rosalind franklin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it appears that May acceptances have been sent out. congrats to those that have been accepted and good luck to us who continue to wait.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, new here...
I've heard that CMS has interviewed about 485 OOS applicants last yr. Does anyone know how many were accepted out of that number?

Bye the way, rah, rah rah! Let's go and get accepted!!!:D:D

Got my acceptance letter today!!! Interviewed in April. Anyone else get accepted recently???

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter today!!! Interviewed in April. Anyone else get accepted recently???

Hey congrats!!
Are you an in or out of stater? Would you mind sharing some of your stats?
Thanks!

Thanks! I'm from the west so OOS. Stats...prefer not to say but basically I had a rough first semester of college and then all A's after that. MCAT ~30. Lot's of shadowing, volunteering, tons of extra-currics and years of research. I interviewed at many schools across the country and can testify that it is NOT ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. Good-luck to everyone!

Anyone know what's RFU's process of sending out acceptance letters. Do they send out all acceptances at the same time each month? Or it's different in May due to movement in the waitlist (they send out weekly offers)?

I was accepted earlier last week and I'm really, really excited! Now I gotta figure this fin aid/ housing stuff out...

When did everyone interview? I interviewed April 21st but I am still waiting to hear....

It sounds like good news is typically a letter. What is bad news? An e-mail, letter, or phone call?

Thanks!

Hey guys, new here...
I've heard that CMS has interviewed about 485 OOS applicants last yr. Does anyone know how many were accepted out of that number?

Bye the way, rah, rah rah! Let's go and get accepted!!!:D:D

You can get this info from MSAR. Last year's says 185 matriculated out of 693 interviewed. 26.7% chance of getting in. Some med schools have increased their # of seats this year. I don't know if CMS is one of those schools.

For those who got accepted, could you guys/gals share your stats. I'm just wondering if CMS use GPA/MCAT ranking who to accept next.

You can get this info from MSAR. Last year's says 185 matriculated out of 693 interviewed. 26.7% chance of getting in. Some med schools have increased their # of seats this year. I don't know if CMS is one of those schools.

For those who got accepted, could you guys/gals share your stats. I'm just wondering if CMS use GPA/MCAT ranking who to accept next.

1) no, our class size has not increased. we're still at ~185.

2) 185 people matriculated and 693 interviewed....but like all schools, there are more acceptances offered than people who matriculate, so you probably have better than a 1/4 chance of getting in once interviewed.

3) we (i'm a current student) get ~10,000 applications every year, so the fact that you were one of <10% of that pool to get an interview should make you feel good. some people withdraw their applications after getting in somewhere they prefer more, some just throw CMS on the lengthy list of places to apply to, some really want to come here, and some are long-shots that properly wielded their passion and persistence to get their foot in the door for an interview. and some of it's just luck.

4) my best advice is to express REASONS for wanting to come here (what do you actually like about the school...do your homework, talk to students, find things that interest you, figure out how you'd fit in), and REASONS why you think you'd contribute positively to the school. I mean you can really see why they look for the people who were active and leaders and experienced and altruistic during college....concentrate a bunch of those together, and you've got a pretty talented and diverse group of student group leaders, class leaders, strong students, good presenters, experienced researchers, and above all, passionate people. they want to know you're passionate about medicine, mature about your role as a member of a medical student body, and able to contribute more to the school than just tossing up a good GPA or board score. on the other hand, they also need people who will pass their classes (and ideally, excel) and keep their step 1 average up, just like every school, so of course they value GPA & MCAT, can't blame 'em for that. they probably realize it's one of many schools you might know very little about as a premed student, but just show them you know what you're trying to sign up for. just my 2 cents.

CMS is the only school I've been accepted to that uses letter grades. Do you just need a C or better to pass??? Is there tons of competition? Also, anyone know anything about how to find a roommate that is also an incoming M1 or looking for one?

Members don't see this ad :)
C or better to pass.
Typically no curve, so people help each other out.

keep in mind that there is a difference between "matriculated" and "accepted".

1) no, our class size has not increased. we're still at ~185.

2) 185 people matriculated and 693 interviewed....

3) we (i'm a current student) get ~10,000 applications every year,....

4) my best advice is to express REASONS for wanting to come here (what do you actually like about the school...do your homework, talk to students, find things that interest you, figure out how you'd fit in), and REASONS why you think you'd contribute positively to the school. I mean you can really see why they look for the people who were active and leaders and experienced and altruistic during college....concentrate a bunch of those together, and you've got a pretty talented and diverse group of student group leaders, class leaders, strong students, good presenters, experienced researchers, and above all, passionate people. they want to know you're passionate about medicine, mature about your role as a member of a medical student body, and able to contribute more to the school than just tossing up a good GPA or board score. on the other hand, they also need people who will pass their classes (and ideally, excel) and keep their step 1 average up, just like every school, so of course they value GPA & MCAT, can't blame 'em for that. they probably realize it's one of many schools you might know very little about as a premed student, but just show them you know what you're trying to sign up for. just my 2 cents.

How would you recommend hitting this point home after the interview. The interview went great, stressing all of the points above, but does RF consider post-interview letters in their consideration? Any suggestions?

BTW, great post.:D

Also, anyone know anything about how to find a roommate that is also an incoming M1 or looking for one?

RFU has a message board on their website for students either looking for roommates or looking to sublease/lease their apartments. Occasionally there are realtors? advertising. They've just updated their entire website, and the housing message board is unavailable right now, but check it often.

I got a few topics to adress

1. Out of 187 med students, ~40% are Illinois resident, 14% from California, the rest is from everywhere else (we even have one from alaska). Also we have about 10-12 international students from Canada, Europe, South Asia, Russia, etc

2. I personally found my roomate on SDN just by asking who wanted to live with me . We applied for the dorms separately with no luck and looked on Rent.com together and ended up finding a sweet deal in Waukegan 5 min north of school. Funny thing is we both got an email from the dorms accepting us after signing the lease.

3. For those who are still waiting to hear from CMS, I interviewed on april 10, got waitlisted in late May and finally got a phone call in late June. Just wait past May 15 when the list start moving (IT WILL!!!)

I got a few topics to adress

1. Out of 187 med students, ~40% are Illinois resident, 14% from California, the rest is from everywhere else (we even have one from alaska). Also we have about 10-12 international students from Canada, Europe, South Asia, Russia, etc

2. I personally found my roomate on SDN just by asking who wanted to live with me . We applied for the dorms separately with no luck and looked on Rent.com together and ended up finding a sweet deal in Waukegan 5 min north of school. Funny thing is we both got an email from the dorms accepting us after signing the lease.

3. For those who are still waiting to hear from CMS, I interviewed on april 10, got waitlisted in late May and finally got a phone call in late June. Just wait past May 15 when the list start moving (IT WILL!!!)

How do they let you know if you're waitlisted? Do they email you or by snail mail. Do they tell you what is your position in the wait list.

I interviewed in April 14. Would it be too late to write a letter of interest. (Intent actually since this is the only school I interviewed in). I don't want to sound desperate and make it seem like the only reason why I want to go there is because it's my only chance.

I've been conflicted as of late, as to how I should feel about my attending RFU next year. Reading through SDN I've come across comparisons, rants, arguments and flame wars as to how RFU is viewed in the greater medical community. For the most part it has been less than stellar, although not entirely. I would be a liar if I said that this has not affected my opinion of the school, and for the past couple of days I have been in panic mode about how I will be viewed as an RFU doctor. But then it sort of all came together... I will be an RFU doctor, and a good one at that. I remember how comfortable I felt on interview day, and how impressive the facilities and faculty were. I remember thinking right then and there that this would be a good school for me, and I've sort of allowed that to escape me over all the needless bickering. I started this agonizing process hoping to get into medical school, and when I finally had that letter in my hand, I let the opinions on this board make that less special. That is my fault, and it is a mistake I won't make again. I hope some of you will avoid doing the same. I guess this rant is more for me than for anyone else, but I hope that it isn't completely useless in the grand scheme of things. I'll be going to RFU next year, and I couldn't be more excited.

/end rant

I've been conflicted as of late, as to how I should feel about my attending RFU next year. Reading through SDN I've come across comparisons, rants, arguments and flame wars as to how RFU is viewed in the greater medical community. For the most part it has been less than stellar, although not entirely. I would be a liar if I said that this has not affected my opinion of the school, and for the past couple of days I have been in panic mode about how I will be viewed as an RFU doctor. But then it sort of all came together... I will be an RFU doctor, and a good one at that. I remember how comfortable I felt on interview day, and how impressive the facilities and faculty were. I remember thinking right then and there that this would be a good school for me, and I've sort of allowed that to escape me over all the needless bickering. I started this agonizing process hoping to get into medical school, and when I finally had that letter in my hand, I let the opinions on this board make that less special. That is my fault, and it is a mistake I won't make again. I hope some of you will avoid doing the same. I guess this rant is more for me than for anyone else, but I hope that it isn't completely useless in the grand scheme of things. I'll be going to RFU next year, and I couldn't be more excited.

/end rant

i really felt the same way after interviewing here. i loved the place, but I'm the kinda guy that likes name recognition, so that bothered me. but now that im here, im much more comfortable with my decision.

How would you recommend hitting this point home after the interview. The interview went great, stressing all of the points above, but does RF consider post-interview letters in their consideration? Any suggestions?

BTW, great post.:D

I think they do. I mean they want to accept people who will accept their offer, you know? They don't want to have to go too deep into the waitlist (which sometimes they do), I'm betting, so I think a letter of interest with specific reasons for wanting to come here or better yet a letter of intent, you've probably got a great shot. I'm guessing if you've got a 3.5/30, had a good interview, and said some strong stuff in your application(s), you've got a good shot to get in eventually. I think they give out a student contact sheet during the interview...call them up or email some students and ask questions. i think they can probably tell the difference between the no doubt countless letters of "I really want to come here because I believe in a life in discovery blah blah blah" and a sincere breakdown of what you've found out about the school through your own interest and commitment to knowing what you're getting into, and how it fits with what you want to be as a med student, as a doctor, as a future CMS graduate.

when you do get in, my best advice is never ever ever forget how bad you want to be in med school, how bad you want to be a doctor, and why that is (presumably, because you feel like you belong heart and soul). that is by far the best thing you've got going for you in this crazy game. the drive to get what you want. the drive to get results. it's no different getting into med school than doing well in med school, getting an A in a hard class, getting a good board score, getting a good residency...it never ends. it's all a reflection of how bad you want to get results, and it's not going to be easy from here on out it's going to be ****in hard and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. you have to accept that and make it work anyway through surprising yourself with what you pulled off. hopefully by now you've all had a few cold hard stares into the mirror when your life is up in the air and you really question "what the hell am I doing" and "jesus do I have the stomach for this". you'll do that a lot for the next few years, believe me. don't worry, the answer's always yes, i doubt any of you who had the stones to get this far will end up thinking "screw this". but it's hard to make it work once you're in. the whole getting in thing no different. consider this the first time you had to "make it work" anyway in spite of it all. that, my friend, is going to serve you well.

but man, is it ever worth it. oh yes, it's worth it.

edit: I don't think I answered your question. what was it? yeah send a LOI.

/end rant

good post. welcome aboard buddy. i hope we do each other proud.

/end rant

I kinda felt the same way when I got accepted too. BUT, I went to college 10 mins south of CMS in Lake Forest and have always interacted with the faculty, students, etc. there over the years and it was GREAT. A US med school is top-notch, and the opportunity to rotate through inner-city hospitals (i.e. Cook County) is a huge plus for me. I was also sold on the community because I live in it right now. If you go into Lake Bluff or Lake Forest, they are some of the wealthiest and nicest areas of the entire country. I have a huge beach I can walk to from my apartment, and the train to the city is across the streest! Forget those people that say bad things about CMS, getting into a US med school is a huge achievement and 10,000 people applied for your spot. Most of them probably are still fantasizing that they will get into so many med schools that CMS is just a last resort...and then get into none. Lastly, if you do some investigating into some other schools you will find that many have lost their accredation at times and had scandals such as the Univ. of Colorado.

when you do get in, my best advice is never ever ever forget how bad you want to be in med school, how bad you want to be a doctor, and why that is (presumably, because you feel like you belong heart and soul). that is by far the best thing you've got going for you in this crazy game. the drive to get what you want. the drive to get results. it's no different getting into med school than doing well in med school, getting an A in a hard class, getting a good board score, getting a good residency...it never ends. it's all a reflection of how bad you want to get results, and it's not going to be easy from here on out it's going to be ****in hard and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. you have to accept that and make it work anyway through surprising yourself with what you pulled off. hopefully by now you've all had a few cold hard stares into the mirror when your life is up in the air and you really question "what the hell am I doing" and "jesus do I have the stomach for this". you'll do that a lot for the next few years, believe me. don't worry, the answer's always yes, i doubt any of you who had the stones to get this far will end up thinking "screw this". but it's hard to make it work once you're in. the whole getting in thing no different. consider this the first time you had to "make it work" anyway in spite of it all. that, my friend, is going to serve you well.

but man, is it ever worth it. oh yes, it's worth it.

Wow. The honest truth is that I thought I was the only one who felt the way that you do, above. Too many pre-meds I have met feel that they deserve where they are-- with no realization that some people have given their lives for dedication to this profession. It would be an honor to attend medical school with individuals who have the same dedication and commitment as you.

How do they let you know if you're waitlisted? Do they email you or by snail mail. Do they tell you what is your position in the wait list.

I interviewed in April 14. Would it be too late to write a letter of interest. (Intent actually since this is the only school I interviewed in). I don't want to sound desperate and make it seem like the only reason why I want to go there is because it's my only chance.

April 14 that's hilarious ... I was the student tour guide that day... we probably met ... you know I was that crazy asian guy with a french accent

Anyways, after my interview on april 10 last year (also my only interview) I sent a personalized letter of intent to each my interviewers telling them how I appreciated the opportunity and how I enjoyed talking about whatever we talked about and how it was nice to have met them.

I received an email about a month later putting me on an unranlked wait list, then I got accepted late June (got a call at 5 AM LA time) On the first day of class, I went up to my interviewer (now professor) and asked if he remembered me ... He called me by my name and said that he really appreciated my letter. So I guess it is always worth it to send them a letter.

One more thing, they actually KNOW if you got in to another school or not.
Also just think about it : some people don't send letters of intend and the fact that you do might give you a slight edge (just my opinion)

here is the email I got last year :Dear Applicant;

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably, however the entering class of 2007 is currently full. Your application has been placed on a non-rank ordered wait list. As positions become available in the entering class of 2007, your application will be re-evaluated by the committee. In past years, approximately 15% of applicants in the wait list matriculated.

You will be notified via phone if your status changes. Please be aware that applicants on the wait list may receive notice of status changes through the first day of orientation (August 8, 2007).

Please notify the Admissions Office if you wish to remove your application from consideration. Thank you for your patience throughout this admissions process.

Sincerely,

The CMS Admissions Office

April 14 that's hilarious ... I was the student tour guide that day... we probably met ... you know I was that crazy asian guy with a french accent

Anyways, after my interview on april 10 last year (also my only interview) I sent a personalized letter of intent to each my interviewers telling them how I appreciated the opportunity and how I enjoyed talking about whatever we talked about and how it was nice to have met them.

I received an email about a month later putting me on an unranlked wait list, then I got accepted late June (got a call at 5 AM LA time) On the first day of class, I went up to my interviewer (now professor) and asked if he remembered me ... He called me by my name and said that he really appreciated my letter. So I guess it is always worth it to send them a letter.

One more thing, they actually KNOW if you got in to another school or not.
Also just think about it : some people don't send letters of intend and the fact that you do might give you a slight edge (just my opinion)

here is the email I got last year :Dear Applicant;

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application favorably, however the entering class of 2007 is currently full. Your application has been placed on a non-rank ordered wait list. As positions become available in the entering class of 2007, your application will be re-evaluated by the committee. In past years, approximately 15% of applicants in the wait list matriculated.

You will be notified via phone if your status changes. Please be aware that applicants on the wait list may receive notice of status changes through the first day of orientation (August 8, 2007).

Please notify the Admissions Office if you wish to remove your application from consideration. Thank you for your patience throughout this admissions process.

Sincerely,

The CMS Admissions Office

I interviewed in November and haven't head anything at all from RFU since then. Will they begin to reject interviewed applicants soon? This month?

Any of the current CMS students know if you can work with a preceptor during M1? My acceptance letter says there is early clinical experience but at other schools i may go to there is course work that has to be completed at a doctors office once a week. Also, I'm really split between CMS and some other places so besides the good residency placement and board scores why should I go there? Do you like your rotations? Thanks.

Hi all,

Interviewed there last weekend, May 9th.

Anxiously waiting. Really anxiously waiting.

Hope I get in!!

I am anxiously waiting from an April 30th interview. Sounds like the committee meets once a month, and from posts looks like we hear around the end of the month if we are lucky.

woah!!! I do remember you scoobitu. I'm the short asian girl with a short hair cut. Well, I just hope I'll be in CMS this fall.

hi guys,

just to let ya'll know i withdrew my acceptance today. i hope one of you gets it!

I withdrew today so hopefully one of you guys gets my spot!

I've been out of town... but to let you guys know, I withdrew my acceptance as well. It's a great school, and I hope one of you gets it! Good luck!!! :)

has anyone received a waitlist notice if not acceptance?

tried calling the office but no one picked up...been waiting to hear back since late nov. hopefully we're still in the running! good luck!

I recently interviewed, but I forgot to ask about the post interview process and how it works. Am I correct that they just meet once a month and send out everything by snail mail? Do they not create a waitlist? I guess I just find it crazy that you guys interviewed in the Fall and haven't heard a word. Good luck!

I withdrew from RFU tonight. It was an extremely difficult decision for me because RFU is such a good school. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!:luck::luck::luck:

Hi guys,

I'll be an incoming student in the fall and was wondering if anybody's looking for someone to share an apt with? Please PM me, I'd really appreciate responses.

PS. and good luck to all those waiting!