Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am deciding between Rosalind Franklin BMS and Boston University MAMS. I have visited both and could go to either, have a gf in Michigan, so like RFUMS's location, but I also like the city life of Boston University. Boston has a better reputation after a gap year with about 90% graduates getting in, but RFUMS offers an automatic interview for Chicago Medical School without a gap year at about a 70% acceptance rate. My GPA is a 3.6, MCAT 25 and I dont want to take it again. I'm applying to D.O. and CMS if I choose RFUMS for 2009-2010. Does anyone have any advice on what school to attend. I NEED to figure this out ASAP.

I had the same choice, i responded to this in the "rate your smp" thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I can 100% confirm this. I was just in north chicago two days ago and spoke to Shannon in the admissions office. she confirmed everything said on this thread. Large CMS acceptances with no gap year. And to quote her exactly "Once you are a BMS student your GPA and MCAT are not as important". She went on to tell me that your performance in the 4 core group med courses you take throughout the year are by far the most important part of your application to CMS. I told her i had a 28 on the MCAT and was retaking it this July. She told me not to and that a 28 is a high MCAT coming from BMS. Hope this gives everyone an idea of how sweet this program is for "low GPA/MCAT" american allopathic hopefuls.

I don't know if 28 is "high" for BMSers, but it certainly isn't going to hurt you. There were plenty of people with really low mcats. I'm pretty sure the cutoff is 25 to get into the program, but other than that it can only help you. I had a 37 going in and Dean Ross (you'll get to know him next year...really cool guy) said the 37 would help me, but if you're in the BMS program they really couldn't care less about your mcat or GPA unless it helps your case. It's really about physio, MCB, biochem, and neuro. If you do well in all those classes, you're golden. It doesn't matter if you get accepted with a 2.5 undergrad gpa. If you rock those classes, you'll be fine.

Can any old timer or former BMSer comment on the number of students getting into another medical school other than CMS? Are there any non-IL schools that look favorably on graduates of this program?

I only ask because it would be nice to attend one of my state schools to save on tuition (and living) cost. However, I would be ecstatic to be a CMS student if my state schools don't give me the nod. Yes, I'm looking far into the future already. If I can maintain my mental game, I think that this next year in the BMS program should go well albeit not without hard work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I will be starting the BMS program in August and I am looking forward to meeting with other students!
I am looking for a female roommate to share a 1 bedroom apartment in the Woodlands.
The rent is $990 + $25 =$1015 and basically one person will use the living room.
Apparently the 1 bedroom apartment is SPACIOUS (living room is huge) and I really don't need to use all that space. You can check the 1 bedroom/1 bathroom floor plan at http://woodlandsongreenbay.floorplannavigator.com/

I am a 23 year-old female, and I am very studious (determined to excel in the program!). I am also easy going, clean and organized. Please PM me if you are interested!

Did someone start a facebook page for fall 2009 RF BMSers??

Does anyone know when we find out which certificate track we are in?

Has anyone been able to access their D2L or RFU email?

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of doing the Healthcare Administration and Management (HCAM) track. Could former BMSers comment on which courses they found good/bad/interesting/useful? Here's a list of HCAM options offered:
  • Healthcare Law
  • Strategic Planning
  • Financial Management
  • Healthcare Delivery Systems
  • Marketing Health Care
  • Leadership & Management
  • Practice Management
  • Risk & Quality Management
  • Health Care Informatics
  • Management Ethics
Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I’m thinking of doing the Healthcare Administration and Management (HCAM) track. Could former BMSers comment on which courses they found good/bad/interesting/useful? Here’s a list of HCAM options offered:
  • Healthcare Law
  • Strategic Planning
  • Financial Management
  • Healthcare Delivery Systems
  • Marketing Health Care
  • Leadership & Management
  • Practice Management
  • Risk & Quality Management
  • Health Care Informatics
  • Management Ethics
Thanks!

Last year I took healthcare law, healthcare delivery systems, management ethics, and healthcare marketing. Healthcare law and delivery were really easy. Ethics was pretty easy but I had taken several healthcare ethics classes in college. The only one that required some extensive work was marketing (which I don't know if they still offer). It required a 20 page final paper on a marketing plan that was a pain in the butt. Otherwise, most of the classes aren't work intensive. One of my friends took the leadership class and said it was awful.

I just decided to attend RFUMS for BMS and want to know if any one is interested in a room mate. I am a 22 year old from Rochester, New York and graduated from the Michigan State University. I am studious, clean, very laid back and like to have a good time when breaks in school work permit it. I would like to live in the woodlands, because I do not plan on bringing a car. If anyone is interested let me know, if not I will be looking for an single apartment myself and if anyone knows of good places to look, please let me know. Thanks

Hey fitz, I sent you a message but i'd be interested, if you can email me at [email protected].. i also left my contact info in ur message and a little about myself!

Oy vey, looks like I will be heading to the BMS program from the West Coast :cool:, anyone still looking for a roommate?

In short: I'm 23, athletic- I love to swim, surf and play ball, but I guess I might have to change that once I'm in Chicago? , i'm studious - magna kum laude in undergrad, I don't like the verbal section of the MCAT:smuggrin:

Talk soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the BMS program last year, and I just want to let people know that this program is extremely misleading. while yest it is true that 75% of the people get in but most of those people that get are from california. They basically have the stats to get in if they were from any other state but those stats are not good enough to get into a school in Cali. Most of our class was from california something like 60%.

The process of how people from the BMS program get into CMS is also extremely secretive something akin to a guardian council deciding who they want to let in.

At this point, I am also seriously considering filing a lawsuit against the school to recoup some of the 55,000 dollars I wasted on this piece of **** program. I have already consulted with a lawyer, and he thinks I have a decent case against the school. This is because they mislead me into thinking there was a tacit agreement that they would let most of the class into the medical school.

I think you guys should go to a more reputable program like Gtown or Boston. This program is not eveen sanctioned by the aamc. its not listed in their recommended postbac/masters program on their website.

Last edited:
Can anyone out there confirm / refute these claim?

I was in the BMS program last year, and I just want to let people know that this program is extremely misleading. while yest it is true that 75% of the people get in but most of those people that get are from california. They basically have the stats to get in if they were from any other state but those stats are not good enough to get into a school in Cali. Most of our class was from california something like 60%.

I was from illinois and school didn't give a **** about me. I'm really bitter about this school being in my state. It might as well should move to California if it chooses to accept most of its class from cali. The process of how people from the BMS program get into CMS is also extremely secretive something akin to a guardian council deciding who they want to let in.

At this point, I am also seriously considering filing a lawsuit against the school to recoup some of the 55,000 dollars I wasted on this piece of **** program. I have already consulted with a lawyer, and he thinks I have a decent case against the school. This is because they mislead me into thinking there was a tacit agreement that they would let most of the class into the medical school.

I think you guys should go to a more reputable program like Gtown or Boston. This program is not eveen sanctioned by the aamc. its not listed in their recommended postbac/masters program on their website.

I was from illinois and school didn't give a **** about me. I'm really bitter about this school being in my state. It might as well should move to California if it chooses to accept most of its class from cali. The process of how people from the BMS program get into CMS is also extremely secretive something akin to a guardian council deciding who they want to let in.

Hey John,

Your post is very concerning. Can you please elaborate on your experience and post your stats please (MCAT, ugGPA, and most importantly your GPA in the BMS program, specifically in the 4 core med school courses).

To DscDn,

I spoke to Shannon on the CMS admissions board in person two weeks ago and she told me that ugGPA and MCAT score are weighed much less in comparison to how you do in the program. She said specifically "get A's and B's in the program and you will be fine". When i asked her about the number of BMSers that matriculate through to CMS, she confirmed everything that has been written on this thread.

I have PM'd some past BMSers who have posted in this forum asking them about their stats and from what they've told me there is NO WAY they could have gotten in medical school anywhere without this program. (I'm talking about sub 25 MCAT scores).

What i have concluded is that you HAVE to come to this program ready to study 40+ hrs a week. If you get any C's you will not get into CMS. If you dont average over a 3.2 gpa you will not get into CMS. So maybe John didnt meet this criteria?

My ugrad stats were not good enough to get me into medical school. They were pretty ****ty.

this is what i got in the program:

MCB: B
Med Phys: B
embryo: C
Med Neuroscience: A
Med Biochem: A

A's in all those other bull**** nonmedical school classes

getting an A is extremely difficult in medical school classes. You pretty much have to know every single word in the notes that they give you.
they can ask you anything that was in the notes. Their whole goal is to just screw with you. The exams are ruthless. They are also sometimes wrought with problems. Usually 3-5 questions get thrown out. That can be good or bad.

The program is NOT a gurantee. Beware. They mislead you into thinking that if you perform well. you'll get in.

As i mentioned in the above posts, I am seriously considering pursuing a lawsuit to recoup some of that tuition money because the program is a fraud. If you don't get in, you are pretty much ****ed because program is so grade deflated. Getting a C is an accomplishment in any of these medical school classes. In fact, you will **** up whatever ****ty gpa you have from ugrad if you don't do well in the program.

Last edited:
I understand that there is a lot of anger in my posts but I am extremely bitter at the school for ****ing my life over so its up to you guys to listen to what i have to say and decide if you want to do the program or not.

My ugrad stats were not good enough to get me into medical school. They were pretty ****ty.

this is what i got in the program:

MCB: B
Med Phys: B
embryo: C
Med Neuroscience: A
Med Biochem: A

A's in all those other bull**** nonmedical school classes

getting an A is extremely difficult in medical school classes. You pretty much have to know every single word in the notes that they give you.
they can ask you anything that was in the notes. Their whole goal is to just screw with you. The exams are ruthless. They are also sometimes wrought with problems. Usually 3-5 questions get thrown out. That can be good or bad.

The program is NOT a gurantee. Beware. They mislead you into thinking that if you perform well. you'll get in.

As i mentioned in the above posts, I am seriously considering pursuing a lawsuit to recoup some of that tuition money because the program is a fraud. If you don't get in, you are pretty much ****ed because program is so grade deflated. Getting a C is an accomplishment in any of these medical school classes. In fact, you will **** up whatever ****ty gpa you have from ugrad if you don't do well in the program.

Holy crap i am having some serious second thoughts now.... and im about to sign a lease at the woodlands! can any other BMSers please comment on what John has said?

Holy crap i am having some serious second thoughts now.... and im about to sign a lease at the woodlands! can any other BMSers please comment on what John has said?

Settle down guys. And, John, if you seriously think your lawyer is going to recoup some of your tuition money I think you'll be a little more pissed when you find yourself stuck with another 20K in lawyers' fees. It's a medical school, dude, and if you interviewed anywhere else you'd find that they're ALL secretive about what it takes to get in.

There is no "guarantee". When they say 75% of the people get in, obviously that means that a quarter don't. **** happens. And as far as the cali thing, that's a load of crap. Me and my buddy were both from Illinois and we got in. If you're complaining about so many cali people getting in, you obviously weren't there on the first day of class. Half the goddamn class WAS from cali, so of course the percentage of them getting in will be inflated. Where did you go to undergrad? How did you interview go? How were your recs?

Last edited:
I am a bit concerned myself, but let me remind everyone that this is SDN. John may or may not even exist (of course, this applies to all the other folks rooting for the program).

After calculating what John's GPA is for the core medical school courses, his post is definitely reasonable. With a 3.24 GPA in the core medical school courses, he can't really expected a guaranteed acceptance into CMS. I know that there have been students who go into CMS with a sub 3.0 GPA in the program. In fact, Whitney from the Admissions Office said that their GPA range for students accepted into CMS was from 2.4 (or was it 1.4?, I just remember thinking "what the funk? seriously?") to 4.0. Maybe John was lacking in another area, namely EC's and MCAT?

Regardless, I think everyone going into this program should already know that this program will definitely NOT be a walk in the park. It will be no different from any other SMP including GTown, Drexel, Boston U, Tufts, etc. It will be the greatest challenge we will have to overcome at this point and is not to be taken lightly.

Still, I would like to hear some response from other former BSMers.

edit: Thanks, msk86, for the response.

Last edited:
John, do you mind disclosing your MCAT either in this thread or sharing privately with me via PM?

Does anyone know why they extended the deadline for applying to this program from June 15th to the 30th? I'm assuming because the class wasn't filled.....but I guess I was curious whether they actually reject applicants from this program or do they accept everyone?

Does anyone know why they extended the deadline for applying to this program from June 15th to the 30th? I'm assuming because the class wasn't filled.....but I guess I was curious whether they actually reject applicants from this program or do they accept everyone?

You should probably call the program director for a straight answer. We can only speculate.

msk86:

You should read my whole ****ing post. I said SOME of my money. *******

And, this program is no walk in the park. Trust me guys, I did research for two years, had all the necessary ECs, etc. It is a completely random process how some of these mother****ers got in with a 21 on their mcat

BTW i had a 31 on my MCATs. My interviews went extremely well.

So its up to you guys to decide if you want to go here. I HIGHLY recommend against going here. If you can go to Boston, Gtown that have are more reputable than this program.

I spoke with Whitney earlier this week. She said that the class is pretty much full at the moment with about 120 people already accepted. Right now they are reviewing the waitlist and waiting to see who out of the 120 will keep or decline their acceptance. I also asked how many waitlisters get moved to the accepted column. That answer depends on how many they want in their class this year. In the past they've had up to 200 students, so she hinted that a good deal of the waitlisters can be accepted if that's the case. I'm guessing this is probably why they extended their deadline to June 30 this year.

msk86:

You should read my whole ****ing post. I said SOME of my money. *******

And, this program is no walk in the park. Trust me guys, I did research for two years, had all the necessary ECs, etc. It is a completely random process how some of these mother****ers got in with a 21 on their mcat

BTW i had a 31 on my MCATs. My interviews went extremely well.

So its up to you guys to decide if you want to go here. I HIGHLY recommend against going here. If you can go to Boston, Gtown that have are more reputable than this program.

Did you try contacting the school and asking them what specific factors led them to make the decision to reject you? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt..

I want to let you guys know that I am gonna stop posting/defending my posts. I have given you my side of the story in these posts. All of the anger that I have been suppressing since Jun 10th has just boiled up and I have punched a few holes in my parents home. I don't want to get kicked out of here. At this point I really don't know what to do, I am so angry with myself, with the school. I thought I gave it my best in the program but it has completely destroyed me financially, and emotionally. I can't even get myself to study for the MCATs that I have to take again because my scores are about to expire.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, John. Best wishes in seeking admission to medical school.

For everyone else, just be reminded that John may be one anomaly of the handful of positive outcomes as seen in this thread. More importantly, GTown and Boston U have their fair share of anomalies as well. I chose RFU because my chances are a lot better there and it's close to home. Hope to meet you all come orientation week.

The truth is there is no guarantee anywhere.. we are talking about a medical school here, so even though the BMS program will be a big booster, it surely isn't a walkway into medical school. John is probably a really smart kid, i'm sure.. **** happens though, and sometimes things don't work out.. i have yet to take the core med courses, which i'm sure are extremely tough, but a C is probably not gonna get you in the med school. For those of you in my shoes, lets hope that we can nail this core and get a high gpa. If we're at at 3.5+ i don't see anyway possible that CMS wouldn't consider us.. after all i've heard that the average for medical students is about a 3.0.. if we maintain a gpa higher than that, it says a lot. I wouldn't stress out too much, not yet at least.. i believe we'll encounter enough stress once we're working our butts off a few months from now! Good luck to all, and hopefully i'll get to meet all you guys at RFU!
-ravi

Great, right after I commit to this program over BU I get to read about it being a fraud. Is anyone who is going to this program this fall as freaked out as I am now?

I'll just make one last post and that'll be the end of it. The statistic 75% is completely false. That does NOT include the 20 people that dropped out after second quarter

fitz86, you will have a PM shortly. It should alleviate your concerns.

I'll just make one last post and that'll be the end of it. The statistic 75% is completely false. That does NOT include the 20 people that dropped out after second quarter

They've never given the stats like that. They always say "xx% of those who graduate are accepted into CMS."

So, you are right that their stats don't include those who drop out, but they always made that very clear. Besides, how can those who drop out even expect to be accepted at CMS? Isn't that pretty much the very last nail on the coffin?

Anyway, from what I've gathered (from former BMSers and Admissions Office staff), typically only 70% of the class actually finish the BMS program. Reasons for dropping out may include anything from personal reasons (family, relationship, medical, etc) to not needing to finish the program anymore because they got accepted to medical school elsewhere (possibly their top choice???) while still in the program. Not to be overlooked, I'm pretty sure the level of difficulty or work load caused some students to drop out as well.

Wow. So much activity in this thread the last couple of days. Thanks for all the "interesting"info.

I am still excited to start the BMS program next month and I just filled out the Criminal Background Check. For those of you who have already completed it, did you also charge "a maximum of $125" to your credit card? I'm assuming they're only going to charge the $45 Whitney had told us, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't spend an extra $80.

She said the cost would vary state to state. I'm from Missouri and mine cost $78

I was wondering if anyone from the 2007-2008 or 2008-2009 BMS class who was accepted to the MD program can tell me how many people from your class were accepted into the program (numbers not percentages)? Also do you know whether those rejected after BMS were accepted into another medical program be it MD or DO? Finally, if you had been accepted to a D.O. program at the same time you were accepted to the BMS program, would you still have done the BMS program?

I currently live in Illinois and have very compelling reasons to stay in the state. My issue, therefore, is not an issue of D.O. vs. M.D., but rather location. The D.O. schools I was accepted to are significantly out-of-state...so I am trying to determine if the BMS program is worth the gamble (i.e. giving up a sure thing for an uncertainty). If anyone has an opinion (good or bad) please let me know. Thanks in advance.

(I also posted this on "2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread", in case you were curious about the responses. Starts with post #868.)

She said the cost would vary state to state. I'm from Missouri and mine cost $78

My online banking statement shows $125 pending. I hope it will cost closer to the $40 originally estimated by Whitney. I'm from Wisconsin, btw.

After I am done suing the pants off of RFUMS, there won't be much of a med school left. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
Md333,

Personally, if I was offered a seat at a DO program, I would just take it. However, I don't have compelling reasons to stay in my home state. If your reasons are significant enough for you to decline the offers, your only other option is to apply early and hope to get into CCOM and other IL schools. However, I would think that you would be blacklisted at DO programs if you decline some offers this cycle and it could hurt your chances of getting into CCOM or other DO programs if you apply for a fall 2010 entrance. This would probably depend on your reason of needing to stay in IL.

Something important to note. You are risking losing a 100% chance of attending medical school at ___ (although out-of-state) for xx% chance succeeding in the RFU BMS program and xx% chance of getting into CMS. I, personally, would just take the win and attend the out-of-state school.

After I am done suing the pants off of RFUMS, there won't be much of a med school left. :smuggrin:

Why are you suing the school again? Because you failed to get into CMS? *note: no sarcasm here. I'm serious.

Why are you suing the school again? Because you failed to get into CMS? *note: no sarcasm here. I'm serious.

Considering there's nothing in writing concerning what it takes to get into CMS from the BMS program, this kid is blowing smoke up your ass. There's no legal action you could possibly take against the school for not getting in. Had this been ~5 years ago that would have been a different story, but there are no criteria anymore. Yeah, some professor probably told him if you get A, B, and C you'll get in, but I'm sure that's not the whole story.

To those of you enrolled in the program and others considering, don't let one guy determine whether or not you go. By all means, I'm absolutely biased considering I got in. Make sure you talk to a bunch of people and read the entire thread to see the other BMSers' comments.

Md333,

Personally, if I was offered a seat at a DO program, I would just take it. However, I don't have compelling reasons to stay in my home state. If your reasons are significant enough for you to decline the offers, your only other option is to apply early and hope to get into CCOM and other IL schools. However, I would think that you would be blacklisted at DO programs if you decline some offers this cycle and it could hurt your chances of getting into CCOM or other DO programs if you apply for a fall 2010 entrance. This would probably depend on your reason of needing to stay in IL.

Something important to note. You are risking losing a 100% chance of attending medical school at ___ (although out-of-state) for xx% chance succeeding in the RFU BMS program and xx% chance of getting into CMS. I, personally, would just take the win and attend the out-of-state school.

I appreciate the advice. It is really difficult to discuss this decision with other people who haven't gone through the process (family, friends, etc.) because they simply don't understand what I'm talking about. I applied to the RFU BMS program to give myself another option to stay in the state, but the uncertainty of whether I will be accepted into CMS or CCOM or any other IL program next year really weighs heavily on me. I do have legitimate reasons for staying in IL, but I don't want to blow my opportunity to go to med school this Fall by staying. I guess I'm just trying to put the whole thing in perspective, and it helps to know what others would do in a similar situation.

??
On another note, I have yet to be accepted, rejected or waitlisted...Hopefully tomorrow they tell me something, even it's bad news. I'm 90% sure I didn't get in, considering all the acceptances have been sent out...Maybe they're waiting to see who accepts the offer before they reject people? Anyone else in a similar position? I'd love to go, but I'd also like to know what my status is.

??
On another note, I have yet to be accepted, rejected or waitlisted...Hopefully tomorrow they tell me something, even it's bad news. I'm 90% sure I didn't get in, considering all the acceptances have been sent out...Maybe they're waiting to see who accepts the offer before they reject people? Anyone else in a similar position? I'd love to go, but I'd also like to know what my status is.

Just call them bro. I called and asked what the deal was and they sent me an acceptance the next business day.

Just call them bro. I called and asked what the deal was and they sent me an acceptance the next business day.

I call them about three times a week. I always get Whitney's machine, and she responds a week later telling me that no decision has been made... I know my application underwent a second screening three weeks ago, I don't think this points to an acceptance... Who are you calling?

Hi everyone,

I have a cousin that went to RFUMS and was accepted into their school. He spoke well enough of the school. John is not going to sue the school. No lawyer would take up such an idiotic case. My cousin is currently in Houston doing his fellowship. I think its in peds nephrology. I know he did his residency in pediatrics. But whoever applies should realize that Rosalind Franklin is one of the most expensive med schools there is. This means that you can't just work hard and hope it pays off. Fifty five thousand dollars is a lot to just hope things work out. These are med school classes. They are no joke. You have to work for more than just studying the material. John was right that you have to know the material inside and out. I mean, this program is here to see if subpar students are fit to go to their medical school. And we all know that we're subpar in one way or another. If we weren't, we would have been in med school directly. And they are only going to reserve so many seats for those of us that didn't do so well in undergrad as opposed to for those that were stellar candidates from the start.

As for myself, I was impatient and chose to go caribbean to Ross University. I am among the subpar undergraduate students, for which reason I'm in the caribbean. I know that it is tough to do well in these med classes. I also know that some of these students that couldn't get in to a US school are immensely more intelligent than a majority that did get in to a US school. I realize that that is a big claim and I'm not boasting about the school, but about the students. This just goes to show that some of us subpar students are more than deserving. But we do have to prove ourselves. We can't go through undergrad being subpar and then show up in med school classes hoping that doing as well as an average med student is ok. If like me, you're fighting a stigma and have to work hard because of that. If like some of you, you're proving that you are more than capable of excelling in their program.

Hopefully I helped. I know I said some vague things, but oh well. Enjoy!!!

JP

I call them about three times a week. I always get Whitney's machine, and she responds a week later telling me that no decision has been made... I know my application underwent a second screening three weeks ago, I don't think this points to an acceptance... Who are you calling?

I called Gordon Pullen, the director of BMS. His Phone number: (847) 578-8603. Also the link to the contact page: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/chp/home/CHP/IHS/Biomed/Contact/tabid/1768/Default.aspx