Ruling Out East Coast Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of these schools should I apply to?

• UPENN

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • PITT

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Tufts

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Temple

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • NYU

• VCU

• UCLA

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • UCSF

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
D

deleted675533

Hey all,

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I'm figuring out which schools to rule out. I'm a Washington resident, 3.7 oGPA (significant positive trend), 3.85 sGPA, 100+ shadowing, 700-800 volunteer hours, etc. Haven't taken the DAT yet. I'll be applying to a lot of Western US schools, along with a couple in the Midwest and east coast. However, I'm still debating whether or not to apply to the following:

UPENN
PITT
Ohio State
Tufts
Temple
NYU
VCU

I've heard great things about these schools, and I think my stats are decent enough to be fairly competitive (obviously haven't taken the DAT yet). After looking at some of the statistics, it seems like these schools accept mostly students from the eastern US. Coming from the west coast, do you think is worth applying to these programs? If so, which do you say I have a decent chance at getting an interview?

Also, while we're on the subject, I don't have residency in California, but how much could it help me that I was born there and lived there for over a decade? With my stats and residency, is it even worth applying to UCLA or UCSF?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't really say much without a DAT...

Being a west coaster will have no influence on your chances at any of the east coast schools listed. I interviewed at a number of the schools you mentioned and there were a handful of west coasters at each of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar stats. Waitlisted at UW in at VCU

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't taken the DAT yet.
You need DAT scores for anyone on SDN to guess at your chances. Right now your other stats are good. With a really good DAT score like a 21 AA you could apply anywhere you want that isn't preferential to in-state applicants. I'd focus on the Western schools that would offer you in-state tuition though (I know some dental schools do the WICHE states preference thing). Cost is most important since you can't bank on HPSP or NHSC.
I don't have residency in California, but how much could it help me that I was born there and lived there for over a decade?
If you're not a legal resident your past residence won't help.

Take the DAT, then come back with this question.

Reactions: 1 users
if you have +20AA/Sci, i'd take out Tufts, NYU, add in UB, Rutgers and Uconn.

Focus on your Dat now, the higher you get, the more picky you get to be!

Don't rule out anything just yet!

Hey all,

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I'm figuring out which schools to rule out. I'm a Washington resident, 3.7 oGPA (significant positive trend), 3.85 sGPA, 100+ shadowing, 700-800 volunteer hours, etc. Haven't taken the DAT yet. I'll be applying to a lot of Western US schools, along with a couple in the Midwest and east coast. However, I'm still debating whether or not to apply to the following:

UPENN
PITT
Ohio State
Tufts
Temple
NYU
VCU

I've heard great things about these schools, and I think my stats are decent enough to be fairly competitive (obviously haven't taken the DAT yet). After looking at some of the statistics, it seems like these schools accept mostly students from the eastern US. Coming from the west coast, do you think is worth applying to these programs? If so, which do you say I have a decent chance at getting an interview?

Also, while we're on the subject, I don't have residency in California, but how much could it help me that I was born there and lived there for over a decade? With my stats and residency, is it even worth applying to UCLA or UCSF?

Thanks!

can't help you without seeing a DAT score

Hey all,

UPENN
PITT
Ohio State
Tufts
Temple
NYU
VCU

Thanks!

You need to take the DAT but I would apply to Penn and Ohio State at the minimum, DAT willing. Maybe Louisville as well.

You need DAT scores for anyone on SDN to guess at your chances. Right now your other stats are good. With a really good DAT score like a 21 AA you could apply anywhere you want that isn't preferential to in-state applicants. I'd focus on the Western schools that would offer you in-state tuition though (I know some dental schools do the WICHE states preference thing). Cost is most important since you can't bank on HPSP or NHSC.

If you're not a legal resident your past residence won't help.

Take the DAT, then come back with this question.

Focus on your Dat now, the higher you get, the more picky you get to be!

Don't rule out anything just yet!

can't help you without seeing a DAT score

Thanks for the replies! I understand that a DAT score is necessary to give a more accurate guess, but I will be applying a couple of weeks before I take the DAT. I'm sure some of you would advise against that, but it's a risk that I've calculated and decided to take. By the time I take the DAT, I'll have studied for it for 6 months (including the last two months of 10 hours a day study), so hopefully I will be prepared! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the replies! I understand that a DAT score is necessary to give a more accurate guess, but I will be applying a couple of weeks before I take the DAT. I'm sure some of you would advise against that, but it's a risk that I've calculated and decided to take. By the time I take the DAT, I'll have studied for it for 6 months (including the last two months of 10 hours a day study), so hopefully I will be prepared! Thanks for all the input everyone!

youll do great. good luck!!!

I applied before I took my DAT, you'll be fine as long as you do well