Rosalind Franklin BMS 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey drake,
i recently purchased books for the courses (biochem, neuroanatomy, physilogy, MCB)
do the professors cover all the materials in the book?
or how should i prepare for the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey drake,
i recently purchased books for the courses (biochem, neuroanatomy, physilogy, MCB)

Did you get last year's editions or did you purchase the newest editions of the books aforementioned?

Hey Guys

I have textbooks for sale - all the ones you will need.

If you buy the biochem and resp. phys from me I will include everything else - neuroscience, MCB, healthcare management (if you take the same courses) notes, etc. Please private msg me for further details.

Did you get last year's editions or did you purchase the newest editions of the books aforementioned?

If you boil it down you ONLY really need the neuroscience textbooks (neuroanatomy and purves)

Using the resp phys and biochem might be helpful.

But other than that you don't need any other textbook, you will be wasting your time/money on things that don't matter on spending less time on the things that really matter (the slide show notes / prof's notes)

hey drake,

1) You should relax.

2) Read BRS physiology

3) You will probably only have time throughout the year to read the neuroscience textbooks (neuroanatomy atlas, maybe the purves textbook)

4) The profs really boil it down to what you need to know in their notes and slides...I would only go to the textbook if you are confused.

Again last year there were only 2 questions I know of (in biochem) that were solely from the text. The first one on PDH complex you could have answered without the textbook, the second one from Dr. Harrison, he annouced to read the 3 pages out of the textbook - so technically you should have gotten that....other than those 2 questions I can`t think of any other questions in any of the 4 CMS courses that had questions from hte textbook. On the other hnad close to 100% of the questions from the exams were from the notes....

short story: memorize and know the notes profs give you they are already more than enough

Hey all,

I just wanted to double check what books are used in BMS.

a MCB textbook?
a biochemistry textbook?
*BRS Physiology
*West Respiratory Physiology
*Vander's Renal Physiology
*Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas
Purves Neuroscience

Does anybody know which biochem and MCB textbooks are used? Also, the * books are the ones I'm planning on getting, if anyone cares to comment about that..

Rock out BMS '12!!!!! Can't wait to meet you all!!

heyyy everyone!!

I'm coming all the way from Cali sometime in July. I thought it would be sweet if everyone joined the facebook group for the incoming BMSers, so we could all get an idea of who will be in the program this fall! Can't wait to meet you all :)

Rosalind Franklin University BMS 2012

heyyy everyone!!

I'm coming all the way from Cali sometime in July. I thought it would be sweet if everyone joined the facebook group for the incoming BMSers, so we could all get an idea of who will be in the program this fall! Can't wait to meet you all :)

Sweet. I guess I won't be the only one. I anticipate some good number of Californians.
Good Luck to all.

Hi everyone,
I have 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment on Woodlands. I'm looking for a clean, quiet female roommate. P.M. me if you are interested please?

Thank you!

Anyone hear anything about how many spots are left in the program? I emailed them some questions about my application and they responded nicely but forgot to ask them about this. I'm weary of sending another email.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
we do not know how many there are left, but
you should call them.

heyyy everyone!!

Ya, I think Facebook will be a better way of communicating with one another. We can actually put faces and real names to all these messages. :p Looking forward to meeting all of you!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_173606959355237&ap=1

For those accepted...

Did you submit some sort of resume/CV?

How important do you feel your letters of recommendation were, especially if they were from MDs or DOs?

I didn't submit a CV but since I applied to RFUMS last year I had them pull the data off my AMCAS.

I don't know how much they value LORs. I had 2 science professors and one research PI for my letters. 2 of them were really good and one kinda bland.

For past BMSers or future ones with such knowledge,

What are some things to do during the M1a year? I know CMS has MD/MS (another, you can do it in Neuroscience, etc) and MD with Distinction in Research option? Anyone think they will persue that?

Also, does serving as a TA or any of the wavied BMS courses come with monetary compensation?

Also, any BMSers lived downtown or at least south enough where you had to commute via metra? How did it work out?

Thanks.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself buddy. Ask that question exactly one year from now once you are in:) Sure the odds are with you once you are in the BMS program, however getting into CMS isn't a guarantee.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself buddy. Ask that question exactly one year from now once you are in:) Sure the odds are with you once you are in the BMS program, however getting into CMS isn't a guarantee.

Yeah I'm actually applying to BU MAMS and Tufts MBS. All three are excellent programs.

To old BMSers and new ones, any info regarding the Health Insurance provided by the university? Does it cover Dental and Vision?

For past BMSers or future ones with such knowledge,

What are some things to do during the M1a year? I know CMS has MD/MS (another, you can do it in Neuroscience, etc) and MD with Distinction in Research option? Anyone think they will persue that?

Also, does serving as a TA or any of the wavied BMS courses come with monetary compensation?

Also, any BMSers lived downtown or at least south enough where you had to commute via metra? How did it work out?

Thanks.

U are worrying about the wrong things....u aren't even in CMS yet lol

yea,

i mean a C in one of the medical school courses will significantly hurt your chances at CMS, so I really wouldn't focus on what to do there until you are actually there.

Last edited:
There are two options for the student health insurance - plan A or B. Plan B is the basic plan they automatically sign you up for unless you provide proof of other insurance. I think it pays 80% in network and has a higher deductible. I have Plan A which pays 90% in network with a $500 deductible. I've found that almost every doctor in the area accepts the insurance and I've had no problems with it. The plan does NOT include dental or vision, but the school does offer a dental/vision plan which you can choose to purchase, but it is only required that you maintain health insurance. You can look on the RFU website under Current Students and then click on Student Insurance to see the details of each of the plans.

To old BMSers and new ones, any info regarding the Health Insurance provided by the university? Does it cover Dental and Vision?

For the person that pm'ed me about how to prepare w/ textbooks in the summer...

I would urge u to relax this summer, its gomna to be a heck of a school year..during the year I think mostly u have to focus on the slide show notes/ slides anyways during the schhool year but if u are really itching to do sumthing this summer....

1) Read BRS physiology, use last year's scheudle to determine wat topics were covered

For the textbooks u absolutely need (in order of importance)

1) Neuroscience textbooks (atlas by haines)

1a) BRS phys

2) Resp physiology - i found it difficult to read but the prof/TAs say its a must...

3) Biochem - both lippincott amd the one reommended are good but it depends on how time u will have

4) HCAM textbooks - u can rent them at the library...i bought them for future reference and out of covenience and most on half.com are really cheap ne ways,

5) The rest of the textbooks... u will not need and u will be wasting ur time if u read the textbook...on stuff that really matters (slide show notes / slides)

Hey guys! I signed a lease for a 2 bedroom, 2 bedroom apartment at the woodlands apartments (it's the dual entry one). Buut, my roommate is not going to Rosalind anymore..eek haha. If any girls are looking for an apartment, send me a message :)

Does anybody know if the exam schedule can be found anywhere?

I believe exams are taken every other monday (?), and would like to make/solidify some plans on the "off" weekends that are not immediately before an exam.

Or, can any former BMSers remember when they got this schedule?

Just accepted into BU MAMS! I'm pretty sure I'm going there. I've been working as a cytotechnologist since I was 22 (now 26) (esp. close to Pathologists) and really admire BU's Department of Pathology (no it's not just forensics/autopsy) and Laboratory Medicine. I hope to work closely in that department.

I'm pretty set on Pathology as a speciality. Treating/talking to patients doesn't interest me. I'm more into looking into a microscope and diagnosing things.

2ndaries sent out today. Just got mine. Make sure you fill them out guys. Getting a 4.0 in the BMS program is pointless if you did not apply to CMS :)

hey bryan,
would you mind sharing what kind of essays they were asking you to write?
im still waiting for them to send me secondaries
thanks

to the poster please read my prev. post

I took the following - all were very manageable, lowest mark was 98.8...

Fall - leadership/strategic planning

Winter- Ethics / healtcare delivery --> both courses help u for interview

Spring - informatics

On the day you pick courses: they have a very quick presentation during orientation then u pick right away.

to the poster please read my prev. post

I took the following - all were very manageable, lowest mark was 98.8...

Fall - leadership/strategic planning

Winter- Ethics / healtcare delivery --> both courses help u for interview

Spring - informatics

On the day you pick courses: they have a very quick presentation during orientation then u pick right away.

Drake,

What made you decide on taking those particular courses as the HCAM track and not others?

What is your stand and/or insights on the following two courses in the HCAM track:

#1- Marketing Healthcare vs. Healthcare Delivery Systems.
#2- Practice Management vs. Healthcare Informatics.

N.B. I did review the courses description through the RFU website as I know that you completed the Healthcare Delivery Systems and Healthcare Informatics. However, I was wondering if you know the opinion of someone who took the Marketing Healthcare and Practice Management.

Last edited:
to former or incoming BMSers,
i have a question.
I want to apply to other med schools as well as CMS.
However, my MCAT score is not that great (high 20s) so i want to take the MCAT before I go to chicago.
Do you guys think this is a good idea?
or should I take the MCAT and apply to other schools as well?
I know CMS is my best bet.
Also, when i have gotten the score for the MCAT, do you think 3 points increase is a big deal? or if it doesnt, how much would it be considered a big jump?

Drake,

What made you decide on taking those particular courses as the HCAM track and not others?
However, I was wondering if you know the opinion of someone who took the Marketing Healthcare and Practice Management.

I chose my courses based on what my OA told me.

Marketing should be alright if Prof Bridges teaches it. She's the director of the HCAM prgm, veery nice person. I know a student who got a really high 90s in marketing...but the fact of the matter is it shouldn't be too hard to get an A in HCAM courses, u just need to make sure u do all the work and you don't miss deadlines. That seems like common sense but when u do the course u will definitely get the sense that many people half-a@@ their work - and the funny thing is they will still get high 90s.

Practice mgmt is alot of work from wat i hear, the goal of the course is to help u run a practice. I would avoid that course.

Overall the HCAM degree should not be ur priority this year but u must get As so it will not ruin ur GPA, I suggest u just choose the easiest courses even if other courses interest u so u hve more time to spend on CMS courses.

Would those people who were accepted this year mind post their GPA and MCAT? Thanks! :D

to former or incoming BMSers,
i have a question.
I want to apply to other med schools as well as CMS.
However, my MCAT score is not that great (high 20s) so i want to take the MCAT before I go to chicago.
Do you guys think this is a good idea?
or should I take the MCAT and apply to other schools as well?
I know CMS is my best bet.
Also, when i have gotten the score for the MCAT, do you think 3 points increase is a big deal? or if it doesnt, how much would it be considered a big jump?

Same thing for me, I signed up for the August 5th date to retake and have been studying but know I am leaning towards canceling my test date, so I can work on secondaries and transition to move over to North Chicago in early August. I have a 30S score, with a 10-11-9 breakdown, should I bother retaking it at all? Would it help a lot or would it just be more stress?

I wouldn't bother retaking the MCAT UNLESS your goal is to get accepted to a school other than CMS. Once you are into the BMS program, you are a clean slate and your acceptance is contingent upon your success in the program. And with a 30, you're not exactly hurting in the MCAT department...

Same thing for me, I signed up for the August 5th date to retake and have been studying but know I am leaning towards canceling my test date, so I can work on secondaries and transition to move over to North Chicago in early August. I have a 30S score, with a 10-11-9 breakdown, should I bother retaking it at all? Would it help a lot or would it just be more stress?

Secondary questions for CMS:

1) At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

2) Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

3) How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?

Secondary questions for CMS:

1) At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

2) Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

3) How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?

Thank you so much, DoctaBryan. Do you mind sharing the character/word/page limit for the secondary questions? Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much, DoctaBryan. Do you mind sharing the character/word/page limit for the secondary questions? Thanks in advance!
There is no mention of character limits. They just give you a big white empty box to copy and paste your essay into. I plan on making mine a page and a half long at most.

There is no mention of character limits. They just give you a big white empty box to copy and paste your essay into. I plan on making mine a page and a half long at most.

A page and a half might be okay, but I made mine no longer than 500 words. Most secondaries I've filled out ask for 400-600 words in their essays, and I feel like the person on the adcom who reviews your app may not want to read a page and a half of stuff. be concise and make the words matter- i think anyone can say what they need to in <500 words imho.

bdvz, my mcat was a 28Q and my gpa a 2.89. i know, definitely on the low side, but i've been told i'm not up **** creek or anything. so don't worry too much if your stats are low, unless of course you are trying for a different med program.

i'm heading down on the 30th of july, and i can't wait to meet you all :)

Drake,

Thanks a bunch for all the good insight. It was definitely a good one.

I chose my courses based on what my OA told me.

Marketing should be alright if Prof Bridges teaches it. She's the director of the HCAM prgm, veery nice person. I know a student who got a really high 90s in marketing...but the fact of the matter is it shouldn't be too hard to get an A in HCAM courses, u just need to make sure u do all the work and you don't miss deadlines. That seems like common sense but when u do the course u will definitely get the sense that many people half-a@@ their work - and the funny thing is they will still get high 90s.

Practice mgmt is alot of work from wat i hear, the goal of the course is to help u run a practice. I would avoid that course.

Overall the HCAM degree should not be ur priority this year but u must get As so it will not ruin ur GPA, I suggest u just choose the easiest courses even if other courses interest u so u hve more time to spend on CMS courses.

Happy 4th of July to all of ya!!
God Bless America; land of the free and home of the brave!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I am a former BMS and now going to start as a medical student. I'm really excited and am very open to share my experience (pros, cons, etc..).

So I'm looking to share an apartment with a quiet, studious, serious BMS student.

I stayed at the Woodlands on the Bay during my BMS year and it was the most convenient (closer than on-campus stuent housing and cheaper!).

I am willing to join with someone if they already have an apartment at woodlands (preferably 2 bedroom and 2 bath) but you can join me as well. I have an apartment pending either 2 bedroom 2 bath, dual entry or 2 bedroom 1 bath.

Check out the website for more details. http://woodlandsongreenbay.com/rent/index.html

Message me if you are interested for my contacts and more!

Has anyone received an email about appointment times for moving into on campus housing? I was told that we would get an email to set up a time for moving in at the end of june/beginning of july...

Has anyone received an email about appointment times for moving into on campus housing? I was told that we would get an email to set up a time for moving in at the end of june/beginning of july...

I haven't, and I'm hoping that info comes really soon...