Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Just recently found out about RFU BMS a couple weeks ago and my application was mailed 3/12. Am I okay or did I apply kind of late? I'm a non-trad and I'm a humanities major (minor in biology) with a 3.4 cumulative/3.1 science and a 31 January MCAT (11/10/10) from a 26 (7/9/10). I have solid letters but my ECs are kind of weak. I'd really love to go here, this waiting is making me anxious. I still haven't heard from the office yet and I'm debating whether I should wait or give them a call next week to check on my application. Any suggestions?


3/12 was just a few days ago. I mailed mine in at the end of Feb and got the completion email two weeks later. So I would just be patient
 
Hi all,

Just recently found out about RFU BMS a couple weeks ago and my application was mailed 3/12. Am I okay or did I apply kind of late? I'm a non-trad and I'm a humanities major (minor in biology) with a 3.4 cumulative/3.1 science and a 31 January MCAT (11/10/10) from a 26 (7/9/10). I have solid letters but my ECs are kind of weak. I'd really love to go here, this waiting is making me anxious. I still haven't heard from the office yet and I'm debating whether I should wait or give them a call next week to check on my application. Any suggestions?

Wait it out a few weeks. You should get a email soon about it being complete
 
I've got a question about being a reapplicant to CMS once the BMS is completed. If someone applied to CMS and got rejected prior to starting the BMS program, will that have a negative effect once that person finishes the BMS and applies to CMS again? Anyone have any advice on this??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they not transfer LORs from CMS to the BMS program? The application instruction seems to indicate that they can do that.

Thank you!!
 
I've got a question about being a reapplicant to CMS once the BMS is completed. If someone applied to CMS and got rejected prior to starting the BMS program, will that have a negative effect once that person finishes the BMS and applies to CMS again? Anyone have any advice on this??

Absolutely not. I applied to CMS and was rejected. I actually received a follow-up email stating that even though I didn't get into CMS, I should apply to the BMS program. That's actually how I learned about the BMS program. I successfully completed the BMS program and now I am a M1 here at CMS. It has no negative influence at all.
 
Do they not transfer LORs from CMS to the BMS program? The application instruction seems to indicate that they can do that.

Thank you!!
They do transfer your LORs from CMS to BMS. You will just need to complete a consent form that allows them to transfer your files.
 
They do transfer your LORs from CMS to BMS. You will just need to complete a consent form that allows them to transfer your files.
Oh thank you thank you!! Does that mean the same is with my MCAT and transcripts?? Thank you!!! I am quite relieved. The office doesn't seem to be picking up calls at all.

Thanks!!
 
Absolutely not. I applied to CMS and was rejected. I actually received a follow-up email stating that even though I didn't get into CMS, I should apply to the BMS program. That's actually how I learned about the BMS program. I successfully completed the BMS program and now I am a M1 here at CMS. It has no negative influence at all.

Awesome thanks! Any advice for future BMSers?? Specifically on the process of submitting your AMCAS before the program starts?
 
I wanted to inquire if anyone has gotten accepted purely based on GRE score vs MCAT. I came across this program recently, and since I'm already pretty late in the game I was thinking of applying now with a GRE and take my mcat by August.
 
Oh thank you thank you!! Does that mean the same is with my MCAT and transcripts?? Thank you!!! I am quite relieved. The office doesn't seem to be picking up calls at all.

Thanks!!
Yes. All that info will transfer over. Again, you just need to provide consent.
 
Awesome thanks! Any advice for future BMSers?? Specifically on the process of submitting your AMCAS before the program starts?
I would DEFINITELY encourage you to have your AMCAS submitted prior to starting BMS. The workload starts right away and you don't want to be worrying about submitting AMCAS stuff when you should be focusing on school. Try to get as much AMCAS stuff done as early as possible!
 
I would DEFINITELY encourage you to have your AMCAS submitted prior to starting BMS. The workload starts right away and you don't want to be worrying about submitting AMCAS stuff when you should be focusing on school. Try to get as much AMCAS stuff done as early as possible!


Did you reuse your AMCAS and CMS personal statements from the year before? How about letters?
 
Did you reuse your AMCAS and CMS personal statements from the year before? How about letters?
I updated my AMCAS and CMS personal statements to express what/if I had done anything differently. I asked my letter writers to submit an updated letter.
 
Has anyone been successful calling them? Do they return messages? Or do you have to continuously call hoping someone will pick up?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I updated my AMCAS and CMS personal statements to express what/if I had done anything differently. I asked my letter writers to submit an updated letter.

Great thanks! Anything else you'd like to share that you wish someone shared with you before you started? 🙂
 
Has anyone been successful calling them? Do they return messages? Or do you have to continuously call hoping someone will pick up?

I tried calling for around 2 weeks before giving up and leaving a message. I left that message two or three weeks ago. Trying to actually speak with someone there is an exercise in futility. Emailing is the only realistic option.
 
I tried calling for around 2 weeks before giving up and leaving a message. I left that message two or three weeks ago. Trying to actually speak with someone there is an exercise in futility. Emailing is the only realistic option.

Please understand that the admissions office is EXTREMELY busy! They are responsible for processing ALL program applications (medicine, podiatry, pharmacy, grad school, BMS, etc). They're not avoiding any phone calls, they are busily processing the tens of thousands of applications. I spend a lot of time in the admissions office, so I have a good sense of how busy they are. Trust me, you will have an answer in due time.
 
Can someone advise me on my stats and chance for BMS?
My cGPA is 3.4 and my sGPA ~ 3.2. I was wondering if I could get accepted based on a GRE score and approximately what score would give me a good chance. I'm interested in eventually attending CMS, so I was planning on taking the MCAT by August. Would that be okay?
 
Hey all,

I'm working on finishing up my application to the BMS Program this week! I'm extremely nervous and excited!

Quick Question regarding the BMS personal statement.....

I'm not sure which I want to apply to, so I'm applying to both PA and Med school (my heart has always been set on med, but at this point I'm ready to start my life!)... is anyone else in this boat? I'm also doing this to increase my options of starting in a professional program if I get accepted to the bms program.

My point is I'm not sure how to word my narrative.... should I apply with one program in mind and apply to another anyways?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you soooo much : )
 
I got a big announcement about the BMS program coming next week...stay tuned
Tony come on you can't just say something like that and not even give us a hint! Something, anything! 🙂

@DrSweetPotato would you possibly know what TonySoprano is referring to?? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Hey all,
I'm working on finishing up my application to the BMS Program this week! I'm extremely nervous and excited!
Quick Question regarding the BMS personal statement.....

I'm not sure which I want to apply to, so I'm applying to both PA and Med school (my heart has always been set on med, but at this point I'm ready to start my life!)... is anyone else in this boat? I'm also doing this to increase my options of starting in a professional program if I get accepted to the bms program.

My point is I'm not sure how to word my narrative.... should I apply with one program in mind and apply to another anyways?
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you soooo much : )

Again any help please. I'm so stuck on my narrative :/
 
Hey all,
I'm working on finishing up my application to the BMS Program this week! I'm extremely nervous and excited!
Quick Question regarding the BMS personal statement.....

I'm not sure which I want to apply to, so I'm applying to both PA and Med school (my heart has always been set on med, but at this point I'm ready to start my life!)... is anyone else in this boat? I'm also doing this to increase my options of starting in a professional program if I get accepted to the bms program.

My point is I'm not sure how to word my narrative.... should I apply with one program in mind and apply to another anyways?
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you soooo much : )

Again any help please. I'm so stuck on my narrative :/

Since you are granted a guaranteed interview to CMS if you do well in the BMS program, I would gear your narrative towards medical school. Who knows, they could refer back to it during your interview! Just my opinion 🙂

If you are interested in PA, I would also apply to that program as well. Not sure if you really need to include it in your BMS essay.
 
Hey all,
I'm working on finishing up my application to the BMS Program this week! I'm extremely nervous and excited!
Quick Question regarding the BMS personal statement.....

I'm not sure which I want to apply to, so I'm applying to both PA and Med school (my heart has always been set on med, but at this point I'm ready to start my life!)... is anyone else in this boat? I'm also doing this to increase my options of starting in a professional program if I get accepted to the bms program.

My point is I'm not sure how to word my narrative.... should I apply with one program in mind and apply to another anyways?
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you soooo much : )

Again any help please. I'm so stuck on my narrative :/

I would focus the narrative on CMS since you said your heart has always been set on med school rather than PA school. It seems as though PA is your back up plan so I wouldn't bring that up in the personal statement. Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I'm working on finishing up my application to the BMS Program this week! I'm extremely nervous and excited!
Quick Question regarding the BMS personal statement.....

I'm not sure which I want to apply to, so I'm applying to both PA and Med school (my heart has always been set on med, but at this point I'm ready to start my life!)... is anyone else in this boat? I'm also doing this to increase my options of starting in a professional program if I get accepted to the bms program.

My point is I'm not sure how to word my narrative.... should I apply with one program in mind and apply to another anyways?
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you soooo much : )

Again any help please. I'm so stuck on my narrative :/
Curious, have you taken the MCAT yet?
 
Can someone advise me on my stats and chance for BMS?
My cGPA is 3.4 and my sGPA ~ 3.2. I was wondering if I could get accepted based on a GRE score and approximately what score would give me a good chance. I'm interested in eventually attending CMS, so I was planning on taking the MCAT by August. Would that be okay?

I think you should be fine with a GRE score to get into the program. But keep in mind that you'll need an MCAT score when you apply to CMS this summer. I would recommend submitting your application with the GRE and taking the MCAT ASAP before the program begins (which will be in mid-august) also you might not want to take an August MCAT because you'll probably be too burned out when you start the program not to mention the fact that your MCAT score won't come out until September (and if you're not happy with your score there will be no time to retake while you're in the program).
 
I would focus the narrative on CMS since you said your heart has always been set on med school rather than PA school. It seems as though PA is your back up plan so I wouldn't bring that up in the personal statement. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'll definitely take that into consideration : )
 
spoke too soon! they got back to me this morning.. unfortunately to say that my app wasn't received yet ):
 
Last edited:
I am starting to dislike this school.

Submitted everything weeks ago. No word on anything. Doesn't pick up phone calls, doesn't respond to emails.
They don't respond to your emails? Every time I've emailed them they responded by the end of the day..
 
Sigh... I guess I will try again ): have you ever inquired about application status? Perhaps they don't like to do that.
I asked once after they emailed me that my application was complete and was being screened by the adcom.. DrSweetPotato made it clear that harassing them about your status is not a good thing, that admissions is very busy so I'm just trying my best to stay patient
 
I asked once after they emailed me that my application was complete and was being screened by the adcom.. DrSweetPotato made it clear that harassing them about your status is not a good thing, that admissions is very busy so I'm just trying my best to stay patient

Yeah, at least you got the complete email. I would actually let them take as long as they want if they would just verify that they received everything. I think I would be upset if they process my payment and finally tell me I'm missing something let's say, in June haha
 
Yeah, at least you got the complete email. I would actually let them take as long as they want if they would just verify that they received everything. I think I would be upset if they process my payment and finally tell me I'm missing something let's say, in June haha

try sending email from a different account. your email might be going to their Spam folders.
 
Yeah, at least you got the complete email. I would actually let them take as long as they want if they would just verify that they received everything. I think I would be upset if they process my payment and finally tell me I'm missing something let's say, in June haha
Yeah I can understand where you're coming from.. And I really doubt they would do that, this school is very professional
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a big announcement about the BMS program coming next week...stay tuned

As a current BMS student, I love all my fellow classmates. That being said, I don't like what is going on here and wanted to make an account to say.... I think that we (current BMSers) can all remember what it was like last year deciding whether or not we should do this program and what the pros and cons were. By saying something like "big news to come", it is just making people freak out more in an already crazy time. Although I have no idea what this is in reference to, I could maybe assume its about acceptances starting to go out at the end of march. That is merely speculation and hopefully puts some of you at ease. I really don't know what Tony is referring to, but if there were any major changes, good or bad, in terms of how the program was going to be run next year - I am sure they would have had to put it on their website or inform all applicants. Hope that calms some nerves. Good luck all!
 
As a current BMS student, I love all my fellow classmates. That being said, I don't like what is going on here and wanted to make an account to say.... I think that we (current BMSers) can all remember what it was like last year deciding whether or not we should do this program and what the pros and cons were. By saying something like "big news to come", it is just making people freak out more in an already crazy time. Although I have no idea what this is in reference to, I could maybe assume its about acceptances starting to go out at the end of march. That is merely speculation and hopefully puts some of you at ease. I really don't know what Tony is referring to, but if there were any major changes, good or bad, in terms of how the program was going to be run next year - I am sure they would have had to put it on their website or inform all applicants. Hope that calms some nerves. Good luck all!

felt the same way about creating this uncertainty.
 
when do we get more information about housing, financial aid, school schedule etc etc. Ive paid my deposit and just waiting on this information