Ross January start and Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone who starts in January and does 4 semesters on the island would be able to finish in 3.5 years and make the match, assuming all goes smoothly? ie. If start in January 2017 then match in March 2020 and start residency that July 2020? And if possible, how likely? I would especially like to hear from current or recent Ross students/graduates since they changed the number of clinical weeks required to 90. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's certainly possible. I graduated last year and knew a few people who did this. To make it work you basically have to minimize your step 1 study time to start clinicals as soon as possible, and then do all your rotations back to back with little or no breaks during those 90 weeks. When I did it we still had 12 weeks of 5th semester, which apparently has been decreased so maybe that gives you a little more wiggle room.

So you can definitely do it, just realize you will likely have little or no dedicated Step 1/2 study time (i.e. will be studying while in classes/rotations), and will likely have to line up all clinical rotations back-to-back. This will limit your ability to schedule specific rotations you might want to (i.e. non-affiliate rotations in your specialty of choice, etc), as well as having some much needed downtime during those years.

I actually started with the plan to try and do this, but abandoned it after 4th semester when I realized that attempting to squeeze everything in would likely hamper my ability to put forward the strongest residency application possible.

I was wondering if someone who starts in January and does 4 semesters on the island would be able to finish in 3.5 years and make the match, assuming all goes smoothly? ie. If start in January 2017 then match in March 2020 and start residency that July 2020? And if possible, how likely? I would especially like to hear from current or recent Ross students/graduates since they changed the number of clinical weeks required to 90. Thank you.

Horrible idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's certainly possible. I graduated last year and knew a few people who did this. To make it work you basically have to minimize your step 1 study time to start clinicals as soon as possible, and then do all your rotations back to back with little or no breaks during those 90 weeks. When I did it we still had 12 weeks of 5th semester, which apparently has been decreased so maybe that gives you a little more wiggle room.

So you can definitely do it, just realize you will likely have little or no dedicated Step 1/2 study time (i.e. will be studying while in classes/rotations), and will likely have to line up all clinical rotations back-to-back. This will limit your ability to schedule specific rotations you might want to (i.e. non-affiliate rotations in your specialty of choice, etc), as well as having some much needed downtime during those years.

I actually started with the plan to try and do this, but abandoned it after 4th semester when I realized that attempting to squeeze everything in would likely hamper my ability to put forward the strongest residency application possible.

Argus, thank you for your helpful response. I realized I should specify, even if possible to start in January and graduate in 3.5 years and start residency that July, do know of anyone who had problems or delays getting the ECFMG certification and/or the PTAL letter for California before entering the Match, thereby delaying residency until next year?

Not being ECFMG certified (which requires graduation) by the match is not a big deal. They have what is called ECFMG "verified," which basically means you have passed Step 1/CK/CS, and this you must have done I believe by the rank order list deadline**. In terms of the actual certification, this definitely takes a few weeks, as does just the processing time from Ross (to get your last evaluation, do the paperwork, etc). I think Ross alone says 1 month to process your graduation materials.

I don't know about PTAL as I didn't want to move to California and didn't bother with the process.

I would say you should plan on being done by the beginning of May in order to make the July 1st deadline for starting residency.

**In reality, as a US-IMG you should have passed Step 1/CK/CS before evening applying for residency (and your application should be done the day ERAS opens). Many programs won't even look at an IMG until all steps have been passed, and besides you don't want to give programs any reason to question/doubt you.

Reactions: 1 users
**In reality, as a US-IMG you should have passed Step 1/CK/CS before evening applying for residency (and your application should be done the day ERAS opens). Many programs won't even look at an IMG until all steps have been passed, and besides you don't want to give programs any reason to question/doubt you.

Absolutely. Every program I interviewed at this year wanted proof of passing Step 1/CK/CS before they would even consider my app. Makes the end of 3rd year even more stressful when you're trying to juggle testing dates, travel plans for CS, and figuring out how to pay for the extra $2k in testing fees.

OP I'm not from Ross so I can't speak directly to your question, but I will say that trying to compress an already tight schedule seems unwise to me. Something as silly as a missed TB screening form can delay you a week on your clinical rotations, and if you don't give yourself some cushion in your schedule to accommodate those unforeseen setbacks you're likely setting yourself up for failure. I wouldn't recommend trying to blaze this trail.

I am a current Ross student in my 3rd semester under their accelerated track. I can tell you given the current standards set by the admin, they are enforcing a minimum 70% in all disciplines to remain on the accelerated track and a minimum overall pass of 65. I would probably advise you take your time and grasp the material well enough to perform on Step 1. You can't risk failure on that exam or you won't get a residency. Thats just a fact of the caribbean med student life. If you have any other questions about Ross and want me to answer them please do. Otherwise, best of luck to you.