Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejection by regular mail from HSS. I think time is running out on any more interviews hope i am wrong. If iam not good luck to all and hope we can all much to some programs. If not remeber that we are internist which is and accomplishent by itself. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Ralph, it ain't over 'till its over. Some programs are still reviewing applications. I just emailed them last week. Some will still be extending invites until April. Keep your head up and remain motivated.

I heard back for 3 this past week and their interivews run from april to early june! a lot of programs interview late....I think there's still a few left to come!

:luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Which programs did you talk to and get invites from this week? Who is interviewing in June?? Aren't rank lists due by then?

i haven't heard from any programs in a long time...i wonder if northwestern, ucla etc filled internally and didn't bother to send you invites??

this is quite fustrating...i wish the programs would just send out rejections than leave us hanging...

Invite from Univ of Virginia this week!

any one heard anything from northwestern? good or bad?

this week heard from Medical college of wisconsin, loyola, ucsd (probably on the wait list there initially)

haven't heard anything from NW, except that their program director is out and sick and most likely unfortunately not coming back :(

Actually, heard from UCLA recently. Still nothing from NW or Wash U. Good luck to all!

Northwestern is no longer reviewing applications... hmmm

That sounds fishy!! Just a couple of weeks ago they said they were "waiting to send out invites until spring!" Is that even legal within the match to fill internally? Doesn't that defeat the whole idea?

Yep, mass rejection email from TJ. Univ of Minnesota still reviewing applications...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that you sometimes hear early from programs if they are really interested. Is this true in rheum? Has anyone heard from programs after interviews?

I am interested in applying for rheum fellowship but I have J1. I am US grad but foreign national. Currently in University IM residency program. Do you guys know which programs sponsor J1? :confused:

Univ of Cincinatti interview today.

anybody heard from Univ of South California?

how many programs are you guys planning on ranking? and did you send out thank you notes by mail or by email? I'm wondering if it looks unprofessional to email a thank you after interviewing...

I liked all the places I interviewed (7) so I will probably rank all of them. I mailed my notes.

Yes kneetapper. I am starting to get all wound up about it.....Have you heard from anyone?? Feedback on interviews? I got some feedback but am not sure how much stock to put into it.

Interview at Case Western Metrohealth was unbeleivably shoddy. No planning at all and nobody even read the CV. Very annoying. If programs have made up their minds to give their spots to internal candidates I fail to understand why they bother calling people to interview. A waste of my time and money.

Rejection from NYU by snail mail today!!

Are most of you here done with your interviews?!!

did my last one today...should we be expecting more invites?

Wow, my last one is on May 15!!!!!!!!!

Did any of you interview at UPMC? If so what was the experience? Anyone here interviewed at Univ of Cincinnati? I got an interview invite last week and wondering whether it is a second wave interview invite and if so whether I should attend?

rejection from UC Davis

I highly recommend calling programs you havent heard from. I called cleveland clinic last week to ask if they're done with interviews. They called me back the next day for an interview and that they probably accidentally skipped over my app. Anyone heard from Hopkins? And it looks like UC Davis filled their spot outside the match.
And about hearing back from programs- I did hear back from one place after I emailed my thank you's and all six people wrote back with a nice response but nothing directly saying they would for sure have a spot for me... sigh.

Hey kneetapper - yes, heard from Hopkins. I think they are done interviewing by now. They only had a few dates. Otherwise, congrats on the cleveland clinic interview!! which are you top three or four so far?

thanks, sunny. have you decided on your favorites?
i haven't quite decided yet on my top three, i still have two more to go next week, i'll probably know more by then.
good luck on the interviews everyone!

Yes - I think mine are Hopkins, HSS and UCLA...we will see how things go!

Yes - I think mine are Hopkins, HSS and UCLA...we will see how things go!

Hey Sunny. Nice line-up! Good luck.

I have a quick question. I have an interview there coming up and I was wondering what the program is like (really research oriented, basic v clinical research, 2 v 3 years, etc.). Evidently, their website has been down the entire interview season. You obviously liked it, so I figure you'd be a good person to ask. I'd appreciate any input.

Hey I heart TNF - which program are you asking about? Congrats on the interview!

Hey I heart TNF - which program are you asking about? Congrats on the interview!

Sunny1979. I guess the name of the program WOULD help! As you can tell, it was getting a little late when I posted that. UCLA. Also, do they seem pretty strong clinically, or are they primarily a research oriented institution? Thanks again!

Very exciting about rank order lists!! :)

TNF - I think UCLA seemed strong in both clinical and research training. Not as strong clinically as Hopkins, but better than alot of other places I went. They definitely do have a very strong interest in research so that is highlighted during the visit. Admittedly, I am somewhat biased though as I have many personal reasons to go to LA (family, friends, etc..)

My top 3... hss, ucsf, and nyu not sure about the order yet. an suggestions... location isn't an issue

Hey phinicky- I liked UCSF alot. The faculty were great, and SF is of course beautiful. The only 2 things that really concerned me were that the fellow I met did not seem happy and the traffic between the three hospitals. The main concerns of the fellow were the extensive amount of driving required between the hosptals in SF traffic (all on opposite ends of the city), the fact they have to pay for their own parking in 2/3 hospitals, and apparently finding a spot is also difficult and gets expensive, especially when considering high cost of SF living). Although this sounds small, I could see if getting really annoying and it definitely seemed to affect the fellow. I thought that the other programs I listed were just as good but without the same hassle. I loved HSS as mentioned before. I did not apply to NYU so have no comment. Good luck!

Univ of Virginia interview anyone?

Rank lists anyone? Only about 6 weeks to go!! :)

good question...this thread suddenly died after 5/3/08. anyway, hope everyone matched...coz I did.

Did any prominent programs go unfilled in rheum this year? Last year there were a couple...