Rosalind Franklin BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unz was referring to being accepted into the medical school. Good luck unzbuzzled. I received the automated email today stating my application is under review for those interested.

I was just gonna post that I received the e-mail as well. Does anyone know the exact timeline for decisions then?

Good luck to all!
 
Hello everybody,

I received an email from RFU yesterday. They said all of my materials have been received (I sent my application in early January) and that my application is currently being reviewed.
 
I was just gonna post that I received the e-mail as well. Does anyone know the exact timeline for decisions then?

Good luck to all!

From posts in previous years, it looks like acceptance letters start being sent out during the last week in Feburary/first week in March. As for an exact timeline, you would probably have to contact RFU.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you show a lot of interest by emailing/calling you will most likely get in off the waitlist. I think they accept the majority of students in late April/May the current cycle is finished
 
If you show a lot of interest by emailing/calling you will most likely get in off the waitlist. I think they accept the majority of students in late April/May the current cycle is finished

Thanks for the advice. I was contemplating doing this, but now I will do for sure
 
hey guys,i am not sure what i should do here. i got my mcat score back today and i bombed with 6 on verbal. (11 6 10). Should I retake it before and apply or just apply with that score? I feel like it might be too late to retake it and apply
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,i am not sure what i should do here. i got my mcat score back today and i bombed with 6 on verbal. (11 6 10). Should I retake it before and apply or just apply with that score? I feel like it might be too late to retake it and apply

I don't think a 27 will keep you out of consideration. From posts during previous years, it looks like a lot of people were admitted into the program with an MCAT score less than yours. My opinion would be to apply now, given your gpa isn't abysmal and your ECs are solid. If you were able to take the next exam at the end of March, given all the spaces aren't taken at your testing center, you wouldn't have your score back until the end of April. I would think that's getting pretty late, though people are admitted beyond that time.

Lets say you score 2 points higher on verbal, what is more important, that 2 points or the two months earlier that you could have been under consideration? I personally don't know. You could always do both. Apply now, if you get wait listed, send them your updated MCAT.

If it were me, I would apply. I'm sure others on here will have their opinion about your situation as well, but you'll ultimately have to make your own decision. Good luck.
 
hey guys,i am not sure what i should do here. i got my mcat score back today and i bombed with 6 on verbal. (11 6 10). Should I retake it before and apply or just apply with that score? I feel like it might be too late to retake it and apply

I would apply with that score. If I felt I could get my score above a 30 I would also retake in march. I have been wait listed at a few of the real competitive smps and all of them told me that if I retook the mcat I could send my scores in and they would re review. Last year for evms someone said they sent in their new mcat and got accepted the same day.
 
Received the good news today in the mail. Best of luck to everyone that still waiting and applying.! and best wises to my fellow classmates for the 12-13 school year.
 
I received the big envelope as well. I'm looking forward to getting started in the fall. Best of luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet or who is currently on the wait list.
 
I got my envelope in the mail today as well. I got in 🙂

Also, I feel like giving my .02$ to those considering retaking the MCAT. I do not claim to be an authority on the subject by any means either! However, I wouldn't recommend retaking the MCAT to get into this particular program. If you want to apply to other competitive MD programs... then you should probably retake it. I took the MCAT multiple times and bombed it. I know people who were admitted to and successful in Rosalind Franklin's medical school with low MCAT scores [they did not retake] after completing the BMS program. I guess all I am trying to say is do not lose hope!

good luck to those still waiting to hear back and to those who have been wait listed!
 
Last edited:
Could someone please give me a gist of the letter? My letter went to a family member who hasnt been responsive in faxing it to me. Are there any deadlines? when do we have to confirm? thanks!
 
You have two week to submit your intention to accept. Also you need to submit a 100 dollar deposit.
 
I applied for the student housing back in mid January... unfortunately I just received an email and I did not get it 🙁

It's based on a lottery system, not first come first serve, and I have notoriously bad luck. Does anybody know if it is possible to still get student housing if I am on another wait list or lottery draw? When I visited the campus back a few months ago I really, really liked it! I don't really want to live in the Woodlands.

cheers!
 
I applied for the student housing back in mid January... unfortunately I just received an email and I did not get it 🙁

It's based on a lottery system, not first come first serve, and I have notoriously bad luck. Does anybody know if it is possible to still get student housing if I am on another wait list or lottery draw? When I visited the campus back a few months ago I really, really liked it! I don't really want to live in the Woodlands.

cheers!

Did you not get on campus housing because of the actual lottery results or because you weren't listed as attending a RFU program? It would seem silly to offer people a spot in housing before they committed to attending the school. I pulled this from the website:

Important Dates:

  • March 23. 2012
    New Student Applications due to Student Housing by 4pm for priority consideration for the lottery
  • Week of April 16, 2012
    Student Housing lottery

  • Week of April 23, 2012
    Notification of lottery results via email and Contract Distribution
  • May 11, 2012
    New Student Contracts and prepayments due to Student Housing by 4pm

I would submit an application again closer to March 23rd and make sure RFU received your acceptance and deposit.
 
Last edited:
Did you not get on campus housing because of the actual lottery results or because you weren't listed as attending a RFU program? It would seem silly to offer people a spot in housing before they committed to attending the school. I pulled this from the website:

Important Dates:

  • March 23. 2012
    New Student Applications due to Student Housing by 4pm for priority consideration for the lottery
  • Week of April 16, 2012
    Student Housing lottery

  • Week of April 23, 2012
    Notification of lottery results via email and Contract Distribution
  • May 11, 2012
    New Student Contracts and prepayments due to Student Housing by 4pm
I would submit an application again closer to March 23rd and made sure RFU received your acceptance and deposit.

thanks for the response! I have been admitted to the program... I found out a few days ago. I still have to send my $100 deposit though. I will email student housing and see what happens.
 
I would prefer to live on campus. The dorms look pretty decent.

The dorms are very nice. Woodlands is pretty good too IMO (that's where I live, and will live next year). Both come out roughly the same price, and are within walking distance of campus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

A few of you have contacted me privately about information related to BMS/CMS. I will try to get back to each of you in a timely manner, or else I will have another BMS student/ M1A get in touch with you (Btw, an M1A here is a current medical student who was previously successful in the BMS program). Keep the questions coming- it's a good idea to know what you're getting into.

Best,

Unz
 
Hey guys,

A few of you have contacted me privately about information related to BMS/CMS. I will try to get back to each of you in a timely manner, or else I will have another BMS student/ M1A get in touch with you (Btw, an M1A here is a current medical student who was previously successful in the BMS program). Keep the questions coming- it's a good idea to know what you're getting into.

Best,

Unz

If there are any relevant questions/answers that could benefit us all, would you mind posting them on the board? I, for one, am very excited about starting in August and would love any advice thrown my way.
 
My room at woodlands (2bed) will be available from late May to end of July. If anyone is interested in moving in early, let me know.
 
for those who have heard back, how long did it take since submitting your app to receive a decision? my full application should be in this week and i am trying to get an idea of when i will hear
 
for those who have heard back, how long did it take since submitting your app to receive a decision? my full application should be in this week and i am trying to get an idea of when i will hear

Jan 3rd - Sent in materials
Feb 21st - Email confirmation that my materials were received and was under consideration
March 2nd - Acceptance letter received in the mail
 
If there are any relevant questions/answers that could benefit us all, would you mind posting them on the board? I, for one, am very excited about starting in August and would love any advice thrown my way.

Most of the private messages I’ve been getting are about personal chances and such. Some of the big points (in my opinion) are as follows.

If you have a sub 2.5 undergrad GPA, it’s unlikely you will get into BMS, but it’s certainly worth a shot. The chances of you being outright accepted into a U.S. med school with a <2.5 is almost negligible, even if you get an insanely good MCAT score and have good ECs. For those of you in that situation, the most realistic option is to look into a different career choice or take more years of undergrad to boost that GPA. Even most PhD programs require a 3.0+ GPA, so you have some work to do. I haven’t met anyone in BMS with a sub 2.5, but it’s not impossible if you can prove you really, truly want to be a physician.

For those of you with a sub 3.0 GPA, give BMS a shot. I have met several people sub 3.0 (although close to 3.0) who are doing very well academically here. I had a 2.9 uGPA 3.0 sci, and as of now I have a 4.0 in BMS (although I will probably get a B in physio). The admissions committee doesn’t guarantee anything, but it’s generally accepted that they overlook a low undergrad GPA if you shine in BMS.

For those of you thinking about applying to lots of other medical schools, I have a few things to say. First of all, if you think you have a realistic shot at getting in somewhere, apply. For those of you unsure of your chances, apply. For those of you who know you will likely not get in anywhere without first doing an SMP, I’d advise you to still apply to a handful of other schools, but don’t waste your time and money applying to too many. I applied to 10 schools and then ended up only submitting secondaries to 5 schools, because once BMS started, I knew that I wouldn’t have the time or money to fly all over the country interviewing for positions I was unlikely to get. I only ended up applying to schools in the Chicago area, so I could drive to interviews and be able to save time and money. Many people are in BMS because their chances of acceptance to CMS are much higher than anywhere else if they do well. You should apply to a few other schools as a hail Mary attempt, but unless you have great stats, you should be in the mindset that CMS is your only realistic option.

As far as grades you need to get in BMS, I’d say you should obviously try for a 4.0. I’ve been told that you absolutely need Bs in the med courses and As in the online courses, and that you should avoid getting Cs like the plague. That being said, people have gotten into CMS with Cs in BMS, and some people with As have gotten rejected. It is worth noting that your chances of being rejected with all As and Bs is much lower than if you have any Cs on your transcript, and getting into CMS with any Cs is very low. Nothing is guaranteed, and nothing is impossible.

As far as workload, I study 10-12 hours a day including going to class (so 4-8 outside of class). I take some days off to stay sane, but those days are few and far in between, especially since physio started. I find that some people seem to retain information easily and probably don’t study as much, and I know people who study more than me and have a harder time. Luckily I found a study plan that works very well for me, but unfortunately it takes a larger time investment than what other people do. I also tend to get all of the lecture notes read before the actual lectures are presented so I know all the terms and can pick out important concepts easier. So I am up until whenever I need to be the night before a lecture getting all my notes done. And by the weekend before each exam, I have already reviewed all my notes and flashcards several times so I can concentrate on doing old exams and taking it easy. I found that this technique takes more time, but relieves the most stress and gives me more confidence. Different techniques work for different people, and each of you will find in a hurry what you need to do to be successful, or else it will be a very rough year indeed.

Those are the big things for now. If there are any other questions, just holler.

Best,
Unz
 
for those who have heard back, how long did it take since submitting your app to receive a decision? my full application should be in this week and i am trying to get an idea of when i will hear

Sent in my application at the end of Jan.
Received an Email Feb. 21 that my application is being reviewed
March first- letter of acceptance
 
Anyone interested in getting a 2 bedroom at the woodlands?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using SDN Mobile
 
I would. But I have to get off the waitlist first 8/. Has anyone who was waitlisted been moved off of it?
 
I would. But I have to get off the waitlist first 8/. Has anyone who was waitlisted been moved off of it?

There's historically been a lot of movement for the BMS program because quite a few people end up deciding to try a different grad program or get accepted off wait lists at other medical schools. Don't lose hope🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is orientation from the 7th-10th??? or do we only need to attend one of those dates??

I just got an email from Melissa Knox saying orientation is August 7-10 but the 7th is only in the evening.

Sent from my HTC PH39100
 
Hey has anyone heard of housing from a guy named Ned? He says he has a 4 bedroom estate and only rents to RFUMS students. It's just one of those things that seems too good to be true.
He has a posting on the rfums housing forum.
Sent from my HTC PH39100
 
Housing update:

Last week I received an email saying that I had won the lottery for student housing... but for May. Meaning that I would have to pay for three extra months. I declined and requested a summer move-in date.

I have friends that live in student housing and the woodlands. I have also visited both... and I must say both seem pretty okay! The woodlands and dorms are equidistant from the campus. I personally prefer the student dorms.

We shall see!
 
I couldn't find this information within the threads of previous years, but does anyone know if the grades or just the credits from the BMS year are transferred to the medical school upon matriculation into CMS? Thanks