Ross Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my phone interview tomorrow, and have no idea how to prepare for it. If anyone that has had their interview already could give some advice, it would be much appreciated! :)

Congratulations! I interviewed with them and it was very casual. They just asked questions based on your application. (grades, GRE, experience) and they just want to make sure you can handle living on an island away from friends and family. So they ask about travel experience and independence. But they're super nice and it was comfortable

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on the interview! When did you submit your application?

Thanks! I submitted my app in mid-August (somewhere around the 20th maybe), but my letters weren't completely in until early-September.

Congratulations! I interviewed with them and it was very casual. They just asked questions based on your application. (grades, GRE, experience) and they just want to make sure you can handle living on an island away from friends and family. So they ask about travel experience and independence. But they're super nice and it was comfortable

Awesome; thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an interview with Ross right before Christmas and still haven't heard back. Any ideas whats going on?

Just got a Skype interview notification, can anyone who has done one already share some advice/what kind of questions they ask? This makes me more nervous than an in-person interview, not gonna lie haha

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a Skype interview notification, can anyone who has done one already share some advice/what kind of questions they ask? This makes me more nervous than an in-person interview, not gonna lie haha
It is very relaxed. It is more focused on the stuff on your app (GPA, experiences, GRE), and the woman who did my interview was very sweet and answered all my questions! About 45 minutes long

I did an interview with Ross right before Christmas and still haven't heard back. Any ideas whats going on?
Might not be a bad idea to email and check on that! They told me 2-3 weeks I should know, so you should ask!

Reactions: 1 user
I got the email saying my application was being processed and have some green check marks. Hopefully going to hear soon!! Good luck to everyone!

Was just accepted 2 days ago! Good luck everyone, just get on them about getting back to you!

I am looking into Ross and one concern of mine is housing. Does anyone know how that works? Do we stay on campus the first year, or do they have housing available? And then as far as the other three years goes- do you find housing close to campus? Really hoping I am accepted to my state school, but as of right now Ross is my back up plan.

Also- does anyone have any advice for the interview and what kind of questions to prepare for? I have mine this upcoming Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking into Ross and one concern of mine is housing. Does anyone know how that works? Do we stay on campus the first year, or do they have housing available? And then as far as the other three years goes- do you find housing close to campus? Really hoping I am accepted to my state school, but as of right now Ross is my back up plan.

I had a family friend that went to Ross. I believe you are required (unless you have family) to live on campus for the first two semesters. Then you move off, and there's plenty of housing to choose from. Depending on where you wanna live, closer to the beach is more expensive etc. The major cost I've been told, is electric. It's very expensive on the island.

I have a couple of green check in my status page, but I still haven't heard from them :/

I got accepted this morning and I interviewed on Feb. 3rd! Good luck to everyone!

Just got the call! Accepted!

I interviewed on 2/2

Reactions: 2 users
Also- does anyone have any advice for the interview and what kind of questions to prepare for? I have mine this upcoming Wednesday.
I just had my Skype interview today. Definitely read over your application and be prepared to talk about everything on it, from grades to GRE and experiences. It was a super laid back interview, and my interviewer was super nice and spent a lot of time talking about her experiences and the school! Good luck!

Just got the call! Accepted!

I interviewed on 2/2
Congrats!! Im still waiting to hear something applied thru vmcas on september
I just had my Skype interview today. Definitely read over your application and be prepared to talk about everything on it, from grades to GRE and experiences. It was a super laid back interview, and my interviewer was super nice and spent a lot of time talking about her experiences and the school! Good luck!
when did you submit your application?

Congrats!! Im still waiting to hear something applied thru vmcas on september

when did you submit your application?
I submitted mine about a week before the deadline on VMCAS! You should probably hear really soon if you submitted in September :)

I submitted mine about a week before the deadline on VMCAS! You should probably hear really soon if you submitted in September :)
Thanks!!! yes, I did submitted on September, I'm dying to finally hear from them.

Thanks!!! yes, I did submitted on September, I'm dying to finally hear from them.
I submitted in August and I still haven't heard anything and none of the grey checkmarks are green.... very strange

I submitted in August and I still haven't heard anything and none of the grey checkmarks are green.... very strange

I am the same way. I have talked to an advisor and he said that it is just still being processed and will be done shortly

I hope you all hear back soon and that we will all be classmates :)

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to Ross a few days ago, and just found this site this week! I was hoping to meet others going to Ross in the fall!

Reactions: 4 users
I had my interview on October 31 and was accepted on November 15. Don't lose hope though! I wasn't the greatest applicant on paper, my undergrad GPA was 3.16 and GRE score was 301 total, but I took a couple of years to accumulate vet experience (general practice and ER/specialty). I applied to state schools 3 times before finally applying to schools outside of the US. If it's something you really want, persistence is key!!

My checklist is all green and I received another email from the admissions office saying that they have everything for the initial review of my application!

Hey guys! Do any of you know/ are any of you current students that I could talk to? I got accepted last week and now want some advice!

I got an acceptance call on Friday, but haven't received an acceptance email from them yet. For those who have been accepted already- did they send you something via snail mail?

I got an acceptance call on Friday, but haven't received an acceptance email from them yet. For those who have been accepted already- did they send you something via snail mail?

Nothing via snail mail and I was accepted November 1. According to the email I got a couple of weeks after I received the acceptance call, they send out the welcome packet 1-2 months prior to orientation (so July?)

I interviewed on January 30th, got my acceptance on February 13th, and my dad just sent me a text that my admissions packet came in the mail today. I have no idea what's in it since I'm in grad school in MA and my parents live in CA, but they have sent me something by mail.

I think they did send just a formal letter of acceptance but that's it.

Thanks guys. I just want something in an email or on a piece of paper to make sure the call wasn't a dream lol

I got a letter and a small brochure in the snail mail about a week after I got a phone call and short brochure. Then we will get a full welcome packet in mid May once the May starters get going.

Hi there, current Rossie here. You can stay in the dorms if you wish for the first semester only. It is not required. I did not stay in the dorms and am happy with my choice and I know many people who DID stay in the dorms and were also happy with their choice and felt it allowed them to adjust more slowly to the island. The other 2 years (remember, you're only on island for 7 semesters which is 2 years and 4 months) you will find your own housing off campus. Lots of this is done through word of mouth and postings by students on our student facebook page and there is also an official housing website though the school where landlords can post what they have available. All housing options are Ross approved (this means the home meets a minimum of safety and security standards and the landlords are held accountable by Ross and if they are shady or not helpful enough or there are egregious issues with the place they will lose their approval and no longer be allowed to rent to students). It is very easy to find housing close to campus.

Everyone else... if you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask, I have been here 2 years now so I feel like I can pretty much answer anything Ross/island related.

Hi there, current Rossie here. You can stay in the dorms if you wish for the first semester only. It is not required. I did not stay in the dorms and am happy with my choice and I know many people who DID stay in the dorms and were also happy with their choice and felt it allowed them to adjust more slowly to the island. The other 2 years (remember, you're only on island for 7 semesters which is 2 years and 4 months) you will find your own housing off campus. Lots of this is done through word of mouth and postings by students on our student facebook page and there is also an official housing website though the school where landlords can post what they have available. All housing options are Ross approved (this means the home meets a minimum of safety and security standards and the landlords are held accountable by Ross and if they are shady or not helpful enough or there are egregious issues with the place they will lose their approval and no longer be allowed to rent to students). It is very easy to find housing close to campus.

Everyone else... if you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask, I have been here 2 years now so I feel like I can pretty much answer anything Ross/island related.

I think you have to live on campus the first 2 semesters now don't you? I would love it if that wasn't the case because I really want to bring my dog with me. She has separation anxiety and I know she will be miserable staying here with my parents.

I think you have to live on campus the first 2 semesters now don't you? I would love it if that wasn't the case because I really want to bring my dog with me. She has separation anxiety and I know she will be miserable staying here with my parents.

No you don't in fact the maximum that you are allowed to live on campus is 1 semester. I don't know where a previous poster got the idea of the 2 semester thing.

When I first started here you "had to" live on campus and yet I lived off campus as well as many other students who needed to bring pets with them, so exceptions were made even then.

Now it is not mandatory at all to live on campus.

No you don't in fact the maximum that you are allowed to live on campus is 1 semester. I don't know where a previous poster got the idea of the 2 semester thing.

When I first started here you "had to" live on campus and yet I lived off campus as well as many other students who needed to bring pets with them, so exceptions were made even then.

I'm glad to hear that!! i want to bring my cat with me

I'd caution anyone from believing any "rules" that they hear that Ross has (about housing or otherwise) if they hear it from someone who is not currently on island and especially in "here-say" type pieces of info (like "oh my cousin's friend used to go there and she said xyz") because Ross is constantly evolving and improving and changing to make things better for the students. So the rules about many things, including housing, were different from when I started 2 years ago and have evolved over time.

I have never heard of a time when it was required to live in the dorms for 2 semesters so that was either made up or was the practice like more than 5 years ago.

Just trying to cut down on misinformation!

I thought the lady who did my interview said we had to live on campus the first two semesters, but I must have heard her wrong. I was just asking anyways, I wasn't stating it was a fact. Sorry for the confusion!

I did get this from the website though, "All new and incoming students are required to live on campus for their first semester, unless approved to live off campus due to special circumstances. New students coming to St. Kitts with children are automatically approved to live off campus."

So does that mean pets count as special circumstances? Because that's awesome and a total relief.

Last edited:
I thought the lady who did my interview said we had to live on campus the first two semesters, but I must have heard her wrong. I was just asking anyways, I wasn't stating it was a fact. Sorry for the confusion!

I did get this from the website though, "All new and incoming students are required to live on campus for their first semester, unless approved to live off campus due to special circumstances. New students coming to St. Kitts with children are automatically approved to live off campus."

So does that mean pets count as special circumstances? Because that's awesome and a total relief.

No worries, I just wanted to clarify because misinformation helps no one.

The website is incorrect, that is simply not the policy any more as far as I know. You can choose to live off campus for any reason now. When I was in 1st (almost 2 years ago) the policy as you found it was the policy in effect and if you told them you HAD to bring a pet or have family or a significant other coming with you were allowed to live off campus. I lived directly off campus because my start date was bumped up one semester sooner only like 3 weeks before the start date so there was no more space in the dorms - my entire orientation group was individuals who were living off campus and half of them were off campus simply because they had pets that they could not or refused to leave home for one semester.

As of a year ago that is no longer the policy and you can notify them that you are not living on campus. I know this to be fact because for one, two of my friends came to Ross a year ago and lived with me (off campus) in their first semester with no issue at all (that was the first semester you could opt out of on campus) and also because I have been an orientation leader multiple times so I am particularly up to date on the rules surrounding housing because those are the questions that new students are constantly asking during orientation. I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that you found that line on the website because God only knows how often they update it. I was just looking for one of my surgery professors on the faculty list on the website and she's not even listed at all even though she has been teaching here for over 5 years.

If they have made changes reverting these rules back to requiring people to live on campus they have not notified any of us who are here at Ross, which would be unusual because there is generally a campus-wide email regarding any policy change. I really can't see the 2 semester thing being real because there just aren't enough dorms to house two entire classes worth of students at one time.

The website is incorrect, that is simply not the policy any more as far as I know. You can choose to live off campus for any reason now. When I was in 1st (almost 2 years ago) the policy as you found it was the policy in effect and if you told them you HAD to bring a pet or have family or a significant other coming with you were allowed to live off campus. I lived directly off campus because my start date was bumped up one semester sooner only like 3 weeks before the start date so there was no more space in the dorms - my entire orientation group was individuals who were living off campus and half of them were off campus simply because they had pets that they could not or refused to leave home for one semester.

As of a year ago that is no longer the policy and you can notify them that you are not living on campus. I know this to be fact because for one, two of my friends came to Ross a year ago and lived with me (off campus) in their first semester with no issue at all (that was the first semester you could opt out of on campus) and also because I have been an orientation leader multiple times so I am particularly up to date on the rules surrounding housing because those are the questions that new students are constantly asking during orientation. I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that you found that line on the website because God only knows how often they update it. I was just looking for one of my surgery professors on the faculty list on the website and she's not even listed at all even though she has been teaching here for over 5 years.

If they have made changes reverting these rules back to requiring people to live on campus they have not notified any of us who are here at Ross, which would be unusual because there is generally a campus-wide email regarding any policy change. I really can't see the 2 semester thing being real because there just aren't enough dorms to house two entire classes worth of students at one time.

That's awesome! Thanks for the information.

I saw on their website that there was a wildlife club, is this true and is it any good?

Got the acceptance call today, interviewed exactly a week ago (2/17)!!

Reactions: 4 users