead using the prior year’s lecture recordings since the professors would lecture us on new testable material until the day before the test. Many would just watch last year’s lectures, and choose to finish going over new content a week or so before the test, in order to have a full week to memorize and understand everything. This year though, while the lectures will probably be similar to what we just had, I assume that you will need to listen to the new lectures, which are published a few hours after the lecture has actually happened. So keep that in mind, if you study at home with the new lecture recordings, you’ll always be a few hours behind your classmates (that’s if the professors utilize completely new lecture material for this year, and last year’s recordings are useless).

Does the program require a certain type of computer (MAC or Windows, minimum memory requirements), etc.?

Can you guys let me know how long you all waited until you heard back from admissions?

Does the program require a certain type of computer (MAC or Windows, minimum memory requirements), etc.?
Speaking from my experience this year, you’ll only need your computer for exams. We use a program called Examplify, which is compatible with both Mac and windows. I’d recommend looking up the program to see if your computer has the specs.

Speaking from my experience this year, you’ll only need your computer for exams. We use a program called Examplify, which is compatible with both Mac and windows. I’d recommend looking up the program to see if your computer has the specs.

why do you need a computer for exams? are the exams in person or online?

My application was complete 4/18. I received an email saying that my application file was complete 5/6. I received my acceptance 5/11.

Hi, thank you so much.
I was wondering which certificate track did you take? Or which one do you recommend that I take and why?

Hi! Congrats on being accepted! So I chose the nutrition track. I spoke to the program director before school finished and he told me of updates to the BMS program. For your year, they will only be offering 2 choices: population health strategies and health administration. Since I didn’t take any of these tracks, I unfortunately won’t be of much help. I do know of my friends who took both, and for health administration, they had a few papers to write throughout the year and the main assignment no matter which track you pick is the discussion posts that are weekly. You make a post and also have to reply to your classmates. The population health track does have one math based statistics course I believe. I think you should pick the track that interests you the most because it’ll make doing the assignments more fun. In the end, both tracks have an equal amount of work so it isn’t that one is easier than the other. Generally though, your track courses will be far easier than any of your medical school classes, so you won’t really be worried about your grades in those classes. My best advise is to read the email you will be sent describing alll 4 classes for the track choices and then pick the one with the classes that seem most interesting to you! Good luck!

Hi! Congrats on being accepted! So I chose the nutrition track. I spoke to the program director before school finished and he told me of updates to the BMS program. For your year, they will only be offering 2 choices: population health strategies and health administration. Since I didn’t take any of these tracks, I unfortunately won’t be of much help. I do know of my friends who took both, and for health administration, they had a few papers to write throughout the year and the main assignment no matter which track you pick is the discussion posts that are weekly. You make a post and also have to reply to your classmates. The population health track does have one math based statistics course I believe. I think you should pick the track that interests you the most because it’ll make doing the assignments more fun. In the end, both tracks have an equal amount of work so it isn’t that one is easier than the other. Generally though, your track courses will be far easier than any of your medical school classes, so you won’t really be worried about your grades in those classes. My best advise is to read the email you will be sent describing alll 4 classes for the track choices and then pick the one with the classes that seem most interesting to you! Good luck!

Noo they’re taking away the nutrition track? :( that’s SO dissapointing. Did not enough students want to do it last year or something?

Hi I have been accepted into the BMS program! I am looking for more information about the program and how a typical day looks like. I know its a lot of questions but I am really anxious about the course.
  1. Are the classes conducted Monday through Friday?
  2. What is the duration of a single class and how long is an average day at school?
  3. Does the coursework include lab sessions? If so, How long are the lab sessions?
  4. I saw some of the thread messages stating 14 hours of study per day. Does this include the classes?
  5. Do we have time for volunteering or any other activities during the weekend?
  6. What are the other options available after the course if rejected at CMS?
  7. Would there be enough practice sessions for interview because I screwed up my interview for the med school last year. And I am really nervous about the interview.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it is too late as of 05/25/18 to be applying to this program? I have been rejected by my state schools and I am panicking right now.

Thanks in advance and Congrats to everyone who got in to this program.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it is too late as of 05/25/18 to be applying to this program? I have been rejected by my state schools and I am panicking right now.

I’m working on my app right now and plan on applying. I emailed admissions and they responded with, “As long as you can get all required materials to us by the June 30 deadline, you will be considered fully for admission. Generally we continue to fill seats to the program well into July.”. It definitely does not hurt to try, so I say apply!

I just got the “you need 100-150 non-clinical volunteer hours” call.

Just to be sure, they want this before the program starts? Or do they want them before your interview with CMS?

Just to be sure, they want this before the program starts? Or do they want them before your interview with CMS?

I think they want it before you submit your application to CMS

So you just need it before you submit your application update to CMS. You will have time until December to complete your hours. Near the end of the year they will email you a google form that you will fill out to indicate all of the activities that you have been doing since BMS started, like clubs you’ve joined, etc. That is where you will also be able to put down the volunteer hours and how many you completed. So don’t think you have to finish them all this summer! You’ll have time during the year and if you take up a weekly volunteering position during the year you can finish easily!

Noo they’re taking away the nutrition track? :( that’s SO dissapointing. Did not enough students want to do it last year or something?

Hey, I’m not exactly sure why they're taking away the Nutrition track :( it’s not about how many students took it though because in our year we had a lot of students sign up for it. I think you should email your advisor to discuss the current options and hopefully you’ll find one you like! I think Health admin is extremely helpful and important as a physician as well!

Is
Hey, I’m not exactly sure why they're taking away the Nutrition track :( it’s not about how many students took it though because in our year we had a lot of students sign up for it. I think you should email your advisor to discuss the current options and hopefully you’ll find one you like! I think Health admin is extremely helpful and important as a physician as well!

what do u learn in the health admin portion?

Hi I have been accepted into the BMS program! I am looking for more information about the program and how a typical day looks like. I know its a lot of questions but I am really anxious about the course.
  1. Are the classes conducted Monday through Friday?
  2. What is the duration of a single class and how long is an average day at school?
  3. Does the coursework include lab sessions? If so, How long are the lab sessions?
  4. I saw some of the thread messages stating 14 hours of study per day. Does this include the classes?
  5. Do we have time for volunteering or any other activities during the weekend?
  6. What are the other options available after the course if rejected at CMS?
  7. Would there be enough practice sessions for interview because I screwed up my interview for the med school last year. And I am really nervous about the interview.

Hey! Really great questions!
1. Yes, usually there are classes Monday-Friday. Occasionally, the days leading up to an exam will have no classes to give us extra time to study, but for the most part you will have some obligation every single day. The medical classes are held in the mornings, anywhere between 8-12pm, so there's up to 4 classes, each are 50 minutes with 10 minute breaks in between. Sometimes you'll have one class in the morning, sometimes 4. And then on some days you'll have afternoon classes and that includes TIPs (Topics in Physiology) and HIPs (Interprofessional Healthcare). TIPs is usually mandatory because there are 4 point quizzes that you have to go to take and HIPs is also mandatory. For Neuroscience, there are 4 wet labs throughout the quarter. For physiology and neuro, there are small groups in which you have a TA that goes over material with you as well as review questions so it's nice to attend those.

2. The medical classes are 50 min, they are recorded and not mandatory to attend as you can just watch the recordings a few hours later when they are uploaded. Also there are optional review sessions held by student TAs, that are usually in the evening like 5-7 or 6-8, they give a general overview of the material and there are usually 2 sessions for each class per 3 week exam cycle.

3. Coursework does have lab sessions, its only neuroscience that really has the true wet lab where you will be handling brain specimens. Physiology labs are just referred to as small groups, with the TA and the material. A lot of people don't go to those but I preferred to because it helps. For CMCB and Biochem, there really aren't labs, there are just 2 clinical case sessions where attendance is mandatory because it's 1% of your grade to just attend and discuss a case with a group of like 10 people. Only some of the labs are mandatory, none of the small groups are mandatory and the wet labs for neuro are also not mandatory. The only other truly mandatory classes are TIPs and HIPs, and of course the exams that are every 3 weeks. Exams are roughly every 3 weeks, either on a Friday or a Monday. You will take them on an online program called Examplify on your laptop, which has functions such as highlighting, flagging, and calculators. All exams are multiple choice and they are combined, so for example in your first quarter your combined exams will include CMCB and Biochem sections. In the Spring, it is Neuro and Physio. Exams are anywhere between 18-65 questions per class, depending on the amount of lectures that are tested. As a general rule, there are 2.5 questions per lecture on the exam. So for example if you're tested on 10 biochem lectures, the exam will be 25 questions for that class. For neuro, the exam is divided into the content based questions and the neuroanatomy portion, which includes pictures of specimens that you have to identify, and its still multiple choice but there will be many more options, such as A-K for each question. Most courses are generally graded the same way, it just depends on how the exams are weighed. For example, the Neuro, the 4 exams were weighted as follows: Exam 1 was 14.8%, 2 was 25.4%, 3 was 25.4% and exam 4 was 34.4%. For physiology, there are a total of 8 exams. CMCB has 4 exams and Biochem has 5 exams. CMCB has 5 quizzes that all together make up 5% of your grade, so if you get 100% on those it really helps. For neuro, there were 5 extra credit quizzes that totaled 1.25% on top of the 100%. Generally, >89.5% is an A, >79.5% is a B, >69.5% is a C and so on.

4. I would say on top of the 4-5 hours of class work per day, I would study about 5-6 hours. The week before the exam it would maybe increase to 10 hours. You will find a schedule that works for you but I promise there are enough hours a day to study the material you have.

5. Yes definitely! A lot of my friends were involved in intramural sports throughout the year and its highly encouraged! Our class also made a group to go to the local Feed My Starving Children during the weekends for those of us that needed extra volunteering hours. There are countless opportunities to get involved in volunteering and clubs and you'll definitely have time for those things if you choose to do so. The weekend before a Monday exam would be the most stressful time period I would say, and you most likely will spend it studying, but if an exam is on a Friday, you'll have the whole weekend to relax and celebrate and me and most of my friends always took the weekend off to recharge and get ready for the next exam cycle!

6. Many students concurrently apply to other medical schools along with CMS. I highly highly recommend doing that because it gives you back up options in the event that you don't get into CMS, and will put you at ease if you have another acceptance so you have somewhere to go at least. Some of my classmates also apply to other schools within RFUMS, such as the pharmacy school, podiatry, PA, etc. If those interest you, you should take to your advisor about applying to those as well!

7. There will be mock interviews held by M1 students in December, that are mock MMI style and they provide general feedback on improving. All of the advisors also have what are known as drop in MMIs, where they have prompts in their office and you can go to them whenever you want to practice. You can also make an appointment with any of them to discuss interview strategies and how to perform well on the interview. Finally, you can always ask an older student to help you practice a mock MMI. You can get as much help as you need as long as you are willing to seek it! Don't be nervous about the interview! They provide you with resources and practice as well as guidance to make sure you perform your best!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To those who have attended the BMS Program: How did you list your future BMS courses on AMCAS? I got off the phone with the AAMC, and they said there is no point in listing courses that you have not started yet. If you listed them, did you send a transcript exception request (and how do you request one)?

Hello Everyone!

I was accepted into the program last week and I have few questions regarding it so I was wondering if someone can help me with answering them:

Regarding the interview for CMS, I know it said that if you do well in the program then you will be guaranteed an interview. I will be applying to medical schools this upcoming cycle and I was wondering if we would be offered the interview after we complete our first quarter in good standing with the program or is it after completing the program? So would there be a chance i would be able to matriculate in 2019?

Also I know there is no financial aid except for loans. Does anyone know if they have scholarships to help cover some of the tuition? Or maybe work study positions?

Thank you for the help in advance!!

To those who have attended the BMS Program: How did you list your future BMS courses on AMCAS? I got off the phone with the AAMC, and they said there is no point in listing courses that you have not started yet. If you listed them, did you send a transcript exception request (and how do you request one)?
Yes, I've been wondering this as well. So far I've only mentioned my intent to enroll in my personal statement but that seems somewhat inadequate considering the stakes on the line.

I know a couple people have mentioned it here and there doesn't seem to be a link for the 2018-2019 BMS page going around yet. After speaking to a couple upper years, they mentioned its a lot easier to talk to one another and find roommates on the page, so until RFU updates us, I took the initiative of creating a page. For those accepted, feel free to join the page :)

IDK WHY SDN WONT LET ME POST THE LINK, but just search up Rosalind Franklin BMS 2018-2019 and it should show up :)

Was wondering if you guys think I could get into this program without an mcat score. I know its a requirement but I have a fairly high gpa compared to a regular applicant(or atleast I think). I know TCMCs postbacc allows your app to be judged without a score if you choose so wondering if RFU does the same thing.
u need a MCAT or GRE. u can most likely take the GRE and finish that up before the deadline

Does anyone know when we need to apply for off -campus housing and how quickly the houses fill up? I desire to get a 2 bedroom with a roommate however I am worried most of the apartments might already be taken by other RFU students in 4 year programs since the deadline was a while ago

Does anyone know when we need to apply for off -campus housing and how quickly the houses fill up? I desire to get a 2 bedroom with a roommate however I am worried most of the apartments might already be taken by other RFU students in 4 year programs since the deadline was a while ago

I applied yesterday for Woodlands and got a place offered today, so you should be fine!

Yes, I've been wondering this as well. So far I've only mentioned my intent to enroll in my personal statement but that seems somewhat inadequate considering the stakes on the line.

I mean am I the only one who thinks the BMS will only help us get into CMS and not other schools? the curriculum is changing and its a new program. I am banking on getting into CMS to be honest. if the posts are right regarding the 50%-70% linkage - i am pretty confident