This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school do you think would be better to attend in the long run?

• Ross University School of Medicine (RUSM)

• University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)

Results are only viewable after voting.

RoyallyMedical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I've got a decision to make on which Caribbean medical school to attend. I would really appreciate any input one may have regarding attendance of either of these schools. Of course, the final decision will be made by my family and me. However, I want to gather as many perspectives as possible. I've made a list of my own pros and cons regarding each school.

RUSM
Pros
•Well known
•Ability to practice in any of the 50 states
•Access to US federal loans
•Core clinical rotation track
•Support for URM students

Cons
•Expensive tuition
•Repetition of entire semester as opposed to the failed class only

UMHS
Pros
•Affordable tuition
•Low attrition rate
•Personalized learning
•Dedicated term for USMLE prep
•KAPLAN review course

Cons
•No US federal loans
•Not as well known

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SGU or Ross should really be your only contenders. The reasons for this are many and myriad, but suffice it to say that overall these are the two schools that will maximize your chance at obtaining a US residency. At this stage in your career, nothing else matters significantly.

Reactions: 1 users
SGU or Ross should really be your only contenders. The reasons for this are many and myriad, but suffice it to say that overall these are the two schools that will maximize your chance at obtaining a US residency. At this stage in your career, nothing else matters significantly.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. Getting a US residency is the ultimate goal after all, and I do want to maximize that chance for myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe use some of your own judgement on this. You’re choosing between a school with a 40 year track record of placing people in residency vs a relatively unknown school with no real track record. The choice is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Since you listed UMHS has a low attrition rate- care to share what the attrition rate at UMHS is compared to Ross? I am asking because the exact numbers are pretty well hidden in the caribbean medical school "business." Even if they tell you an attrition rate, they are usually very heavily tweaked. Also, why not Saba? If you were not accepted to SGU, which I hope you at least applied, try Saba (low cost) and much more well known and legit than UMHS.

Since you listed UMHS has a low attrition rate- care to share what the attrition rate at UMHS is compared to Ross? I am asking because the exact numbers are pretty well hidden in the caribbean medical school "business." Even if they tell you an attrition rate, they are usually very heavily tweaked. Also, why not Saba? If you were not accepted to SGU, which I hope you at least applied, try Saba (low cost) and much more well known and legit than UMHS.
According to UMHS, its attrition rate is 4%. I am not sure how accurate that is. Most Caribbean medical schools do not even disclose their attrition rate, let alone use it as an advertising and selling point to recruit students to their school. If UMHS's true attrition rate is far higher than 4%, that's a major red flag :sendoff:. Ross University did not disclose its own attrition rate, however, I found online that it had an attrition rate of 20-27% in 2013. This figure seems to check out with the number of students Ross admits compared to the number of students that complete the program and gain residency.

I am considering UMHS because I have a friend who currently attends UMHS and they have only good things to say about it. I don't know much about Saba and am less inclined to consider it if I can't get an insider's perspective on the Saba experience. Plus, it seems like they also have a high attrition rate. I also did not consider SGU for its own high attrition rate and high tuition cost.

According to UMHS, its attrition rate is 4%. I am not sure how accurate that is.
You need to be quite specific when asking about attrition. You don't know how they are defining it.
Ask them what percent of those that matriculate, match in 4 years. 4% is not plausible.
Ask them how long, on average, it takes a matriculant to pass step 1.
Ask them how many fail to match in any given cycle.

Short of that, ask them how many 1st year students they enroll (or ask your friend the size of the first year class on day one). That way you can estimate based on the (unsubstantiated) match list they provide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You need to be quite specific when asking about attrition. You don't know how they are defining it.
Ask them what percent of those that matriculate, match in 4 years. 4% is not plausible.
Ask them how long, on average, it takes a matriculant to pass step 1.
Ask them how many fail to match in any given cycle.

Short of that, ask them how many 1st year students they enroll (or ask your friend the size of the first year class on day one). That way you can estimate based on the (unsubstantiated) match list they provide.
An admissions director told me that their attrition rate consists of those that failed or have been academically dismissed. My friend said that there are about 85 students in the January class. And that last fall there were 239 students entering. Looking at their 2019 match list, it does not look like students gain residency in four years, if even that. But the admissions director also told me that they have an influx of students transferring into their program from other Caribbean medical schools.

An admissions director told me that their attrition rate consists of those that failed or have been academically dismissed. My friend said that there are about 85 students in the January class. And that last fall there were 239 students entering. Looking at their 2019 match list, it does not look like students gain residency in four years, if even that. But the admissions director also told me that they have an influx of students transferring into their program from other Caribbean medical schools.
If they would lie to you about attrition now, imagine what they will do once you are trapped there.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah theres no way in hell their attrition rate is 4%. And if it is, it means either their exams are too easy (which is not good for getting you ready for step 1) or they set their passing scores really low (which also, isn't good for getting you ready for step 1).

And I doubt UMHS accepts students such high quality that their attrition rate is lower than some US schools.

If they would lie to you about attrition now, imagine what they will do once you are trapped there.
Yeah theres no way in hell their attrition rate is 4%. And if it is, it means either their exams are too easy (which is not good for getting you ready for step 1) or they set their passing scores really low (which also, isn't good for getting you ready for step 1).

And I doubt UMHS accepts students such high quality that their attrition rate is lower than some US schools.
Yeah, I was hoping that the admissions director would give me more insight into that attrition information. My thinking is that they calculate that number by canceling out the real attrition rate with the influx of transfer students coming in from other Caribbean medical schools. Just my speculation. Either way, it's not a good look. Plus, I'm leaning towards Ross anyway. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. Everyone brings up good points.

Reactions: 1 user