RVC c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathers0101

Reaction score
Hi Guys! There wasn't an RVC thread, only one for UK hopefuls. I figured I would start one! I just accepted my conditional offer. So excited! We are moving from NJ to London, probably mid-late August. Anyone accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m planning on most likely visiting in early March and then I’ll probably accept, I just need to see how difficult it will be to find private pet friendly housing (moving with my cat) and also I want to talk to current students:) so we may be future classmates!

I put in my acceptance this week. Now I just need to get finances in order. Canadian government loans go out based on how much school would cost here. So they only cover a third of tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted my conditional offer and can't wait to move and FINALLY start vet school! ITS HAPPENING GUYS! AHHHHH!

How many of you are planning on doing private accommodation vs the dorms??

How many of you are planning on doing private accommodation vs the dorms??

My fiancé and I are moving with six cats (yes I know ‍♀️) so we will also be seeking private accommodation. Most likely going to look around potters bar for a house for rent and then commute into London. It seems to be more affordable out that way as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm planning on staying in the dorms! I'm from California so I have no idea about different accommodations and thought it would be safer/ easier to be in the dorms!

My fiancé and I are moving with six cats (yes I know ‍♀️) so we will also be seeking private accommodation. Most likely going to look around potters bar for a house for rent and then commute into London. It seems to be more affordable out that way as well.

6 cats?! God bless you that’s going to be expensive lol. I’m moving two dogs to Australia (have to deal with fun quarantine stuff) and just the two of them is a hefty price tag.

6 cats?! God bless you that’s going to be expensive lol. I’m moving two dogs to Australia (have to deal with fun quarantine stuff) and just the two of them is a hefty price tag.

Ya it’s quite expensive lol. But I can’t go without them lol and the UK is annoying with their regulations

Well I've worked out the costs and it looks like RVC is going to work out in the end.

What does everyone want to do? I'm so excited to finally be on the way to becoming a vet!

Hey guys! Just received my offer today... I'm so excited!! I think I'm going to try to make a visit over there in March and then hopefully accept!

Reactions: 1 users
I got my offer too!! (It’s for the 5 year program due to missing a prerequisite)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anyone not hear back yet after their interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone not hear back yet after their interview?
I haven’t yet! Apparently we have all the way up through mid February to hear back.

It's also in the Applicant Handbook we got during the interviews! On the timeline, it says applicants will be notified about decisions from December to February! :) So fingers crossed!!!

Anyone have any idea how many international students are accepted into the program each year?

Anyone have any idea how many international students are accepted into the program each year?

Most of the graduate year is made up of international students. I think my year (last year) had maybe 10 Brits and the rest foreign. The 5 year have a lot more students and a lot more kids from the UK than international.

Most of the graduate year is made up of international students. I think my year (last year) had maybe 10 Brits and the rest foreign. The 5 year have a lot more students and a lot more kids from the UK than international.

How many total in the graduate program?

How many total in the graduate program?

There are around 100. Then the next year you join the regular BVetMed at 3rd year and they have about 200. So after 1st year it is a big class.

Just got my acceptance via email at 10:40am CT!

There are around 100. Then the next year you join the regular BVetMed at 3rd year and they have about 200. So after 1st year it is a big class.

Thanks for the response! I am wondering how you like the course structure?

Do you like how exams are only held once per year per class or do you prefer the standard North American, test you all day every day kind of thing?

Just received my acceptance letter! Now the hard decision part begins

Just received my acceptance letter! Now the hard decision part begins
01B13401-B5A8-4CD5-8A5F-812A3E28BCC5.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the response! I am wondering how you like the course structure?

Do you like how exams are only held once per year per class or do you prefer the standard North American, test you all day every day kind of thing?

I actually like only having one set of exams a year. In the graduate year you have two multiple choice exams in December and March(worth 5%) so you get a taste of RVC MCQs; then there are the real 4 days of exams are in June. They give you 3 weeks off to study though. I felt like I remembered more overall than being tested and forget it after the semester. Also the only needing a 50 to pass is nice.

Lots of things at RVC are frustrating and they have an overall lack of organization as group. No one will be able to tell you anything ahead of time. Then you also have to count in AHEMS and EMS. AHEMS suck. They are fun sometimes in the moment, but often you have to pay to stay somewhere for two weeks while you work for free on a farm. And that is all on your breaks. I start EMS in 2 months, and I am fairly excited for that, but you also have to pay for accommodation on many of those and it takes up most of your break. You have to factor in the extra costs, plus the cost of giving up summer jobs unless you want to squeeze in your EMS on Easter like I did so you can work in the summer.

I agree with SkiOtter, don't come here if it is more expensive than a US option. It was the same price or cheaper than my options so that is my main reason for being here. Unless you know you want to practice in the UK, EU, or Australia-- which I couldn't even if I wanted to because vets here don't even make enough per year to cover my loan payments--go to the cheapest school.

I actually like only having one set of exams a year. In the graduate year you have two multiple choice exams in December and March(worth 5%) so you get a taste of RVC MCQs; then there are the real 4 days of exams are in June. They give you 3 weeks off to study though. I felt like I remembered more overall than being tested and forget it after the semester. Also the only needing a 50 to pass is nice.

Lots of things at RVC are frustrating and they have an overall lack of organization as group. No one will be able to tell you anything ahead of time. Then you also have to count in AHEMS and EMS. AHEMS suck. They are fun sometimes in the moment, but often you have to pay to stay somewhere for two weeks while you work for free on a farm. And that is all on your breaks. I start EMS in 2 months, and I am fairly excited for that, but you also have to pay for accommodation on many of those and it takes up most of your break. You have to factor in the extra costs, plus the cost of giving up summer jobs unless you want to squeeze in your EMS on Easter like I did so you can work in the summer.

I agree with SkiOtter, don't come here if it is more expensive than a US option. It was the same price or cheaper than my options so that is my main reason for being here. Unless you know you want to practice in the UK, EU, or Australia-- which I couldn't even if I wanted to because vets here don't even make enough per year to cover my loan payments--go to the cheapest school.

Thanks! I also think that the once a year exams would be great for me. I'm pretty good at self-motivating and always thought that the huge breaks for studying in undergrad and grad school were too long anyway for a semester.

I am also getting the feeling about the organization kind of stuff as well. I really do love the whole idea of EMS though.

And I am actually Canadian, so even the cheapest US school is about 4 times the cost of Canadian schools. It is just that in Canada we can only apply to our provincial school (in-state essentially). So for the 10 provinces and 3 territories in Canada there are 5 veterinary schools (2 of which are shared by 3 Western provinces, and 4 Atlantic provinces respectively.)

I essentially got tired of waiting... But yeah the income tax in the UK is huge too - something like 40% after 40 k GBP which is not a lot of money to be getting taxed that heavily on.

Well... Made the decision and accepted. RVC was one of my top choices and comparing cost for the other school (all US out of state) it is comparable and even a little less. Thanks to everyone on this site for advice, recommendations etc. I am going in with eyes wide open.

Questions foe those going... What are you looking at for housing? I have a cat that I would like take. Anyone looking for roommates or have recommendations?

Well... Made the decision and accepted. RVC was one of my top choices and comparing cost for the other school (all US out of state) it is comparable and even a little less. Thanks to everyone on this site for advice, recommendations etc. I am going in with eyes wide open.

Questions foe those going... What are you looking at for housing? I have a cat that I would like take. Anyone looking for roommates or have recommendations?

You're not going to regret that. It's really a no brainer to get to experience a new culture, go to one of the most recognized colleges in the world, and have it cost less than an American school.

I wish it was as simple of a decision for me! See you there!

Congrats its a great decision!! I'm in the exact same boat and got accepted to out of state schools wayyy more expensive than RVC and RVC has been my top choice for a while. I am visiting RVC in March and I will most likely accept then.I'm also planning on bringing my cat and am looking into private housing you can message if ya wanna chat about it!

Congrats! My fiancé and I are taking 6 cats ‍♀️ we are looking to live in Hertfordshire and take the train into London. There are a lot of reasonably priced flats and semi-detached houses for rent around there. We are looking at a 2-3 bedroom. I understand most are. Or looking for this option however there were a TON of listings for student housing so I’m sure you’ll be able to find something affordable.

Do you guys know when we will be notified about the international scholarship or application for it??

Does anyone know if the tuition cost goes up each year or if its set?

Do you guys know when we will be notified about the international scholarship or application for it??
You are automatically considered when you are accepted and if you are in the running they notify you.

Does anyone know if the tuition cost goes up each year or if its set?

Yes it does. From my experience about 1000GBP a year.

I am currently doing my first year here, feel free to post here or message me if you have questions!

I hope you are all enjoying the tours! I feel like I am in a fishbowl studying on campus :laugh:

I wasn't able to go to the offer- holder day at RVC (I'm an international student), but to those that went- what were your impressions and opinions on the school, students, campus, etc?

Does anyone know when RVC’s start date is? I emailed them and they replied, “Term dates are not confirmed, we will let you know by Spring”. Do any current students at least have experience with when the start date usually is? Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when RVC’s start date is? I emailed them and they replied, “Term dates are not confirmed, we will let you know by Spring”. Do any current students at least have experience with when the start date usually is? Thanks.

I'd get to London by mid-september latest. For me this year it was 2 weeks of orientation and 1st day of school started October 1st if i remember correctly.

I'd get to London by mid-september latest. For me this year it was 2 weeks of orientation and 1st day of school started October 1st if i remember correctly.
This is helpful, thank you. They had mentioned mid-September start and orientation weeks while at the interview, but I couldnt tell if mid-Sept was the start of classes or the start of orientation.

Is this for both the 5 and 4 year program?

Is this for both the 5 and 4 year program?

Yea, we started the same date this year anyways.
I am on the 4 year, met a lot of people on the 5th year and was bummed cuz when school started we dont have any class together haha.

Yea, we started the same date this year anyways.
I am on the 4 year, met a lot of people on the 5th year and was bummed cuz when school started we dont have any class together haha.

Oh okay thanks! When do they send out an email about orientation?

Oh okay thanks! When do they send out an email about orientation?

Dont remember but dont worry about it, its 2 weeks of stuff, 1st week to get the international students settled in, 2nd week is when the UK students mingle in the orientations.

Hi everyone! I just accepted my offer today for the 5 year program :cat: Congratulations to everyone else who has accepted as well! I currently live in NJ and interviewed in Philly last fall if anyone else was there. I visited both campuses at the beginning of March and absolutely loved them! I am currently looking into private housing as I plan on moving over with both my cat & dog (both get along with other cats/ dogs). Has anyone created a FB page so far for incoming students? If anyone else is looking into private housing/ needs a roommate lmk!

Hi everyone! I just accepted my offer today for the 5 year program :cat: Congratulations to everyone else who has accepted as well! I currently live in NJ and interviewed in Philly last fall if anyone else was there. I visited both campuses at the beginning of March and absolutely loved them! I am currently looking into private housing as I plan on moving over with both my cat & dog (both get along with other cats/ dogs). Has anyone created a FB page so far for incoming students? If anyone else is looking into private housing/ needs a roommate lmk!

Hi there! Also from NJ and moving over with pets. There’s a couple of FB groups that RVC creates for international offer holders and for general offer holders.

Hi there! Also from NJ and moving over with pets. There’s a couple of FB groups that RVC creates for international offer holders and for general offer holders.

If you guys are looking for private housing make sure you join the RVC Hub because tons of people post when they are moving out of places. Especially pet friendly places.

Be very careful when renting, I would check out some of the school's resources to avoid scams because there are a lot of scams and stuff who have 6 months rent up front... Just be careful if anything seems too perfect or shady in London, it seems to be super prevalent here--even one of my classmates had it happen to her.

Just turned down my spot on the 4 year course for anyone waitlisted!

I am currently doing my first year here, feel free to post here or message me if you have questions!
Hey guys! I am teaching into the depths of SDNs forums to hopefully get some help! I was wondering if you or anyone on this thread could give me insight about traveling with a SO/spouse? The biggest concern we are running across is job prospects in London while I’m at school! Any and all advise is helpful!

also we would be taking our to kitty babies with us from the US so any insight on that is also appreciated 💕