RN to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveMedicine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I all be greatful if someone give me suggestion.

I have a bachelors degree. My GPA is not that impressive 3.05 cum. I am in a process of doing my Pre-med Pre-reqs.

I am also doing an associate in nursing. For some reason I have to do it. My associate degree is from a four year school and it is going to end by Aug 2005.

My plan is to finish pre-reqs and nursing at the same time and then take MCAT. I am taking pre-requsites from a community college. I am not going for post-bach I know that would be ideal in my case but being an international student I simply can't afford it. I will take some of the pre-reqs from a four year school to prove that I can do well regardless of the school.

I am more interested in DO schools as their as their philosophy apeals me.

Althought I dont want to go for masters but I'll do a one year masters program if I have to.

Do you think I stand a chance (without a masters degree) after doing my ASN and all pre-requsites given that I do well and keep my science GPA 3.5 and above and do well in MCAT 27 plus. And a BS degree with a 3.05 GPA.

How would the admission committe look at it.
Any advise on what I should do improve my chances.

Will appreciate your advise.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your thought process sounds fine.

You are going to get a lot of advice on these forums. It is best to use your own judgement! Think about what makes you different. This is the key. I take it that you may be a non-trad student?

Make sure that you have a well rounded history. It is not all about grades.

Undergrad grades do not predict the type of med student that you can or will be. Many people are crammers that get great grades. It is what you retain during the studying.

I f you know someone that is a good writer have them help you with your personal statement. Do not underestimate the power of good writing skills.

Your thoughts on taking the MCAT shortly after your prereqs are good. This will help your MCAT score by a few points. I took the MCAT 8-10 yrs after my prereqs.

Hope this helps and goodluck

Hi LoveMedicine,

.....I think it may depend on the schools you're applying to. I do not think your 3.05 undergrad GPA would hurt you if you make up for that in your nursing degree and especially if you do well on the MCAT (as you are). You may want to take an MCAT prep course - i took the Princeton Review. Anyways, if you have the time, try to shadow a DO, you may be asked about that on your interviews........

GOod luck to you,
Ahmed Nadeem MS-4 CCOM

PGY-1 MWU-CCOM EM

Members don't see this ad :)
I will try to do my very best in MCAT after my Premed. I beleive if I do well in that then I have a good chance of getting in.
Thanks a lot for the replies.
Amna-

LoveMedicine,

My question for you is why are you doing nursing and pre-med at the same time? Do you have plans to work as a RN for a few years then go to medical school? I started another career plan while doing my pre-med studies - and even though it was unrelated to medicine it took a lot of time away from my studies and my GPA ultimately suffered. If your interest is truely in going to medical school - why finish the RN? I understand that you'd be willing to do a Master's program since your GPA isn't what you want it to be, but if you concentrate solely on your pre-med studies you won't have to worry about that.

Whatever you choose -- best of luck!! :hardy:

one of my interviewers at KCOM was Dr. Roof, an anesthesiologist. Dr. Roof started as an RN, then got his D.O. and became a family practicioner and then an anesthesiologist. he's really down to earth and would probably love to talk to you about his experience. if you contact KCOM, they could probably put you in touch with him. good luck!

-Aaron A. Davis