Rotations~Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryazn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about all this stuff with DO schools and their clinical rotation sites. A good amount of DO students take the USMLE and match at ACGME residencies. I'm pretty sure these DO students didn't do their elective rotations at these ACGME affiliated hospitals and they still ended up matching to these residencies. So in the end, does it even matter where you do your rotations if your planning on matching at ACGME residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

You can, and people do, take rotations at ACGME hospitals where they plan on applying to residency. It's called an audition rotation and they take place during fourth year. You don't necessarily need to have had a rotation at hospitals you plan on applying to but it can be very helpful.

I was thinking about all this stuff with DO schools and their clinical rotation sites. A good amount of DO students take the USMLE and match at ACGME residencies. I'm pretty sure these DO students didn't do their elective rotations at these ACGME affiliated hospitals and they still ended up matching to these residencies. So in the end, does it even matter where you do your rotations if your planning on matching at ACGME residencies?

As was said in the previous post most people do an audition rotation close to the match so that way the program has a better impression of them when it comes down to match time.

In my opinion where you do your rotations at matters. If you don't care where you go then its not that big of a deal, for competitive residencies and residencies close to where you want to live, rotating at a site is key to putting your best application forward to that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure these DO students didn't do their elective rotations at these ACGME affiliated hospitals and they still ended up matching to these residencies.

It depends on the specialty however I'm positive a lot of them did auditions at said ACGME programs.

It depends on the specialty however I'm positive a lot of them did auditions at said ACGME programs.
Is an audition rotation one of the electives you can do during yrs 3 and 4?

Why do DOs want to match in ACGME residencies? what's wrong with residencies that are DO only?

I understand DOs can compete in both the AOA match and ACGME match, but why would they opt to take the COMLEX and USMLEs??

Why do DOs want to match in ACGME residencies? what's wrong with residencies that are DO only?

I understand DOs can compete in both the AOA match and ACGME match, but why would they opt to take the COMLEX and USMLEs??

There aren't enough DO residencies for DO students. Also, some specialties are not offered as DO residencies... And location

Can anyone else elaborate on this?

• There are states that have no DO residencies, so if you want to be there, you have to go AGCME.
  • There are specialties where you would probably stand a better chance trying to match DO, but there are also specialties with no AOA residencies. In the latter case, you have to go AGCME.
  • If you want to practice in some foreign countries (including places as similar to here as Ontario), you have to do an AGCME-accredited residency (AOA not accepted)
  • Although many AGCME program directors are happy to accept COMLEX scores, many are not. If you are applying to a residency that doesn't usually take DO's or is in a state with few practicing DO's, it might be a good idea to applying with a USMLE score.

• There are states that have no DO residencies, so if you want to be there, you have to go AGCME.
  • There are specialties where you would probably stand a better chance trying to match DO, but there are also specialties with no AOA residencies. In the latter case, you have to go AGCME.
  • If you want to practice in some foreign countries (including places as similar to here as Ontario), you have to do an AGCME-accredited residency (AOA not accepted)
  • Although many AGCME program directors are happy to accept COMLEX scores, many are not. If you are applying to a residency that doesn't usually take DO's or is in a state with few practicing DO's, it might be a good idea to applying with a USMLE score.

This is pretty much what I was looking for, makes a lot more sense now. thanks!!:D

I would also say that a good number of those students applying ACGME rotated at some of their top choice programs. I did an IM sub-I month at an allopathic IM program and it was definitely helpful. In most cases, just your personality and work ethic can be some of the most important factors when it comes time to a program ranking you (all other things being equal). So if you spent a month working alongside their residents and attendings and were well likes then that alone can go a LONG way. I received several comments from residents and the faculty/admin on the service that they'd really enjoy working with me if I chose that program.