Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestHaven626

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to the RFU BMS Program for Fall 2009?
When is the earliest that an acceptance will be reached?

PS
I was talking to an admissions advisor and she said that RFU BMS is well respected and that many know it is real tough and take that into account...that goes against some of the posters who say otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the middle of applying to the program. hopefully decisions dont take as long as the do for some places

i just applied too, (sent my application in November) but haven't heard from them...i'm assuming they send out the first cycle in March....

Members don't see this ad :)
are we allowed to use our personal statements from AMCAS if we applied to med school in the past year?

I just sent in my application yesterday. I talked to someone in the admissions office and they said if you applied to any of their other programs (ie their med school) you don't need to send in your MCAT score, letters- assuming your file was complete. you DO need to send in an updated transcript and I think you need to answer the essay questions asked on the application instead of just your AMCAS essay. i'm not sure about that last point but I wrote those just in case.

Did you talk to someone about the AMCAS statement? Im working on application right now and I wasnt sure if the AMCAS statement was sufficient to answer the first essay question. Also, Im assuming that the when answering the second essay question we just talk about the certificate path we choose?

I got an email yesterday saying i'm complete and going to be reviewed! whoo hoo!

i got my acceptance email today! whoo hoo! I have somewhere to go next year! good luck to everyone else.

I am not familiar with the Rosalind Franklin BMS post bac program.

1, Is it worthwhile; if so why?

2. Are applicants that are not residents of the state of Illinois at a disadvantage in the RFU post bac admissions process?

3. Does the Rosalind Franklin BMS post bac program have a good track record for getting its grads into med school?

4. Any idea how selective the RFU program is? How many applicants, for how many acceptances, for how many slots?

Thanks for any favorable or unfavorable information you care to share about this program.

I also just got my acceptance email today! Hooray! Planning on visiting the school this weekend hopefully. Anyone else get in and planning on visiting this weekend? Good luck to everyone! It has been a very stressful and challenging experience applying to medical schools and masters programs. Keep trying and you'll all get there!

RFU SMP

some of the things i personally like about RFU is that their BMS program is very integrated with the other health professions programs. On the website under course descriptions, it tells you which classes you take with medical students and students from other programs.

I also like the fact that you get a certification in a particular area. I am choosing to do the clinical analysis certification, seeing as that seems the most useful for what I want to do.

RFU is a private school so being out of state shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

There isn't any data on MBS gards getting into med school on their website but it also seems like a fairly new program so I don't know...

I know there are about 100 spots and if I can get in, it must not be too competitive :) check out my mdapps. ha.

It definitely isn't my top choice of SMP but i'm glad i have something to fall back on so i'm not bumming around next year doing nothing. hope that helps!

I also just got my acceptance email today! Hooray! Planning on visiting the school this weekend hopefully. Anyone else get in and planning on visiting this weekend? Good luck to everyone! It has been a very stressful and challenging experience applying to medical schools and masters programs. Keep trying and you'll all get there!

Hey, are you planning on living in their campus housing apartments or going a little off campus? it's more than likely that i'll end up here and i looked at some apartments in the area (north chicago and lake bluff) and they seem cheaper than the campus apartments for the most part (and nicer too). i'm excited that it's so close to the beach! Let me know how your visit goes, since I won't be able to visit until the summer.

Hey, are you planning on living in their campus housing apartments or going a little off campus? it's more than likely that i'll end up here and i looked at some apartments in the area (north chicago and lake bluff) and they seem cheaper than the campus apartments for the most part (and nicer too). i'm excited that it's so close to the beach! Let me know how your visit goes, since I won't be able to visit until the summer.

I submitted my housing application on Tuesday, just in case, and had a contract offer sent to me via email on Thursday. They are offering me a handicap-accessible double room. I have until May 1 to take it or not. According to my tour guide today who lived in the Woodland apartments, the University apartments are nicer but slightly more expensive (but most of the utilities are included so it balances out).

I loved the tour today. When I first arrived on campus, I was honestly a little worried about the size of the school. It like two big building connected by a skywalk. Coming from a Big Ten school, I used to walking 15 minute across campus in order to get back to classes. But after taking the tour, I am very excited about coming here. For as small as the school looks on the outside, it packs a lot on the inside. The library is big and offers a large section that is open 24 hours. I got to go into the Gross Anatomy lab and see some podiatry students dissect a human leg. The clinical rooms where the med students are video-taped and evaluated by their performance with actors were sweet! There are two cafeterias! Overall, I really like the facilities and I strongly believe that this school will motivate me to study hard and stay focused. At the same time, the tour guide told me that intramural sports are huge there and people get to know each other really well.

The city itself of North Chicago is basically the Naval Base, houses, apartments, the school, and a few stores. But it is soooo close to other stuff like Gurnee, IL which has Six Flags and Gurnee Mills Mall and all the mainstream stores/restaurants you may want (I measured about 7 miles away or a 16 minute drive). Also there are two train stations in town and so it's easy to go into the city of Chicago. The school offers shuttles to the train stations. So if you've been reading that the school is in the middle of nowhere, I would go see it for yourself. I think that there is so much to do in the very close surrounding areas. And parking is free on campus so if you live at the University or Woodland apartments, you can keep your car there and drive to your hearts delight!

Hope this helped a little. Let me know if anyone has any questions and I'll see if I can answer based on what I learned from touring the school. Definitely recommend taking a tour! I can't wait to move to N. Chicago. If anyone needs a roommate, let me know and maybe we can find a close apartment for cheaper than the University apartments!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Loc,
Thanks for the great information! I just got my big envelope in the mail yesterday so I'm probably going to mail that in today or Monday to hold my spot. I'm still waiting on a couple more schools but this may be my only acceptance. I've lived in suburbs around North Chicago so even if that specific town is a little dead, I'm not too worried about finding things to do in the area. and it's good to hear that there's free parking on campus because I'll definitely be bringing my car. and I totally know what you mean about the big ten campus thing. I think I'll end up living in a 1-BR apartment but good luck finding an apartment! I would have considered taking you up on the roommate thing but I'm not a fan of co-ed living. Anyway, here's to maybe being classmates soon!

oh and not to mention- Lake Bluff's beach is a 5 minute drive away. score!

i got in as well but will be giving up my spot, so hopefully someone will benefit.

I just got accepted as well! I am moving from Texas, do you have any recommedations on condos/townhomes close by campus? Would it be worth it to live in Evanston or Downtown? Please advise...

You'll be too far from Evanston or downtown Chicago, you're going to have to live in North Chicago (it's the name of the town) where RFUMS is, or in Gurnee. They have campus housing, I hear it's pretty nice.

I'm trying to find a roommate that wants to live in the Woodlands apartments right across the street from campus. Anyone interested? PM me if so

I just got into Loyola's MAMS which is my top choice so I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from RFU. I hope one of you gets my spot! Good luck!

This might have been answered already but RFU SMP is a 1 year program that can get you into RFU medical school (25 % or so??) directly after the program without a gap year? How successful and what gpa going into the program??

hey, guys, congrats on getting in. I am currently applying to the bms program and was wondering what your scores (GPA, MCAT) were to get you in. Thanks.

This might have been answered already but RFU SMP is a 1 year program that can get you into RFU medical school (25 % or so??) directly after the program without a gap year? How successful and what gpa going into the program??

Bump :)

Hey everyone... I'm a current BMSer -- taking a quick late night study break from Neuroscience and just stumbled upon this thread...

For those of you on the fence as to whether or not you should come -- well let me first say that this is a wonderful program, and I came to this one over the other masters programs I got into because it has the best chance of getting you into a medical school, CMS specifically... So provided that you don't mind being at CMS and you're will to get in anywhere, this is your best shot...

So far around 20 of us have gotten in this year, myself included, of the 65-70 or so that have stuck it out (we started with 93, and I would imagine that another 15+ will get in this summer, as historically 40-50% of the surviving class, provided they have the grades, have gotten into CMS) -- and all those who have received acceptances thus far have simply been those that have lived in the library all year, since day one, and have dedicated their lives to the program and getting in...no surprises...

Med School isn't hard guys, it's simply all about time and effort -- you've gotta put in the time to reap the reward... But let me also say that by "time," I mean that most of us probably put in a good 60+ hours a week in the library, coffee shops, etc... NO JOKE!! That's what it will take -- this isn't undergrad anymore... One will not be able to survive on pure brilliance... But in the end you will be rewarded for your efforts with an acceptance into CMS, an amazing wealth of knowledge, a place to call home for the next four years, a laid back M1a year, and a sure sense of direction with your future...

Well anyhow, hope this helps, as this was the kind of info I remember looking for before I decided to come here last year... Best of luck with your acceptances into this program and others... I wish you well in all you do -- and if you choose to come here, provided you are ready to work, you'll likely come to love this program as much as I have...

Is it too late to apply to this program? In other words, are there still seats available or will I just be wasting my time in applying?

So far around 20 of us have gotten in this year, myself included, of the 65-70 or so that have stuck it out (we started with 93, and I would imagine that another 15+ will get in this summer, as historically 40-50% of the surviving class, provided they have the grades, have gotten into CMS) -- and all those who have received acceptances thus far have simply been those that have lived in the library all year, since day one, and have dedicated their lives to the program and getting in...no surprises...

Med School isn't hard guys, it's simply all about time and effort -- you've gotta put in the time to reap the reward... But let me also say that by "time," I mean that most of us probably put in a good 60+ hours a week in the library, coffee shops, etc... NO JOKE!! That's what it will take -- this isn't undergrad anymore... One will not be able to survive on pure brilliance... But in the end you will be rewarded for your efforts with an acceptance into CMS, an amazing wealth of knowledge, a place to call home for the next four years, a laid back M1a year, and a sure sense of direction with your future...

Well anyhow, hope this helps, as this was the kind of info I remember looking for before I decided to come here last year... Best of luck with your acceptances into this program and others... I wish you well in all you do -- and if you choose to come here, provided you are ready to work, you'll likely come to love this program as much as I have...

Hey, thanks for the information!

Question...how does CMS rank to other medical schools? Such as match rate and all that fun stuff?

What kind of classes are typically taken?

Thanks.

is there any type of linkage or statistics about how many get into med school?

hey, thanks for the information!

Question...how does cms rank to other medical schools? Such as match rate and all that fun stuff?

What kind of classes are typically taken?

Thanks.

bump:)

Don't have a lot of time to reply to you're message hwpo, as we're in the middle of finals...

But you'll be taking Med Cell Bio, Medical Biochem, Medical Embryo, Medical Physio, Medical Neuroscience, and a few BMS specific courses -- like clinical research, health care management, or physio pathology, etc... But you'll be taking all of the med school classes with the med students -- and be treated no differently by the professors throughout the year... In fact, all the course directors love the BMSers, because we care so stinking much about learning this stuff...

CMS is very respected within the Chicagoland, and board scores / residency match lists are terrific -- which is the only thing that really matters in the end... Someone posted the CMS 2009 match on studentdoc somewhere, so look for it... It was outstanding this year, as always!!

I'm working on the app and one essay question asks you to indicate qualities that would make you a successful candidate for the distance learning components of the program.

What is this all about? I've searched and searched. This "distance learning" doesn't seem to be a major component of this particular program. If it is, I have not been able to find any information on it.

Can anyone comment on this "distance learning" component of the Biomedical Sciences Program at RFUMS?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm new to SDN and just noticed this thread. I am also a current BMS student and was just accepted into the medical school a little over a month ago. All I can say is that this program is honestly one of the best programs out there to get students into medical school (specifically CMS). As the other poster pointed out, be prepared to work your butt off in the program, it's not easy, but if you put in the time and effort it will definitely pay off.
As for some of the questions that weren't answered yet, the distance portion of the program they are referring to is the Healthcare Management track (I'm not sure if the clinical research track has a distance learning portion to it). I'm currently in this track and they pretty much just want to know the experience you have with online classes (all of the HCAM courses are taken online). I think I wrote about my experiences with taking online quizzes in college and my online summer class.
Also, as for the linkage into CMS, if you are a student in the program you are guaranteed an interview with the medical school. During orientation prior to beginning the program they show you a powerpoint with statistics of students getting into CMS. Last year it was around 70% and the year before that around the same (maybe a little lower). This year as the other poster stated, about 20-22 of us of the remaining 70 or so students have been accepted this year, and most likely more over the summer.
If anyone has any more questions about the program or any advice prior to starting/applying just ask away. We start finals on Monday so I'll try to respond as quickly as I can. Good luck!

Hey guys sorry for the double post, but I found some statistics for you that we received prior to starting the program during orientation. In '07, 56 students applied to CMS from the BMS and 39 were offered admission to the medical school (70%). Last year 45 applied and 34 were offered admission (75%). Hope that helps those of you looking for numbers.

Hi everyone. I just received my acceptance email today! It took so long I'd forgotten all about it and was moving forward with another school. However, I really like that the classes I'll take in MBS will count and ease up my first year of med school.

I have to make a decision within two weeks and I'm willing to fly up and tour the campus if the current MBS students on this thread will confirm that the stats of MBS students accepted into CMS are for the following year, with no "gap year" in between. Just to be sure before I buy (another!) expensive plane ticket. :p

Thank you.

hey, thanks for the information so far. if you don't mind, do any of you guys who have been accepted into the medical school know what the average GPA is for those who have been accepted?

Responding to the first question, no there is not a gap year after you finish the program. You go into CMS with an M1 advanced standing the August following graduation from the BMS program and the perk is that you don't have to retake any of the classes you took during your BMS year (which leaves 3 core classes Histo, Anatomy, and Genetics, as well as some other "filler" classes to complete your M1A year). This also gives you a great opportunity to TA, or do research or get involved in more extracurriculars to boost your application for residency.
As for the GPA question, from what I've heard, everyone that has been accepted so far have maintained a 3.8+ in the program (maybe the other BMS student can confirm this). However, I know a lot of people still get in with lower GPA's over the summer, as has happened in years past. You pretty much want to shoot for a 3.6+ in the program, but obviously the higher the better. Hope this helps!

Thank you for all your help docRy24! I'm going to try to tour on Thursday and am really excited. Good luck on your finals. :)

Hey guys,
I have been accepted to the program and I am concenred for my MCAT.
I recieved the following history of scores:
23, 25 , 22 (jan 09)

the average mcat for accepted cms students is a 29..(but i was told that's not from the bms students)

after completing the bms, assuming a great gpa, what do you think the weight is on the mcat?

anyone hear any news. i emailed them and they only gave me a response of 29 and that your whole file will be reviewed.

please let me know if anyone has any info, this is a kinda big deal cuz i dont want to go through the program and then realizing that I should have retaken the mcat" u know.

I got accepted but am giving up my space to go to Tufts MBS, hope one of you still waiting gets it! Good luck!

Hey WestHaven, I actually had the same question prior to starting the BMS program last fall. DO NOT retake your MCAT, I made the mistake of doing this last summer prior to entering the BMS program. A lot of students that do very well in the program and have MCAT scores below the mid 20's are still accepted into CMS. So trust me do not worry about your MCAT. If you work your butt off from the start and prove that you can handle the medical school classes, you should have no trouble getting into CMS.

Can anyone comment on whether I'll have a decent shot at getting into this program?

I have a 30 MCAT, 3.0 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA, and a well-rounded list of EC (research, volunteering, etc).

I have applied to other SMP's, but I'd really like to remain in the northern midwest if at all possible. Reasons include: RFUMS is cheaper than other programs (money is a big issue for me) and the Chicago area is close to home and my support network (my family).

Thanks in advance.

I have a 3.3gpa, 3.2sci, 27MCAT

I would think that you've got a good chance with your MCAT score to compensate for a lower gpa. You would think that SMPs would be more willing to "look past" lower gpas, because one feature of an SMP is to improve your gpa.

Good luck

I read a post on another thread about how there is a significant "grade deflation" in this program and how other med schools don't recognize how difficult it is to get all As and Bs. I think this was from the 07-08 class.
My questions are:

1. For those finishing the program this cycle, do you agree with this said grade deflation?

2. Would you still recommend applying broadly even though CMS is where most BMSers end up going?

3. Do you know of any med schools that have consistently accepted BMS students?

Any answers/opinions to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I have some questions for RFU BMS students:

- Are there BMS students who commutes to RFU? I live in Rogers Park (the northernmost neighborhood in Chicago) and am just a 5 minute walk from the Metra train that goes to the Lake Bluff station. Realistically, my daily commute would be about an hour each way door-to-door. In your opinion, given the intensity of the program, is this too much time to spend commuting to/from campus?

- If I decide to live on campus or at the Woodlands, is a car absolutely necessary (because I don't own one)?

- Finally, is there anyone in the program who is pre-dental, and if so has it helped them gain admission to D-school?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have some questions for RFU BMS students:

- Are there BMS students who commutes to RFU? I live in Rogers Park (the northernmost neighborhood in Chicago) and am just a 5 minute walk from the Metra train that goes to the Lake Bluff station. Realistically, my daily commute would be about an hour each way door-to-door. In your opinion, given the intensity of the program, is this too much time to spend commuting to/from campus?

I plan to commute. Although I live in a closer suburb and will drive so I don't have to rely on catching the trains. I think you should be fine if you commute. You can always study on the train.

- If I decide to live on campus or at the Woodlands, is a car absolutely necessary (because I don't own one)?

The Woodlands are definitely within walking distance so I don't think a car is necessary. It would more convenient during crappy weather, but not "absolutely" necessary.

- Finally, is there anyone in the program who is pre-dental, and if so has it helped them gain admission to D-school?

I'm not sure about this one, but from what I've gathered, this program is most beneficial to pre-meds because you take med school classes. However, it does say in the FAQ section of the website that this program should prepare those interested in dentistry as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hope this helps!

How long did it take before you guys to received the decision on your application? My completion email states that it usually takes between 30-90 days. That is a LONG wait.

How long did it take before you guys to received the decision on your application? My completion email states that it usually takes between 30-90 days. That is a LONG wait.

I applied early May and I received my unofficial acceptance email about 2 weeks later. I then received my offical letter acceptance and had less than two weeks (because you have 2 weeks from when the letter is dated) to decide if I wanted to give my $100 deposit to hold a spot for me.

Hope this helps.