Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel the potential, and apparant certainty, that a C negates your chances for admission into CMS is the most concerning thing about the BMS program. I am still waiting to hear back from the program and somtimes I wonder if taking a D.O guaranteed admit postbac such as LECOM or VCOM is less of a gamble. To each his own I suppose.

frankly, if RFU explicitly guaranteed entry to their medical school with a B or better in every class, I would do it in a heart beat. I would be a freight train of motivation and not worry about the C. I wouldn't worry about the 60K loan. I know there's the virtual guarantee coming from past students but there are too many variables in this complicated situation. That's not reassuring enough for me to bother applying to RFU BMS. However, in the hypothetical of an explicit guarantee, I jump in it. If I get a C while doing only a fraction of MS1 course load - then I don't belong. But that's not possible - because I belong!

Besides, who says LECOM is less riskier? In the LECOM thread, I hear some students are really struggling with pharmacology. I'm sure these classes are easier than SMPs but they are still pretty tough.

Most importantly, do we know what it takes to get a C or a B at RFU? For example, if the average of the class was a C, then I admit, I'd be nervous. But if it is well within reason i.e. average is a B and MS1 is taking a lot more classes, than I am not worried.

Members don't see this ad.

frankly, if RFU explicitly guaranteed entry to their medical school with a B or better in every class, I would do it in a heart beat. I would be a freight train of motivation and not worry about the C. I wouldn't worry about the 60K loan. I know there's the virtual guarantee coming from past students but there are too many variables in this complicated situation. That's not reassuring enough for me to bother applying to RFU BMS. However, in the hypothetical of an explicit guarantee, I jump in it. If I get a C while doing only a fraction of MS1 course load - then I don't belong. But that's not possible - because I belong!

Besides, who says LECOM is less riskier? In the LECOM thread, I hear some students are really struggling with pharmacology. I'm sure these classes are easier than SMPs but they are still pretty tough.

Most importantly, do we know what it takes to get a C or a B at RFU? For example, if the average of the class was a C, then I admit, I'd be nervous. But if it is well within reason i.e. average is a B and MS1 is taking a lot more classes, than I am not worried.

I think the high linkage rate at RFU BMS deffinetly merrits an application, unless of course your already a border line MD candidate, in which case there are more options.

The thing about LECOM is all you need is above a 3.0 and youll get in, meaning you can offset a C with an A. So in that sense LECOM is safer bet for sure if you look at GETTING IN to med school. And yes finding out what constitutes a C vs a B at RFU would be good to know. I am assuming that B's are the average (maybe current BMSers could comment).

In my personal opinion, and this isn't directed towards anyone, but if you are putting down nearly $50k for a program that WILL get you into a US MD school provided that you perform well enough in your classes for just a single year and you end up getting a C, you probably don't deserve it.

Even the most motivated and briliant students occasionaly get fluke grades. I know plenty of undegrads that have recieved C's in classes yet gotten accepted into MD schools. So I am not so much comenting on the motavation factor but more the fact that **** happens. You get the flu, it lasts for weeks, you mess up your 3rd test in your 2nd class. That one grade could cost you 60k and one year at RFU BMS. Its gamble still, I dont think theres much doubt in that.

I think the high linkage rate at RFU BMS deffinetly merrits an application, unless of course your already a border line MD candidate, in which case there are more options.

The thing about LECOM is all you need is above a 3.0 and youll get in, meaning you can offset a C with an A. So in that sense LECOM is safer bet for sure if you look at GETTING IN to med school. And yes finding out what constitutes a C vs a B at RFU would be good to know. I am assuming that B's are the average (maybe current BMSers could comment).

Even the most motivated and briliant students occasionaly get fluke grades. I know plenty of undegrads that have recieved C's in classes yet gotten accepted into MD schools. So I am not so much comenting on the motavation factor but more the fact that **** happens. You get the flu, it lasts for weeks, you mess up your 3rd test in your 2nd class. That one grade could cost you 60k and one year at RFU BMS. Its gamble still, I dont think theres much doubt in that.

That's just not a good argument. **** happens no matter where you are. That is not how you plan for life. Are you going to ask the adcom in your med school interviews "What happens if I get sick? or What happens if I get a flat tire on the day of an exam? Do I get a chance to make it up?" Of course not. You can't plan for things that are out of your hands. All you can do is to put yourself in the best position possible to succeed. PLENTY of people have gotten into CMS from BMS so it is pretty much up to you to lose your spot in CMS if you're in the program. Avoid "fluke" grades for a year and you're fine. You don't have any more opportunities to make excuses. If you don't believe that you yourself can complete a one year masters program and get A's and B's then I don't think it matters what postbacc program you go to. I am actually surprised that the bar isn't a little higher to tell you the truth. People get into CMS with all B's apparently. No one said RFU isn't a gamble, it is the biggest gamble we have ever made in our lives. You are putting pretty much all your chips on the table, but the odds are in your favor for once.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on going to RFU if I get in, so I agree its not a way to live life. All I was saying was that a guaranteed admit is a less of a gamble as it allows you to compensate for a fluke grade.

I really don't think there is anything called a fluke grade, but there is something called a 2nd chance for everybody and that's exactly what this program is about. Just think of this program as an audition to medical school. It's a once in a lifetime (per se) opportunity. If this doesn't give you enough motivation to absolutely dominate this program then you probably aren't cut out to make it for medical school. And this isn't a knock on anybody. It's just the way it goes.

i really don't think there is anything called a fluke grade, but there is something called a 2nd chance for everybody and that's exactly what this program is about. Just think of this program as an audition to medical school. It's a once in a lifetime (per se) opportunity. If this doesn't give you enough motivation to absolutely dominate this program then you probably aren't cut out to make it for medical school. And this isn't a knock on anybody. It's just the way it goes.

+1

Anybody else worried about cost? 1 year of BMS + 4 Years at RFU and the end result isnt looking to pretty. Opinions/advice on minimizing loans is appreciated.
Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be needing a roommate for August. Still waiting for final decisions from 2 med schools.
One more thing, when is everyone planning on moving to North Chicago?

Do we receive a acceptance packet from RFU? When do we receive financial aid info?
I was accepted about a week ago, but haven't gotten anything from them via snail mail.

Agree completely.

And some people, for whatever reason, can't get a decent GPA. At any rate, SMPs are worth the $$$$ for many people.

In terms of snail mail, I was accepted over a month ago and have still not gotten anything in the mail.

Do we receive a acceptance packet from RFU? When do we receive financial aid info?
I was accepted about a week ago, but haven't gotten anything from them via snail mail.

No acceptance packet, only the email acceptance. You receive financial info once they've received your deposit. Their financial aid stuff is due June 28, 2013 or so.

I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice.

My science GPA is a 3.63 and my cGPA is a 3.53. I took the MCAT twice, first time was a 31O and second was a 28Q (went down :(). I also don't have many EC's, just a few days of shadowing and lots of hours volunteering at outpatient surgery for about 2 years.

This was the second cycle that I did not get in. My fault because the last two cycles I applied late (submitted primary in Sept).

Even though I have a high GPA, with the decline in MCAT, and the fact that I am a 3rd time reapplicant. Do you guys think this BMS program is a good fit for me or should I do something else? I would love to stay in the Chicago area and would love to attend CMS

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it's not a bad idea but at the same time if you can only improve your MCAT score you wouldn't be a bad MD candidate. What are you doing at the moment? Why don't you take some time off (say 3 straight months) of studying for the mcats and shadowing a doctor at the same time. Then when you're done with those 3 months, find a job as a clinical research assistant somewhere in Chicago. They work very closely with doctors and will look very strong in your application. I'm sure if you take time off to concentrate on studying for the mcats you can get at least a 32.

Even if you have turned in your deposit after being accepted dont expect an admissions packet until about the middle of may.

I was hoping some of you guys could give me some advice.

My science GPA is a 3.63 and my cGPA is a 3.53. I took the MCAT twice, first time was a 31O and second was a 28Q (went down :(). I also don't have many EC's, just a few days of shadowing and lots of hours volunteering at outpatient surgery for about 2 years.

This was the second cycle that I did not get in. My fault because the last two cycles I applied late (submitted primary in Sept).

Even though I have a high GPA, with the decline in MCAT, and the fact that I am a 3rd time reapplicant. Do you guys think this BMS program is a good fit for me or should I do something else? I would love to stay in the Chicago area and would love to attend CMS
why in the world would you retake the mcat after a 31??? was it unbalanced? but in regards to your application, I think the SMP could be worth it. At this point in the game there is no guarantee whatsoever that anybody will get into a medical school. This program is the closest thing it gets to a "guarantee." I am a borderline MD applicant and am fortunate enough to have parents who are able to support me and help me pay through school. For this reason, I am going to retake the mcat this summer with the hopes of improving my score and applying to my state school. But, I will also be doing BMS just incase my mcat score doesn't improve. I'm tired of seeing so many qualified people being rejected from medical schools, and this program will ensure that everyone who deserves to get into medical school will get a chance. Medical schools should judge people on current character and student and not the stupid freshman i was getting C's in easy classes.

Also, in regards to the cost, yes it is expensive. But half the battle of why some doctors still pay off loans when theyre 45 or 50 is because they fail to manage their money correctly. Money is not an issue in this profession and so loans will eventually be paid off. On how fast you'll pay them off is based on the type of lifestyle you choose post medical school. I know i'll be living in a shoe box until im done with residency and plan to drive my current car all throughout it.

Again, this is just my opinion so take it with a grain a salt!!

Woodlands is not furnished. You can also check the housing website for RFU - they have links about what they provide (a roof) for some off campus housing and on campus dorms (which also provide pretty much nothing).

Has anybody gotten official word of how CMS's change to pass/fail will influence the BMS program?

Has anybody gotten official word of how CMS's change to pass/fail will influence the BMS program?
The pass/fail won't effect BMS students! only the CMS students! I spoke to an admissions counselor about this.

Thanks ! But how would that work then if we go on to CMS? Would the medical school classes we took during the BMS year eventually just show up as Pass on our medical school transcript? Just curious

for those of you who have applied/heard back...I applied 3rd week of March. Do you think a) this was really late? and b) any idea of a timeframe I could hear back?

for those of you who have applied/heard back...I applied 3rd week of March. Do you think a) this was really late? and b) any idea of a timeframe I could hear back?

It was about a 14 day turn around for me. Hang in there

Has anyone heard of BMS ever having less than 60-70% of its students get accepted to RF's chicago medical school?

Potentially stupid question but can any current BMS students comment on daily schedule? Are you in class all day? Have each class everyday? Thanks

Hey, not a dumb question at all. So at the beginning of the year, we usually had a couple classes a day, usually in the morning. Then when Physio started in November, we had some days with three or four classes. I really didnt think the daily class schedule got really busy till December or so. Youll have a lot of days where you dont have class at all. Right now we are only taking neuro and physio, and we probably average 3 classes a day. If you factor in the optional small groups or review sessions, then it could be 4 or 5 classes.

Accepted today! Does anyone have a definitive number of how many BMS kids from this year were accepted into CMS? Maybe a current BMS student could weigh in on this

Today must have been an update day, as I received word I was wait listed. Now I just have to cross my fingers and wait it out, much better feeling than an outright rejection I suppose!

Waitlisted today. Any encouraging words for those of us on the list. Ive heard they do tend to pull people of the wait list. I should probably wait to sign leases for housing for other programs until much later into the summer?

Argh. I've been complete for 2 weeks and haven't heard back yet. For you guys (and gals) that got accepted today, when did you apply and when were you complete?

It's starting to look like they won't look at the waitlist until they're done accepting people or am I wrong about this?

Do you think it would be too late to apply to this program?? I really want to go here after reading about the program here at SDN. I have a 26 MCAT and 3.2 cGPA 2.83 sGPA (sGPA will be 3.00 by this July 2013). Have amazing letters (I have been told by multiple interviewers), great ECs in the medical field--250+ hours shadowing, a year and a half of medical research, 2 poster presentations at national medical conferences, and a pending publication as second author behind my PI (an MD).

Thoughts on acceptance? I already was accepted into MWU's MA in Biomedical Sciences, but this program seems to have a better linkage (and links with an MD program instead of a DO). Not that I care much either way--I just want the chance to start medical school. I could care less which 2 letters come after my name :)

Thanks!

Accepted today! Does anyone have a definitive number of how many BMS kids from this year were accepted into CMS? Maybe a current BMS student could weigh in on this
You won't get a definitive number until the end of May/ early June.
Waitlisted today. Any encouraging words for those of us on the list. Ive heard they do tend to pull people of the wait list. I should probably wait to sign leases for housing for other programs until much later into the summer?
You can look online to see places you might consider living, but don't sign anything until you receive your acceptance.

From the current BMS-ers I've talked to, 14 have been admitted as of a couple weeks ago...most of the remaining admits come in June.

Argh. I've been complete for 2 weeks and haven't heard back yet. For you guys (and gals) that got accepted today, when did you apply and when were you complete?

I applied late March and heard back today (I actually called to check on my status and they had made their decision this morning). Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Just sent in my application today. Hoping for the best! I really want to go to this program. Send good thoughts my way.

Thanks

Sending my in tomorrow I really hope its not to late. This is my top choice!!!

I paid for my seat and the next day got accepted to my top choice dental program :) I'll be calling to give my chair up, good luck to all!

Sent from my HTC One X using SDN Mobile

congrats! Good luck those those applying and are on the waitlist.
I've also submitted my deposit; I am confirmed to go this August :).

So I've been browsing through the forums for a while now just wondering what you guys think. I have a 3.02 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA with a 26 on my mcat. They should be receiving all of application materials by Monday. What do you guys think my chances are?

So I've been browsing through the forums for a while now just wondering what you guys think. I have a 3.02 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA with a 26 on my mcat. They should be receiving all of application materials by Monday. What do you guys think my chances are?

I think you are a little bit behind the 8 ball in terms of your stats because they are below average in both respects and your application is a little bit on the late end. However, I wouldn't say it was a waste of an application either. Best of luck to you and everyone else!

can any former bms students give any input on housing? between student housing and the woodlands?

Received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday (4/27/13) and I was complete about a week before that.

3.4 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 32Q MCAT, almost 2 years of clinical research, two publications, and some volunteering.

I'm waiting to hear from Temple's post-bac before making a decision on this program - Temple guarantees admission with a >3.5 GPA in their program and >30 MCAT, plus it's almost 20K cheaper.

Good luck to everyone still waiting - it's obviously not too late to apply and my seat may be up for grabs in two weeks.

Are you guys calling them to ask when you're complete or do they tell you by e-mail?

Are you guys calling them to ask when you're complete or do they tell you by e-mail?

They never sent me an e-mail about my application status. I had to call in to see if everything was in. Definitely call.

I was complete around 10 days ago and got my acceptance in the mail two days ago.

Just letting you guys know, a second round of CMS admissions went out today. Seems like a bulk of the people got in this time around. More details to follow....