-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ross Medical School vs. U.S. D.O.
Started by Santario69
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That's a google advertisement.
Thanks mod for point that out!! Im glad im using AdBlock on FF. I dont see those annoying ads
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
We really can't resist can we?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D.O.s treat the patient from a different approach than the M.D.s and everyone knows it is true. End of the thread for me.
Why don't you just stop commenting nonsense damn it? 🙄
D.O.s treat the patient from a different approach than the M.D.s and everyone knows it is true. End of the thread for me.
You can't say things like this..especially when most DO's end up training at MD accredited residencies. It's a nice idea, and our medical school training might be a tad different, but just because we graduate with different letters behind our name doesn't automatically mean that we will have a 'different approach' to medicine. I'm sure there are a lot of well rounded, holistic DO's out there that care about their patient's overall health. But DO's don't own holistic medicine.
What is your definition of "a little?"
D.O. first time taker pass rate (2008): 82%
M.D. first time taker pass rate (2008): 95%
http://www.usmle.org/Scores_Transcripts/performance/2008.html
My definition of "a little" is the number between MD pass rate and Carib-MD pass rate. Since this thread isn't about MD vs. DO but rather Carib-MD vs. DO, the DO pass rate of the USMLE is "a little" lower than US MD, relatively speaking when compared to Carib-MD, which illustrates a much larger gap.
D.O.s treat the patient from a different approach than the M.D.s and everyone knows it is true. End of the thread for me.
I'm a DO. You are wrong. End of thread for you.
.
Last edited:
I think the "different approach" argument may have held water 20 years ago, but I'm almost certain all MD schools focus on an empathic approach to patients just as well as DO schools do. In our Principles of Primary Care course, we watch a video on proper interview techniques and ways doctors show compassion during the history taking. Guess who filmed and produced the video? The Medical College of Georgia. I think this is mostly a marketing scheme by the AOA and pumps up their focus on primary care. With that said, bedside manner is completely up to the doctor and not the medical school from which he or she graduated.
Truth! 👍
I've met DO's with NO bedside manner just as I've met MD's with no bedside matter.
Then the MD's who were taking care of me in the hospital were just awesome and even chatted with me about the med school process with some great advice, and the DO's at my Primary Care center are great as well.
IMO it's best to stop lumping each other into opposing groups and just judge people as individuals with their own merits and their own faults. You're not going to be a better or a worse doctor if you went to MD>DO or DO>MD, no matter what two letters are at the end of your name you'll still be the same doctor in the end.
I agree, so why aren't we all just medical doctors? Why don't we have D.M. behind our last name? Doctor of Medicine? I'm just wondering what you all think.
At one time yes they were different, no one is denying that. Now both are fully licensed physicians in the United States and the differences have eroded as time has passed.
Hi all, I was wondering if you would help me decide on this tough choice in front of me. So I was accepted to Ross Med. school in Dominica starting this upcoming January 2010. Last year, I also applied to a few U.S. D.O. schools and have been admitted to a few as well, which start in August. Now just to let you know that I want to specialize in Internal Medicine. With that in mind, which option should I take considering quality of education, obtaining a Residency spot and so on? Please give your advice. Thank you all!
I'm starting my first semester at Ross in January 2010. There's no way I'd be going to Ross if I got accepted into a DO school. Nobody should be going to any school in the Caribbean if they don't have to.
The difference is not there. As a DO student I will keep this as a conviction. I am no better than my MD brethren.GO D.O. If you excel, you can go to many prestigious residencies.
-An M.D. told me the importance of the holistic approach to medicine the other day. He told me of a woman who came into his clinic and she had some disease. The physician asked about something else that was troubling her too. He said that he saved her life because she was going to commit suicide if no one was there to help her. This approach to holistically looking at a patient...ended up saving her life. MD's are trained to look at the symptom and most miss the other side of medicine--the social aspect of the patient. Indeed, I'm going to an M.D. school in Baltimore next fall, but I still value the great insights D.O.'s give towards the progression of American Medicine. DO NOT listen to others and DO NOT let others influence you from being a D.O. Go D.O. and you'll be fine.
ACGME core competencies:
- Patient Care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health
- Medical Knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and cognate (e.g. epidemiological and social-behavioral) sciences and the application of this knowledge to patient care
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement that involves investigation and evaluation of their own patient care, appraisal and assimilation of scientific evidence, and improvements in patient care
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills that result in effective information exchange and teaming with patients, their families, and other health professionals
- Professionalism, as manifested through a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to a diverse patient population
- Systems-Based Practice, as manifested by actions that demonstrate an awareness of and responsiveness to the larger context and system of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value
AOA core competencies:
Osteopathic Philosophy and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
Medical Knowledge
Patient Care
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Professionalism
Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
Systems-Based Practice
The only difference is OPP and OMM. It doesn't make us better diagnosticians, physicians, or people. It just gives us something extra. We aren't different.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
let's end this thread already! M.D. and D.O. are essentially the same, especially if you are a DO who went into an MD residency, you will practice no differently than an equivalent MD. Sure, it may be tougher to place into competitive MD residencies, but in the end it's up to the individual.
1
123165
it may be tougher to place into competitive MD residencies. EXACTLY. Bye.
Competitive residencies are always tough to place into. Is it extra tough for DO's?
Haha, I guess that means DO's work harder

I am kidding, by the way
I'm starting my first semester at Ross in January 2010. There's no way I'd be going to Ross if I got accepted into a DO school. Nobody should be going to any school in the Caribbean if they don't have to.
Is there any argument past this point??? I feel like this is period, bam, done.
You're missing the point. I understand that during this century, the disciplines of osteopathy and allopathic medicine have been converging.
MY POINT IS TO ILLUSTRATE that the training is different and that the way of diagnosing patients is DIFFERENT. wow
In the ER, both the DO and MD doctors diagnosed their patients in the same way. I did not see any difference. They took the patients' histories, observed any noticeable symptoms, looked at labs and test scans, and made a diagnosis. Maybe I missed the difference...
How did I get sucked into this thread?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 408