Rocky Vista Board Scores!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cMyc run

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in the spirit of the press I am publicly asking to see the stats of RVUCOM's first set of scores. To quote Dr. Dubin from a past newsletter:

"Unlike many other schools around the country, we will be very transparent about our board scores. All students are required to have taken this examination prior to their first clinical rotations in year III. I am hopeful that we will have the data on all the exams no later than September of this year, and I will release our ‘report card’ once all the information is all received."

Well the time has come and a hand full of students were forced to take the exam at the end of August. I thought they started rotations August 1st. I am curious as to how Dr. Dubin will pull this feat off? If Dr. Dubin would like to publish the statistics as soon as September, how will he collectivly publish all the scores when students just took the exam? How will he include those scores when it takes 4-6 weeks per the NBOME to publish the individual scores.

The first line is my favorite and such a contradiction of RVU. There is nothing transparent there; especially when it comes to money.

On other news about Mr. Black, Yife Tien's Lawyer:

"Mr. Black said that he would like to remain connected to the University, most likely on a special project or contract basis. He admitted that since he had become a part of the University, it would always remain a part of him and that he hoped to continue to be involved with RVU in one way or another.'

He will be involved after COCA recommended he resign: He is Tien's lawyer, is he not?

Here is the link to thier last news letter

http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/PDFs/Vista View June 2010.pdf

Enjoy and good luck to the students

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is the prob there?

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

I would like to know how truthful the dean is being by stating that the stats will be released by September. He forced a group of students to take the COMLEX in the end of August and reporting of scores typically takes 4-6 weeks.

Is he going to blame the prior administration if the scores come back low, or will he admit that he deconstructed the entire curriculum and rebuilt it during the second year?

The big issue I have is the "for profit" thing and the attemps to hide their motives

The school, or I should say the bank they go through, is charging a 4% origination fee on a loan that is at 8.5% interest not to mention a hike in tuition every year. The first loan payment is due 15 months post graduation in the midst of residency with an option of forebarance to 24 months. if a student trying to become a doctor were to take out 65K a year for the 4 years, god forbid it turn into 5 the way Dean Dubin runs academics, the balance would be around 330K. since the loan must be paid off in 20 years. the monthly payment is going to be around 3000.00 a month of post tax income. Since the tax code was rewritten anyone making a over certain amount cannot deduct educational expenses or the interest on the student loans.

Staffords are currently at 5.8 and scheduled to drop into the 3% range. RVU states they will accept a loan from any institution; I don't know of any that will lend in this case aside from the bank Yife fronted the money to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am a long time lurker of the site but I have never posted.....But after seeing this I feel like I need to.
I am a second year student at RVU. Do I think the school is perfect? No. But after reading a lot of other complaints from students from other schools in other threads I do not think that RVU's issues are different than any other school.
About board scores:
Dr. Dubin had a schoolwide meeting YESTERDAY announcing how our students did the COMLEX. The passing rate is just below the national average. They are in the "middle of the pack." He is happy with it. I am pleased that they are not at the bottom and I am convinced that I am being adequately prepared to take both the USMLE and COMLEX.
About the loans:
The situation is not ideal. If you don't want to deal with it DON'T GO TO SCHOOL HERE.

So I am a long time lurker of the site but I have never posted.....But after seeing this I feel like I need to.
I am a second year student at RVU. Do I think the school is perfect? No. But after reading a lot of other complaints from students from other schools in other threads I do not think that RVU's issues are different than any other school.
About board scores:
Dr. Dubin had a schoolwide meeting YESTERDAY announcing how our students did the COMLEX. The passing rate is just below the national average. They are in the "middle of the pack." He is happy with it. I am pleased that they are not at the bottom and I am convinced that I am being adequately prepared to take both the USMLE and COMLEX.
About the loans:
The situation is not ideal. If you don't want to deal with it DON'T GO TO SCHOOL HERE.

What was the pass rate? I missed that meeting because I was too burnt out from the system final. Thanks.

National average was around 90%. We were just below that in the high 80's

Staffords are currently at 5.8 and scheduled to drop into the 3% range. RVU states they will accept a loan from any institution; I don't know of any that will lend in this case aside from the bank Yife fronted the money to.

Staffords for medical/grad school are fixed permanently at 6.8%. They are not dropping.

But, otherwise, the financial costs of getting a degree from there (or most DO schools and private med schools for that matter) are frightening.

Staffords for medical/grad school are fixed permanently at 6.8%. They are not dropping.

But, otherwise, the financial costs of getting a degree from there (or most DO schools and private med schools for that matter) are frightening.

Actually, this is not true. I was told by my financial aid office the Staffords will be dropping to 4% next year (this won't effect loans you have already taken out), but any you are taking out that next year will be 4%

Staffords dispursed after June 31, 2010 will be in the high 5%, next year they drop to middle 4% and the year following they will be down to the low 3% range. Check it out on the DOE website.

About board scores:
About the loans:

You will be prepared because you are most likely taking the initiative with your education. From what I hear the COMLEX is not that difficult of an exam if you have a broad base of the medical and clinical sciences. Depth helps. But the numbers he mentioned were not all of them. there are still a handfull of RVU students who were forced to take the exam a couple weeks ago and the scores are yet to come in.

Movies are nice and entertaining, but only when you open the book you can really begin to read between the lines. Good luck

National average was around 90%. We were just below that in the high 80's

Well I guess he lied to your class as there are still a handfull of scores that have not been reported. Some students took the COMLEX just 2 weeks ago and it takes 4-6 weeks to get those in.

Uh no. He told us those were the scores so far. He also was very open about the fact that if you were in the lower 15% you had to take your test late. Which in my opinion makes sense. If you are getting low grades you probably didn't understand the material that well the first time so you should study more. Duh.
And as for my taking an initiative with my education. Again....Duh. Every medical student at every medical school has to do this.
You apparently have a stick up your butt about something with Dubin. Did you come onto him or something and he turned you down? You obviously don't really work here right now or else you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. Whatever your deal is get over it. RVU now has people who have taken their first set of boards. They have students on rotations and they are LOVING it. The first class is graduating next year. And just because the school is for profit doesn't mean they are out to take our money. My classmates are all really smart and got into a lot of other schools. Most people turned down other acceptances to go here. We aren't stupid. We wouldn't be here if we thought we were being scammed.

Uh no. He told us those were the scores so far. He also was very open about the fact that if you were in the lower 15% you had to take your test late. Which in my opinion makes sense. If you are getting low grades you probably didn't understand the material that well the first time so you should study more. Duh.
And as for my taking an initiative with my education. Again....Duh. Every medical student at every medical school has to do this.
You apparently have a stick up your butt about something with Dubin. Did you come onto him or something and he turned you down? You obviously don't really work here right now or else you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. Whatever your deal is get over it. RVU now has people who have taken their first set of boards. They have students on rotations and they are LOVING it. The first class is graduating next year. And just because the school is for profit doesn't mean they are out to take our money. My classmates are all really smart and got into a lot of other schools. Most people turned down other acceptances to go here. We aren't stupid. We wouldn't be here if we thought we were being scammed.

Look, no one here is implying you or students who attended RVU are stupid. As a medical student, I understand the strong desire to become a physician, regardless of odds/financial obligations.

But, you have to realize (from a complete outsider), you are at a school that is for-profit, with a LOT of lawyers running the show. Doesn't that give you pause? I know that you are already committed to the school and you want to defend it. I absolutely understand, and I am sure there are wonderful qualities about your school.

But, unless you are willing to call your administration out on anything that seems "funny" which at least c-myc seems to be trying to convey, they will keep doing whatever they are doing--which may be bad or good depending your perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Staffords dispursed after June 31, 2010 will be in the high 5%, next year they drop to middle 4% and the year following they will be down to the low 3% range. Check it out on the DOE website.

1. You want to prove your point, give me the link to the source of this info. My loans have been dispersed after 6/31/2010 and I sure don't see a ~5% interest rate.
2. I also extremely doubt you are an administrator, probably just some pre-med who got rejected.
3. Students that attend the school know they will have expensive loans. So what is your point?
4. The dean will probably provide the scores as they become available. I don't see a problem with him giving you the scores he has so far and then correcting that number when all scores are available.
5. I am in no way affiliated with RVU, have never visited it, never applied to it. Have never even been to the state it is in. But, I dislike fake posters. So prove point #1 or go away.

Are you all serious?! That's just larcency. So since we were all unlucky enough to be in medical school between 2006 and 2010, we're stuck with fixed rate Staffords at 6.8%?! I hate our government.

Are you all serious?! That's just larcency. So since we were all unlucky enough to be in medical school between 2006 and 2010, we're stuck with fixed rate Staffords at 6.8%?! I hate our government.

Naw, don't worry the OP can't read.
http://www.staffordloan.com/stafford-loan-info/interest-rates.php

"Note: Graduate Stafford Loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) have a fixed interest rate of 6.8% through 2013."

The undergrad loans will have lower interest rates.

"What are the current interest rates?

Direct Subsidized Loans:

• Undergraduate students—If the first disbursement of your subsidized loan is between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011, the interest rate on your loan is fixed at 4.5%. The interest rate on subsidized loans first disbursed to undergraduate students between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 will be fixed at 3.4%.
  • Graduate and professional degree students—The interest rate is fixed at 6.8%."

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp#05

OP, please leave your BS at the door.

I mean seriously I just wasted a few minutes of my already stressed out day for this bull crap...:mad:

Well I guess he lied to your class as there are still a handfull of scores that have not been reported. Some students took the COMLEX just 2 weeks ago and it takes 4-6 weeks to get those in.

Newflash, boyo....

Same thing happened at TCOM -- those who had struggled got the option of having more time to study....mutually beneficial both to the student and the school ---student got more time to prepare, school stood a better chance of having no failures......We had several years of all but one person passing and were trying to hit that perfect pass mark.....just so we could cut off the 2nd year program director's pony tail....:D

Dubin is one hell of an educator....You may not like his manner but he proved time and again that he was interested in turning students into the best physicians they could be.....

Newflash, boyo....

Same thing happened at TCOM -- those who had struggled got the option of having more time to study....mutually beneficial both to the student and the school ---student got more time to prepare, school stood a better chance of having no failures......We had several years of all but one person passing and were trying to hit that perfect pass mark.....just so we could cut off the 2nd year program director's pony tail....:D

Dubin is one hell of an educator....You may not like his manner but he proved time and again that he was interested in turning students into the best physicians they could be.....

He's a hard ass but he knows what he's doing alright!

Newflash, boyo....

His discourse is with someone saying they were going to release scores when they couldn't, not telling people they can't take the exam.

That's for undergrad loans my friend. Med school loans stay at 6.8%.

National average was around 90%. We were just below that in the high 80's.

I don't know much about RVU-COM.

But it sounds to me like RVU is "gaming the system" with their COMLEX pass rate. Other osteopathic schools do not dictate that class rank precludes their students from taking the COMLEX, as far as I know. My understanding here is that the top 85% of RVU students still only managed to have a below-average pass rate. If the other schools' board pass rate includes all students and they manage, on average, to do better than RVU, then that indicates to me that there is a problem.

But it sounds to me like RVU is "gaming the system" with their COMLEX pass rate. Other osteopathic schools do not dictate that class rank precludes their students from taking the COMLEX, as far as I know.

LECOM-B requires people with a certain average (<75% cumulative exam average, IIRC) to take a week-long, school-run board review course before they take Step I. I understand the logic of doing this, but it is an externality if you're trying to compare schools by board scores. Does RVU require or provide a board review course for the lower tier of their students? If not, I'm not sure what the point would be of making them wait.

I wasn't sure what to make of RVU, and didn't apply there. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. What I definitely wouldn't want to see is students who chose to go there with the best of intentions getting screwed by an administration with ulterior motives and seemingly erratic behavior.

I'd like to think that there's enough money sunk into RVU that the board wouldn't let anything get totally out-of-hand. The AMSA's new physician mag has an article about for-profit medical education that prominently features RVU... one statistic quoted by the article is that Yife Tien's Dad's old Caribbean school, AUC [See Note below], has in the past achieved a 20% profit margin. With those kind of profits at stake, you'd think they'd do whatever is necessary to get students through.

On the other hand, this is medical education, where less than half of the qualified candidates are accepted. How bad would a school have to be before students refused to go there?

Note: I originally claimed AUC was bought by DeVry, Inc., which is incorrect. DeVry actually purchased Ross University for $310 million in 2003.

Last edited:
On the other hand, this is medical education, where less than half of the qualified candidates are accepted. How bad would a school have to be before students refused to go there?

I can't imagine it ever getting bad enough that no one will go. I still remember after the first MCAT I took (that I bombed), I started receiving a torrent of ads and flyers for some of the more uncommon degrees, possibly attempting to change my mind, feed off of my desperation, etc.

If there's a spot, someone will go.

Also, I had no idea AUC belonged to Devry. Interesting tidbit.

Also, I had no idea AUC belonged to Devry. Interesting tidbit.

I was wrong, and after I post this I'll correct it in the original post. I looked back at the article, and DeVry bought Ross University for $310 million in 2003, not AUC. I looked at DeVry's annual report and Ross is definitely theirs. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

The quote about the 20% profit margin was for AUC, though I'm not sure where they got their numbers:

And if AUC, Paul Tien's medical school, is any indication, margins can be as high as 20%--this can mean millions of dollars.

so did RVU require all students to take a board review coourse before hand?? was it optional?? or did only those who were heald back take a board review course...
I am sure there is something here about those schools offering/paying for Bord review courses

What I definitely wouldn't want to see is students who chose to go there with the best of intentions getting screwed by an administration with ulterior motives and seemingly erratic behavior.

The students at RVU are collaborators in a reprehensible scheme to exploit my profession for a few pieces of silver. Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

The students at RVU are collaborators in a reprehensible scheme to exploit my profession for a few pieces of silver. Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

The fault lies with AOA/NBOME/COCA or whatever osteopathic organization had a hand in allowing an openly for-profit school to set up shop in the US. Everyone else is making the best of the opportunity.

The fault lies with AOA/NBOME/COCA or whatever osteopathic organization had a hand in allowing an openly for-profit school to set up shop in the US. Everyone else is making the best of the opportunity.

Although I think DO Anes is being a little too blunt in that post, I would also agree that everyone is responsible for what happens, good or bad. That opportunity could easily be researched and analyzed, which is why several posters have said they didn't apply. To say that the students are complete and total victims in the event something goes horribly wrong would be incorrect. They took the risk, hopefully knowing that there was one.

They took the risk, hopefully knowing that there was one.

I can understand why people would take the risk. As a non-trad with a family, if we'd lived in CO, I would have thought about RVU more deeply. And I do hope everybody who's there went in with an understanding of all the issues.

I would feel a lot less conflicted about RVU if medicine as a profession shunned anyone who graduated from a for-profit med school. Without that, it's hard for me to argue that a for-profit school in the U.S. is very different from a for-profit school in the Caribbean.

But as a student at a fairly new branch campus of an aggressively expanding osteopathic school, albeit a non-profit one, I feel like I'm in a glass house here.

I can understand why people would take the risk. As a non-trad with a family, if we'd lived in CO, I would have thought about RVU more deeply. And I do hope everybody who's there went in with an understanding of all the issues.

I would feel a lot less conflicted about RVU if medicine as a profession shunned anyone who graduated from a for-profit med school. Without that, it's hard for me to argue that a for-profit school in the U.S. is very different from a for-profit school in the Caribbean.

But as a student at a fairly new branch campus of an aggressively expanding osteopathic school, albeit a non-profit one, I feel like I'm in a glass house here.

You are correct. With only one med school in the area, many people here see it as great opportunity to stay near home and go to med school. Most of the students are from CO, and neighboring states.

So you are a DO? I'm sure that what MDs say about you.You went to DO school because you couldn't get in to an MD school with your low GPA or MCAT :p
Now you have enough time as an attending to come on student forums to bash students and schools.

Have some respect for students who are busting their behind to accomplish their dreams and pursue their love for medicine, not for "few pieces of silver". They are not going to get their certificate for free or license to practice any easier than you did.

Have some respect for students who are busting their behind to accomplish their dreams and pursue their love for medicine,

I always find the concept of students deserving respect or being absolved of culpability in the for-profit scheme simply for the fact that they are students, curious. Desire and hard work trump morality and ethics? The students are adults with free will. They chose to help finance dishonoring the profession.
Anyway, if I am the only DO in the world to feel this way, they have nothing to fear.

I understand what you mean too. In the right context, the reward can outweigh the risk. If you had an invested interest in RVU and it was strong enough to overlook its issues, then go for it. However, don't think it absolves anyone there of responsibility if something should happen. I don't wish any ill will towards anyone, but as DO Anes said, the students are adults and they made their choice, for better or worse.

I always find the concept of students deserving respect or being absolved of culpability in the for-profit scheme simply for the fact that they are students, curious. Desire and hard work trump morality and ethics? The students are adults with free will. They chose to help finance dishonoring the profession.
Anyway, if I am the only DO in the world to feel this way, they have nothing to fear.

To some extent I understand the concerns about "for-profit" status of educational institutes because of Devry & U.Phoenix, but trying to associate Medical Profession/Education as a non-profit is bunch of BS. We all know doctors will go open their own practice first chance they get, and they are all about profit. How is this any different. People without insurance dread going to doctors. So please spare "dishonoring the profession" line.

Last edited:
I am too tired to comment as thoroughly as I would like, but I would like to reminisce a little:

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/ful...INDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

(do read the whole thing, but the following stands out)

At RVUCOM, by contrast, we believe that our primary obligations are to the education of our students and the advancement of our faculty. We have acted and will continue to act with these primary obligations foremost in mind.

I wonder if Dr. martin still feels that advancement of the faculty is a "primary obligation"

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/10/425

...That being said, I have been in contact with Ronnie B. Martin, DO, the dean of the for-profit Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) in Parker, Colo. He has assured me that for-profit institutions like RVUCOM can further the cause of osteopathic medicine in the United States. Dr Martin and other RVUCOM leaders are confident that the new school will be a positive force in its geographic region—as well as in the larger osteopathic medical community.

Yes, I'm sure the fox will do a fine job running the henhouse.

Again, read the whole letter by Dr. Ajluni (and the later response to the response by Dr. Mychaskiw. And heck, why not read the letters by Dr. Mychaskiw himself. I have always enjoyed and agree with them). And before someone condemns me for cherrypicking quotes, I just want a point to be clear: One of the most frustrating things about the AOA is the seeming glibness with which it conducts both its business and its words (in these cases). Be it RVU or inaccurate comparisons of COMLEX to USMLE (as noted by w-b-DO in another thread).

So you are a DO? I'm sure that what MDs say about you.You went to DO school because you couldn't get in to an MD school with your low GPA or MCAT :p
Now you have enough time as an attending to come on student forums to bash students and schools.

Have some respect for students who are busting their behind to accomplish their dreams and pursue their love for medicine, not for "few pieces of silver". They are not going to get their certificate for free or license to practice any easier than you did.

Are you even a medical student? Perhaps instead of insulting the attendings who actually take time to participate in discussions here, and pleading for undeserved "respect", you should actually take some to learn about things here. Like who DO Anes (aka Dr. Mychaskiw) is.

Really J-Rad? Quoting crude from 2 - 3 years ago? Have we not moved on at all? Dr. Martin hasn't been the Dean of RVUCOM for over a year; why are you even mentioning him? Look, according to Dr. Dubin (the current Dean), all of the board scores have come in and the results are pretty much the same as he previously stated. The students are doing well, the University is doing great things. All you RVU-bashers - just give it a rest already, will you. Let the results speak for themselves!

So how did rvu do?

What's the take-home message for students considering rvu?

If I were applying all over again, first and foremost would be the typical list of things to get from a school and note that none of this has to do with the for profit status. It would be the age of a school, location and rotations that would be at the top of my concerns.

When I applied, RVU was only 1 year old and also it was located in CO, which I have no connections to whatsoever. Also, not being a fan of the cold, I ruled it out, simple as that. I knew it was for profit, but it really didn't get that far for me. After applying to 15+ schools, you have to stop somewhere before you go insane from the secondaries.

Would it be a possibility that the for profit status alone turned people away? Of course, but there are plenty of reasons why people wouldn't want to go, just like for any other school.

Are you even a medical student? Perhaps instead of insulting the attendings who actually take time to participate in discussions here, and pleading for undeserved "respect", you should actually take some to learn about things here. Like who DO Anes (aka Dr. Mychaskiw) is.

LOL clearly not because he/she thinks that people still actually give a $hit what anyone got on their MCAT/ what their undergrad GPA was after they walk through the doors of medical school.

LOL clearly not because he/she thinks that people still actually give a $hit what anyone got on their MCAT/ what their undergrad GPA was after they walk through the doors of medical school.

i know of a handful of residency programs that require your MCAT score as part of their application.

Really J-Rad? Quoting crude from 2 - 3 years ago? Have we not moved on at all? Dr. Martin hasn't been the Dean of RVUCOM for over a year; why are you even mentioning him? Look, according to Dr. Dubin (the current Dean), all of the board scores have come in and the results are pretty much the same as he previously stated. The students are doing well, the University is doing great things. All you RVU-bashers - just give it a rest already, will you. Let the results speak for themselves!

Why was the dean turnover so fast?

Also, people really like to attribute a school to board scores, but as long as you have an MCAT over 24 (Number coming from a prof at my school who is really into statistical analsysis) you stand a pretty fair shot at doing well if you're driven enough. They are required to present the same classes.

Now, how one performs clinically in the future is really the ideal metric. Also, a few years is a really short time. When born into controversey, it behests them to make absolutely damn sure the students perform well at first. The for-profit deal runs on a continuum and spans much longer than 3 years.

Which ones?

I want to do ortho so i have only researched those programs: drexel, UMDNJ, UCLA, UCSD. I'm sure that there are others. Some programs want undergrad transcripts and SAT scores too. When it comes to competitive specialties, everything matters.

^^ ACGME Ortho at a UC as a DO ... ???!!?

may the force be with you my son :thumbup:

^^ ACGME Ortho at a UC as a DO ... ???!!?

may the force be with you my son :thumbup:

when you're at the top there's no sense in not trying to stay there. i know its damn near impossible but a handful of people with my stats do it every year.

when you're at the top there's no sense in not trying to stay there. i know its damn near impossible but a handful of people with my stats do it every year.

You won't get any flak from me! Go for it. Personally, I would probably try to apply AOA and ACGME though (and happily take the AOA spot if matched first). Good luck!