Ross Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think I'll be okay if I just look over my resume and transcripts? I didn't download a copy of my application before the VMCAS website shut down, and they never sent me the pdf copy I requested. Or do you think I should try calling the VMCAS people tomorrow morning and seeing if they could shoot a pdf copy over really quick?
They didn't ask me anything I didn't know off the top of my head about my academics or experience. As long as you know which classes you struggled with and have a general idea of where/when/what your experience was is you'll be totally fine! They mostly ask about why you want to be a vet and if you will be okay living so far from home.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think I'll be okay if I just look over my resume and transcripts? I didn't download a copy of my application before the VMCAS website shut down, and they never sent me the pdf copy I requested. Or do you think I should try calling the VMCAS people tomorrow morning and seeing if they could shoot a pdf copy over really quick?

I didn't need my application at all (I had printed out but never had to refer to it). If you still have your essay I would maybe read over it and review your transcript beforehand.

I just got the call and I am officially ACCEPTED for this fall!!!! I had my interview last Thursday 3/16

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call two days ago and I am ACCEPTED! Can't wait to get to the island and meet everyone! For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take for you to receive the email about the next steps? Got the call Monday and still haven't received an email.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the call two days ago and I am ACCEPTED! Can't wait to get to the island and meet everyone! For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take for you to receive the email about the next steps? Got the call Monday and still haven't received an email.

I don't think we will get an email until next month. I got an acceptance letter in the mail about a week after my acceptance call :)

Oh okay, I was just confused because during the call my interviewer told me that I would receive an email the next day. What about information on deposits? Is it just a link on the website or what?

Is anyone committed to Ross and planning on living off campus?

I read that they are no longer offering federal loans for Ross students and we would have to get a private loan. Does anyone know if this is true?

I just put in my deposit and filled out my FAFSA form! I'm so excited to be officially going!
Hey! Just wondering how you did the deposit? Were the instructions sent to you in an email or did you just do it online on the website?

I read that they are no longer offering federal loans for Ross students and we would have to get a private loan. Does anyone know if this is true?
Where did you read that? I don't think that's true for the normal semesters, only vet prep...

Oh okay, I was just confused because during the call my interviewer told me that I would receive an email the next day. What about information on deposits? Is it just a link on the website or what?
You should be getting an email soon with a link to pay your deposit, I got an email about 3 days after my phone call!

Where did you read that? I don't think that's true for the normal semesters, only vet prep...
I read it in the DVM360 Magazine a couple months ago. :/ I keep meaning to call Ross and ask, but I work 7-5 Mon-Fri making that extremely difficult haha Ill see if they respond to me email.

It was pretty alarming when i read it!

I read it in the DVM360 Magazine a couple months ago. :/ I keep meaning to call Ross and ask, but I work 7-5 Mon-Fri making that extremely difficult haha Ill see if they respond to me email.

It was pretty alarming when i read it!
Wow if that's true then a lot of people who put their deposits in already will be really upset... the brochure they sent me in the mail said we could apply for federal loans:/ please let us know what they say!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow if that's true then a lot of people who put their deposits in already will be really upset... the brochure they sent me in the mail said we could apply for federal loans:/ please let us know what they say!
I most definitely will!

Well they want us to fill out the FAFSA so I would assume federal loans are still an option!

Hey! Just wondering how you did the deposit? Were the instructions sent to you in an email or did you just do it online on the website?
The new student coordinator sent me an email a few weeks after I was accepted that had info on the deposit and FASFA info, plus some other stuff!

FWIW I've never heard this and pretty sure all of use students currently in the middle of school relying on loans (aka 99% of us) would be ****ting a brick if they were going to suddenly be cut.

Got my acceptance call this past Wednesday!! Very excited. They told me I would receive my email by today for next steps so I'm anxiously awaiting that-- I have so many questions. My biggest being about bringing my dog with me

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the technical standards form is?

I just got the call and I am officially ACCEPTED for this fall!!!! I had my interview last Thursday 3/16
Congrats!!! I also had my interview on the 3/16. Still havent heard anything :/ should I worry?

Last edited:
Congrats!!! I also had my interview on the 3/16. Still havent heard anything :/ should I worry?
Don't worry! Since its rolling admissions it all kinda happens uniquely. When I was applying my interview was in November and I got my acceptance in mid February. Honestly, they are still working on getting through acceptances and arrangements for people to start in the spring semester, so if you haven't heard by the start of spring semester I would expect you to hear from them very soon after that!

No I wouldn't worry at all!i was surprised to already get the call because the lady who interviewed me said 4-5 weeks. Hang in there and good luck!!!

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our financial aid package? I submitted my FAFSA almost a month ago

I wouldn't expect to hear anything about that until after the spring semester has started.

I'm waiting to hear back after 3/16 interview. Does anyone know what the chances for rejection are, if you've been interviewed?

Question for current students- Do you have any advice on what we should and shouldn't bring? For example, when I went to Africa for a study abroad I brought my phone charger but didn't know I would need to bring an adapter to actually charge it -_- This may seems obvious to other people but I had never been out of the country so I didn't even know there were different types of outlets!

I'm waiting to hear back after 3/16 interview. Does anyone know what the chances for rejection are, if you've been interviewed?
I have heard that if you get an interview you are very likely to be offered at least the vet-prep program. Not for sure, just what I have read and heard from others... hope you are accepted! :)

Question for current students- Do you have any advice on what we should and shouldn't bring? For example, when I went to Africa for a study abroad I brought my phone charger but didn't know I would need to bring an adapter to actually charge it -_- This may seems obvious to other people but I had never been out of the country so I didn't even know there were different types of outlets!

I'll message you sometime tomorrow after my exam... I have lots of advice in this department but the biggest take away is - you CAN get anything you need on this island, its just that many things you will either need to buy off of other students (cheap) or else they can be very expensive to actually buy them locally.

I'll message you sometime tomorrow after my exam... I have lots of advice in this department but the biggest take away is - you CAN get anything you need on this island, its just that many things you will either need to buy off of other students (cheap) or else they can be very expensive to actually buy them locally.
Can you please message me the same information :)

Thank you :)

Have you heard from them? Im still waiting to hear :/

Would you be able to send me the information too? I would really appreciate it!

I have other questions for you or anyone else for the enrollment materials... Do we need to get a rabies vaccine? If so, do you know if previous vaccination is acceptable?
For the police certificate, does it have to be from the FBI (which takes 12-14 weeks!!) or can it be from another local police department? How did you do this?

Just because it might help others I'm gonna reply to this here too, but I did message you:
Do we need to get a rabies vaccine? If so, do you know if previous vaccination is acceptable?
No. You will either get a rabies vaccine here in 7th before going to clinics OR if you've had one before you will get a titer done to make sure you're still covered. Regardless, don't worry about this til you're in 7th, they will send out a big bulk email to take care of this stuff.

For the police certificate, does it have to be from the FBI (which takes 12-14 weeks!!) or can it be from another local police department? How did you do this?
Its not from the FBI, just from your local police department. I forget what the technical name is but I just walked in and explained what I needed (a certificate or report showing my criminal background/lack thereof). Basically I just kept explaining to the lady what I needed until she said OK and then I came back and picked it up a few days later. I wanna say the called it a letter of criminal history? Or something like that. But it was not complicated to get :)

JUST GOT ACCEPTED TODAY FOR SEPTEMBER! so excited and nervous to get on the island and begin this adventure. can anyone point me in the direction of students already attending so I can get an idea of what to bring?

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted today!!! :soexcited::soexcited::clap:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I have a question about the deposit, I wrote to my student coordinator but I havent received a response. If I pay a deposit of $500 now would my seat for the fall class is going to be secure? And if I'm not mistaken the other $500 I would have to sent it 4month before classes being so may 4?....i just want to know if I have to pay the full amount to secure my seat or I can make 2 payments and I'm going to be okay

I have a question about the deposit, I wrote to my student coordinator but I havent received a response. If I pay a deposit of $500 now would my seat for the fall class is going to be secure? And if I'm not mistaken the other $500 I would have to sent it 4month before classes being so may 4?....i just want to know if I have to pay the full amount to secure my seat or I can make 2 payments and I'm going to be okay

I emailed my coordinator with the same question and he said the full deposit is due April 17th.

I emailed my coordinator with the same question and he said the full deposit is due April 17th.
So confusing because the info they sent me yesterday said before the april 15 deadline and the link where you pay gives the option of 2 payments

So confusing because the info they sent me yesterday said before the april 15 deadline and the link where you pay gives the option of 2 payments

I agree, it isn't consistent. I am just going to pay the whole thing on Monday to be safe :)

Is anyone committed to Ross and planning on living off campus?
You have to live in the student housing during the first semester (to help you become acclimated to the island). After that, you move off campus and that's when you can bring your pets.

You have to live in the student housing during the first semester (to help you become acclimated to the island). After that, you move off campus and that's when you can bring your pets.
I am thinking about bringing my dog right away so I wouldn't be able to live on campus. I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of doing that

You can choose to live off campus - and if you're bringing a pet or significant other/family to live with you, you have to live off campus.

I am thinking about bringing my dog right away so I wouldn't be able to live on campus. I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of doing that
Plenty of people did this when I started. You will be in an orientation group with all other "off campus" students so it really helps you bond with those that are having the same experience/struggles as you which other students can't yet relate to.

You can choose to live off campus - and if you're bringing a pet or significant other/family to live with you, you have to live off campus.

Plenty of people did this when I started. You will be in an orientation group with all other "off campus" students so it really helps you bond with those that are having the same experience/struggles as you which other students can't yet relate to.

Whats the best way to go about finding off-campus housing prior to arriving to the island?

Whats the best way to go about finding off-campus housing prior to arriving to the island?
There is a housing website where some landlords list their properties. Personally I found mine by having a friend who was on island post what I was looking for on the Rossie facebook group and I'm still living here two years later :) that seems to be what MOST people do when moving out of the dorms or moving from place to place down here. So get yourselves added to the Facebook page! LOL

Not sure if this question has been asked already, but is there a facebook page for the September 2017?

I went to a Ross seminar, and they made it sound like you absolutely HAVE to live on campus the first semester, but if not then this is awesome! I have two dogs... one my parents will gladly take, and one that is way too wild to leave with anyone else for four months..

Not sure if this question has been asked already, but is there a facebook page for the September 2017?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a page yet.

How do the colors work? I've seen different semester colors. Are you stuck with a color the whole time or does it rotate?

How do the colors work? I've seen different semester colors. Are you stuck with a color the whole time or does it rotate?
I think instead of saying Semester 1, Semester 2, etc they call them Blue Semester, Yellow Semester

Your class is one color. I'm black and I will be done in August so when you guys start in September you will be the new black. You stay with you color unless you fail back then you join the color below you.

I went to a Ross seminar, and they made it sound like you absolutely HAVE to live on campus the first semester, but if not then this is awesome! I have two dogs... one my parents will gladly take, and one that is way too wild to leave with anyone else for four months..
Again, you don't have to live on campus first semester. We are a program full of vet students, how could the school reasonably force people who don't have a place for their pets to go to rehome them or pay for 4 months of pet sitting? Its simply not reasonable. Plus there are so many people married or who bring their significant others or children with them, how could they force all of those people to leave their family members behind just to force them to live on campus? Again, simply not reasonable.

If you contact the housing department in a way that seems like you're ASKING if you can bring a pet/live off campus they will certainly try to persuade you to live on campus and leave your pet home because of course they want to make money from having students in the dorms. But if you just contact them and let them know you have a pet that you need to bring with you they will "let you" live off campus.