Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProteinTreasure

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need to get the 8th edition of Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, published in 2009, if I already have the 7th edition published in 2004. Any major differences?

Members don't see this ad.

Do I need to get the 8th edition of Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, published in 2009, if I already have the 7th edition published in 2004. Any major differences?

I don't think there will be anything major in terms of new things in the 8th that aren't in the 7th and will be on Step 1. Whether or not to use Robbins is really a matter of personal preference. I thought it was a great tool for MS2 and gave a great foundation for Step 1 studying, perhaps because our path classes followed it closely. But there are others who don't use it and do perfectly fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the Robbins 7th ed. Never opened it once during medical school. I keep it around for reference though.

I think miRNA epigenetics is added for the 8th. I also think they updated classifications to match the latest standards (WHO updated lymphoma classifications in 2008, for example). This is just from memory, though. I'd have to look at my Robbins to be sure and it's on my desk at school.

I think owning a copy of Robbins at all is overkill. You'll be fine with the one you have.
Though this thread is about PBD, I quite enjoy reading Robbin's Basic Pathology (Also in its 8th edition.) Our syllabus is pretty much lifted from there but is much more poorly written, so I appreciate reading the actual [well-written] book.

I think 7th or 8th is fine, but I'd ask your professor. I love Robbins and use it sometimes for reference when I need more foundational background than Harrison's or Cecil's provides.

If you're taking the course, however, I absolutely recommend "Baby Robbins" the paperback "pocket companion" to Robbins. It has more than enough detail to study from and, if you don't understand something, each paragraph has a page reference back to the main book.

I thought the chapters in Robbins were so long that I'd forget the material from the beginning by the time I got all the way to the end. Baby Robbins improved my grades considerably.