Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

RN or CRA ---> MPH?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by Holly86, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Holly86

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi everyone!

Here's my situation. I'm a junior studying psychology, and I have a keen interest in health. So, I've been taking a lot of health-related courses, and I work as a research assistant in a healthy psychology lab.

Ultimately I want to pursue an MPH. I'm just not sure how to get there... I've toyed with the idea of getting my RN, working for a year (and possibly get tuition reimbursement for school?) and then going for the MPH. I've also been told that I could probably skip nursing altogether and get a job as a clinical research associate (CRA), and gain experience that way.

Which option is the best way to go?

Do RN's who get an MPH make more money than someone without an RN to begin with?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it depends on what you want to do in life. If you want to be a nursing researcher than the RN and perhaps even PhD are extremely helpful if not required. If you want to do epi research, then a PhD in epi would be the way to go.

Many people go straight from undergrad to an MPH. Some programs require experience, which I think you can get as a research assistant just as well as by working as an RN. But I'm not a nurse so I'm not the best person to ask.