Ross University-some questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HyPrice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has maybe been addressed before, so please let me know if it has! All I can find in the archives is information about the medical school at Ross, not the vet school.

Has anyone done the vet program at Ross? Since it is affiliated with US schools, are graduates GAURANTEED to become licensed vets in the US, once they pass the necessary tests? And, according to my advisor, it sounds like people who go to Ross end up taking one more test than state graduates?

I personally am coming to the vet program a little late, and would like to get to vet school a little faster--I could do this by going to Ross. I can also afford it (is that the biggest draw back, it's expensive?)

Do vets in the US look "down" on those who are graduates of Ross? I'll want to work for a clinic, ovbiously, once I graduate-is it hard to find a job having graduated from there?

I suppose that's it for now! :)
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. Better late than never...ha,ha...I don't think Ross graduates are looked down upon at all. I work for two boarded surgeons and one of them is from Ross and they are both exceptional. I think it really depends on how you take it. I applied last year to my state school only and was waitlisted. I have applied to many this year, but find that if I don't get in, Ross is a good alternative to meet my needs. Whatever works for you, I think you should go for it. It does have some drawbacks as to additional testing but I think if you have the right mindset and are a good, diligent student, then you are fine. Best of luck to you. I believe the educational process is what you make of it. However, I do think think you should try instate if you can, then try the alternative...Just my opinion...Best of luck to you!:)

In addition to the NAVLE, there are two certification programs for graduates of non-accredited veterinary schools, the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) and the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE). I believe this currently applies to Ross grads.

I don't know anything about Ross, but I know a few vets who graduated from vet schools overseas (areas in Europe and Asia) and they found it very hard to do all of the things necessary to practice in the US. First of all, not only are there additional steps, but they told me that those additional exams are very pricey (thousands of dollars, maybe even as high as $8-10K, but my memory might be foggy). They had ended up going into research instead, because they found the path to US clinical work as an overseas educated vet too hard. Just something to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thank you both for the info!

This has maybe been addressed before, so please let me know if it has! All I can find in the archives is information about the medical school at Ross, not the vet school.

Thanks.

Ross Veterinary School has been discussed many, many times here. At least twice in the past year, probably more. Perhaps you need to search the pre-vet archives, not the medical archives.

Hey there. Regarding the extra tests Ross grads need to take... They now are now having student take the PAVE in 6th semester. This test covers many states in the U.S. (can be googled for the actual list). If the state you wish to practice in is not covered than the NAVLE must be taken after graduation.
What state do you live in?