Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

Started by clhc18
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dearscience,

i'm guessing he retook the exam?
any idea what he got the second time

He didn't retake it, but he did have a 3.6 GPA. Point being, once you get into the BMS program, they somewhat disregard your GPA and MCAT. It's all about the BMS GPA from what I hear.
 
they somewhat disregard your GPA and MCAT. It's all about the BMS GPA from what I hear.


-I've heard that too from former BMS students and this/last year's forum - but on their website it says the BMS program has no affiliation with any other program at RFU (i.e. CMS)

-so I think we should take the "disregarding of GPA/MCAT" with a grain of salt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-

-so I think we should take the "disregarding of GPA/MCAT" with a grain of salt.

That's the way I interpreted their decision-making just because someone with a 3.6 GPA and a 22 MCAT was accepted into the BMS program and was eventually accepted into CMS.
 
Gatewasani,
my first time taking the exam i really didn't study the right way. I just did content review and one or 2 practice exams and i never worked on verbal because i hated it lol. My verbal was crap again, but this time i worked at it lol. I must have a mental block against it. I used kaplan books, exam krackers, and did a few problems from the 1001 series. i think the main thing for me was being a little more comfortable the second time around. im very happy with my score because i know my verbal is piss poor and it will take alot of work to bring it up. The more practice tests you take, the better off you will be. remember it's a reasoning exam and not a straight fact exam. You will do much better the second time around!
 
Gatewasani,
my first time taking the exam i really didn't study the right way. I just did content review and one or 2 practice exams and i never worked on verbal because i hated it lol. My verbal was crap again, but this time i worked at it lol. I must have a mental block against it. I used kaplan books, exam krackers, and did a few problems from the 1001 series. i think the main thing for me was being a little more comfortable the second time around. im very happy with my score because i know my verbal is piss poor and it will take alot of work to bring it up. The more practice tests you take, the better off you will be. remember it's a reasoning exam and not a straight fact exam. You will do much better the second time around!

I really hope so, I feel absolutely terrible right now
 
I really hope so, I feel absolutely terrible right now

its an awful feeling, but shake it off. the past is the past. be glad to know the only thing standing in your way of a good score is yourself, so you can easily improve.

imagine if you couldn't afford the test, or find transportation or resources to get there or study... sometimes its nice to know you are solely responsible for your success.
 
ya, you know what you need to work on now. Hit it hard and take it again. I still feel like crap with my verbal score because i worked on it for months and I still can't get it. Maybe it's a mental block, i don't know. but you can bring that score up easy, just take a different approach to your studying.
 
ya, you know what you need to work on now. Hit it hard and take it again. I still feel like crap with my verbal score because i worked on it for months and I still can't get it. Maybe it's a mental block, i don't know. but you can bring that score up easy, just take a different approach to your studying.

what did you do for verbal?
I already know that I screwed up when I spend too much time on a really hard passage that I should've just skipped.

what material did you use? i'm out of verbal practice and aamc's
 
I got the EK 101 verbal passages and did about 3 a day and i also used the aamc's. I also hear that the berkley review has some good stuff, but i never got a chance to use it because i was out of time. However, my verbal was always between 7-9 on the aamc practice tests.....I don't know what to do for my verbal. I lose concentration on the passages because they are usually boring or i get caught up referring back to the passage which i hear is a no-no! Also, i have never used the princeton reviews verbals, but i heard those are pretty good as well. But i do share your pain, that section sucks for me and it's where i lost a ton of pts the first time and now this time again.
 
-I've heard that too from former BMS students

-so I think we should take the "disregarding of GPA/MCAT" with a grain of salt.

No grain of salt necessary. I personally know 2 people with under 25 MCATs that were accepted to CMS, and heard of many more. The real fact is that if you get A's in your CMS classes your MCAT means virtually nothing.

Although i can only assume your MCAT score must come into play if you are a B student in the BMS program. So once again, it really depends on your grades.
 
do they e-mail me when the application is complete?

also, does anyone know how I go about sending my mcat score to them?
do I have to print it out and mail it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey wasani, I am in the same boat as you. I retook the MCAT and scored a 22 as well. My first time was a 26. I am also struggling with verbal (my score was a 6) and running out of materials to practice from. I have heard that it is okay to use the LSAT passages and GRE passages as practice. So that is what I am going to do because I've exhausted the EK 101 and TPR Verbal Workbook already. Let me know if you hear anything other suggestions! I also would like to share with you the book I am using to really get that verbal score up - many have said it is great. I figured that I have nothing to lose.
The name of the book is: MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery: The Complete Reading Comprehension Program (How to Turn a VR Score 6 into an 11)

We can do it!!!


what did you do for verbal?
I already know that I screwed up when I spend too much time on a really hard passage that I should've just skipped.

what material did you use? i'm out of verbal practice and aamc's
 
do they e-mail me when the application is complete?

also, does anyone know how I go about sending my mcat score to them?
do I have to print it out and mail it?

Yes, you will get an e-mail saying your application is complete and that it will undergo review by the Biomedical Sciences Admissions Committee.

As for sending MCAT score, I am not sure because I applied with GRE. I know that other BMS programs accept print out with verification code. You might even be able to just send email with your AAMC ID and Verification code (that's what I did for one of the program)
 
Hey wasani, I am in the same boat as you. I retook the MCAT and scored a 22 as well. My first time was a 26. I am also struggling with verbal (my score was a 6) and running out of materials to practice from. I have heard that it is okay to use the LSAT passages and GRE passages as practice. So that is what I am going to do because I've exhausted the EK 101 and TPR Verbal Workbook already. Let me know if you hear anything other suggestions! I also would like to share with you the book I am using to really get that verbal score up - many have said it is great. I figured that I have nothing to lose.
The name of the book is: MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery: The Complete Reading Comprehension Program (How to Turn a VR Score 6 into an 11)

We can do it!!!

yea, i got a 6 too...couldn't believe it...absolutely crushed, I thought my verbal score would be the best of all the sections. I'm gonna ignore the princeton review strategy since that didnt work for me and use EK.
 
Gatewasani, you go to the THx reporting where you saw your grade and there should be a button where you print your mcat score. It will be official because it has a verification code on it or something. Do the best you can at verbal and maximize your strengths in the sciences. I have aslo read that your writing sample will be looked at more especially when you have a low verbal score, so make sure to work at that as well (let them know you aren't totally illiterate! lol) Remember my verbal is only a 7, but i scored a Q in writing (which isn't the best but better than 7 lol). Also, there is more to an app than the mcat, so do work son!! (or sis, haha)
 
For those that were accepted...

did you receive the form for certificate track selection? apparently they didn't include it in my acceptance package and they also had the wrong mailing address on file (somehow i still got my acceptnace package)

n e ways I had to ask them to e-mail me one to mail back.

It looks like they cut out the clinical bioanalysis track for next year so everything is online..(cost cutting move??)

Good luck to the rest of the applicants.

I've talked to some other former BMSers and basically what I've concluded is that this program is tough and will require tons of hard work. But in the end, it is a great opportunity/chance that will reward those that tough it out and work hard to get those Bs and As.
 
Last edited:
I just found out that i'm not gonna get the third letter I was waiting on for a couple of months...


What do I freaking do now????????
 
sammii, I also didn't receice a track paper in my packet. I just typed out what track i wanted to be in (i didn't know if they forgot or what, so i thought i would let them know so i didn't get screwed in the long run).
 
sammii, I also didn't receice a track paper in my packet. I just typed out what track i wanted to be in (i didn't know if they forgot or what, so i thought i would let them know so i didn't get screwed in the long run).


Yeah I think they screwed up something for a lack of a better word, with the first round of acceptances.


I phoned CHP admissions, Melissa I believe and she sent me an e-mail that was supposed to be included with our acceptance package. We were supposed to check off which certificate track program we prefered and mail that sheet along with our deposit.

On the sheet it says that what you checked off in your original application sent will not be considered only this sheet...and also that it should be mailed with the envelope provided...so that means we were supposed to get this sheet but perhaps they forgot to include it.
 
Ok, so I sent in my application and everything. How long does it take for them to send an email saying they got everything? If I checked right...they should have everything right now except my 'final' grades transcripts which I will send right away once they are given. I'm so nervous. Two of my friends got in to it. One that had crazy stats and the other with lower stats than mine...although they applied a month earlier than me...
 
Ok, so I sent in my application and everything. How long does it take for them to send an email saying they got everything? If I checked right...they should have everything right now except my 'final' grades transcripts which I will send right away once they are given. I'm so nervous. Two of my friends got in to it. One that had crazy stats and the other with lower stats than mine...although they applied a month earlier than me...

what are ur stats?
 
It took me about a week to get a completion e-mail then about 3 months for accpetance. The wait should be shorter as the deadline is almost here..

And to gatewasani..do you have any back-up plans because if you have problems with both your MCAT and GPA and you are applying late in the cycle...I would have some back-up plans in case nothing works out to figure out how you can improve your GPA and MCAT.
 
It took me about a week to get a completion e-mail then about 3 months for accpetance. The wait should be shorter as the deadline is almost here..

And to gatewasani..do you have any back-up plans because if you have problems with both your MCAT and GPA and you are applying late in the cycle...I would have some back-up plans in case nothing works out to figure out how you can improve your GPA and MCAT.

yea I have one, but I haven't been accepted to that yet either, so we'll see
 
I just got my housing email from Christina. I got a one bedroom contract. How are the apartments on campus?
 
I just got my housing email from Christina. I got a one bedroom contract. How are the apartments on campus?




This is from a previous post..

I found a youtube video about Rosaldin Franklin's residence


The rest of the video is mostly about Scholl students (podiatry school at Rosalind Franklin) but RFU's residence is at about the 12:16 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAf3xhqsZI

They just don't include any furniture at all - just the fridge and cooking stuff and closets - no desks, chairs, beds..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I am planning to attend the BMS this fall and I am wondering when I should apply to CMS through AMCAS?

Thanks!
 
Hello Everyone,

I am attending the BMS Program as well. Any idea on how to apply for housing or look for housing?

Any idea on how to apply for financial aid?
 
You have to apply to cms this round if you want to attend after the bms program. So apply early as usual I'm assuming
 
Go to the BMS FAQ site... one of the q's is regarding financial aid, and there's a link underneath the question (click online)... it directs you to another website... look on the left side menu... one of the links is for financial aid... click on it... then click on incoming students...

the application for Financial Aid is on that site... there will be instructions, and what you need to send along with the application... make sure to fill out your FAFSA asap, if you haven't done so already, and to designate Rosalind Franklin in your FAFSA...

I believe it says the deadline to submit your financial aid application is June 11th, but I think that's to scare people into getting it filled out soon... I'm sure plenty of people will submit their application past that deadline... but try to get it done by then
 
Thank you for your help on my financial aid question.

Anyone interested in finding a place for the 2010-2011 BMS year? If yes, please pm me.

Thanks!
 
Hey guys,

I was a BMS student this year and got into CMS already. If you have any questions let me know. I'll try to answer the questions that have come up.

You can apply to CMS through AMCAS at any time before the deadline. For our school it really doesn't matter when you apply, as long as you send in all the required paperwork and secondary applications forms and fees (again, this is RFUMS only, for other schools you should still apply early). If you're applying to other schools, I recommend you start early with the AMCAS because you don't really want to do it while taking classes as a BMS student. But for the CMS secondary, you can just turn it in any time before its deadline because all the BMS students will get the same interview period anyway (Feb-March).

As for housing, go here http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/administration/home/DOSA/StudentHousing/tabid/565/Default.aspx and on the right it will have a link to the Housing Message Board so you can look for potential roommates. I live off campus about 10 minutes away in Waukegan, where the rent is really cheap. I know a lot of people live in the Woodlands or in the dorms, which is both walking distance to the school. But to be honest, I preferred cheaper rent and you don't really need to live closer as a BMS student. Also, the area around the school is kind of empty, so I recommend you have a car or a friend with a car to get around and do groceries.

I'm looking for a female roommate btw, if anyone is interested PM me 🙂 (rent $425 with free heating for your own bedroom, but you will need a car)
 
Hey guys,

I was a BMS student this year and got into CMS already. If you have any questions let me know. I'll try to answer the questions that have come up.

You can apply to CMS through AMCAS at any time before the deadline. For our school it really doesn't matter when you apply, as long as you send in all the required paperwork and secondary applications forms and fees (again, this is RFUMS only, for other schools you should still apply early). If you're applying to other schools, I recommend you start early with the AMCAS because you don't really want to do it while taking classes as a BMS student. But for the CMS secondary, you can just turn it in any time before its deadline because all the BMS students will get the same interview period anyway (Feb-March).

As for housing, go here http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/administration/home/DOSA/StudentHousing/tabid/565/Default.aspx and on the right it will have a link to the Housing Message Board so you can look for potential roommates. I live off campus about 10 minutes away in Waukegan, where the rent is really cheap. I know a lot of people live in the Woodlands or in the dorms, which is both walking distance to the school. But to be honest, I preferred cheaper rent and you don't really need to live closer as a BMS student. Also, the area around the school is kind of empty, so I recommend you have a car or a friend with a car to get around and do groceries.

I'm looking for a female roommate btw, if anyone is interested PM me 🙂 (rent $425 with free heating for your own bedroom, but you will need a car)

Thanks for all the info, I just have a couple questions
1. What were your stats coming into the program?
2. For those of us coming in, do you have any comments/recommendations about the classes?
3. Overall, how did you like the program?
 
Go to the BMS FAQ site... one of the q's is regarding financial aid, and there's a link underneath the question (click online)... it directs you to another website... look on the left side menu... one of the links is for financial aid... click on it... then click on incoming students...

the application for Financial Aid is on that site... there will be instructions, and what you need to send along with the application... make sure to fill out your FAFSA asap, if you haven't done so already, and to designate Rosalind Franklin in your FAFSA...

I believe it says the deadline to submit your financial aid application is June 11th, but I think that's to scare people into getting it filled out soon... I'm sure plenty of people will submit their application past that deadline... but try to get it done by then

Is it the application " New Borrower Application"?
It seems they only offer loans, so I am assuming there are no grants for grad school?
 
hey is anyone looking to find a room mate in the woodlands apartments?? I currently have a 2 BR/2Bath place, and am looking to pick somebody up, 650$ a month it's about a 50 second walk to campus and free parking of course. Much cheaper than the student housing on campus, and pretty much same distance to classes. I have the apartment pretty much completely furnished, couches, wall mounted 45' tv, dining table, coffee table etc...unlike the dorms or other apartments. Extra bedroom is pretty large, it is the Deluxe 2 Bedroom Floor plan. Hit me up if you are interested. Also you get the insight from someone whose been through what you are about to last year 🙂 You can check out the floorplan on this website:
http://www.woodlandsongreenbay.com/residences/index.html
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, I just have a couple questions
1. What were your stats coming into the program?
2. For those of us coming in, do you have any comments/recommendations about the classes?
3. Overall, how did you like the program?

1. I had a 3.2 undergrad gpa, 29O MCAT the second time I took it (with a 6 in verbal 🙁 ) and some EC including some community service, research and volunteering/interning in the hospital. (I am an international student so it was harder for me to get into medical school in the first place)
2. The classes are not too bad as long as you study hard for them, don't slack off, keep up with the new information, and understand what's going on. They had changed the curriculum/schedule when we came in, where we had an exam almost every 2 weeks (at the beginning of the year it was around every 3 weeks I think). I thought that was very helpful since you don't have to cram that much as when you have the midterm/final type of schedule.
3. I really liked it, not only do you get to take medical school classes with medical students, the students and faculty are all very nice, there is barely any competition, and the atmosphere at the school is great. They have a lot of different organizations that have meetings during lunchtime (with free food) and I went to a lot of specialty interest groups which made me excited to go to medical school. Taking all these classes also shows whether or not you can handle the courses and the courseload. Remember we are only taking about half the M1 course load, so if you are falling behind image your M2 year which will be 3 times as hard.
 
Current BMSers who got accepted to CMS this year, would you mind posting your gpa in the program and undergrad and MCAT scores?

Although I've heard that getting 3.5+ BMS gpa puts you in a good position for an acceptance, what about the students who have got into CMS with <3.5 BMS gpa's, did their MCAT compensate for that?
 
Last edited:
I am very proud of my fellow colleague for putting this together! This is a great synopsis of what to expect, and how to approach BMS year in order to be successful. Remember, balance is the most important thing. I can personally say that this was the most challenging year of my life (not necessarily just academically, but personally as well). Reflecting back upon this year, I have gained so much in my character and appreciate the process so much more. I will be a better physician for it, and I am grateful to such a program that gave me an opportunity to realize all this. Ultimately though, it is what you make of it! I will warn you, all medical school environments tend to be negative. Everyone is complaining about something or another...DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS! Stay away from the negativity or it will consume you! Everyone comes to school with great intentions of wanting to save lives, but somewhere along the line the negativity around you changes that focus and consumes you. I encourage you all to not partake in it and keep your environment as positive, healthy, and balanced as possible. Don't lose sight of your personal goals. Our BMS Class was great, but I heard the year before fell short so just just words of advice to keep the incoming class up to par. I dedicated time to my friends and family back home as they were my back bone all year. Please take advantage of the great resources on campus. Find an M1a you connect with and let them help you. I utilized Allegra Bollen's services on the first day of EVERY QUARTER, and she is the biggest blessing in disguise for BMS. She will sit down with you and create your schedule for you in addition to the extensive research she has done to succeed in learning the material. She creates a meticulous study schedule that was my saving grace since I tend not to be so disciplined on my own. My absolute favorite is how accessible all the professors are. They are always there to help you and always want you to be successful. I am disappointed that I haven't been as active on this thread, and would like to open myself to anyone that needs advice. "When you want something with the truest conviction, the entire Universe conspires to help you get it." Good Luck BMSers...
 
Last edited:
niner4life13,

I don't think is it necessary for you to collect the GPA's and MCAT scores of the BMSers. As many of us have mentioned in this thread and others... Your success in matriculating into CMS has a lot to do with your grades in the program. If you are accepted into BMS, it means that your GPA and MCAT score were good enough. Sit easy with that!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Woodlands Sublet starting mid June-July. Rate negotiable.

If any of the new BMSers wants to move mid June or July... Contact me! I am subleasing 1 room or 2 rooms (if you have a room mate in mind) of a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment in building 3504 (The New Phase) of The Woodlands from June 15th through July 31st. This is the closest building to the pathway to RFUMS. There are washer/dryer units on the first floor of the building. Also you can keep the unit and sign a new lease on August 1st, as I am moving to the city.
 
This is from a previous post..

I found a youtube video about Rosaldin Franklin's residence


The rest of the video is mostly about Scholl students (podiatry school at Rosalind Franklin) but RFU's residence is at about the 12:16 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAf3xhqsZI

They just don't include any furniture at all - just the fridge and cooking stuff and closets - no desks, chairs, beds..

Student Housing provides you with contact information for rental furniture. Look into this if you do not want to lug around furniture during your BMS year.

The student housing is good for a few reasons. 1.) You get a lease for the academic term so you are not stuck trying to sublease the place over the following summer when most of you would want to be going home. The Woodlands may be cheaper, but you are stuck into a 12 month lease. 2.) It is updated and a great apartment. The amenities are great.

The only bad thing about student housing is that the walls are very thin!!! You can hear everything. I could hear my neighbors singing, watching TV, talking... this is a nuisance if you plan on studying at your place. If not, than it is a great place to live. There are cameras on the first floor so the school can technically see everything if they want to. If you are not on the 1st floor than NO WORRIES!
 
niner4life13,

If you are accepted into BMS, it means that your GPA and MCAT score were good enough. Sit easy with that!


To CMS2014.....I've heard this from former BMSers as well...but on the RFUMS website it says that as a BMS student it should give you no advantage to getting into CMS with the exception of the interview ....in other words being in BMS is independent of any other school at RFU.

I called RFU about this GPA/MCAT business and they said that CMS loves BMS students and you get an interview....but other than that it should not give you a clear cut advantage.
 
Also the furniture rental that the school provides is a joke in terms of cost....with the cost of the furniture rental you could easily just buy your own furniture and still save tons of money.

I believe it was in the neighbourhood of $200+ a month for like basic student package - chair, desk, bed, etc.

For 10 months thats around 2000....I'm just going to buy my own furniture..what a joke..
 
To CMS2014.....I've heard this from former BMSers as well...but on the RFUMS website it says that as a BMS student it should give you no advantage to getting into CMS with the exception of the interview ....in other words being in BMS is independent of any other school at RFU.

I called RFU about this GPA/MCAT business and they said that CMS loves BMS students and you get an interview....but other than that it should not give you a clear cut advantage.


Sammiii26 -

It's not about having "an advantage", it's about proving your abilities from something other than your original med school app.

Your acceptance to CMS will not be based on the same criteria as those applying directly to CMS (not via the BMS program). They will be judged based on their undergrad GPAs, MCAT scores and extracurriculars. YOU will be judged based on your performance in the medical school courses during your BMS year. This is why the BMS program exists. It is for those that have a weak med school application and need to show they can handle med school.

All of this has been said several times by multiple BMS students that have been accepted to CMS. We are here to help as the year before helped us when we were at the beginning. Spring 2011, those of you that are accepted into CMS will come back to this site to help answer the questions of the next class. You will be saying the same things. Go back, read what we have posted and trust what we say. 👍