Rho Chi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beccala33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Rho Chi, such as who is eligible and once inducted what kind of gpa needs to be maintained?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your peers. It's something like the top 15% GPA wise.

The two guys I sat next to all three years of classroom time were "invited" but they both turned down membership and they had 2 less members that year.

They didn't want to pay the $82 fee. I don't blame them, I wouldn't have, either.

I found their website, too: http://www.rhochi.org/

I like their little motto/mantra/slogan/whatever. It's unintentionally hilarious:

The Rho Chi Society encourages and recognizes excellence in intellectual achievement and advocates critical inquiry in all aspects of pharmacy. The Society further encourages high standards of conduct and character and fosters fellowship among its members.

Obviously they aren't THAT critical of the aspects of pharmacy if they are sheep enough to jump through the hoop of memorizing the mountains of useless crap needed to sustain a 3.8+ GPA in pharmacy school.

The Society seeks universal recognition of its members as lifelong intellectual leaders in pharmacy, and as a community of scholars, to instill the desire to pursue intellectual excellence and critical inquiry to advance the profession.

"Universal" recognition? What kind of Tijuana bluegrass are they on? Seriously....does this club serve a purpose other than vanity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any information on Rho Chi, such as who is eligible and once inducted what kind of gpa needs to be maintained?

Here is all you need to know.... Who is eligible? The biggest geeks in your class who have never spent one day working in a real pharmacy. They spend all their time memorizing useless information off power point slides in order to "ace" the test. These are also the same people who will have a huge struggle actually practicing pharmacy in the real world because they are accustomed to memorizing power point slides and not applying their knowledge to real situations.

Now don't generalize TOO much. One of my good friends was just admitted to Rho Chi, works 30+ hours a week, has a baby, and has several hobbies. He's just a smart dude that can't help it. Not all of them are complete dorks...just some of them....

Here is all you need to know.... Who is eligible? The biggest geeks in your class who have never spent one day working in a real pharmacy. They spend all their time memorizing useless information off power point slides in order to "ace" the test. These are also the same people who will have a huge struggle actually practicing pharmacy in the real world because they are accustomed to memorizing power point slides and not applying their knowledge to real situations.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You forgot to mention they copy & read the WHOLE reading list yet can't seem to correlate academic with clinical information.

Rho Chi membership is based on GPA after (or just before the end) of second year depending on your school. Membership is by invitation only and is offered to the top 20% GPA wise.

You guys are super harsh! Not all Rho Chi members are geeks that only study. I am a member and I work 3 days a week and am very active in student organizations. I fully realize that GPA isn't everything. While Rho Chi membership may show that you are book smart, there are a lot more factors involved in being a good pharmacist.

You guys are super harsh! Not all Rho Chi members are geeks that only study. I am a member and I work 3 days a week and am very active in student organizations. I fully realize that GPA isn't everything. While Rho Chi membership may show that you are book smart, there are a lot more factors involved in being a good pharmacist.

Yes, you confirmed it. You are a geek. :smuggrin:

Yes, you confirmed it. You are a geek. :smuggrin:

Haha...well I think all pharmacists are geeky to some extent....no matter how hard they try to live it down. :)

At our school they take the top 15% during the 2nd year and then they take an additional 5% during the 3rd year. So, in the end its the top 20% of the class. I have never heard anything about keeping a certain grade level once your accepted but Im sure there are probably rules about that.

Haha...well I think all pharmacists are geeky to some extent....no matter how hard they try to live it down. :)
Next week at UIC it is Spring Fling. Activities include Pharmaceutics Relay Race and Pharmacy Jeopardy. For the Pharmaceutics race, they make them make a pyramid of 10 2oz amber vials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, what's the benefit of such organization except the fact that it tells people you have a high GPA? Does it help your career in future?

Seriously, what's the benefit of such organization except the fact that it tells people you have a high GPA? Does it help your career in future?

Kind of like asking what MENSA does for someone. My guess is, if you're lucky, a token scholarship ($1-200.) Who knows.

Kind of like asking what MENSA does for someone. My guess is, if you're lucky, a token scholarship ($1-200.) Who knows.

It sounds like joining such organization is not so convincing. Think about it, joining it already costs $80, and the return of profit is highly unlikely....

It sounds like joining such organization is not so convincing. Think about it, joining it already costs $80, and the return of profit is highly unlikely....

I paid to join Golden Key and Phi Kappa Phi. Primarily because I needed something to include as an EC. I went to a meeting for Golden Key and it was like, "all our members are busy going to class and working, so we don't really do anything". It was the lamest meeting I've been to, ever.

My scheme the last year of school was to not go to class, but to get the Rho Chi kids to tutor me instead later in the day so I didn't have to get up early. Of course, none of them tutored and the president of Rho chi, whom I worked with at Kroger for 2 years, got stuck with doping all of it. She says to me, "Mike....no....get your lazy ass to class."

Ah, poor Laura....good times.

If it comes to hiring, I would seriously grill the Rho Chi kids more than others. It's not that I don't trust em...er...well....yeah, it's that I don't trust em. They could very well be great people....just...you know...I don't trust em.

Actually, Mensa does a ton for me. We go on bike rides, out to dinner, play games, go on picnics, etc. There's lots of activities every month. I have a lot of friends through Mensa.

Rho Chi at UF is awarded during your 2nd year. After you get in, grades don't matter. Some of our members even dropped off the dean's list in year 3. I'm not sure of the GPA requirements, but it was above a 3.5. None of the Rho Chi students at St Pete are geeks who only study. We do have geeks that always study, but they didn't get into Rho Chi. They probably study because they need to.

I'm not sure of the benefits. Maybe you get a star next to your name on the commencment program.

What a loser.. maybe you have a learning disability or something...

Haha, I am in Rho Chi and this is actually the opposite of me. I don't study that much, get way behind in lectures (hell for some classes I don't even attend/watch lecture), work in a retail pharmacy DURING the school year, and am just a normal person. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about reading and just remembering what you read. The actual tests require hardly any problem solving skills, which makes it not that bad.

And most of my time is not spent on school work.

For the OP, I forget the actual cost that I had to pay but I think it was around 70-80 dollars. You have to pay a small fee every year or something. Its not really going to help you get a better job or anything once you get out, but I guess if you have the grades to be invited might as well do it.

Haha, I am in Rho Chi and this is actually the opposite of me. I don't study that much, get way behind in lectures (hell for some classes I don't even attend/watch lecture), work in a retail pharmacy DURING the school year, and am just a normal person. Personally I don't see what the big deal is about reading and just remembering what you read. The actual tests require hardly any problem solving skills, which makes it not that bad.

For the OP, I forget the actual cost that I had to pay but I think it was around 70-80 dollars. You have to pay a small fee every year or something. Its not really going to help you get a better job or anything once you get out, but I guess if you have the grades to be invited might as well do it.

Yes you are in Rho Chi, but you didnt really talk about the benefits of joining and why you're paying the fee every year..Care to clarify?

I don't get all this animosity over "A" students in pharmacy school and people who want to do well, I'm just the type of person who always tries to get an "A", not because I need an "A" or my life is over but because what else are you suppose to shoot for? I just grew up with the idea of wanting to do your best at everything you do.. but maybe thats just me.. =/

I paid to join Golden Key and Phi Kappa Phi. Primarily because I needed something to include as an EC. I went to a meeting for Golden Key and it was like, "all our members are busy going to class and working, so we don't really do anything". It was the lamest meeting I've been to, ever.

this reminds me of High school extra-curriculars lol.. spanish club, history club, chess club

"come join the spanish club even if you don't speak spanish"
"come join the chess club even if you don't play chess"
"come join the history club even if you don't like history"

:laugh:

Yes you are in Rho Chi, but you didnt really talk about the benefits of joining and why you're paying the fee every year..Care to clarify?

Sure, you are paying the initial fee for either a pin or key chain (sorry no pocket protector) and a cords for graduation plus your initial dues. The fee that you pay every year or so is for dues. The benefits of joining: scholarship oppurtunities, mentoring, looks good on a resume for a residency or even a job,etc.

For me personally I don't find it to have too many benefits, but I figured I would join since I earned it.

For more information they have a pretty good website that might be able to clear some things up for you

www.rhochi.org

Our school pays for our Rho Chi initiation fees...so it was free to join for me!

Rho Chi at our school does a lot of community service and health promotion. We do projects for health fairs, screenings, and at the old folk's homes. We also "promote scholarly" activity on campus by sponsoring speakers and tutoring students.

The Society seeks universal recognition of its members as lifelong intellectual leaders in pharmacy, and as a community of scholars, to instill the desire to pursue intellectual excellence and critical inquiry to advance the profession.

It's not that they get "A" grades, per se. Hell, I could give two ****s about a stupid letter appearing on my report card next to whatever arbitrary course I'm taking. Oh, no, it's the fact that, according to their own statement above, they demand to been seen as the premiere intellectuals of the profession. As a kid with a definite ADHD (I've had preceptors advise me to get tested....) problem and dislike for academia, I find it offensive and incredibly biased toward one particular type of student to assume that only those with a certain type of personality and learning style should be seen as something the 3.8+GPA they earn doesn't intrinsically reflect. When I told my last two preceptors my GPA, they were shocked. 2.9?!?! Yeah, 2.9. Thank God for rotations. Seriously.

I am sure most of you former "students" of the Hawaii College of Pharmacy (HICP) who got into another substandard program made it into Rho Chi. After all its the top 20%, so if everyone in your class is an idiot I suppose it would not be to hard to make it. This would explain why you were way behind in lecture, never went to class, still passed and made it into Rho Chi.

I am sure most of you former "students" of the Hawaii College of Pharmacy (HICP) who got into another substandard program made it into Rho Chi. After all its the top 20%, so if everyone in your class is an idiot I suppose it would not be to hard to make it. This would explain why you were way behind in lecture, never went to class, still passed and made it into Rho Chi.

Nice

sure it's all well and good but every pharmacist I've ever talked to in practice doesn't give a crap about Rho Chi even if they themselves were/are a member.

if it makes you feel better about yourself to have the certificate or tassel at graduation, good for you. but I've learned that the work to get an A tends to be exponentially more than the work to get a B. so. not. worth it. I get my share of A's but I rarely work any harder for those unless it's a professor I'm really working to earn the respect (and letters of recommendation) of/from.

Ouch. That hurts. Maybe a good idea to leave those unfortunate enough to be caught up in that mess out. Even if there is any possibility of truth to it by the time they become eligible for Rho Chi.

Uhhh, I love it when people assume... I currently go to UF, a top ten program... nice try though...

Uhhh, I love it when people assume... I currently go to UF, a top ten program... nice try though...

Haha, now we have people bragging about their school - citing the obviously flawed and skewed rankings USN&WR puts out. It's like saying the Subway sub shop in Cleveland is better than the one in Kansas City. Hey, guess what, they serve the same stuff....

I'm not in Rho Chi and I'm not attending a "top 20" school. Hell, I'm the founder of Slow Chi.

Haha, now we have people bragging about their school - citing the obviously flawed and skewed rankings USN&WR puts out. It's like saying the Subway sub shop in Cleveland is better than the one in Kansas City. Hey, guess what, they serve the same stuff....

I'm not in Rho Chi and I'm not attending a "top 20" school. Hell, I'm the founder of Slow Chi.

At my school we call it "Lo Chi" and I'm in it.

Well, I think that I'm going to be inducted into Back Row Chi, so there!

I'm not bragging about anything, I simply cleared up a misconception about the school I attended the previous poster had.

Edited for Grammar

At my school we call it "Lo Chi" and I'm in it.

We have Lo Chi at UF, too. It was only at the Gainesville campus, though. I wish we would have had one at St Pete.

Somebody's going to rank them and USN and WR has a little more credibility at ranking educational programs compared to you. Maybe you should start your own publication and rank pharmacy programs.

How do you know the store in Cleveland doesn't use stale bread and old meat? While the one in Kansas uses fresh ingredients, thus making the quality of their product considerably different. Of course I'm skewed, I think Carolina has the best sandwiches in the country.

Somebody's going to rank them and USN and WR has a little more credibility at ranking educational programs compared to you. Maybe you should start your own publication and rank pharmacy programs.

If you look at the criteria they used, it's clear that it is an arbitrary ranking at best, a heavily biased ranking at worst. Basing the PharmD program on research grants? On the subjective opinions of random people in the system? Are you kidding me?

So much hostility...very unbecoming and it makes one appear bitter.

I do on children, but not people.

maybe not in WV....but rest of the union believe children are people too..

And the crack ho Whitney said it best when she sang.... "I believe the children are the future."

alright...am I going to get fired form SDN for making the crackho comment like Imus did about Rutgers?