RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats the class size going to be and will it be the same for this new cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the class size going to be and will it be the same for this new cycle?

Someone actually attending RVUCOM might correct me but I believe the class size is 150 for the inaugural class - and I haven't "heard" anything about the class size increasing anytime soon.

No one is actually attending RVU yet, gas. they have been accepted, but no one has actually started taking classes there yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* Yea, I'm aware of that - let me qualify that by saying "someone who will be attending in a matter of a few weeks". :D

Whatever dude. Your knowledge of the vista is clearly lacking.

Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry. Everyone who is wondering - The class size is 150 students and will remain the same for the new application cycle. :D

Thanks for it genIE. I'm considering rocky in the vista. I would love to live in colorado, denver. 150 sounds like pretty good odds for me :) I'm jsut dkidding guys. Thjanks.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:):):):)

can someone tell me the rvucom rotation sites?

can someone tell me the rvucom rotation sites?

I'm not sure if the list (below) that GG gave me some time ago includes those sites where the Univ of Colorado is transitioning to RVUCOM - but here's what I have nonetheless until GG stops in:

HealthOne
Rose Medical Center - Denver (Central)
Swedish Medical Center - Denver (Englewood)
Sky Ridge Medical Center - Denver (Lone Tree)
North Suburban Medical Center - Thornton
Medical Center of Aurora - Aurora
Centura
Parker - Parker Adventist
St. Anthony's (Central)- Denver (Central)
St. Anthony's (Summit) - Frisco
Platt Valley Medical Center - Brighton
Penrose - Colorado Springs
St. Thomas More - Canyon City
Porter - Denver (Central)
Littleton - Littleton

Memorial Health Care System - Colorado Springs
Community Hospital - Grand Junction
Parkview Medical Center - Pueblo
St. Mary Corwin - Pueblo

Level I 2
Level II 7
Level III 3
Level IV 4

By the way, nice to hear from you today GG! Hope all is well! :D

By the way, nice to hear from you today GG! Hope all is well! :D

Nice to stop in! I am now unemployed (by choice) and I have a little more free time to patrol. :smuggrin:

You are right about the rotation sites - the only addition that I am aware of is Denver Health. I am sure there are more, but I don't know them just yet. I will be sure to post as soon as I find out more (probably during orientation).

How are you, Gas? You miss me? I miss you too. :love:

Are you ready for classes to start?

How are you, Gas? You miss me? I miss you too. :love:

You better believe it! :biglove:

Are you ready for classes to start?

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I'm "retired" now as well and the books I've ordered are trickling in - and so is reality! I'm excited but things are moving so very fast. :eek: Time to just hold on... How are you doing with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question...

Does Rocky Vista have all their teaching faculty set up?

I'm looking at the faculty listing... and I don't see anyone for physio, neuroscience/neuroanatomy, psych, embryology or biostatistics.

Quick question...

Does Rocky Vista have all their teaching faculty set up?

I'm looking at the faculty listing... and I don't see anyone for physio, neuroscience/neuroanatomy, psych, embryology or biostatistics.

Yep, it's all in place and GG will likely clarify since she'll be matriculating. From what I gather, most of what you mention are subdisciplines covered by chairpersons and their associates; physio and neuro are covered by Drs. Buck and Putthoff as structural medicine for example. There's a new website format and based on my previous viewing (I've been watching the faculty roster), there have been many faculty additions (permanent faculty and some UofC adjunct) in the recent months. Impressive in my book with more to be added, sure. Also, you might have missed a few disciplines listed under "clinical medicine", possibly?

Hell, I'll just add the data so GG, the unofficial RVUCOM SDN ambassador *wink*, can expound:

Departments
Ronnie B. Martin, D.O., Dean/CAO

Biomedical Sciences

Stephen Putthoff, D.O., Associate Dean of Biomedical Sciences
Professor of Pathology

Krista Leary, Administrative Assistant

• Department of Patho-Physiology
Stephen Putthoff, D.O., Chair, Professor of Pathology
Carolyn Glaubensklee, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Barbekka Hurtt, Ph.D, Assistant Professor

• Department of Molecular & Cellular Sciences
Clarence Colle, Ph.D., Chair, Associate Professor of Microbiology
Duane Brandau, D.O., Ph.D., Associate Professor Biochemistry
Rebecca Bowden, Ph.D., Associate Professor Immunology
Frank Dailey, Ph.D., Associate Professor Biochemistry

• Department of Structural Medicine
Walter Buck, Ph.D., Chair, Professor of Anatomy
Cindy Funk, Ph.D., Assistant Professor Structural Medicine
Robert Ketchum, Ph.D., Associate Professor Structural Medicine

• Department of Pharmacology
Michael Martin, Ph.D., Chair, Professor of Pharmacology
Schoen Kruse, Ph.D., Assistant Professor Pharmacology

• Department of Library Services
Frank Ames, Ph.D., Chair, Professor of Library Sciences
Brian Schwartz, Assistant Librarian

• Department of R&D
Robyn Weyand, Ph.D., Director of R & D, Professor of Behavioral Medicine

Clinical Medicine
Greg Smith, D.O., Associate Dean of Clinical Medicine
Associate Professor of Family Medicine

Deb Bennett, Administrative Assistant
Monique McKenna, Administrative Assistant

• Department of Primary Care
Joseph Stasio, D.O., Chair
Laura A. Mohr, Ph.D., Assistant Professor Family Medicine

• Department of Family Medicine
Kelli Glaser, D.O., Assistant Professor Family Medicine
Matthew Harrison, D.O., Assistant Professor Family Medicine

• Department of Human Performance & Evaluation
Loretta Graham, Ph.D., Chair

• Department of Community & Rural Medicine
Camille Bentley, D.O., Chair

• Department of Neurology
William Grimes, D.O., Chair

• Department of Specialty Medicine
Thomas Mohr, D.O., Chair

• Department of Surgery
Bryan Mahan, D.O., Chair
Michael Tieman, M.D., adjunct

• Department of OMM/OPP
Eric Gish, D.O., Interim Chair

• Department of Radiology
Daniel Huddle, D.O., Co-Chair
Richard Grzybowski, D.O., Co-Chair

• DME
Steve Heinz, M.D., Denver-HealthONE
Ron Blonder D.O., Colorado Springs

You are right about the rotation sites - the only addition that I am aware of is Denver Health. I am sure there are more, but I don't know them just yet. I will be sure to post as soon as I find out more (probably during orientation).

Thanks for the clinical rotation list everyone - my list wasn't quite complete. I guess we'll get more info at orientation and ongoing. :thumbup:

Looking forward to getting started in a couple weeks - I think?! :eek: ;)

Anyone know how the waitlist movement here is going?

Sorry mcom, I don't have any info on the current waitlist. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there'd be much movement now with orientation in a couple weeks, but it's possible. I'd get in touch with Kerri, just ask for her when you call. She's great for that type of information.

On a separate note, did anyone make it to the ribbon cutting yesterday? All I can say is it was absolutely unbelievable! I was impressed beyond reason by the faculty and staff. The turnout and support of Denver metro and Parker physicians, as well as other key Denver metro public officials was very inspiring; the large auditorium that seats 500-600, was packed! The ceremony spear-headed by Dr. Smith and Dr. Ronnie Martin was very classy with a very fitting prayer followed by the National Anthem - beautifully sung I might add.

The weather in Parker, CO happened to be perfect and I was/am beyond impressed by med school facilties without a doubt. The technology and facilities are far superior. The faculty and staff are definitely living up to their promises and the rotations and residencies will soon fall into place without a doubt. I'm even more convinced now that the RVUCOM faculty and staff are very experienced and know how to reach their objectives, with student interests always on their minds. :thumbup:

Did anyone see that anatomy lab and hear Dr. Buck's presentation? He's very experienced and knowledgeable; he's going to be a great professor. Over 20 cadavers with two groups and never any more than 4 students per tank. There was also an anatomy theater to supplement the gross anatomy laboratory. The facilities were just amazing all-the-way-around, technology galore!

The OMM lab was equally as impressive and Dr. Gish is going to be a great professor as well. All of faculty seemed very passionate about their respective fields and are excited to teach. I think the integrated educational model (with structural combined with neuro for example) is going to be great and is the way educational models should be structured - PhDs and physicians collaborating and working together side-by-side instead of the separation by "invisible walls" I experienced as a researcher at other medical institutions. :thumbup:

As for other attendees, please feel free to post your thoughts of ribbon cutting ceremony!

....did anyone make it to the ribbon cutting yesterday? All I can say is it was absolutely unbelievable! I was impressed beyond reason by the faculty and staff. The turnout and support of Denver metro and Parker physicians, as well as other key Denver metro public officials was very inspiring....

I understand there was a senator, a couple of mayors and a flyover by the US Air Force as well.

One of the professors sent me a couple of pics from the Standardized Patient Clinic. The equipment isn't up yet, but all twenty exam rooms have OB/Gyn tables in place now:

exam1.jpg
exam2.jpg

And, there's a nice reception area for SPs and students to check in:

reception.jpg

And a few other cool things that I won't bore you with pictures of. They seem to be spending plenty on that aspect of your education.

:luck::luck::luck:

I understand there was a senator, a couple of mayors and a flyover by the US Air Force as well.

One of the professors sent me a couple of pics from the Standardized Patient Clinic. The equipment isn't up yet, but all twenty exam rooms have OB/Gyn tables in place now:

exam1.jpg
exam2.jpg

And, there's a nice reception area for SPs and students to check in:

reception.jpg

And a few other cool things that I won't bore you with pictures of. They seem to be spending plenty on that aspect of your education.

:luck::luck::luck:

Hey SCPOD - HAHA! - yes, there was a flyover. The senators and mayors were there too!

Thanks for posting the photos of the standardized patient rooms - there were MANY of them ( a whole wing) and the instructors, who handle the training as well as the hiring of patient actors, were present. I couldn't believe the lengths they'd go to to make the training realistic.

Did you happen to receive an photos of the OMM lab, the gross lab, or the auditoriums? I couldn't believe the capacity of the largest auditorium of about 550-600. There were also two other medium auditoriums, a gross anatomy theater, and many actual classrooms. The library was larger than I expected (to be filled next week) as well with a full-time staffed PhD in library sciences.

I knew the technology was going to be unrealistic and sure enough... it was over-the-top.

Anyway, if there are anymore photos floating out there, post them up!

I have a few photos.

Standardized Patient Wing:

6fe7da5b.jpg

One of the auditoriums:

0bdde04b.jpg

Portion of gross lab:

a3f7729c.jpg

Classroom:

23a47c7d.jpg

Portions of OMM:

82266f4c.jpg

a118218b.jpg

Hallways/Stairwells:

7fe248f3.jpg

b2279071.jpg

78d8eefa.jpg

One side of medical school:

103870ad.jpg

Last edited:
SCPOD, where exactly are you right now - finished with first year and reviewing for boards? Which boards? Also, what are you doing with internal medicine (IM?) right now based on your signature synopsis?

Has anyone received an invitation for the secondary application yet? Just curious because I haven't and I wondered if I should worry (ha ha ha). Thanks!!!

hahaha, im waiting too ;) good luck! I'll try and keep you posted if I hear anything

I have searched every way I know how, including mdapplicants.com

I am trying to find the stats for the entering class of 2008 for RVU. Do any of you who were accepted or interviewed care to disclose your stats or can post a link to a thread or website where I can find the info?

Thanks.

I have searched every way I know how, including mdapplicants.com

I am trying to find the stats for the entering class of 2008 for RVU. Do any of you who were accepted or interviewed care to disclose your stats or can post a link to a thread or website where I can find the info?

Thanks.

well, my guess is that it would be MCATs from 21-28ish and gpas from 3.25-3.9ish.... they didnt seem to release their information from this past year's class, so my advice would be to apply, dont stress about their numbers, and hope for the best! I doubt they are super high numbers anyway, just because the program is so new (PNWU was 25.45 MCAT & 3.45 GPA, around the middle of the road).

Last edited:

There was waitlist movement this week (week of 7/21) at RVUCOM. Orientation is Monday and classes officially begin on August 4th. The White Coat Ceremony is next Thursday.

As for stats, I think they are looking just as closely as the other schools at the individual and there is good amount of interest in Denver for medical training - thus a few more applicants than some newer schools IMO. There are also a number of well-suited people here on SDN who are matriculating at RVUCOM with competitive numbers, research publications, and graduate degrees. I took the MCAT a couple of times (and I'm glad it's over!) and finally scored >30 by a few some-odd points. My undergrad BCPM was ~3.4, my graduate was a ~3.6, and I have a decent amount of research experience.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle - and get everything turned around as quickly as possible so you can hit that interview trail! :D :luck:

Last edited:
I received my secondary last weekend and returned it to them on Thursday. I called them today, and now they have everything. So, let the waiting game begin. I wish you all the best of luck.

Can anybody tell me how long it takes for the AACOM application to be processed? And how long afterwards whould I be expecting a secondary? Thanks!

Can anybody tell me how long it takes for the AACOM application to be processed? And how long afterwards whould I be expecting a secondary? Thanks!

I got it pretty quick, i want to say within a week or two.