Rosalind Franklin ADCOM meeting => the wait continues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of all the last minute arrangments we will need to make with loans, housing, etc. I hope they let us know. Oh yeah, Who else is gonna do the BMS program if they dont get in?

If I don't get in, I probably do another SMP. I might need some time away from Chicago :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares :laugh: I will live in a box and sell myself on the corner Greenbay and Buckley to start med school this fall ;)

But really, yeah it will be a pain, but I am sure it won't be a big deal.

as long as they accept us...it don't matter if it is last minute or several months in advance..

as long as they accept us...it don't matter if it is last minute or several months in advance..

Are you a chicago native? I live about 50 miles from RFU, about 1.5 to 2 hours in traffic and about 50 min at night. I am ready to go in a heart beat :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't sleep...any other RFU Hopeful Insomniacs out there...

I hate Sunday... no mail!

Go Sox! (I only care about two teams winning in baseball - the Cardinals, and whomever is playing the Cubs).
:cool:

You just did not say that!!! Cubs sweeep today!!! The White Sox are actually a team that belongs to Northwest Indiana, they are just renting space in city limits of Chicago :smuggrin:

Are you a chicago native? I live about 50 miles from RFU, about 1.5 to 2 hours in traffic and about 50 min at night. I am ready to go in a heart beat :p

no...about 4.5-5 hour drive to chicago.

So I had the 'official' college graduation ceremony today. I grad in Dec. in reality so it was just a formality and something my parents wanted to see me do I guess.
The speakers blew, but I was constantly reminded of how we control our own destiny. This reminded me of the medical school predicament most of us are facing. The faithful on this thread do not have acceptances they are holding on to. Some of us (such as myself) will be going to a different school, others may pursue a masters, some may consider the Carribean. Whatever the case is, I think its important to remember that we control our future. We controlled the grades we got in college, how prepared we were for the mcat. Whatever the case may be, the only thing we can now do is work our hardest and clear the paths that we want to take.
Whatever decision is to be reached is now out of our hands, the only thing we can do is wait patiently and have faith that the decision which is best for us will be reached.

That is my random thought for the day. Hopefully in the coming weeks I will be able to remember this, and be happy with whatever decision is reached.
As usual, good luck.

So I had the 'official' college graduation ceremony today. I grad in Dec. in reality so it was just a formality and something my parents wanted to see me do I guess.
The speakers blew, but I was constantly reminded of how we control our own destiny. This reminded me of the medical school predicament most of us are facing. The faithful on this thread do not have acceptances they are holding on to. Some of us (such as myself) will be going to a different school, others may pursue a masters, some may consider the Carribean. Whatever the case is, I think its important to remember that we control our future. We controlled the grades we got in college, how prepared we were for the mcat. Whatever the case may be, the only thing we can now do is work our hardest and clear the paths that we want to take.
Whatever decision is to be reached is now out of our hands, the only thing we can do is wait patiently and have faith that the decision which is best for us will be reached.

That is my random thought for the day. Hopefully in the coming weeks I will be able to remember this, and be happy with whatever decision is reached.
As usual, good luck.

Great Post BD :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

As usual, good luck.

nice!

Hahah, yep. I feel that way too.

On the bright side of things it's sunny outside, I have a softball game today, and I sent in the SGU application! Yet, none of those outweigh my emotion from my impending doom....

OH yeah, and the white sox won...which curbs the feeling a little bit more. :D

Someone needs to find out when the next adcom meeting is.

Hahah, yep. I feel that way too.

On the bright side of things it's sunny outside, I have a softball game today, and I sent in the SGU application! Yet, none of those outweigh my emotion from my impending doom....

no sun here...it was raining few hours ago.

Don't be afraid, no harm in asking, even if it is like every month!:thumbup: Personally, I would love for them (RFU adcom) to just accept all of us already so that we can move on with our lives. I need to get a new apartment, but don't want to sign a 1yr lease if I am not going to live here anymore...anyone with me on this?:scared:

Best,:luck:
nanomed

Don't be afraid, no harm in asking, even if it is like every month!:thumbup: Personally, I would love for them (RFU adcom) to just accept all of us already so that we can move on with our lives. I need to get a new apartment, but don't want to sign a 1yr lease if I am not going to live here anymore...anyone with me on this?:scared:

Best,:luck:
nanomed

OH, I'm totally with you on it. I need to find something with insurance soon because mine on my parents expires soon (I'm diabetic). That means I either need to get a fulltime job, or get into medical school. The wait is killing me.

OH, I'm totally with you on it. I need to find something with insurance soon because mine on my parents expires soon (I'm diabetic). That means I either need to get a fulltime job, or get into medical school. The wait is killing me.

Let list the multitude of problems of not getting into anywhere have caused us:

1. Insurance-expiring soon..
2. Don't know where to live...
3. Finances--How to quit your job, look for a new one, etc
4. REAPPLYING? Where, how do we get the money, when do we apply?
5. Increasing stress levels--decreasing healthy outcomes
6. Parental Displeasure and stress
7. To take the MCAT again or not?
8. DO or Carribean
9. Questioning your own self-worth, worthiness for medical school etc...
10. Constant checking of SDN
11. Stress from other friends and family--"where are you going? You didnt get in yet", explaining wait lists and holds...

8. DO or Carribean
11. Stress from other friends and family--"where are you going? You didnt get in yet", explaining wait lists and holds...

HAHAHAHA. I laughed pretty hard when I read this. I don't know if it's inherently funny or if it just rings so true with me that all I CAN do is laugh....

8. DO or Carribean

Indeed.. on that point how many of you are rewriting the MCAT??.. I know I am and not a bright idea since I dont know what to work on esp since its CBT plus verbal has always been my area of weakness and I seriously am not sure how to improve at times.. I fluctuate way too much!! and restudy the sciences? I hope thats not necessary... when are you guys writing yours?

Indeed.. on that point how many of you are rewriting the MCAT??.. I know I am and not a bright idea since I dont know what to work on esp since its CBT plus verbal has always been my area of weakness and I seriously am not sure how to improve at times.. I fluctuate way too much!! and restudy the sciences? I hope thats not necessary... when are you guys writing yours?

I was planning late July (have to register in June for it). I have been studying, but I don't have very much material to "practice" with, you know? I also hear you on the verbal. I fluctuate way too much. I sometimes wonder if I have ADD and it just depends on how focused I am when I take it.

On a side note in order to motivate me, how much have you guys been studying?? It's maybe, at MOST, one hour a day....which is nothing.

8. DO or Carribean

Word up. :mad:

For the verbal on the mcat I would advise Examkrackers. They have one book which has somewhere around 11 practice tests (full length as of the old written mcat, i would still use it though and it will help buid endurance). Another book is a skinny one with some exercises, but more importantly tips. I said f* you to princeton reviews tips, did only what examkr. said; and I miraculously scored my highest verbal ever on the real deal! God was def. with me on that section. If it were not for my lucky verbal, I'd have re-taken the mcat last Aug.

I convinced to my roommates to sign a 3-month lease extension, so I'll have my apartment until August. Surprisingly, the leasing office was willing to negotiate a fairly small rent increase. Otherwise, I'd be moving out in June with nowhere to go...

I wish I could have written my MCAT. Each section would consist of one MC question with the each answer being "A". :laugh:

45, here I come!

8. DO or Carribean

Agreeing with this doesn't do justice to how truthful it is. Mom keeps saying "why don't you just apply Caribbean?" and then, figuring out the whole what to do next year situation. Rough 12 months. Ahh, Dreams deferred.

Agreeing with this doesn't do justice to how truthful it is. Mom keeps saying "why don't you just apply Caribbean?" and then, figuring out the whole what to do next year situation. Rough 12 months. Ahh, Dreams deferred.

haha, I just read your quote. Love Mitch Hedberg

8. DO or Carribean

Hey, did you end up volunteering. It was pretty fun! That might, however, be because I was working with a girl that I really like....:)

I wouldn't apply to the Caribbean until you have been rejected 2 or 3 times by US schools.

Guys I was just thinking. Maybe I won't reapply for this coming cycle. It'll give me more time to take the MCAT, find a better job, and not put a lot of pressure on me because of applying later. That would be, however, an extra two years.

Ughhhh. I dunno. I'm so tired of this. I need major prayer.....

haha, I just read your quote. Love Mitch Hedberg

Comic Genius. Love the fact that he could make people laugh without talking about race, unlike everyone else nowadays.

I wouldn't apply to the Caribbean until you have been rejected 2 or 3 times by US schools.

I've decided to try one more time before I apply. Hopefully, I don't have to apply to the Caribbean.

Why not? I just did......???

My reason is because you are given better support here. Better Match too. Plus, I don't want to live in the Caribbean.

If you're determined to be a good doctor and study your butt off in the Caribbean schools and do well on your boards, you can Match well too. The stats just aren't with the Caribbean schools though. Always have outliers though.

Guys I was just thinking. Maybe I won't reapply for this coming cycle. It'll give me more time to take the MCAT, find a better job, and not put a lot of pressure on me because of applying later. That would be, however, an extra two years.

Ughhhh. I dunno. I'm so tired of this. I need major prayer.....

What's your view on DO?

Why not? I just did......???

Because you'll run into a lot more problems as an IMG.

That said, there's nothing wrong with being an IMG (trust me, no one is going to ask or care where you went to medical while you're on the floors) but why put yourself through all that trouble if you don't need to.

If you get rejected from US med schools, so what? Go talk to them and find out why (if they'll give you a real reason). Then, take a year to fix your application and reapply. If you get turned down again but you still really want to be a doctor, then apply to the Caribbean (with HIGH preference to SGU).

What's your view on DO?

I'm warming up to the idea, but I still want an MD. I dunno. I just feel like I would be selling myself short if I went DO. I know I might get a lot of backlash saying that, but that's how I feel at the moment.

Plus, I wonder how a DO is approached in comparison to an MD overseas and how differently the would work? My ultimate goal is to go back into the mission field, doesn't really matter where (although, africa is my top choice). I just wonder how different it would be for a DO? Are they internationally recognized? etc. If, on the other hand, I were to go to SGU and get an MD AND have all that tropical medicine exposure, that might be a good thing. I plan on specializing into family medicine or peds, so I doubt it would be too hard to match.

My goal is not to make money nor to be the top in my field. I just want to be a doctor with no strings attached socially or what have you.

I'll be withdrawing my application in a day or two (still on hold, and I called again this morning). Hopefully that helps you guys out!

Btw, when I called this morning the lady was really short with me on the phone. She seemed annoyed that I was calling and I think I've only called to check on my stuff twice in the whole process, so I'm not sure what that was all about. Maybe if their school had a little more organized acceptance procedure and they gave people an idea of where they stand, they wouldn't have a bunch of people calling every day to check on their stuff. [/end rant]

Anyways :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'll be withdrawing my application in a day or two (still on hold, and I called again this morning). Hopefully that helps you guys out!

Btw, when I called this morning the lady was really short with me on the phone. She seemed annoyed that I was calling and I think I've only called to check on my stuff twice in the whole process, so I'm not sure what that was all about. Maybe if their school had a little more organized acceptance procedure and they gave people an idea of where they stand, they wouldn't have a bunch of people calling every day to check on their stuff. [/end rant]

Anyways :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks! Good luck at Rush. My buddy Jonathon Koehler is going there too. Hopefully you'll meet him!

I'm warming up to the idea, but I still want an MD. I dunno. I just feel like I would be selling myself short if I went DO. I know I might get a lot of backlash saying that, but that's how I feel at the moment.

Plus, I wonder how a DO is approached in comparison to an MD overseas and how differently the would work? My ultimate goal is to go back into the mission field, doesn't really matter where (although, africa is my top choice). I just wonder how different it would be for a DO? Are they internationally recognized? etc. If, on the other hand, I were to go to SGU and get an MD AND have all that tropical medicine exposure, that might be a good thing. I plan on specializing into family medicine or peds, so I doubt it would be too hard to match.

My goal is not to make money nor to be the top in my field. I just want to be a doctor with no strings attached socially or what have you.

MD is the universally-recognized medical degree. A lot of places outside the US won't know what a DO is but this is changing. Much of it has to do with the fact that osteopathy was started in the US in 1874 by Andrew Still and the principles haven't made their way "around the world".

Also, because only about 6% of physicians are DOs, many patients are unaware that MD=DO. I've never seen it but I've heard of situations where a patient has asked a DO when they'll get to see the doctor.

I feel you. I won't get pissed at all, I understand what you're saying. I applied d.o. not until october, just bc i had bad feeling that this whole med school thing wasn't going to have the greatest ending. I will tell you right now that i wish i would have an md next to my name. its more recognized. but in the end, i'm not willing to wait for a year just to change 2 letters. im going to midwestern, and i lovee the school. if it were md, it would be my #1 choice. in the end the choice is personal, and i respect the way you feel about it.
also, even with carribean, people are going to say oh he's an md, BUT he went to the carribean. no matter where you go, there will always be a but. when a uic grad is introduced to some top doc from harvard, it will be he's a anesthesiologist, BUT he graduated from uic.
so yeah, in the end, just do what makes you happy. if you don't think you can live with it, then obviously its not for you.

also, you're right on the int'l practice rights. d.o.'s do not have it in all countries across the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.