Ross University resuming semester on cruise ship. How will this affect their residency chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to find sympathy for Caribbean students, given that there is ample information out there about the dangers of the Caribbean. A simple google search gives plenty of information about the dangers of the islands. I've seen some posters around my campus advertising Carib schools, and have torn them down when no one was around. I am just honestly shocked at the amount of people that dump this amount of money into something without being informed. Would you buy a 50k dollar car that had a 50 percent chance of working, according to every single thing that google says. Honestly, I think one must be delusional, or technologically illiterate, to attend one of these so called medical schools.

Firstly big man, you are aware that there are plenty of Caribbean graduates out there right now, treating patients, making money, and kissing the ladies, who's jockstraps you would not be qualified to hold.

Secondly, I'm more of a believer today that all the hearsay regarding the Caribbean should be taken with a grain of salt. Some people will succeed down that route. Case-in-point, my former classmate 240/236 with 14 IM interviews. Dude is so confident in his ability, he did not accept a pre-match at his #2 interview.

It's not for just anybody but if that were your only shot and you feel like you have it in you, it's the way to go.

Members don't see this ad.

LMAO. Pretty big talk from someone who I don't even think has taken the MCAT yet.
Gee wiz getting a 490 MCAT sure is difficult. I respect MD/DO students in US because they made it through a selective process to be where they are and have likely overcome hardships to be there. Likewise I respect practicing img/fmg physicians because they too have made it through a significant hardship and made it to where they are. Carribean students are nothing academically worthier then a premed because they have yet to go through any significant academic hurdle in medical education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think you are being sarcastic???

SGU becoming publicly traded would actually help A LOT! The simpler a industry is the more transparency it demands. SGU would be considered by inventories as a service industry.... For the most part investors and analyst can understand the "lingo" this industry speaks and because of that they will demand transparency. Usually complicated industries are where consumers and investors get shafted because they can't demand this transparency. This movement to becoming more transparent when a company becomes public wouldn't be unique... It would actual be the norm.

Note: Usually I'm the first to point out the faults of capitalism but this is an instance were becoming public would help.
Ross and AUC are wholly owned subsidiaries of DeVry Medical International which irself is a wholly owned subsidary of Adtalem, the rebranded name of DeVry Education Group. Having gone thru most of the quarterly reports, SEC filings, and similar for several years, including the original sale of Ross, there is little transparency. There will be little for SGU as well as the current capital investment company that has put $750 million dollars into SGU will most probably have preferred shares for itself with common shares (and virtually no power) to the others. The service here is enrolling students with graduating a secondary priority. The more students that are enrolled (and drop out), the higher profit per enrollee their will be. Since rotations are the most expensive piece of education for medical students, there is a strong incentive to have large upfront classes (year 1&2) and smaller year 3&4 rotations. Of course information on attrition wont public, no matter how hard stock holders will try

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly big man, you are aware that there are plenty of Caribbean graduates out there right now, treating patients, making money, and kissing the ladies, who's jockstraps you would not be qualified to hold.

Secondly, I'm more of a believer today that all the hearsay regarding the Caribbean should be taken with a grain of salt. Some people will succeed down that route. Case-in-point, my former classmate 240/236 with 14 IM interviews. Dude is so confident in his ability, he did not accept a pre-match at his #2 interview.

It's not for just anybody but if that were your only shot and you feel like you have it in you, it's the way to go.
Fair enough but dont expect sympathy when your classes move to a cruise ship.

Reactions: 3 users
Ive seen that guys behavior across several threads. We all get salty with some of the things said but its like his goal god emperor dream is to roast people on SDN.

When you willingly plant your cheeks on the grill, don't be surprised if you end up roasted.

Reactions: 3 users
Its a hurricane man, of all the mistakes someone can make by choosing Caribbean a ****ing hurricane is not under their control.
A DO school was hit by a hurricane a few years ago. They could simply move their classes to another location in United States because they werent a shady for profit institution. And well I suppose this is just another warning sticker for potential carrib students as if there arent enough of them already.

Reactions: 4 users
I find it hard to find sympathy for Caribbean students, given that there is ample information out there about the dangers of the Caribbean. A

Hmmm....ample information about the dangers? Other than here on SDN?

I'm frequently running into people who think the Caribb is a viable alternative. Maybe because Calif premeds have such a hard time getting into a MD med school, it's pretty common for anxious students and parents to think that offshore is ok...and they're not hearing about the whole matching issue. Hell, how many premeds and their families even know what/how the residency process works. Match Day, they ask? What is that!?!

Maybe they don't research possible problems because they know practicing physicians that went that route 25 years ago when it was a trusted route for non-trads.

Ross and AUC are wholly owned subsidiaries of DeVry Medical International which irself is a wholly owned subsidary of Adtalem, the rebranded name of DeVry Education Group. Having gone thru most of the quarterly reports, SEC filings, and similar for several years, including the original sale of Ross, there is little transparency. There will be little for SGU as well as the current capital investment company that has put $750 million dollars into SGU will most probably have preferred shares for itself with common shares (and virtually no power) to the others. The service here is enrolling students with graduating a secondary priority. The more students that are enrolled (and drop out), the higher profit per enrollee their will be. Since rotations are the most expensive piece of education for medical students, there is a strong incentive to have large upfront classes (year 1&2) and smaller year 3&4 rotations. Of course information on attrition wont public, no matter how hard stock holders will try

I would say the FTC isn't being to kind to DeVry at the moment (and the climate might be more hostile for the predators in 3 years (hopefully not 8 years).) I know DeVry has been public for a while now but I believe if they would have stayed private there wouldn't have been a case against them. I'm just saying clearly these schools don't put their students first, which means they are already profit driven. So if they are already profit driven going public won't change their strategy. I'm not putting faith in wallstreet or anything. BUT it was the FTC that cracked down on DeVry not the education department... Not sure which branches could have done something (heck the commerce clause could have given someone the power in someway) but going public can put SGU in the FTC's cross-hairs. Once again I'm not saying going public will fix anything but I believe it could present a point of weakness to take the monster down.

DeVry Refunds

Hmmm....ample information about the dangers? Other than here on SDN?

I'm frequently running into people who think the Caribb is a viable alternative. Maybe because Calif premeds have such a hard time getting into a MD med school, it's pretty common for anxious students and parents to think that offshore is ok...and they're not hearing about the whole matching issue. Hell, how many premeds and their families even know what/how the residency process works. Match Day, they ask? What is that!?!

Maybe they don't research possible problems because they know practicing physicians that went that route 25 years ago when it was a trusted route for non-trads.
Running a google search for "Are Caribbean medical schools good" yields a very negative response. Same for "should i apply to caribbean medical schools". If in 2017 you cant make a simple google search about the next FOUR years of your education and the rest of your life, I find it difficult to find any sympathy.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.