Rosalind Franklin BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They require C or higher for pre-reqs to be accepted. Says it on the coursework page of the application.

Do you know how strictly they follow this? Could there be exceptions made for those who show a strong upward trend in upper-level sciences? Additionally, I went to a really competitive/cut-throat ivy....I hope they take that into consideration. Sigh. I guess I could always call and just ask them directly. I posted this question because I wanted to know if anyone else was in a similar circumstance and still made it into the program (since I see some who mentioned they have sub 3.0 GPAs and were accepted).
 
Definitely call. Ask if elaborating on your strong, upward trend in a letter/addendum would be helpful. Since your application is already in, it's worth making every effort. The worst that can happen is they say no.
 
Do they ever reject applicants immediately after first review? I haven't seen anyone say they were rejected. Sigh the little things I focus on dying on this waitlist. I'm hoping there is big movement by beginning of may.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they ever reject applicants immediately after first review? I haven't seen anyone say they were rejected. Sigh the little things I focus on dying on this waitlist. I'm hoping there is big movement by beginning of may.
I was wondering the same thing.. I applied mid march and was complete of March 28th and no word yet.. hopefully they don't hand out straight rejections! I'm sure there will be a lot of movement toward the end of the application cycle!
 
I just found out through a PM that this program does not consider "+" or "-" in your grades when accepting students for BMS. So in my case, my C- would be fine because it would be considered as a "C"....thought I'd let everyone know just in case anyone was wondering!
 
Anyone hear about housing? I missed the lottery deadline and applied a few days after. Today I got an email saying that my contract is aug-may and I need to send in a $500 deposit by may. Does this mean I got a spot?
 
I just got the standard application complete email today. I already found out my application was fully complete approximately 2-3 weeks ago because I had called and emailed to confirm. I'm still really happy to get the official "complete" email because that means a decision will hopefully not be too far away! :xf:
 
I was accepted into the BMS program for the 2012-2013 year. Does anyone know if students live in dorms or apartments near campus? What is the housing situation like?
 
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you sent in your application, when you were marked complete, and when you received the good news in the mail? Thanks.

I was accepted into the BMS program for the 2012-2013 year. Does anyone know if students live in dorms or apartments near campus? What is the housing situation like?
 
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you sent in your application, when you were marked complete, and when you received the good news in the mail? Thanks.

Hi, I have also been accepted for 2012-2013.
Sent in app Feb 24
Completion email on March 13
Acceptance package received April 2.
Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got several PMs over the past week regarding the online component of the BMS program, so I'll try to give the gist of it here.

Throughout the year, you will take 4 online classes (1 in Fall, 2 in Winter, 1 in Spring). There are four certificate tracks you get to pick from

1. Healthcare Administration and Management (HCAM)
2. Healthcare Education
3. Women's Studies
4. Nutrition

If I remember correctly, you pick the track you want when you apply, and a few weeks before orientation you will get an e-mail telling you what track you got. During orientation you select which classes you want from that track. We also had the option of switching tracks during orientation if we didn't like the one they assigned you.

I did HCAM, which includes classes like Law, Ethics, Marketing, Global Health, Informatics among others. The classes basically consist of making posts on a discussion board regarding the topic for that week, and replying to other students posts. Depending on the class, there will be essays or group projects interspersed throughout the class, usually near the end. You never need to go on campus to do any of these classes; all are done completely online. Each class has a certain textbook assigned to it, which is available on reserve from the campus library, or digitally through... other means which you can ask your OAs about during orientation.

I highly, highly, highly recommend you select HCAM. From everyone I've talked to this year and previously, it is by far the easiest track course. It is also very helpful, because classes like ethics and law will teach you stuff that can help for interviews. Most of the HCAM classes don't require more than like 10 minutes each night except for the few projects, while the other tracks I hear have lots of essays and actual quizzes you have to study for (nutrition especially). These online courses should never get in the way of the really important stuff like reviewing your Biochem and Physio notes.

Hopefully that clears things up... now back to studying for Neuro! Can't believe we only have 3 more weeks in BMS 😱
 
Hey, I am a current BMSer
and also been accepted to CMS for the next year.
If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Do you guys have the facebook forum yet
 
Hey, I am a current BMSer
and also been accepted to CMS for the next year.
If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Do you guys have the facebook forum yet

What is your overall impression of the program? What is your uGPA/MCAT? What is your GPA in the BMS program? Approximately how many people from your current class have been accepted to CMS? How would you rate the overall difficulty level of the BMS program?

Thanks for your help!
 
If anyone is looking for a roommate (preferably Woodlands apartments), let me know. I am a female but don't mind living with either males or females.
 
I'm also looking for a roommate/someone to split the rent with near RFU. I'm a clean, studious, male looking for a roommate who's looking for the same (I don't mind having a female roommate neither). PM me if you're interested. Thanks!
 
For those that have applied to other schools, did those med schools take into account the classes you are taking during your BMS year??
 
For those that have applied to other schools, did those med schools take into account the classes you are taking during your BMS year??

I had a couple of interviews at outside schools and one school (which accepted me) was very interested in the courses I was taking (they liked me as a candidate and wanted any sort of verification that i was a better student than my gpa said). Another school didn't really care, and the other school saw it as a nice extracurricular (top 25 school). The main thing about applying to other schools is that they will look closely at your undergrad gpa and mcat, so by the time they look at the SMP they already have a good idea of whether or not they want to interview you. My advice is to not depend on any outside schools but of course apply broadly - I was lucky enough to get into a school other than RFUMS that fits my goals (and it also minimized me stress during the SMP year after my acceptance).
 
How was living in the student dorms??



I loved the student housing.......it is really quiet, has study rooms in each building, the rent includes heat which was another plus point for me (my friends who stayed elsewhere had to pay for heat themselves and it wasn't cheap).​
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone get any acceptances/rejections/waitlists recently? I received the "Application Complete" e-mail April 20 and am still waiting to hear back

My application was complete on the same day, and I still haven't heard back either. I called Melissa last Friday to check on my status, and she said the committee was supposed to make a decision either last Friday or this Monday by the latest. So if you're really curious, maybe you could call to see if they have a decision yet?
 
Hey guys,
Got my completion email on May 3rd. You think I'm in a decent situation to get in? I've heard of people with MCATs in the low 20's getting accepted so hopefully I fit their profile of favorable candidates...

Stats:
3.1 gpa
28 mcat

-Research experiences @ Midwest Orthopaedics & Rush Medical Center (Spine Surgery, Alzheimer's Disease)
-Patient contact (worked in emergency room triage)
-strong leadership positions (charities, student government, etc.)
 
My application was complete on the same day, and I still haven't heard back either. I called Melissa last Friday to check on my status, and she said the committee was supposed to make a decision either last Friday or this Monday by the latest. So if you're really curious, maybe you could call to see if they have a decision yet?
Just talked to Melissa today and she said people will be getting acceptances in the mail within the week. She told me I got in!!!
 
Waitlisted via email today.
3.2 cGPA, 3.02sGPA, 29 MCAT 🙁
I hope I get off waitlist because I really want to attend this program!
Has anyone waitlisted heard back? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Thanks, and congrats to those accepted!
 
Just received a response email from Melissa saying decision letters went out this morning .. Does anyone know if they are sending out rejections at this time?
 
hello everyone,


I'm looking into one year masters programs that start fall this year. Since I live in Illinois I'm wondering what are the programs available in Illinois? I know about this one, are their any others? I know I'll have to apply right away.


I already have my bio degree so would this masters be better for me than taking classes at a local college? Which would you guys suggest?

Any pre-dents doing this program?


This is all new to me so I'd be grateful for any help at all,

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Just received a response email from Melissa saying decision letters went out this morning .. Does anyone know if they are sending out rejections at this time?

I assume you mean in regular mail? Or was it email? I was only just complete on May 3 but I am getting anxious!
 
Just received a response email from Melissa saying decision letters went out this morning .. Does anyone know if they are sending out rejections at this time?

Hey Science thanks for the update!

Edit: I misread. Sorry I thought she sent out some mass email.
 
Last edited:
hello everyone,


I'm looking into one year masters programs that start fall this year. Since I live in Illinois I'm wondering what are the programs available in Illinois? I know about this one, are their any others? I know I'll have to apply right away.


I already have my bio degree so would this masters be better for me than taking classes at a local college? Which would you guys suggest?

Any pre-dents doing this program?


This is all new to me so I'd be grateful for any help at all,

Thanks
In addition to this program, I applied to Loyola MAMS and Rush's Biotechnology program. I can't really speak for whether this would be better than taking classes at your local college since RFUMS doesn't have a dental school and the guaranteed interview to a program there seems to be the main benefit of the program. I attended an open house here a few weeks ago and one guy on the student panel was pre-dent and he had been accepted to UIC's dental school for this upcoming year but I know the vast majority of people in the program are pre-med.
 
I emailed Melissa yesterday asking about the status of my application and she responded saying that... Sorry for the confusion! I just hope it's good news because I don't know when they start rejecting people.
 
Hi everyone,

Who is Melissa and how do I contact her? I've been trying to contact the numbers of the program director and admin assistant with no luck. I am a late applicant so I'm a bit nervous. Thanks
 
Hi everyone,

Who is Melissa and how do I contact her? I've been trying to contact the numbers of the program director and admin assistant with no luck. I am a late applicant so I'm a bit nervous. Thanks
Melissa Knox is the admissions officer. She usually emails applicants regarding the status of their application. Who have you been contacting? RFU's website says to use this email: [email protected] regarding questions about an application so I would email my inquiries to this email add first.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got accepted today!! Looking in to housing this week if anyone can give me information on how the whole thing works after the lottery I would really appreciate it! Also if any girls are looking for a roommate PM me!
 
Just got accepted today!! Looking in to housing this week if anyone can give me information on how the whole thing works after the lottery I would really appreciate it! Also if any girls are looking for a roommate PM me!

Congrats! I just got accepted today as well. 🙂 I'd also like some information on housing if possible too. Thanks in advance!

Is it easier to get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom on-campus apartment if I submit the application now? Or is it basically impossible?
 
Last edited:
Did all of you get in directly or any of you move from waitlist? Congrats to you all on your acceptances