Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
as far as I could remember from the list of a friend who didnt match in another fellowship, BWH and USC had one spot unfilled for rheum. But Im sure they quickly filled up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins had an unfilled spot

Where did everyone match? Congrats you guys!

Oh - and I think it was UCSF. not USC that had an unfilled spot. Crazy how some of the best programs didn't fill this year...I guess they did not rank enough people...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a fairly slow thread, so I'm going to just leave the old one stuck on top so it's easier to access the old posts.

what's the relative reputation of the following rheum programs in terms of teaching environment?

NIH
UPMC
Mayo
Dartmouth

Anyone familiar with these programs?

hey ralph, hope u matched? can u let me know the details of your appln. process? i am planning to apply this year. i am now pgy2

Just sent my application to 55 programs. Anyone else want to share how many programs you applied to. Also, does anyone know when programs start inviting and when do they schedule most of their interviews??

Thanks!!

Just sent my application to 55 programs. Anyone else want to share how many programs you applied to. Also, does anyone know when programs start inviting and when do they schedule most of their interviews??

Thanks!!

31 programs, no California, Florida, or Texas. Mostly midwest and northeast. I have minimal research but Chief Resident so hopefully it goes well. Good luck!

I haven't heard anything yet (no rejections and no invites). Did anyone get invites/rejections?

I haven't heard anything yet (no rejections and no invites). Did anyone get invites/rejections?

First interview invite today!!!!

Hi, I am new, congrats for the first interview bonadoc. It seems to me this is a pretty early invitation!
I am also applying this year. Good luck.

I wonder if we can get an admin to make the 9/15/08 message be the first on this thread? I have a feeling things are about to get cooking with invites/rejections and it would be helpful if the first messages on the thread were applicable to this year and not 2005!

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get replies (rejections/interviews) from programs? Is it by personal email or by a message through the eras website?

First rejection today from UCSF. Not a big surprise, but still disappointing L

Posi, it came on email thru ERAS and there was a copy in "My Messages" on the ERAS site also.

Good luck to everyone and Happy Holidays!!

congrats bonadoc, may i ask where u got the interview offer from?

looking at the old posts, it appears that majority of the interviews came in starting mid jan?

anyone have any insights on boston programs?

Got 2 rejections from UCSF, U. Wisconsin
interview at rush

Hey guys, It would be so kind if we can share impressions, invitations and rejection updates etc.. for the benefit of all of us !

Good luck for all of you:D

Congrats to Vasculitisfan on the invite!!

I received my second rejection, this one from U. Wisconsin L

Still no invites.

I’ve seen in this and other treads that people post some information about themselves to add context to their posts. For example;

1)Where you finished medical school (US/Canadian or Foreign)
2)The type and size of residence program they are in (University, University affiliated or community and small, medium or large)
3)USMLE scores
4)Research and or publications
5)US Citizens, Green card holder or what type of visa they need

This type of information would help me, and I think others, to benchmark against and add some additional perspective.

I’ll go first…

Foreign Medical Graduate
Small University Affiliated Program
Step 1 and Step 2 – in the 230s
Step 3 – 206
No research or publications
US citizen

Hope others will share too.

Thanks!

:thumbup:
Congrats to Vasculitisfan on the invite!!

I’ll go first…

Foreign Medical Graduate
Small University Affiliated Program
Step 1 and Step 2 – in the 230s
Step 3 – 206
No research or publications
US citizen

Hope others will share too.

Thanks!

Thank you WannaBARheum:

FMG
Medicum-sized University Affiliated Program, CMR
Step 1, 2: 240s
One research project and a few small-calibre publications.
Attending in a large teaching hospital.
Green Card Holder

Good luck for all of you !:)

Hello Everyone, I matched in one of the rheum programs in NewYork and have to start from July 09. I want to go to any warmer states like Florida/Texas, as my son is not keeping well here. Does anyone knows is it possible to get mutual transfer in fellowship programs? Thanks.

Hello Everyone, I matched in one of the rheum programs in NewYork and have to start from July 09. I want to go to any warmer states like Florida/Texas, as my son is not keeping well here. Does anyone knows is it possible to get mutual transfer in fellowship programs? Thanks.

It probably is, but you will need the programs approval on both ends. I know that it happens in residency programs. Which program are you at currently as that may make a difference.

How much time do we have to register (deadline) for the Match site? Anyone know how much? -> just found out it's 40 bucks.

interview invites - U Penn, BWH, BU

Last edited:
The ERAS website now says that Wayne St. is "Not participating in ERAS". I applied there a month ago but now it seems they have pulled out. I sent an email and have called the program coordinator a few times with no reply, so I did some more investigation. The ACGME website lists the Accreditation Status for the rheumatology fellowship program as "Expedited Withdraw". My first thought is for the first year fellows, hoping they can finish or find other programs! My second thought is that I wasted another $25 and still have no interviews L

Last edited:
Is it only me or is it awfully quite here? No single invite (or rejection) so far. Only one response from HSS that my application is incomplete because I didn't send my MSPE.

Congrats bonadoc for being 3/3!!!! Do you mind sharing where you were invited to interview?

As for myself, another rejection for U. of Chicago and a letter (via snail mail) that the program in Buffalo is closing and not accepting new fellows. That makes me 0/5 if you count the three rejections and two programs I applied to that are closing. I'm hoping for a break soon.

So far only bonadoc, Vasculitisfan and Rheum2010 have posted that they have received invites, but there must be more out there. This thread averages over 300 views with every new posting so there must me more people out there who can share their invites, rejections and other updates. Please!!

Hi everyone,

New comer and interested in Rheu very mcuh.

My background:

FMG with green card
3 steps >200
some research with few publications
applied 34 programs in Nov.

So far, only heard from HSS that my application is incomplete.

Hi all,

Yes, I agree ..we should have more active communication on this forum in terms of sharing our invites etc.

It would be helpful to know which programs are sending out invitations etc...

i'll keep u posted if anything comes up. look forward to hearing from more of you..

Hi I am new to the site! I am glad people are discussing everything. I have gotten 2 rejection, but i have five interviews, (I have not started interviewing yet) what about everyone else? and how many do you guys think we need to match? heard things are getting competative

Has anyone heard from GW or Georgetown or maryland?

Has anyone heard from GW or Georgetown or maryland?

I have not heard from any of the DC programs and U of Maryland has not even downloaded my applicaion yet.

By the way, congratulations for getting 5 interviews!!! That's great! Do you mind sharing where you were invited to interview? It would help us all to know who is sending out invites and who is still reviewing applications.

Thanks,

Hi I am new to the site! I am glad people are discussing everything. I have gotten 2 rejection, but i have five interviews, (I have not started interviewing yet) what about everyone else? and how many do you guys think we need to match? heard things are getting competative

Heard from another program, so now I have 4 interviews set up. First one is this Tuesday. No rejections yet, but I am sure they are coming since I applied to 30 programs. Congrats on the five interviews. Since others are sharing their stats:

U.S. Citizen
Caribbean medical grad
Average Step score 220, no failures
Chief Resident moderate to large University program
Board Certified

Good luck to everyone!

two rejections UCSD and U of Wis

stats:
US Grad, avg step scores, university program, + research
good luck on Tuesday Bonadoc!! please let us know types of things you were asked about

I heard temple sent out invites? (I did not get one.)
anyone else heard from other programs

hi
i'm new to this
feeling sort of dejected here, applied to about 40 programs with only one invite from mount sinai... figures it doesn't bode well for the future

i'm an FMG
Caribbean grad
chief at small program
USMLEs all >200
minimal research

rejection emory
rejection hospital for special surgery NY
very quiet from the interview front..
anyone else hear anything?

got rejections from UCSD, Emory, UW Madison

invites from Temple, UPenn, and Jefferson

US Grad
Community program
Average Board Scores
Some research

I am interested in New York Programs.....

Finally, my first invitation from Rush in Chicago. And another rejection, from Emory.

hey ya'll
so i'm a resident at a medium sized academic program on the east coast. Went to a top 15 med school. applied to 20 programs. presented 2 research projects during the past 2 ACR meeting.

Have had 5 interview invites during the first week of january, but none since then. hopefully, i'm not hitting a dry spell.

Univ of wisconsin
Univ of washington, seattle
Univ of iowa
univ of texas, southwestern
Mayo clinic
no rejections so far

interested in hearing what inverviews others have gotten.

Last edited:
So far I have interview invitations from NYU and Johns Hopkins.

Best of luck to everyone on the interview trail!

Interview invitation form Boston University by email.

invite today from UCSF :D
good luck to all... Hey Bonadoc how was your first interview, I hope it went well

invite today from UCSF :D
good luck to all... Hey Bonadoc how was your first interview, I hope it went well

It went well. Kinda strange in that none of the questions were typical for the most part. Asked why rheumatology, but that was about it. It included 7 total interviews which I thought was a lot, but maybe not. At least 2 of them the interviewers just wanted me to sit and listen to how important they or their research was. Otherwise I thought it was a good day.

Just got another interview to make it 5.

Indiana University
St Louis University
University of Vermont
University of Connecticut
University of Michigan

rejection from UCSF,
invite from cleveland clinic and U of Michigan

Thats Great bonadoc!! glad it went well. I would rather listen to them talk about research, than get pimped with questions:scared:. good luck I will report back, after my first, which is not for another 2 weeks.

did anyone else apply to U. Maryland or Westchester? If so, did they download your application yet? Neither one has downloaded mine. Should I be concerned? Should I call them to see what’s up?

What do you guys think?