This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have read a number of posts and researched a decent amount on my own, but keep going in circles trying to decide which concentration to pursue!

I am applying for MPH or MSPH programs currently and am torn between Epi (or Global Epi), Environmental/Occ (with Global focus) or Global Health. Epidemiology sounds interesting to me. I love research and finding patterns so think it would be fun. Quantitative skills strong, not amazing, but probably sufficient.
I am also interested in environmental health (both toxicology and infectious disease) and global health. I would like to do field research and work with people in less developed countries implementing programs as an example. The research that seems most interesting to me involves the overlap of global health and the environment. For example, increase in Dengue Fever related to climate change, or animals as sentinels for lead poisoning/other toxins. Connecting the ecosystem to disease and health is fascinating to me!

So I am a bit confused as to if Epidemiology with a focus in Global/Environmental Health would be the best option, since it seems Epi is one of the foundations for everything, or if I would end up behind a desk. Would my RN background help prevent that? Or should I just focus on a topic that interests me like Global Environmental Health and be specific from the start?

In addition, MPHs seem like the practical degree, and already having an practical RN degree, would I be better focusing on and MS or MSPH in order to do more research? I don't want to just be an Occupation Health Nurse.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a more broad job market, epi is a better concentration. There are more opportunities in epi since they're a bit more versatile.

There are many subconcentrations within EH, so I'd recommend looking at each of the subfields and assess if they're a good fit. A good depth of knowledge and ability in that subfield will really make you stand out when you get onto the job market.

Hi I am an IMG from India, GPA 3.81, GRE 30, AWA 4.0, I applied to Minnesota, Boston, Tufts, Thomas Jefferson, UMass Amherst , Temple and Claremont.
I got into Minnesota, Boston , Thomas Jefferson , Temple and Claremont.
Still haven't heard from UMass and Tufts.. really confused where to go .. Please help

Members don't see this ad :)
Nomader - based on the info you provided, it sounds like you are primarily interested in research, and the two examples you mentioned are related to principles of epi - a sort of ecological or time trends study (presumably), and a surveillance system. So methods wise I would go epi in your shoes. Others can say more on Environmental health - I think it would be also totally fine to do a EHS degree if you could find projects or professors doing what you want to do. Logistically, it may be easier to work with professors on EHS projects if you are already in their department.

Stories and Molbio thanks for your responses! After further looking into research by professors of interest, I realized I am interested in eco-epidemiology, especially as it relates to infectious diseases. You were right to suggest ecology, Molbio. I feel pretty certain I want the epidemiology knowledge and background, but also wish I could take all the electives and specialize in the way I could if I focused on global EHS. I guess you cannot have it all. I am trying to contact potential mentors to learn which would make me more competitive for their research. Thanks!