Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how hard is neuro? since you guys says its the most difficult class. is it like minute detail memory they expect from you?
We've only had one neuroscience exam and the class average was an 83%. The average for most exams we've had all year is between 80% and 85%. The class has gotten a bit harder for this second exam because we have to know structures in the spinal cord and different brain blood vessels which is is daunting the first time they teach them to you. But if you look at structures everyday for 30 minutes they begin sticking in your mind. In addition the non-anatomy material is alot as well. IMO, I think its on the same difficulty level with Physiology.

To current and past BMSers, are lecture notes for each class pretty comprehensive? Or do you have to read out of the books often to cover exam material well.
Some lecturers have really detailed notes(40+ pages of mostly words and a few figures) while others have notes that are to the point and short(3-12 pages of just words). Although, in Biochemistry I remember the first set of notes for Carbohydrate metabolism was 120 pages! But you can condense that stuff easily once you read through it and understand what you have to know. Along with the notes are the lecture slides from powerpoint presentations(the ones they actually present in class) which tend to be several pages(maybe 15 pages is average length with 2 slides per page) with just pictures on them that they use for the actual lecture. You do not need to buy any text books with the exception of(IMO) Haines Neuroanatomy Atlas which has all the pictures of brain structures you need to know for the neuroscience course. You may need to buy a textbook for your track class if you can't find a bootleg copy from someone else or online. Overall, don't expect to spend too much money on textbooks unless you are the kind of person that likes more details. Lastly, although I didn't buy these books I kinda wish that I had atleast looked into them: Vander's Renal Physiology and West's Pulmonary physiology(but West also has a whole video series on youtube that is the same as the book, so I guess its the same thing for free).

Are Canadians in the BMS Program disadvantaged in any way when they're considered for CMS?
I don't know if there is a quota on how many international students can be accepted, but I believe one of the students accepted last week was Canadian, so you can make it.
 
Last edited:
if you do get accepted when is the deadline to make the deposit to accept the admissions offer?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
International students in my opinion don't have any disadvantages when being considered for CMS, in fact I feel like the international students are often best prepared for BMS. (at least among the people I know).

Neuro is hard haha.

It is very rare that you actually need to use a textbook for any of the classes.

Using our FB group is great, but if you find that you haven't been accepted its because lately we've had a lot of fake accounts try to get in so its hard to distinguish a real person from a fake one. If we see that on your public profile that you are some sort of a pre-med or college student we will accept you but if you haven't been accepted in a couple of days just send the moderator a fb message.

Also a lot of the people on your BMS fb group are current BMSers so don't be afraid to ask questions there.
 
Slightly off topic, but relevant for those of us who may end up at CMS one day - why isn't this year's match list up yet for CMS? I can't find it anywhere. I found the last three years, but haven't seen/heard anything about this year.
 
Slightly off topic, but relevant for those of us who may end up at CMS one day - why isn't this year's match list up yet for CMS? I can't find it anywhere. I found the last three years, but haven't seen/heard anything about this year.


Same here I can't find it!
 
Its prolly delayed a bit, but don't worry the kids this year did good.

IDK If this is a good marker, but for neurosurgery we had 4 m4s match at University of Texas, Georgetown, Emory, and Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. Conversely for Anesthesiology we had 13 kids match USC, cleveland clinic, kentucky, einstein, wisconsin, usc, uiuc, hopkins, north carolina, western penn, pritzker, cedars sinai, stanford.
 
its an hour train ride or a 40-45 minute drive. Its pretty easy and people end up coordinating buses to go after every exam (once every three weeks).
 
This may be a silly question, but how safe is North Chicago/the surround areas? Would you walk alone at night?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes it's safe because it's a suburb. Though since the weather is freezing most of the academic year I'm thinking most students avoid walking if they can.
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes it's safe because it's a suburb. Though since the weather is freezing most of the academic year I'm thinking most students avoid walking if they can.
That's what I figured. Anyone currently in that area mind confirming?
 
That's what I figured. Anyone currently in that area mind confirming?
Current BMSer here. Actually, there really isn't much walking that happens in North Chicago. It's basically surrounded by the ghetto (waukengan, to the north) and really nice suburbs to the south (lake bluff, lake forest). It is definitely a commuter campus where you want a car (or have friends who have cars) because there is nothing within walking distance from the campus.
 
Current BMSer here. Actually, there really isn't much walking that happens in North Chicago. It's basically surrounded by the ghetto (waukengan, to the north) and really nice suburbs to the south (lake bluff, lake forest). It is definitely a commuter campus where you want a car (or have friends who have cars) because there is nothing within walking distance from the campus.

wow...that'll suck for out-of-town kids
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
current students are making it sound like theres nothing within walking distance. if i was a businessman I would open a grocery and stores within walking distance of the campus. can't believe nobody stepped up and took advantage of the lack of stores near by.
 
current students are making it sound like theres nothing within walking distance. if i was a businessman I would open a grocery and stores within walking distance of the campus. can't believe nobody stepped up and took advantage of the lack of stores near by.

??? I suggest visiting North Chicago before you sign your acceptance letter. It's not that kind of place with stores and malls. It's next to a Naval Base and other industries. If you would rather have that big city feel, go to Philadelphia or Boston instead. There's other masters programs there.
 
??? I suggest visiting North Chicago before you sign your acceptance letter. It's not that kind of place with stores and malls. It's next to a Naval Base and other industries. If you would rather have that big city feel, go to Philadelphia or Boston instead. There's other masters programs there.

yh i plan to visit before i accept anything. if i get an acceptance.
 
Does anyone know how many applicants there typically are for the 100-some spots in the program? Sorry if this has already been asked. 🙂 I'm applying next year because I've got to work some more before having a chance of being able to afford this program. 3.19 overall, 3.41 science (enormous upward trend...4.0 GPA for the last four semesters of my 5-year UG program), 32 MCAT. Do I have a chance?
 
Does anyone know how many applicants there typically are for the 100-some spots in the program? Sorry if this has already been asked. 🙂 I'm applying next year because I've got to work some more before having a chance of being able to afford this program. 3.19 overall, 3.41 science (enormous upward trend...4.0 GPA for the last four semesters of my 5-year UG program), 32 MCAT. Do I have a chance?

So according to their "Class Profile" 414 people applied and 115 got in last year.
 
the class profile on the website is a little outdated. Its from 2011, I believe. The numbers are more competitive than what is listed there.

Does anyone know how many applicants there typically are for the 100-some spots in the program? Sorry if this has already been asked. 🙂 I'm applying next year because I've got to work some more before having a chance of being able to afford this program. 3.19 overall, 3.41 science (enormous upward trend...4.0 GPA for the last four semesters of my 5-year UG program), 32 MCAT. Do I have a chance?

You are a prime candidate for BMS.
 
@TonySoprano did you ever make that big announcement regarding the program?

Also, regarding the area... A car cuts down on a lot of extra stress of having to find rides for groceries, etc. If at all possible, bring one!
 
current students are making it sound like theres nothing within walking distance. if i was a businessman I would open a grocery and stores within walking distance of the campus. can't believe nobody stepped up and took advantage of the lack of stores near by.

Haha I think about how awesome this would be every day, but theres really no empty space within walking distance.
 
Good morning everyone,

So I have applied to the MD program of the CMS and since I have not yet received an II, I am starting to consider applying to the BMS program. On the application, I noticed that we have the option to allow the admissions committee to use some materials from our MD application. Does this include letters of recommendation?
I mean do I have to ask my professors to write a new set of RL for the BMS program? Or will the RLs from my MD application suffice?
 
Good morning everyone,

So I have applied to the MD program of the CMS and since I have not yet received an II, I am starting to consider applying to the BMS program. On the application, I noticed that we have the option to allow the admissions committee to use some materials from our MD application. Does this include letters of recommendation?
I mean do I have to ask my professors to write a new set of RL for the BMS program? Or will the RLs from my MD application suffice?
They do transfer your LORs from CMS to BMS. You will just need to complete a consent form that allows them to transfer your files.
 
Hi,

Did any of you use your AMCAS PS + extra info. on why BMS for the first essay prompt? I am not sure b/c they can retrieve my AMCAS so I wonder if I should write something different?
Thanks!
 
Hi,

Did any of you use your AMCAS PS + extra info. on why BMS for the first essay prompt? I am not sure b/c they can retrieve my AMCAS so I wonder if I should write something different?
Thanks!

I don't think they look at your essay from your AMCAS application (could be wrong). So you can keep your old AMCAS essay or change it up. I wrote a completely different one because I realized how much my AMCAS one sucked.
 
Hi,

Did any of you use your AMCAS PS + extra info. on why BMS for the first essay prompt? I am not sure b/c they can retrieve my AMCAS so I wonder if I should write something different?
Thanks!

I wrote a different essay
 
They don't care if you reuse the bulk of your PS.

What I did last year was that I wrote a couple paragraphs explaining why BMS and then attached my PS below that to explain why medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know who the head faculty member for the program is? I certainly won't be calling directly, I'm just curious
 
Officially submitted and sent everything out this past Friday....

can anyone give me a timeline for how long it took for them to hear that their app was fully received and now being reviewed? Also how long to hear for an acceptance or rejection?

Also does anyone know by what time, if you haven't heard for an acceptance, that you most likely should move to a plan B?

Thanks so much! 🙂
 
Officially submitted and sent everything out this past Friday....

can anyone give me a timeline for how long it took for them to hear that their app was fully received and now being reveiwed? Also how long to hear for an acceptance or rejection?

Also does anyone know by what time, if you haven't heard for an acceptance, that you most likely should move to a plan B?

Thanks so much! 🙂

So... for me, I received "application received" mail about 20 days after they received it in the mailbox, and "application complete" email 5 days after that, and "application under review" 7 days after. I'm thinking I'll get a decision in a week or two?
 
is it just me...? or are your Is being changed to me's as well..?

Edit: Me just got it.. LOL well played SDN
 
Last edited:
me be between BMS at CMS and SMP at GU... what ye all think? which makes candidates more successful?

me stats be 3.57 cGPA, 28 MCAT
 
Hey everyone, I was accepted last week to the BMS program but have not had a chance to post. I am so excited to start the program in August!! I have some questions for past BMS students. Do you believe that there is a seat for every BMS student in CMS if you do great in the BMS program? (I know this does not happen but hypothetically speaking..) Also what housing is the best option, cost and convenience wise? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah they say that theres a spot for everyone if everyone does well. So take that for what its worth. Understand that they will be accepting regular candidates from sept to march though.

Housing options include student housing and woodlands, which are both equidistant from the campus. Navy Housing is a lil further but cheaper.

I like woodlands because we have a pool/fitness center/closer to basketball courts.
 
Hey everyone, me was accepted last week to the BMS program but have not had a chance to post. me am so excited to start the program in August!! me have some questions for past BMS students. Do you believe that thar be a seat for every BMS student in CMS if you do great in the BMS program? (me know this does not happen but hypothetically speakin'..) Also what housin' be the best option, cost and convenience wise? Thanks!
Congrats!! Welcome future BMSer! Hopefully you paid your deposit already and join our facebook group.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411304125794697/

Regarding your questions, it's been extensively posted on this thread and previous year's threads that everyone who gets into the BMS program has a seat for them in CMS, barring they perform well in the BMS program and doesn't screw up their interview.

Housing: I'm waiting on the student housing lottery and word from Woodlands about the waitlist. Those are the closest and most utilized options.
 
Yeah they say that theres a spot for everyone if everyone does well. So take that for what its worth. Understand that they will be acceptin' regular candidates from sept to march though.

Housin' options include student housin' and woodlands, which be both equidistant from the campus. Navy Housin' be a lil further but cheaper.

me like woodlands because we have a pool/fitness center/closer to basketball courts.
It does not sound like you are very confident in that saying? I get that the 100% BMS student matriculation is almost impossible, but it is nice to know that if I come there and crush the program I will have a spot.
 
Congrats!! Welcome future BMSer! Hopefully you paid yer deposit already and join our facebook group.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411304125794697/

Regardin' yer questions, it's been extensively posted on this thread and previous year's threads that everyone who gets into the BMS program has a seat for them in CMS, barrin' they perform well in the BMS program and doesn't screw up their interview.

Housin': me be waitin' on the student housin' lottery and word from Woodlands about the waitlist. Those be the closest and most utilized options.
Thanks!! Congrats to you as well! Yes, I have paid my deposit, and look forward to meeting everyone in August. Also, thanks for the info, I have not gone through all the past threads yet.. working on that now.
 
Hey everyone, me was accepted last week to t' BMS program but have not had a chance to post. me am so excited to start t' program in August!! me have some questions for past BMS students. Do ye believe that thar be a seat for every BMS student in CMS if ye do great in t' BMS program? (me know this does not happen but hypothetically speakin'..) Also what housin' be t' best option, cost and convenience wise? argh!

Congrates on your acceptance. I am also waiting for the housing lottery which should be in two weeks but will probably look into off campus housing just in case on-campus doesn't work out.

Btw this apr. fools thing is amusing lol everyone sounds like a pirate

Hahaha ell oh ell turns into yo ho ho....