Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got in off the waitlist. Real excited. Now I just gotta figure out housing. Anyone have any advice? If anyone is lookin for a roommate, please pm me. And best of luck to all those still on the waitlist.

Congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how did you find out (email, phone)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got in off the waitlist. Real excited. Now I just gotta figure out housing. Anyone have any advice? If anyone is lookin for a roommate, please pm me. And best of luck to all those still on the waitlist.

What were your stats like if you don't mind sharing

Thanks!

Did those of you that just got in off of the waitlist submit update letters/letters of interest?

Got accepted, but it was interesting...

I noticed yesterday that some of you got accepted with almost the exact same scores as me (3.4gpa 28 MCAT) and was hoping that I would hear something soon.

Well I emailed admissions last week asking if sending in a 4th letter of recommendation would be beneficial at all, and they responded I could do that and they would add it to my file. So today I emailed asking if they received it. I got a reply stating that the committee was not taking any further action with my application.

I felt crushed, and replied asking why. I tried calling and no one would answer. Then, after an hour of trying to get my spirits up and not giving up on my future, I received another email stating I was accepted, it came attached with the acceptance pdf with all my information on it. I screamed like a girl!

I was accepted yesterday at 3pm! Very excited and looking forward to meeting/working with everyone! :)

Congrats on all of the new acceptances. Don't forget to join the BMS Facebook group. It will be a great resource throughout the year. Work hard in the program and great things can happen.

For those who are still on the waitlist, I hope that you receive word soon. Remember that there were acceptances my year during orientation. If anyone has any questions ask away or shoot me a message.

i had a question. if i apply for august 2014 and do the 1 year. Do I submit aamcas for medical school in summer of 2014 before i begin the BMS?

i had a question. if i apply for august 2014 and do the 1 year. Do I submit aamcas for medical school in summer of 2014 before i begin the BMS?

yes

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still trying to figure out the housing situation here. At this point I'm assuming student housing is no longer an option with the start only a few weeks away and I don't like my chances with woodlands. Once again if anyone is lookin for a roommate, or have any advice please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you wanting to live alone or with a roommate? try posting something up in the BMS facebook page. I know that people do end up getting offered places very last minute at woodlands as everyone finalizes where they want to live. Campus housing and woodlands are the best for not having a car. (Navy housing as well but I dont know enough about this option). Other options are The Landings, Forest Pointe and one more I cant recall the name. All of these run along Waukegan Rd. They are all nice options, however you would need a car to get to class.

If your looking to room with someone try pairing up with someone who already has a place.

I think someone else posted this same question earlier in the forum so there might be additional information that might help.

Did anyone receive the exact loan amounts for financial aid yet? I received an estimate late in June from RFU saying that it was processed, as well as from fafsa that my grad plus was approved, but never actually got the loan amounts. Just curious since my undergrad used to give me exact amounts a few weeks before school started

Did anyone receive the exact loan amounts for financial aid yet? I received an estimate late in June from RFU saying that it was processed, as well as from fafsa that my grad plus was approved, but never actually got the loan amounts. Just curious since my undergrad used to give me exact amounts a few weeks before school started
I just got my loan disclosure statements this morning from studentloans.gov. I completed my fafsa the beginning of July and completed the MPNs and new borrow application mid-July.

I just got accepted off the waitlist! If anyone needs a roomate, send me a PM.

Anyone need a roommate
I'm looking for a place to stay close by

Last edited:
Hello All,

I realize there hasn't been any recent activity here but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into RFUMS..
Stats: cGPA 3.13, sGPA 2.9 and I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet. I will say that I had a bad second year due to illness and went up once I recovered; dean's list consistently. I addressed my drop in grades in my PS.
I have almost a decade of healthcare experience. I worked as a clinical lab assistant, a CNA in the ED, a psych tech, and now am a Clinical Research Coordinator at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I have tons of leadership experience and was active on campus during my undergrad years. I also have strong LORs and a good PS.

Hello All,

I realize there hasn't been any recent activity here but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into RFUMS..
Stats: cGPA 3.13, sGPA 2.9 and I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet. I will say that I had a bad second year due to illness and went up once I recovered; dean's list consistently. I addressed my drop in grades in my PS.
I have almost a decade of healthcare experience. I worked as a clinical lab assistant, a CNA in the ED, a psych tech, and now am a Clinical Research Coordinator at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I have tons of leadership experience and was active on campus during my undergrad years. I also have strong LORs and a good PS.

Take your MCAT and then come back. Also, remember that this thread is for the special master's program. The RFUMS thread is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...anklin-university-application-thread.1003647/

Hey I just got accepted into the 2014-2015 yr for the BMS program I was really excited but I keep reading things that they changed the program a bit so that there is no guarantee for an interview. It says on the website that performance in the program is independent from school admission. does this mean you have to get at least a 3.8 or your done? or does this mean if you do fairly well above a 3.0 there are chances for you to get into their med school?

or if someone who recently went through the program could tell me their thoughts on the program and how supportive were the faculty?
I understand that hopefully if one does amaaazing like 3.8 they will probably get an interview but what if a student is around a 3.3 will they just be kind of lost after the program ends or for example some schools if u did ok (3.5-3.0) allow you to do "research" with faculty to help prepare you for med admissions and they then go through ur amcas app before you submit it and do mock interviews, etc

so if someone has information on the kind of support offered to the students that would be beyond great as well!!! Thanks guys :)

Hey I just got accepted into the 2014-2015 yr for the BMS program I was really excited but I keep reading things that they changed the program a bit so that there is no guarantee for an interview. It says on the website that performance in the program is independent from school admission. does this mean you have to get at least a 3.8 or your done? or does this mean if you do fairly well above a 3.0 there are chances for you to get into their med school?

or if someone who recently went through the program could tell me their thoughts on the program and how supportive were the faculty?
I understand that hopefully if one does amaaazing like 3.8 they will probably get an interview but what if a student is around a 3.3 will they just be kind of lost after the program ends or for example some schools if u did ok (3.5-3.0) allow you to do "research" with faculty to help prepare you for med admissions and they then go through ur amcas app before you submit it and do mock interviews, etc

so if someone has information on the kind of support offered to the students that would be beyond great as well!!! Thanks guys :)

Hi ohmahg! I'm not sure where you heard that from but everyone from our class this year was granted an interview provided they met the requirements (such as submitting your primary and secondary on time). You do need to do well in this program and it is really tough to get an A - unless you're a really good test taker but you'd still need to study your butt off. Message me if you have any questions!

Hi ohmahg, do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied?? Also were you notified by email or phone call?

When are the orientation and first day of the class for the BMS program?

Orientation: Wednesday, August 13 through Friday, August 15.
Any further updates on when another wave of BMS students get into CMS? Has admissions said if it will follow last year's pattern (end of April), or are they waiting for more tests?

Is everyone guaranteed an interview at CMS or interview decisions are merit based this year 2014-2015? I heard they are changing things around this year.

What can we do from now till the first day of class to be more prepared for the program?

And could anyone refer us to the 2014 match list for CMS?

My boyfriend is a current bms student and its true that they are making a lot of changes for next year. bms kids won't be guaranteed interviews anymore and this year's bms class will have fewer acceptances into CMS because of the probation (this came in the form of a formal announcement). I know a lot of current students are really angry about this. Today bms kids were notified that they were unlikely to get any more acceptances until after finals (unlike the past when a good amount of decisions came out before the final). I know he has enjoyed his experience overall but the surprise notification of fewer bms acceptances and delayed notifications is tremendously upsetting and reflects poorly on the program. Especially when the school made it a point to interview bms students earlier in the process than expected. Of course this is all in light of the probation, but just a heads up... On another note I was a regular med school applicant to CMS and got put in the small pool fairly quickly so at least my status was processed quickly (though I am waiting for a final decision still).

Well this is news to me. I don't recall anybody on the committee or associated with the committee saying that they were accepting less BMS students this year. Accepting them later than last year: yes. But less? I don't think so.

My boyfriend is a current bms student and its true that they are making a lot of changes for next year. bms kids won't be guaranteed interviews anymore and this year's bms class will have fewer acceptances into CMS because of the probation (this came in the form of a formal announcement). I know a lot of current students are really angry about this. Today bms kids were notified that they were unlikely to get any more acceptances until after finals (unlike the past when a good amount of decisions came out before the final). I know he has enjoyed his experience overall but the surprise notification of fewer bms acceptances and delayed notifications is tremendously upsetting and reflects poorly on the program. Especially when the school made it a point to interview bms students earlier in the process than expected. Of course this is all in light of the probation, but just a heads up... On another note I was a regular med school applicant to CMS and got put in the small pool fairly quickly so at least my status was processed quickly (though I am waiting for a final decision still).

As a current BMS student, I'm unaware of these notifications. The wave of acceptances varies every year. Last year, CMS accepted BMS students in "3" waves. The year before that, they did not accept BMS students until the program is over so there is some variability with regards to how CMS accepts BMS students. Additionally, interviews will still be granted to BMS students.

Look, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but there is absolutely no need to come on here (especially if you're not a current BMSer) and spreading rumors which simply have nothing to back them up. There was never a formal announcement made about this. Nobody said anything about 1) not having guaranteed interviews, 2) this years class having fewer people accepted and 3) having early interviews. For one our interviews were at the same exact time as previous years. Second, there will still be guaranteed interviews next year. Third, no one ever said anything about fewer people being accepted. The only thing you are correct about is that acceptances probably won't be made until the end of the school year. This is exactly how it was 2 years ago. But I don't know who you are or who your boyfriend is but there is no reason for this.

Sorry I misinterpreted what I heard, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. My understanding from students joining next year was that interviews are guaranteed

There were more acceptances sent out on the 16th. Not sure how many yet but this shouldn't be the last round

As a current BMS student, I'm unaware of these notifications. The wave of acceptances varies every year. Last year, CMS accepted BMS students in "3" waves. The year before that, they did not accept BMS students until the program is over so there is some variability with regards to how CMS accepts BMS students. Additionally, interviews will still be granted to BMS students.

Actually, in the 2011-2012 year, there were waves as well. Some students were accepted in March, though very few, from what I understand.

Could you guys post the list of the books we need for the BMS programs?

Could you guys post the list of the books we need for the BMS programs?
The only book that is absolutely required is Haines Neuroanatomy atlas. However, since that doesn't start until march you don't have to worry about it right now. Other than that I would not waste my time reading books. I think it would do more harm than good

Can someone explain how easy it is to get a second masters (MPH, MBA) during medical school (by compelting more courses in the track option). I heard this was possible? Can it sitll be done in the same 4 year span (once in med school) and does it cost extra money?

Can someone explain how easy it is to get a second masters (MPH, MBA) during medical school (by compelting more courses in the track option). I heard this was possible? Can it sitll be done in the same 4 year span (once in med school) and does it cost extra money?
There are no MPH or MBA options at RFU. It's called an HCAM degree

There are no MPH or MBA options at RFU. It's called an HCAM degree

I see, so, how does one get this degree, if completing the ros franklin BMS program and then matriculating to the MD program. Can it be completed in the same 4 years, does it cost extra tuition?>

Which one of the HCAM - Leadership Track or HCAM - Business Track do most of you current/previous BMSers recommend? Which one is less time consuming, more practical, and more manageable?

I was a former BMS student and am now in the medical school. The BMS program was amazing and such an amazing opportunity for premeds. If anyone has questions, you can ask on here or send me a PM.
I just got into the BMS program, but I currently live in the city with my parents. It's probably around 1hr and 10min driving with traffic. I don't personally don't mind the driving and thought it would be a good way to wind down and relax before/after a long day of listening to lectures and studying. I heard from another former student of a BMS program that I should look for dorms because it would be too long of a commute and would interfere with my studying. If I listen to his advice and live in the dorms it most likely means I won't have a car. I wanted to hear someone else's opinion. Any thoughts?