Ross SVM- September 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeeney

Ross SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've decided to attend ross due to their stafford loans.....so, who else will be attending ross this september 2008...it'd be nice for us to congregate here before we head to the island. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your decision! I just began exploring Ross and have been finding a lot of good info from students down there. Did you see this blog:
http://lifeonstkitts.blogspot.com
Ross always seemed so far away to me, and there is a lot of negative, but it's nice to see students just like us, who went through all the stuff I'm going through, making it.
I'm really considering it for January if I don't decide to move out of Jersey. Did it take long to hear from them once you had your interview?
Anyway, nice to see more SDNers going down there. You can give us the scoop after you get there.
Good luck!:luck:

Congratulations on your decision! I just began exploring Ross and have been finding a lot of good info from students down there. Did you see this blog:
Ross always seemed so far away to me, and there is a lot of negative, but it's nice to see students just like us, who went through all the stuff I'm going through, making it.
I'm really considering it for January if I don't decide to move out of Jersey. Did it take long to hear from them once you had your interview?
Anyway, nice to see more SDNers going down there. You can give us the scoop after you get there.

thanks for the blog! I have neveR seen it before and its nice seeing so many smiling faces @ a place that contains so many 'negatives.' It actually did not take too long for me to hear from them after my interview...I think it took ~3.5 weeks foR me to hear back from them.....but i hope u can join me and the rest of the SDNers who are headed down there..:)

Members don't see this ad :)
i will be interviewing at ross in may (for fall 08). perhaps i'll be joining you all! I visited the school almost 2 years ago and liked it a lot. of course i'd rather stay in the states, but we'll see!

It takes about 2-3 weeks to hear. My interviewer called me and then I got the acceptance packet in the mail. I'm not going there, but the interview was nice and laid back, which gave me confidence for future interviews.

i will be interviewing at ross in may (for fall 08). perhaps i'll be joining you all! I visited the school almost 2 years ago and liked it a lot. of course i'd rather stay in the states, but we'll see!

Good luck with your interview!:luck: I'm surprised that they're still interviewing for September, but I do know someone who is an alternate (for the 2nd year) who will give up her Ross seat if she gets a spot in the states, so maybe that's why they are still accepting applications for the fall.
I'm curious, did they say that they still have openings for the fall, or will they accept you and put you in the January class if they meet their numbers?

they specifically told me that there were still openings for fall 08. i scheduled my interview over a month ago. so i don't know whether things have changed or not. i'd be fine with starting in the fall or january. we'll see! i'll keep you updated once i know something!

hi all - I'm new here. I interviewed for fall 08 a little over 3wks ago. He said there were spots still available, but it was getting close. I am anxiously waiting for the call!

I interviewed 2 weeks ago, haven't heard back yet. Hopefully I'll get in and I'll see you this fall!

yay to all those that landed interviews! :) im sure you will all get in...and to all who will and have been accepted, i will see you in Sept. or...late aug. during orientation :luck:

I am headed down there next week to start the summer session. I was accepted at the end of March for the spring semester! I think I'll like it- I will keep everyone updated!

I would LOVE any info and good luck! Are you living on campus for the 1st semester?

Also zpinkpanther, just to let you know, apparently the admissions group in St. Kitts is on break for 2 wks so we won't be hearing anything till May.

I would LOVE any info and good luck! Are you living on campus for the 1st semester?

Also zpinkpanther, just to let you know, apparently the admissions group in St. Kitts is on break for 2 wks so we won't be hearing anything till May.

:eek: That totally sucks. I'm gonna go nuts. I thought the admissions committee was in Edison? Geez, now I'll have to find something else to obsess over for the rest of the month. *sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: That totally sucks. I'm gonna go nuts. I thought the admissions committee was in Edison? Geez, now I'll have to find something else to obsess over for the rest of the month. *sigh*

No the admissions committee is a bunch of professors and faculty so they are definitely down on the island. Edison is just the administrative offices. I understand your pain - i interviewed right before winter break - it took me close to 9 weeks to hear (but they told me 4-6 so it was supposed to be longer to begin with).

Good luck - im sure you will hear soon!

I KNOW! ME TOO!! I'm sorry - I mentioned it so casually, but I'm going crazy also. I couldn't take it anymore yesterday so I emailed the person I interviewed with and asked him if he heard anything. He replied with that fabulous news this morning. I think it's better to know though, than to continue the daily ritual of checking phone, cell, mail and email every minute.

I am headed down there next week to start the summer session. I was accepted at the end of March for the spring semester! I think I'll like it- I will keep everyone updated!

please do! :)post pics too if u can! hehe

I KNOW! ME TOO!! I'm sorry - I mentioned it so casually, but I'm going crazy also. I couldn't take it anymore yesterday so I emailed the person I interviewed with and asked him if he heard anything. He replied with that fabulous news this morning. I think it's better to know though, than to continue the daily ritual of checking phone, cell, mail and email every minute.

Hehe, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one freaking out about that one. Who said they could take a vacation, anyway? :rolleyes:

No the admissions committee is a bunch of professors and faculty so they are definitely down on the island. Edison is just the administrative offices. I understand your pain - i interviewed right before winter break - it took me close to 9 weeks to hear (but they told me 4-6 so it was supposed to be longer to begin with).

Good luck - im sure you will hear soon!

Thanks! I hope I don't have to wait 9 weeks, I'd kind of like to know what I'll be doing next year. Big difference between going off the the Caribbean and staying here... ;)

i've decided to attend ross due to their stafford loans.....so, who else will be attending ross this september 2008...it'd be nice for us to congregate here before we head to the island. :)

Jeeney, did you apply to St. George also? I've been comparing the two lately.
Also, since a lot of SDNers are getting interested in Ross, maybe someone would want to start a Facebook group like a lot of schools are doing. I bet a lot of us will be joining soon.
Congratulations again. Must feel so good to finally be beginning!:banana:

Also, since a lot of SDNers are getting interested in Ross, maybe someone would want to start a Facebook group like a lot of schools are doing. I bet a lot of us will be joining soon.

There is already a group on Facebook for those starting Ross in September- I think it's called Ross Vet September 2008. I know, I spend way too much time procrastinating on Facebook. ;)

I did apply to SGU also and am currently waiting on their reply to see if I got in or not because I'm now between the two schools..It's like a 60% for Ross and 40% for SGU (if i were to hypothetically get into both schools)...but I deferred my deposit for Ross to see what SGU says because I had interviewed a few weeks ago and am still awaiting their reply...*sigh*

and it does feel good to finally be starting because i've been out of school for a year now....hehe..will you be joining the rest of us @ ross or will you bE heading to SGU?

Congratulations! Make sure you have the jerk goat at Cathy's in Turtle Beach (I think). That is, if you have any time away from studying!

It would be great to hear from more Ross and St. George students...keep us posted, eh?

I did apply to SGU also and am currently waiting on their reply to see if I got in or not because I'm now between the two schools..It's like a 60% for Ross and 40% for SGU (if i were to hypothetically get into both schools)...but I deferred my deposit for Ross to see what SGU says because I had interviewed a few weeks ago and am still awaiting their reply...*sigh*

and it does feel good to finally be starting because i've been out of school for a year now....hehe..will you be joining the rest of us @ ross or will you bE heading to SGU?

Well, I'm looking into them right now, but I don't think I could pull it all together for the fall, so I'm leaning towards applying for the January class. I think I'm giving up moving out of state, no guarantees if I do. That's why I'm happy that more SDNers are going to the Caribbean. From what I'm seeing, a lot of good vets come out of there.

You have to find out yourself- thank your fellow SDNers for that!

Last edited:
I'll defiantly keep y'all updated on Ross.
I am living on campus first semester, coming home for 2 weeks, and bringing my dog back in September.

That's exactly why I asked :D. Do you have a plan for that? Has your dog ever traveled before? I MUST GET my dog and cat down as soon as possible. They have never been on a plane before and it's flippin me out a little.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and will have a great experience at Ross!

Hello everyone! Here is another blog about life in st kitts: www.rockstarsmommy.blogspot.com It is the blog of a friend of mine who is in 6th semester there. Currently she is in Africa (a once in a lifetime opportunity ross students get)!
For those of you looking into apartments/houses the safest place is the Frigate Bay area. It is a little more expensive but worth it! Also may want to look into places that have generaters (Golfview does for sure)
Good luck everyone its a great island!

That's exactly why I asked :D. Do you have a plan for that? Has your dog ever traveled before? I MUST GET my dog and cat down as soon as possible. They have never been on a plane before and it's flippin me out a little.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and will have a great experience at Ross!

Yeah, if I get in, I'm planning on taking my cat with me after first semester (they don't let you bring pets when you're living in the campus housing).I'm more worried about making sure I have all of the stuff (titers, vaccines, health cert, etc) done in time than how he'll feel about being on a plane. He's the most laid-back cat I've ever seen, so I don't think it'll be an issue for him. And being there for a semester without him is going to be really hard, since he's pretty much the love of my life! :rolleyes:

I'll defiantly keep y'all updated on Ross.
I am living on campus first semester, coming home for 2 weeks, and bringing my dog back in September.

I choose Ross over SGU because Ross is closer, more established, their accelerated program, and it can be financed through Stafford loans (which is a big help for me, poor student with bad credit).
I know tons of people that went to Ross and they all said they loved it. One friend at SGU said she wouldn't do it all over again. One kid who just transfered out of SGU hated it. I really think any school is what you make of it. I didn't let a few student's opinions sway mine.

I am an extremely motivated individual, who has done more on the animal welfare field already than some vets will do in a lifetime. I have a crappy family that never gave me a dime, so I always had to balance school and work. It's not easy. I have a mortgage to pay, and school has often had to take a back burner. I'm very bright but I am often bored with classes... and my grades have suffered. Next option would have been to get a masters, but since CSU just increased tuition for the master's program and plenty of super-qualified students with masters were denied admission to vet school this year, I didn't want to waste my money and get denied again next year.

With the arrogance of the staff and the low case load CSU has been seeing (my instate school), I didn't want to bend over backwards to get in. They have been sending students home early for months now due to low case loads (may have something to do with a new equine clinic opening out east, and locals finally have choices....). I know a few people currently enrolled, and they are not happy (to say the least). In state tuition is a great deal (relatively speaking). OOS tuition will cost as much as Ross will.

I spoke with a friend who's OOS at CSU about going to Ross. He said, it is all what you make of it. You will only be as good as you want to be. He told me, without hesitation, to head out to Ross. A professor encouraged me to go rather than to spend a few more years trying to grab the attention of CSU's adcoms (interesting enough, I always seem to grab the attention of the fly on the wall here...)

I LOVE the idea of being able to go anywhere for my clinics. I'm hoping to head out east to Cornell or Penn, where I can see a ton of cases in the fields I am interested in.

I am planning (hopefully!) on going to SGU for August '08. I have heard the exact opposite for Ross versus SGU from their graduates. I guess it really depends on the person, hence why I have taken these opinions with a grain of salt.

SGU is cheaper in tuition, but as I understand the cost of living is a little more expensive. SGU does not have stafford loans (yet), but they do work with EdInvest which mimicks stafford loans which is nice. The island (I don't know personally, so correct me if I am wrong) is a little more developed than St. Kitts.

I've heard mixed opinions on the faculty at both schools. But overall, it seems pretty positive at SGU. Whereas I've heard (again, opinion) Ross matriculates too many students for incoming classes, and it's a lot of weeding out the first and second termers.

A lot of the reason that I am planning on going to SGU is because it IS three years, and not accelerated like Ross.

I am sure both schools are pretty competitive with each other. And if you work hard, you will get through. It was hard picking between the caribbean schools, but I am pretty happy about my decision.

I choose Ross over SGU because Ross is closer, more established, their accelerated program, and it can be financed through Stafford loans (which is a big help for me, poor student with bad credit).

Maybe its a dumb question, but what is the deal with Ross and stafford loans?

I thought because it wasnt an accredited school you are ineligible for stafford loans if you attend there?

Maybe its a dumb question, but what is the deal with Ross and stafford loans?

I thought because it wasnt an accredited school you are ineligible for stafford loans if you attend there?

Ross does have stafford loans. As I understand it, the school does not need to be accredited with the AVMA to be eligible for stafford loans. Ross is owned by DeVry, I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that it can get stafford loans?

I have heard that SGU and Ross are in the same boat as far as accreditation with the AVMA.

Thanks! I hope I don't have to wait 9 weeks, I'd kind of like to know what I'll be doing next year. Big difference between going off the the Caribbean and staying here... ;)

Today is the last day of their break! We survived, painful as it was.

Ready, ready, ready.....Can I have an answer please, pretty please, so that I can plan and organize my life accordingly. No more limbo please - I want to do stuff. I want to impulse shop, pack things that I absolutely won't need and dream about this adventure that will ultimately be sooo different than anything I can possibly imagine.
Oh God, I'm getting goofy.

Today is the last day of their break! We survived, painful as it was.

Ready, ready, ready.....Can I have an answer please, pretty please, so that I can plan and organize my life accordingly. No more limbo please - I want to do stuff. I want to impulse shop, pack things that I absolutely won't need and dream about this adventure that will ultimately be sooo different than anything I can possibly imagine.
Oh God, I'm getting goofy.

Amen to that! I'm such a planner; it's freaking me out to not know where I'll be living 4 months from now. Don't get me wrong, I can be pretty spontaneous, but this is a big deal, so I have to admit, I'm getting pretty impatient. Here's hoping we hear by the end of the week! :luck:

Amen to that! I'm such a planner; it's freaking me out to not know where I'll be living 4 months from now. Don't get me wrong, I can be pretty spontaneous, but this is a big deal, so I have to admit, I'm getting pretty impatient. Here's hoping we hear by the end of the week! :luck:

:luck:i hope u hear by the end of the week too!

oh man, I shouldn't have clicked on that, I have finals this week :(

Haha

Hehe, sorry about that... I find it a stimulating alternative to physics, though. :rolleyes: I really need to learn how to not procrastinate. ;)

zpinkpanther - did you hear anything yet????

I can't believe I am still waiting! I soooooo don't want to go into ANOTHER weekend with no decision!

I was goofy and now I'm pissy..............

zpinkpanther - did you hear anything yet????

I can't believe I am still waiting! I soooooo don't want to go into ANOTHER weekend with no decision!

I was goofy and now I'm pissy..............

Ugh, how sad is it that when I saw you'd posted in this thread my heart skipped a beat?? I was thinking, "OMG someone heard from Ross!" :rolleyes: Nope, haven't heard anything yet. And I'm dogsitting this week, so I'm all paranoid that I'll miss a call because I'm not at home.

Yup, yet another weekend of saying a dejected "nope" to everyone who asks about vet school. And it seems like they ask me every time I go into work!:oops:

And I'm dogsitting this week, so I'm all paranoid that I'll miss a call because I'm not at home.

I'm not sure if this is going to help or make you more crazy...but I'm going to tell you so I'm shooting for helping! ;)

I know i previously mentioned they told me 4-6 weeks to hear but b/c of break it took them 9 for me to find out...

...well what i never said was they never called me even though my interviewer said they ALWAYS call cause they don't want to wait for the mail. One day I got home at about 11:30 pm (actually valentines day and I was at a Matchbox 20 Concert at MSG and then was leaving for Illinois the next morning) and my mom was waiting for me at the train station acting all weird. When we got home she handed me one of those white with red and blue envelopes clearly from Ross.

Anyway, my point is they never called me. A day later and I would have been in Illinois for 5 days and my mom would have died b/c noone in my house is allowed to open my mail.

...Like I said I don't know if thats going to help or make you more anxious...but break a leg either way! :luck:

I'm so glad you mentioned it!! Anything helps at this point. Have you guys ever been on the Ross vet future student forum? It's not very busy so I usually check it out about 1x wk. Anyway, I checked it this morning and I see this.....

POSTED TODAY
"I was accepted to Ross about a week ago and now I am trying to make the arrangements to travel down to St. Kitts. I went to verizon and they said there was no..."

Glad that person heard from Ross, but I'm at a loss as to what the story is with admissions.

I'm not sure if this is going to help or make you more crazy...but I'm going to tell you so I'm shooting for helping! ;)

I know i previously mentioned they told me 4-6 weeks to hear but b/c of break it took them 9 for me to find out...

...well what i never said was they never called me even though my interviewer said they ALWAYS call cause they don't want to wait for the mail. One day I got home at about 11:30 pm (actually valentines day and I was at a Matchbox 20 Concert at MSG and then was leaving for Illinois the next morning) and my mom was waiting for me at the train station acting all weird. When we got home she handed me one of those white with red and blue envelopes clearly from Ross.

Anyway, my point is they never called me. A day later and I would have been in Illinois for 5 days and my mom would have died b/c noone in my house is allowed to open my mail.

...Like I said I don't know if thats going to help or make you more anxious...but break a leg either way! :luck:

Thanks! That actually does make me feel better. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks right after finals are over, so I certainly hope it comes before then! My interviewer also made a big deal that they always try to call everyone before they get the letter, but I guess that might be lip service, or maybe they just get too busy. Of course, the offices are in NJ and I'm in MD, it only took me 3 hours to drive there, so it shouldn't take a letter too long to get here, right? Oy!

Jeterfan- I thought the admissions committee was still on break last week? Maybe it took a while for that person to get their letter. Oh well. I'm trying really hard not to let this distract me from studying for finals! I'm so neurotic. :rolleyes:

Glad to help!

Yeah im in NY (hence the handle name!) and it took that long to get to me. I had Milena Garcia interview me and she told me several times they always try to call people before you get the letter. So I was going nuts myself. Not sure if its lip service, as you said, or they just forgot or what! I hope it comes before your vacation so you can have a nice trip and relax! :luck:

not sure if this helps, but my interviewer told me that they would email the decision to you....funny how each interviewer does different things....:rolleyes:

Jeterfan- I thought the admissions committee was still on break last week? Maybe it took a while for that person to get their letter. Oh well. I'm trying really hard not to let this distract me from studying for finals! I'm so neurotic. :rolleyes:

I KNOW!! Strange, huh
I am officially checking mail, phone AND email now
Anyway, I'm rootin for us! Good luck on finals

Glad to help!

Yeah im in NY (hence the handle name!) and it took that long to get to me. I had Milena Garcia interview me and she told me several times they always try to call people before you get the letter. So I was going nuts myself. Not sure if its lip service, as you said, or they just forgot or what! I hope it comes before your vacation so you can have a nice trip and relax! :luck:

Thanks, I hope it comes before then, too! You're even closer than I am, then (I figured you were in NY, but you never know!). I interviewed with Milena also and she did the same thing to me- she must have said it at least 5 times. And now someone else told jeeney that they e-mail, so I don't know what's going on! Oh, well, I check everything excessively/obsessively anyway! :D I have gotten a couple e-mails from them about info seminars since my interview and that's just mean, because every time I see Ross in my e-mail my heart skips a beat. :rolleyes:

Alright, I'm off to check my mailbox now... :cool:

Hi everyone! I am new to SDN. I didn't get into Western, UF, UCDavis, or Washington State for fall 08 so I applied to Ross and I have an interview this Thursday. Any advice on questions asked or what to brush up on? Also, do most of you guys have vet tech experience before heading off to vet school? I don't know (if I get in) if I should go right away in September (I have only worked as a doctor's assistant at a VCA for a year) or if I should defer to May admission so that I can get trained as a vet tech for several months. Any advice? Thanks!

THANK YOU for that site. I found exactly what I was looking for in terms of interview questions. I'm assuming they are still interviewing for September bc that's the date I checked in my application.