Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015
Started by TonySoprano
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
As a current BMS student, I love all my fellow classmates. That being said, I don't like what is going on here and wanted to make an account to say....
Couldn't agree more with Cmorr1. I am a current BMSer, and I am very involved on campus, particularly with student government. I do not know what "big news" DrPepper75 and TonySoprano are referring to, but I can tell you that there have been no major changes to our program (good or bad) that I am aware of in the last few weeks.
I got in!!!!!!
Congrats! Now pay your deposit and join the fb group 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey so I got a PM asking about when I received word that my application was complete and all that stuff so I thought I would just post it here as well..
Date I mailed out my app: 2/4
Date the app was received: 2/28
Date the app complete(in screening): 3/5
Date accepted: 3/19
Date I mailed out my app: 2/4
Date the app was received: 2/28
Date the app complete(in screening): 3/5
Date accepted: 3/19
Sorry I missed this post somehow.. yes I received an emailcongrats!
did u get an email?
congrats addieu!
And to the individual who was complaining about the no email responses; I agree. I get either no response (ever) or a response at least a week later. I do understand this is a busy time for them though, so just hang in there, they're doing the best they can.
Also I really hope this "big news" is good :S
And to the individual who was complaining about the no email responses; I agree. I get either no response (ever) or a response at least a week later. I do understand this is a busy time for them though, so just hang in there, they're doing the best they can.
Also I really hope this "big news" is good :S
If you applied to student housing, the student lottery begins April 14. People who are selected should be notified by the week of April 21. You should complete your FAFSA now. Info about school schedules, etc will be sent out some time in the summer. Classes begin August 18.when do we get more information about housing, financial aid, school schedule etc etc. Ive paid my deposit and just waiting on this information
If you applied to student housing, the student lottery begins April 14. People who are selected should be notified by the week of April 21. You should complete your FAFSA now. Info about school schedules, etc will be sent out some time in the summer. Classes begin August 18.
how do you apply to student housing?
how do you apply to student housing?
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/prospectivestudents/studenthousing.aspx
My understanding is before (tomorrow) March 21, you apply via that link, they assign you a room, you then fill out a contract and give a deposit to officially reserve it. I'm not sure when that second contract/deposit is due; I assume it's contingent on when you receive your assignment.
-lf
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/prospectivestudents/studenthousing.aspx
My understanding is before (tomorrow) March 21, you apply via that link, they assign you a room, you then fill out a contract and give a deposit to officially reserve it. I'm not sure when that second contract/deposit is due; I assume it's contingent on when you receive your assignment.
-lf
i just my complete e-mail. I hope I get into the BMS program. Only thing i dont like about it the program is its cost.
edit: thx for the info. i think i am gonna fill it out. The BMS program starts in August right?
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/prospectivestudents/studenthousing.aspx
My understanding is before (tomorrow) March 21, you apply via that link, they assign you a room, you then fill out a contract and give a deposit to officially reserve it. I'm not sure when that second contract/deposit is due; I assume it's contingent on when you receive your assignment.
-lf
Are the apartments really not furnished?
first set of BMS students got into CMS today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are the apartments really not furnished?
I have never laid eyes on them, but it seems that way! Here are some floor plans/pics of student housing if you're having trouble finding it: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/prospectivestudents/studenthousing/studenthousingfloorplans.aspx
I'm debating between student housing and the woodlands: http://woodlandsongreenbay.com/amenities.html both are close enough to walk to class. I hope we have some time to decide, because I won't be able to visit until Mid-May.
I have never laid eyes on them, but it seems that way! Here are some floor plans/pics of student housing if you're having trouble finding it: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/prospectivestudents/studenthousing/studenthousingfloorplans.aspx
I'm debating between student housing and the woodlands: http://woodlandsongreenbay.com/amenities.html both are close enough to walk to class. I hope we have some time to decide, because I won't be able to visit until Mid-May.
Same I think ill probably visit before the housing lottery. Thank you for the links. It seems that the on campus apartments are not furnished.
If any current BMS students have a preliminary count on how many got into CMS on friday 03/21/2014, then please share. It will be helpful to next year's class so they know what to expect. I know only 3 people that were accepted so far. I know I wanted that information last year!
Congratulations on your acceptance!! (I'm basing that off your Status - "Medical Student (Accepted)"I've now heard that 10 people got in on Friday.
Many more are expected to be admitted, we'll keep you updated.
Any advice for doing well in this program? Thanks!
Thanks! The program is ideal for people that have low GPAs from undergrad and are looking for a chance to prove they can handle coursework.
That being said medical coursework is much harder than what most of us are used to, you've got to come in ready to commit yourself to a couple grueling months. A previous BMS student (now an M1) told me last year that I should look at it as a 45K dollar gamble on myself in order to make myself take it seriously, and I found that helpful.
Being in this program has made me realize that there are so many brilliant students out there that are having trouble getting into MD programs because of how random the process is. So I think everyone coming in has the capability of doing well, its just about finding out how much time you have to put in so that you can do well. For some people that will mean being in the library 12 hours a day and for others maybe just 4. Understand how much time you need to put in and don't get discouraged if its more than your friends, stay focused, avoid excessive distractions, and you'll do fine.
That being said medical coursework is much harder than what most of us are used to, you've got to come in ready to commit yourself to a couple grueling months. A previous BMS student (now an M1) told me last year that I should look at it as a 45K dollar gamble on myself in order to make myself take it seriously, and I found that helpful.
Being in this program has made me realize that there are so many brilliant students out there that are having trouble getting into MD programs because of how random the process is. So I think everyone coming in has the capability of doing well, its just about finding out how much time you have to put in so that you can do well. For some people that will mean being in the library 12 hours a day and for others maybe just 4. Understand how much time you need to put in and don't get discouraged if its more than your friends, stay focused, avoid excessive distractions, and you'll do fine.
Last edited:
I am a current M1 and completed the BMS program last year. Let me know if you have questions about BMS or CMS.
Just some advice: do not get any C’s in the program = C's are the kiss of death for CMS admission. You are excepted to receive A’s in the online certificate classes, and at least a B in all medical school classes and Topics in Physiology. If you can achieve these grades in the BMS program, then you will be ok for admission to medical school. There were a few BMS students with undergrad GPA of 3.0-3.2 and MCAT scores 21-24 that were accepted to medical school.
CMS admission for BMS students come at the end of March, end of April, and mid May. Most BMS students find out the results in May when the program is finished and all final grades are submitted. BMS students that are not accepted to CMS is mostly due to a C or lower in neuro, which is the hardest class in the program. Usually less than 10 BMS students are accepted in March that have a final grade of A for cell bio, A for biochem, A in 3 of the online classes, current grade of A in physio, A for the first neuro exam, and current grade of A in TIPs.
The BMS 2013 class started with 115 students, but only 106 graduated from the program. Of the 106 BMS students, 71 BMS students were accepted to CMS and are current M1A. There were a few BMS students that were accepted to other medical schools or applied to other healthcare programs (PA, podiatry, etc.).
Just some advice: do not get any C’s in the program = C's are the kiss of death for CMS admission. You are excepted to receive A’s in the online certificate classes, and at least a B in all medical school classes and Topics in Physiology. If you can achieve these grades in the BMS program, then you will be ok for admission to medical school. There were a few BMS students with undergrad GPA of 3.0-3.2 and MCAT scores 21-24 that were accepted to medical school.
CMS admission for BMS students come at the end of March, end of April, and mid May. Most BMS students find out the results in May when the program is finished and all final grades are submitted. BMS students that are not accepted to CMS is mostly due to a C or lower in neuro, which is the hardest class in the program. Usually less than 10 BMS students are accepted in March that have a final grade of A for cell bio, A for biochem, A in 3 of the online classes, current grade of A in physio, A for the first neuro exam, and current grade of A in TIPs.
The BMS 2013 class started with 115 students, but only 106 graduated from the program. Of the 106 BMS students, 71 BMS students were accepted to CMS and are current M1A. There were a few BMS students that were accepted to other medical schools or applied to other healthcare programs (PA, podiatry, etc.).
As a current BMS student, I agree with most of what MSCMSMD17 said and I just wanted to add one more point to it. Though you are expected to accepted to CMS in March if you've achieved A's in all of the classes you are/have taken during your BMS year, it is not always the case (at least this year). There were a handful of people that I know of who had straight A's and did not get into CMS this year (at least 7 or 8). Also, even if you did not achieve all A's you can still get accepted in the first wave. In fact, if I'm not mistaken most people who had all A's did not get in last week for some reason. My point is that you never know what their policy is on selecting but always try to get as many A's as possible. However, what I do know is that if you get any C's your chances are pretty slim. Just avoid getting a C like a plague and try to aim for As and do not lose hope even if you don't get in the first wave. Last year, most students got in the second/third wave and they just want to see if you can handle the hardest course (neuro).
I am a current M1 and completed the BMS program last year. Let me know if you have questions about BMS or CMS.
Just some advice: do not get any C’s in the program = C's are the kiss of death for CMS admission. You are excepted to receive A’s in the online certificate classes, and at least a B in all medical school classes and Topics in Physiology. If you can achieve these grades in the BMS program, then you will be ok for admission to medical school. There were a few BMS students with undergrad GPA of 3.0-3.2 and MCAT scores 21-24 that were accepted to medical school.
CMS admission for BMS students come at the end of March, end of April, and mid May. Most BMS students find out the results in May when the program is finished and all final grades are submitted. BMS students that are not accepted to CMS is mostly due to a C or lower in neuro, which is the hardest class in the program. Usually less than 10 BMS students are accepted in March that have a final grade of A for cell bio, A for biochem, A in 3 of the online classes, current grade of A in physio, A for the first neuro exam, and current grade of A in TIPs.
The BMS 2013 class started with 115 students, but only 106 graduated from the program. Of the 106 BMS students, 71 BMS students were accepted to CMS and are current M1A. There were a few BMS students that were accepted to other medical schools or applied to other healthcare programs (PA, podiatry, etc.).
Last edited:
As a current BMS student, I agree with most of what MSCMSMD17 said and I just wanted to add one more point to it. Though you are expected to accepted to CMS in March if you've achieved A's in all of the classes you are/have taken during your BMS year, it is not always the case (at least this year). There were a handful of people that I know of who had straight A's and did not get into CMS this year (at least 7 or 8). Also, even if you did not achieve all A's you can still get accepted in the first wave. In fact, if I'm not mistaken most people who had all A's did not get in last week for some reason. My point is that you never know what their policy is on selecting but always try to get as many A's as possible. However, what I do know is that if you get any C's your chances are pretty slim. Just avoid getting a C like a plague and try to aim for As and do not lose hope even if you don't get in the first wave. Last year, most students got in the second/third wave and they just want to see if you can handle the hardest course (neuro).
Do you mean those people who have straight As were rejected? Or just not accepted this wave?
Not accepted this wave. Nobody has received a rejection letter as far as I'm concerned. They will most likely get in later on so what I'm trying to say is getting in first wave doesn't mean they had all A's and only a few people get in first waveDo you mean those people who have straight As were rejected? Or just not accepted this wave?
Not accepted this wave. Nobody has received a rejection letter as far as I'm concerned. They will most likely get in later on so what I'm trying to say is getting in first wave doesn't mean they had all A's and only a few people get in first wave
Oh good ok thanks!!
Not accepted this wave. Nobody has received a rejection letter as far as I'm concerned. They will most likely get in later on so what I'm trying to say is getting in first wave doesn't mean they had all A's and only a few people get in first wave
Were there any cases where someone got good grades and still didn't make it into med? I mean if someone does great in terms of marks but bombs the interview..
Yes there are very rare cases of people with straight A's having a bad interview and not getting in. But you REALLY have to do bad. The interview day has two interviews, and if one goes bad they give you a third one to balance it out....so messing up 2/3 is rare. Plus the interviews aren't really built to stump you, just to get to know you.
Moreover, while it is true that C's are the kiss of death, the whole idea of the first wave being for people w/ straight A's wasn't true for this year. It seems like CMS has begun to take a more holistic approach to reviewing their first round applicants this year. Meaning your EC's, Interview, MCAT score can all HELP you out in terms of getting in earlier (they won't hurt you, you will eventually get in as long as you have good BMS grades). Remember, the BMS grades that you earn here are mostly to over shadow a bad undergrad GPA. Thats the essence of most SMPs in the country.
All that being said, it may be that for your guy's year they might revert back to how MSCMSMD17 described their year.
Don't let all the policies distract you though, just focus on yourself, getting good grades, and you'll be fine.
Moreover, while it is true that C's are the kiss of death, the whole idea of the first wave being for people w/ straight A's wasn't true for this year. It seems like CMS has begun to take a more holistic approach to reviewing their first round applicants this year. Meaning your EC's, Interview, MCAT score can all HELP you out in terms of getting in earlier (they won't hurt you, you will eventually get in as long as you have good BMS grades). Remember, the BMS grades that you earn here are mostly to over shadow a bad undergrad GPA. Thats the essence of most SMPs in the country.
All that being said, it may be that for your guy's year they might revert back to how MSCMSMD17 described their year.
Don't let all the policies distract you though, just focus on yourself, getting good grades, and you'll be fine.
The interview day has two interviews, and if one goes bad they give you a third one to balance it out....so messing up 2/3 is rare. Plus the interviews aren't really built to stump you, just to get to know you.
.
Could you elaborate on there being "two interviews" and a potential third one? Are they traditional interviews or MMI or something? Or is it like a "soft" interview with a student then a "hard" interview with faculty?
For those who have applied to medical schools prior to starting the bms program...did you guys officially withdraw your applications from those schools assuming you weren't rejected yet?
I am only asking because I have not received any interviews or rejections from some schools. So I want to know if I should withdraw my applications or not
I am only asking because I have not received any interviews or rejections from some schools. So I want to know if I should withdraw my applications or not
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You only need to withdraw your application if you've heard back from them in regards to getting an interview. If they haven't contacted you by the time you've started the program its safe to assume a silent rejection.
There are just two traditional interviews which can be any combination of staff or students. Third interviews are usually given only if one of your original two interviewers is an unexperienced student or if one of the original two interviewers gave you a poor score. But that shouldn't be worrying you yet, theres still tons of studying to do between the first day of school and the first day of interviews lol.
There are just two traditional interviews which can be any combination of staff or students. Third interviews are usually given only if one of your original two interviewers is an unexperienced student or if one of the original two interviewers gave you a poor score. But that shouldn't be worrying you yet, theres still tons of studying to do between the first day of school and the first day of interviews lol.
To current and previous BMSers, during the program, are there things that we as applicants can do to make us more well rounded in order to appeal to their holistic approach? Do they like if you volunteer, get involved with the school, etc? How about working? I would like to continue working at my job at least every other weekend.
Absolutely any info would help, thanks so much 🙂
Absolutely any info would help, thanks so much 🙂
To current and previous BMSers, during the program, are there things that we as applicants can do to make us more well rounded in order to appeal to their holistic approach? Do they like if you volunteer, get involved with the school, etc? How about working? I would like to continue working at my job at least every other weekend.
Absolutely any info would help, thanks so much 🙂
kinda like the question i tried to ask before you posted.
you just worded it better lol.
They recommend you do nothing for at least the first 4-6 weeks. Take that time to get used to the workload, and then figure out if you can afford to commit yourself to other things.
Most BMS students do participate in at least one club. Plus there are plenty of events that you can volunteer in once in a while. Its not a huge part of your CMS application.
Most BMS students do participate in at least one club. Plus there are plenty of events that you can volunteer in once in a while. Its not a huge part of your CMS application.
Congrats! Now the next step is to pay the deposit and join the facebook group 🙂I got in
Ahhh, I just got home from shadowing and I saw my acceptance email. So psyched!
Date I mailed out my app: 3/6
Date the app was received: 3/11
Date the app complete(in screening): 3/17
Date accepted: 3/25
Date I mailed out my app: 3/6
Date the app was received: 3/11
Date the app complete(in screening): 3/17
Date accepted: 3/25
So now that we're accepted, we still have to do the AMCAS and secondary applications for CMS this cycle right?
Good job to all!
I got the app being screened email on 03/19 and still nothing, I'm getting so nervous!!
I got the app being screened email on 03/19 and still nothing, I'm getting so nervous!!
yesSo now that we're accepted, we still have to do the AMCAS and secondary applications for CMS this cycle right?
Hello, All!
I've applied to about 17 MD programs and have had no interview invites. My overall GPA is 3.0/ sGPA 2.94; MCAT 29. Is it too late for me to apply, do you think? Hopefully the class isn't anywhere near full yet?
Nowhere close to full. Not too late
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To current and past BMSers, are lecture notes for each class pretty comprehensive? Or do you have to read out of the books often to cover exam material well.
how hard is neuro? since you guys says its the most difficult class. is it like minute detail memory they expect from you?
Quick question - Are Canadians in the BMS Program disadvantaged in any way when they're considered for CMS? It says on the CMS webpage that they're limited to the number of international students they can accept
For all these questions I suggest joining the current BMS facebook group, reading their earlier post cleared up a lot of stuff for me. Plus you can ask the current BMS students whatever questions you have! Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/486795574702679/To current and past BMSers, are lecture notes for each class pretty comprehensive? Or do you have to read out of the books often to cover exam material well.
Also, there are some lectures that are posted in the group...so I learned what I'm getting myself into (sort of) come August.
Thanks @addieu345, I've checked out their page. I didn't want to ask there because they're using that page for posting current things and I'm sure they didn't set up that page for questions to be asked from upcoming students. I figured those who are willing to answer questions are reading this forum anyways.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 5K