This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do letters of Rec have to be received for your app to be "completed"? I have submitted but 1 of my LORs is taking his sweet time sending it in

Members don't see this ad.

Do letters of Rec have to be received for your app to be "completed"? I have submitted but 1 of my LORs is taking his sweet time sending it in

Yes, but sending in transcripts takes weeks to process where a LOR takes 1 day. why don't u send ur med school app recs?

when is everyone submitting AMCAS? And for BMS'er in the past, when did u guys submit?

Also are u guys putting the volunteering that u are suppose to start and finish on the app?

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with one of the admissions people over the phone. I won't say his name but He said he worked recruiting for various programs at RFU, not just BMS. He said even he expects the matriculation rate to drop significantly but still remain decently high for the CMS. And to clarify, when they 70% of the class is accepted to the RFU grad, they mean 70% of their class WHO FINISH, AND APPLY to further programs. This could mean, MD, podiatry, PT, pharm, etc... are there any BMS alumni here that can comment regarding this?

I spoke with one of the admissions people over the phone. I won't say his name but He said he worked recruiting for various programs at RFU, not just BMS. He said even he expects the matriculation rate to drop significantly but still remain decently high for the CMS. And to clarify, when they 70% of the class is accepted to the RFU grad, they mean 70% of their class WHO FINISH, AND APPLY to further programs. This could mean, MD, podiatry, PT, pharm, etc... are there any BMS alumni here that can comment regarding this?

What did you mean by “He said even he expects the matriculation rate to drop significantly” are they not accepting a lot of people?

This topic is getting old and frustrating. Logically Why would it drop?

I spoke with an advisor with the program, she assured me the linkage between BMS and CMS will remain unchanged. She said the classes will still be taught by CMS faculty and that there was nothing to worry about.
So basically we have one advisor saying the linkage will be the same and another that says “it will drastically decrease” lol something seems sketchy.

I mean am I the only one who thinks the BMS will only help us get into CMS and not other schools? the curriculum is changing and its a new program. I am banking on getting into CMS to be honest. if the posts are right regarding the 50%-70% linkage - i am pretty confident

In my opinion, this is probably a good thing to keep in the back of your head. From what I have heard, the BMS program is not extremely well known like the BU MAMS program, and the Georgetown SMP program. But with BU MAMS, 30/150 get into their med school, and GT has 10/100 get in. Getting into CMS through BMS is your best shot, so try your hardest!

when is everyone submitting AMCAS? And for BMS'er in the past, when did u guys submit?

Also are u guys putting the volunteering that u are suppose to start and finish on the app?

So I submitted my AMCAS probably in late June. I was under the impression that I would have to take a gap year between BMS and med school, since I thought this program worked like BU MAMS and the Georgetown SMP and my MCAT is terrible. It takes about a month for verification, so make sure to plan for that. I had friends submit their secondary to CMS in October. You can also update volunteering with a google form that CMS gives you in January.

I don't know about the matriculation rate to CMS dropping significantly, but what you are saying about the 70% who finished is correct. This year, going into the last quarter, we had around 70% of students who APPLIED TO CMS and who were STILL ENROLLED be "conditionally accepted." After speaking with the program director after final grades were posted, he said this number went to a little above 60%.

If you want to look at the raw numbers, here they are: Out of the 95 or so that started BMS this year, 85 finished the year and will be graduating with a masters in biomedical sciences.
These next numbers are rough estimates, not told to me by a BMS advisor or anything: I presume that out of the 85 that finished, around 70 were applying to CMS, and roughly 60% (this is a legit number told to me by an advisor) of the 70 students applying were accepted. Leaving about 40-45 of the original 95 students being accepted to CMS. The other 15 or so that finished the program and applied podiatry, PA, or pharmacy probably mostly got into their programs. So roughly 45/95 got into CMS, and lets say 12/95 got into other professional schools at RFUMS.

Students that left the program did so for 3 reasons. 1, they got in somewhere else. 2, they were getting failing grades/C's and the advisors told them the program is worthless for them. 3, they did something dumb and were asked to leave (I don't think this happened to anyone this year, but you never know).

All in all, these SMP's are a RISK, and for many people they are a shortcut to med school! You all need to know that when coming into it, and in my opinion this'll make you guys work even harder for that acceptance. BMS, just like the GT SMP, and BU MAMS is kind of a 45,000 dollar gamble, except with BMS, if you get one C and NEED to go to professional school next year, you can most likely get into the podiatry school or PA program, or pharmacy school. BU and GT do not offer these secondary options.

The reason why I call it a shortcut is because if I didn't do the program, I would have had to study all last year for the MCAT, take it, and then apply right now, and hopefully get into some sort of med school. I cut a whole year out of the process due to BMS, and am eternally grateful. As for my friends who didn't make it into CMS, they now need to start repaying their loans...

One last thing, don't get C's, but i'll tell you, it's better to get a C in the beginning of the program rather than the end. If you get a C in the beginning, you can still shoot for podiatry or PA or pharmacy, but if you get a C in neuro/physio at the end of the year, and you were banking on CMS, I think that the PA and Podiatry classes would have already been filled up by then, and you'd be stuck with nothing at the end of the year (unless you got accepted to some other school that's not RFU affiliated).

Reactions: 2 users
TBH I wonder how many students they have to accept vs how many actually decide to go into the BMS program after acceptance. That would be interesting to see...

This topic is getting old and frustrating. Logically Why would it drop?

Dochopeful13, did you apply to the program and get in? I remember u mentioning you want to apply next year?

Regarding the linkage, when I called in the past, I was told we are still guaranteed the interview given we are in good standing in the program. I thought it was then the same as before then. I am not sure exactly how high it was before since I hear anywhere from 50-70% get in but regardless, there are many advisors/people on the admissions committee who make the final decision for acceptance.

Went for a campus tour last week and was able to speak with the admissions staff. I asked regarding competitiveness and linkage with the medical school. I was told that they don’t think it’ll get too competitive (although I think they will in terms of curve etc), and that regardless everyone in BMS has an opportunity to matriculate to their medical school. However the reasons for ~70% or so is due to people getting C’s or not doing well in the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Went for a campus tour last week and was able to speak with the admissions staff. I asked regarding competitiveness and linkage with the medical school. I was told that they don’t think it’ll get too competitive (although I think they will in terms of curve etc), and that regardless everyone in BMS has an opportunity to matriculate to their medical school. However the reasons for ~70% or so is due to people getting C’s or not doing well in the interview.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the acceptance rates into CMS the previous years: the requirements to get accepted never really changed, the only thing that varied was the quality of the BMS classes. So when you see the different percentages of people that got accepted into CMS within the past few years, it’s because more or less people were able to fulfill the requirements of getting accepted, not because the CMS committee added or took away seats allotted to the BMS program.

There has never been a “battle for CMS seats” within BMS. As long as you got A’s and B’s in all classes, did well on your interview, and did the suggested amount of volunteering hours, you got accepted. IMO this is a big difference between BMS and other SMPs, where there only might be a select number of medical school seats allotted to a master’s program.

Up until now the only thing that changed with BMS within the past few years (that I know of) is that some students used to get accepted with a high C in a class. However I don’t think anyone within the past two years has gotten accepted with a C, even if they were one question away.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Is there time to study for a MCAT retake in the program. I was planning on retaking in September 19 so its still in line with RFU med school and other med school timelines. I know this is a really late but was wondering if some former students might be able to shed some light on this. Also, does anyone know when orientation is and classes officially start.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the acceptance rates into CMS the previous years: the requirements to get accepted never really changed, the only thing that varied was the quality of the BMS classes. So when you see the different percentages of people that got accepted into CMS within the past few years, it’s because more or less people were able to fulfill the requirements of getting accepted, not because the CMS committee added or took away seats allotted to the BMS program.

Up until now the only thing that changed with BMS within the past few years (that I know of) is that some students used to get accepted with a high C in a class. However I don’t think anyone within the past two years has gotten accepted with a C, even if they were one question away.

Historically what has been the acceptance rate over the past 5 years or so? You do not see the issues of not competing with med students a disadvantage from previous BMS programs?

I do not think its going to change; however, I am worried that some people say that got in with a C in a class or two in the past whereas others say they got denied with a 4.0.

Historically what has been the acceptance rate over the past 5 years or so? You do not see the issues of not competing with med students a disadvantage from previous BMS programs?

I do not think its going to change; however, I am worried that some people say that got in with a C in a class or two in the past whereas others say they got denied with a 4.0.

From what I remember the acceptance rate has always been around 50-70%. For this year, the final numbers haven’t been released yet, but around 70% of the students that didn’t drop out were accepted into CMS before the last semester ended. The other 30% most likely received a C in cell bio or biochemistry or didn’t perform well in their interviews. The final acceptance rate probably dropped to the 60’s % from getting weeded out by medical neuroscience or physiology. The year before us (2016-2017), a little more than 50% of the students that completed the program were accepted, but including the students that dropped out, around 37/95 in total per accepted. For 2015-2016 BMS, I believe the acceptance rate for people that completed the program was in the high 60%’s.

Keep in mind my previous comment. In the 2016-2017 year, from what one of the BMS students of that class told me, around 30 people had dropped out of their class by January. This means 30 people dropped out because they either received a C (most likely), were accepted somewhere else, or didn’t want to go through with the program. This many people dropped out before having their interview and hence even having the opportunity to get rejected from CMS. Compare that with our class; we had a total of 2 people drop out by January because the class had been performing well.

IMO I don’t think competing with med students will hurt your chances of getting accepted into Rosalind Franklin specifically. Idk about how it will affect your chances of getting accepted into other schools. I applied to DO schools as backups in case the program didn’t work out and specifically stated in my secondaries that I’m taking medical school courses in the program to prove that I can handle medical school course load (which you will be able to do as well). One of the DO schools I interviewed at mailed me and told me they want me to send them a transcript of how I was performing at Rosalind Franklin before they decide. I was later accepted to the DO school after sending them my transcript (and the LOR that the advisors will write you), so in my case it helped me get accepted to other schools.

I’m sure people got denied with a 4.0 within the past few years, because a 4.0 isn’t going to get you accepted into this medical school. You need a 4.0 AND do well on the mock interview, which takes a lot of time to practice. Every year some people take it for granted and get rejected because of the interview.

In the past 4 years, it has been as low as 32% and as high as 75% of students who finished the program AND Matriculated into CMS. This was confirmed by and admissions rep on the phone, he read to me the actual numbers from each class of # started, # finished and # matriculated.

In the past 4 years, it has been as low as 32% and as high as 75% of students who finished the program AND Matriculated into CMS. This was confirmed by and admissions rep on the phone, he read to me the actual numbers from each class of # started, # finished and # matriculated.

Then what were the exact numbers for 2014-2015 and 2013-2014? From what past BMS students told me last year the matriculation rate wasn’t as low as 32% and the year before that wasn’t as high as 75%.

I don't remember the exact numbers now, but you're welcome to call them and ask for yourself if you think im incorrect.

I don't remember the exact numbers now, but you're welcome to call them and ask for yourself if you think im incorrect.

Yea thanks for the gesture but the numbers aren’t helping me, they’re helping you and your upcoming peers. If you’re stating that it’s been as low as 32% and as high as 75% then I’d assume it was from 3 and 4 years ago, which I was hoping you would remember.

Last edited:
To those planning to join the BMS cohort this fall & working on their AMCAS application right now: how are you all listing the information about BMS on your application? Last year's course list a friendly former BMS student previously posted is no longer valid, because the admin team is in the process of getting all of the course numbers renumbered. As well, they are adding a new class to the fall quarter. Unfortunately, it sounds like they will not have the updated course information ready for us anytime soon... This may not apply to those applying to CMS only (and therefore can submit AMCAS later as it won't make a difference), but I personally will be applying to a couple more schools and so I was hoping to submit my application in the coming week.

I paid my deposit for the program but i'm still not 100% sure if i will be actually doing it. So for my AMCAS, I will just be talking about my current job and then by the time i receive secondaries from other schools then i will mention how I will be doing the masters program if i decide on it for sure.

Yea thanks for the gesture but the numbers aren’t helping me, they’re helping you and your upcoming peers. If you’re stating that it’s been as low as 32% and as high as 75% then I’d assume it was from 3 and 4 years ago, which I was hoping you would remember.

ohh Yea My B. I thought you were another applicant for 2018-19 class

To those planning to join the BMS cohort this fall & working on their AMCAS application right now: how are you all listing the information about BMS on your application? Last year's course list a friendly former BMS student previously posted is no longer valid, because the admin team is in the process of getting all of the course numbers renumbered. As well, they are adding a new class to the fall quarter. Unfortunately, it sounds like they will not have the updated course information ready for us anytime soon... This may not apply to those applying to CMS only (and therefore can submit AMCAS later as it won't make a difference), but I personally will be applying to a couple more schools and so I was hoping to submit my application in the coming week.

I just spoke with an advisor and she told me they’d send out the updated course info next Tuesday

I just spoke with an advisor and she told me they’d send out the updated course info next Tuesday

are you waiting for the course info to submit AMCAS? I plan on waiting until late june or july i think

I have a question about submitting the transcripts by mail.

It says I have to submit the transcript to:

RFUCAS Transcript Verification Department
P.O. Box 9130
Watertown, MA 02471.

What is the institution name, Attention (Person/Department), and Street Address (include apt/unit #) it is referring to? I am from Ontario, Canada.

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 10.22.25 PM.png

Also, I have another question.

Since I am ordering my transcripts online I cannot attach the 'transcript matching form' to the transcripts.
Instead, I am allowed to print my RFUCAS ID# to the transcript. Can I include it in the institution name or the person/department tab?

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 10.40.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 10.40.46 PM.png

So, being as impatient as I am, I submitted the AMCAS the first day it opened. However, I completely forgot to add my upcoming enrollment at RFU under my coursework and schools attended tabs. Am I screwed? I’ve got an email out to their support line but I can’t help but think I’ve really killed my application.

So, being as impatient as I am, I submitted the AMCAS the first day it opened. However, I completely forgot to add my upcoming enrollment at RFU under my coursework and schools attended tabs. Am I screwed? I’ve got an email out to their support line but I can’t help but think I’ve really killed my application.
I've got an update; AACOMAS reopened my application so I can add RFU info, which brings up another question. I can't find any information on this from their website, but how are we supposed to send the application a transcript from RFU when we haven't even started classes yet?

I have a question about submitting the transcripts by mail.

It says I have to submit the transcript to:

RFUCAS Transcript Verification Department
P.O. Box 9130
Watertown, MA 02471.

What is the institution name, Attention (Person/Department), and Street Address (include apt/unit #) it is referring to? I am from Ontario, Canada.

View attachment 235379

Hey! The Instituion name would be: Rosalind Franklin University if Medicine and Science
Attn: RFUCAS Transcript Verification Depaetment
Street Address: P.O. Box 9130
City: Watertown, State is MA, ZIP Code: 02471

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Health Administration vs Population Health Strategies?
Any advice from those who completed the program would be highly appreciated

Reactions: 1 users
Health Administration vs Population Health Strategies?
Any advice from those who completed the program would be highly appreciated
I am in the same boat... any suggestions would be of great help.. especially when the total hours are different..

I am in the same boat... any suggestions would be of great help.. especially when the total hours are different..

I'd say do what interests you. I'm going through HA because I feel like that would help me more in the long run.

I'd say do what interests you. I'm going through HA because I feel like that would help me more in the long run.
hmmm.. thanks! I am leaning on HA too.. but I like doing stats.. so I was a bit confused..

Does anyone know when the mandatory orientation is(and if the activities are all day long etc)? I am thinking about pushing my mcat to 8/18 (4 days after when classes normally start for this program) and trying to get an idea of what that would look like in terms of study time/moving/RFU orientation/RFU schoolwork that first week. TIA!!

Does anyone know when the mandatory orientation is(and if the activities are all day long etc)? I am thinking about pushing my mcat to 8/18 (4 days after when classes normally start for this program) and trying to get an idea of what that would look like in terms of study time/moving/RFU orientation/RFU schoolwork that first week. TIA!!

is the orientation mandatory? And I was suggested by previous BMS applicants that retaking the MCAT if u have over 500 is not worth it

Orientation will be August 7-10. The first day, you will have a service activity that you will do offsite, followed by a welcome picnic. Wednesday-Friday all consist of activities, information sessions, meetings with your advisors, lunches, panels, and breakout sessions. Those days last on average from 9-4pm. They are all required and they do take attendance. My advice to you is figure out if you think moving, attending orientation and 3 days of classes will negatively impact your focus in the last weeks of studying for the MCAT, or if you think those extra weeks will really push your score higher and decide from there. I personally wouldn’t take the MCAT on the date you suggested just because there’s a lot going on in the first weeks that you have you adjust to and it’s already stressful enough to move to a new place and I wouldn’t want the added stress of taking the MCAT.

is the orientation mandatory? And I was suggested by previous BMS applicants that retaking the MCAT if u have over 500 is not worth it

Yes, all 4 days are mandatory! But you’ll want to go anyways, it’s a great way to meet your classmates and make friends and get all your questions answered. And I do agree, if you have over a 500 on your MCAT and your primary focus is CMS, a higher score isn’t going to help you get accepted. After you’re in BMS, they really focus on your BMS grades and interview primarily. I would only recommend retaking if you want to be more competitive for other schools you are applying to, which isn’t a bad idea, but make a personal judgement call based on where you’re applying and your overall application.

Last edited:
When you all applied, did you see your application just say "completed" under the status or did it ever go past that and change to something like "processing, reviewing, etc..."?

For all who were accepted/rejected, how did you receive your response? Did they call you? Email? I'm just curious. Completed on 6/8.

For all who were accepted/rejected, how did you receive your response? Did they call you? Email? I'm just curious. Completed on 6/8.

They emailed first. Within/after a week or so an advisor introduces themselves and talks about volunteer hours etc if you need them.

ACCEPTED!! I'm ecstatic. I've submitted my intent to enroll and paid my deposit. I'll see you guys in August!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey I just got accepted into the program today. I was just wondering if there is a place to look for roommates. I am from the PNW and won't be moving to Chicago till late July. It would be great to get a headstart on housing.

Thanks in advance!!!

does anyone know of people who were rejected this cycle or any old cycles?

Can ya'll update this thread a year from now on your experience with the program please :)

Hey I just got accepted into the program today. I was just wondering if there is a place to look for roommates. I am from the PNW and won't be moving to Chicago till late July. It would be great to get a headstart on housing.

Thanks in advance!!!
I applied for on campus and off campus housing (Woodlands) I was told today that apartment assignments will be made in July- I filled out a roommate preference form similar to when I started college.

I applied for on campus and off campus housing (Woodlands) I was told today that apartment assignments will be made in July- I filled out a roommate preference form similar to when I started college.

I received my assignment within one week for off campus housing.

OK, now here’s a question for those who’ve been through the program. I already submitted my request for housing through the preference form, either for on campus or off campus apartments. I ranked a two bedroom as my preference, but I was given a one bedroom, one bath. This would cost almost $5000 more. Other than calling the housing department, any suggestions how to get my preference? I don’t feel that it’s right that I have to pay for something I don’t want.

OK, now here’s a question for those who’ve been through the program. I already submitted my request for housing through the preference form, either for on campus or off campus apartments. I ranked a two bedroom as my preference, but I was given a one bedroom, one bath. This would cost almost $5000 more. Other than calling the housing department, any suggestions how to get my preference? I don’t feel that it’s right that I have to pay for something I don’t want.
I emailed student housing and they were super accommodating, they basically let me reorder my preferences. I'll be living in Woodlands for $700 a month, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.