RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm suggesting that somehow you have picked up (and passed on) an unrealistic picture of the residency opportunities that will be available to you and other students in Colorado. My interest here is in assisting you to be clear about what you are getting into, and having realistic expectations.

We are all aware that 300 is a best case scenario, but we are not pulling these numbers from the forum, but rather from Dr. Smith and Dr. Martin.

"While performing an early analysis of Colorado's need for a medical school, RVUCOM representatives discovered a great deal of interest in GME, and we now believe that the school may be able to have more than 300 new intern and resident positions approved and funded in the state of Colorado." (http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/10/426)

None of us are suggesting that these GME positions are going to open up overnight, or even all be available by the time we enter the match, but we still trust that our faculty is doing everything in their power to achieve the stated goal.

We, as students, do not have the details to provide the forum about when and where, and we can only watch and wait as the program develops. Part of attending a new school is knowing that your future is still "in development". It doesn't mean that we are jumping in blind to the problems associated with new schools. Rotations and residency are important but right now the focus should really be starting school and getting through the first year.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree - and well-stated by the way. :thumbup:

I'm suggesting that somehow you have picked up (and passed on) an unrealistic picture of the residency opportunities that will be available to you and other students in Colorado. My interest here is in assisting you to be clear about what you are getting into, and having realistic expectations.

We are all aware that 300 is a best case scenario, but we are not pulling these numbers from the forum, but rather from Dr. Smith and Dr. Martin.

"While performing an early analysis of Colorado's need for a medical school, RVUCOM representatives discovered a great deal of interest in GME, and we now believe that the school may be able to have more than 300 new intern and resident positions approved and funded in the state of Colorado." (http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/10/426)

None of us are suggesting that these GME positions are going to open up overnight, or even all be available by the time we enter the match, but we still trust that our faculty is doing everything in their power to achieve the stated goal.

We, as students, do not have the details to provide the forum about when and where, and we can only watch and wait as the program develops. Part of attending a new school is knowing that your future is still "in development". It doesn't mean that we are jumping in blind to the problems associated with new schools. Rotations and residency are important but right now the focus should really be starting school and getting through the first year.

Dr. Smith and Dr Martin said that the residency positions will be finalized by the time we graduate (2012). The process has been going on since the school started back in 2005 so they have had, and will continue to have, plenty of time to finalize everything. I trust that they will have everything set up as planned.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who asked if RVU is still interviewing, I have a friend who just got an interview for next tuesday (4/22 I think).

For those who asked if RVU is still interviewing, I have a friend who just got an interview for next tuesday (4/22 I think).

Thanks for the update. Not sure anyone knew the status of interviews.

BTW - super nice GPA and good luck at SLU. :thumbup:

Anyone know if there are going to be workout facilities available at some point? If not, has there been any chatter about discounts for students at the Lifetime Fitness located nearby?

Anyone know if there are going to be workout facilities available at some point? If not, has there been any chatter about discounts for students at the Lifetime Fitness located nearby?

Hey Rabbit...when I interviewed, there was a plan to have a very limited workout area in the building. I'm not sure where that stands, or if there will be a discount to one of the local gyms.

There's no misinterpretation of what has been communicated from Dr. Smith and skepticism is healthy, without a doubt. :thumbup: However, I don't think suggesting that Dr. Smith and his faculty aren't doing the "work" required to generate these additional residencies is a bit premature.

I think the best approach would be to contact Dr. Smith or RVUCOM faculty directly (as I've already suggested) as opposed to contradicting pre-meds in a pre-medical forum; we simply don't have all the details and this residency creation is in the works and has been for some time. I have no reason to doubt the efforts of Dr. Smith and Dr. Martin based on their combined experience and regional influence. Just my opinion. If you're both truly that interested then I'd suggest going straight to the source.
Dude, ease up on the trigger-finger. If you read my previous posts in this thread, you would see that I am very supportive of you guys. I wish that the school had opened sooner, because then I would have had another chance to go to medical school in my home state.

I'm saying nothing about anyone's work ethic. I'm telling you that the money and effort required to generate that many spots (doubling those in CO, no less,) is monumental. A program opening up just one or two spots is news amongst PDs nationally. Residency spots are funded through Medicaid, so doubling the spots would require an overhaul of the state's health budget. CMS gives out ~$100k/resident, so we're talking $30M. Do you see that that level of effort required does not just extend to the Dean or local hospitals, but to state and national government?

Just like homeopathy, I just don't buy it prima facie. I'm not going to bother a Dean of a school for something that does not, and will not effect me.

...I'm suggesting that somehow you have picked up (and passed on) an unrealistic picture of the residency opportunities that will be available to you and other students in Colorado. My interest here is in assisting you to be clear about what you are getting into, and having realistic expectations...
These are my thoughts exactly. I have no interest beyond being supportive of you guys. Take my gestalt for what you paid for it: nothing. Instead of being offended or angry, use our doubt as a launching platform for your own investigation.

...Having just gone through the match with a very happy outcome, I know that as a premed I really had no idea what was involved in residency selection. It's great that you are thinking ahead and planning, because that process really should start in first year. Now we are just trying to help you understand your situation a little better...
Congratulations MeowMix. It is good to hear that things have worked out for you.

No trigger pulled. I think this topic has been addressed by subsequent posts; I stated that I could not provide any further information on this matter and I still say that the best source would be RVUCOM faculty. In addition, I regretted leaving you passers-by with more questions than answers with regard to the creation of residencies.

In the event it was overlooked, it was mentioned that the RVUCOM faculty have been working on the dual-accredited residency creation since 2005 and they will do so until we graduate in 2012. The difficulty of which the creation of said residencies is a separate matter all together and should be pursued elsewhere, perhaps with Dr. Smith directly; he's very approachable and open with his mission so personally, I don't see the problem in contacting him. I think that suffices for this discussion. :thumbup:

EDIT: Yes, no one is trying to sell you anything here. I, for one, do realize the political and financial requirements for such a "project". I also understand that Dr. Smith/Dr. Martin have been working at the local and state levels for some time (or so I read in an online article but cannot cite the source at the moment). From a student persepctive, I do think it's our responsiblity to investigate this matter and of course we will. As time marches on, I'm sure we will all have more information, that is once we actually set foot in the classroom and can interact more directly and regularly with our faculty. We simply need more time before we become privy to the tangibles. The only other source is Dr. Smith at the moment.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Hey Rabbit...when I interviewed, there was a plan to have a very limited workout area in the building. I'm not sure where that stands, or if there will be a discount to one of the local gyms.

Thanks for the info! I guess we're fortunate nonetheless to have a wide variety, including the great outdoors, for exercise options. :thumbup:

BTW MeowMix and RXNMan, I had no intention of coming across brusquely in my posts with regard to Colorado and regional residency creation. You both have been very supportive of our new school as well as our faculty's mission. For that we offer our thanks and I hope you both will continue to provide mentorship in the RVUCOM threads as we continue along our paths of becoming physicians. Your input is always appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks for the info! I guess we're fortunate nonetheless to have a wide variety, including the great outdoors, for exercise options. :thumbup:

That is a fact...I'm still trying to figure out a good route to ride a bicycle to school.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how many spots are left at rvu com?

anyone know how many spots are left at rvu com?

Last I heard, there were only a handful (less than 10). That being said, we are at the time of year when folks hold multiple acceptances and sort through what they will do. Did you interview? If so, when?

Hello! I will be joining the pioneers of RVU and from what I have read on this thread I am excited to meet you! It is going to be an exciting year, journey, etc. . The enthusiasm that is expressed in this thread shows that we will persevere, after all - we want to make a difference in the lives of others and this will be accomplished at RVU!! I am very excited to be taking on this new adventure, old one - I was a professional ballet dancer, but, is anyone nervous? I am out of state, but I look forward to meeting all of you. Happy hour is a must!!
Ciao!!
:zip:

Hello! I will be joining the pioneers of RVU and from what I have read on this thread I am excited to meet you! It is going to be an exciting year, journey, etc. . The enthusiasm that is expressed in this thread shows that we will persevere, after all - we want to make a difference in the lives of others and this will be accomplished at RVU!! I am very excited to be taking on this new adventure, old one - I was a professional ballet dancer, but, is anyone nervous? I am out of state, but I look forward to meeting all of you. Happy hour is a must!!
Ciao!!
:zip:

way to go kenya...welcome! It is just around the corner. Have you checked in at the facebook group yet?

Yes! I joined the facebook group! Challenge, Can you find me? I found you, I think!
Ciao!

Hint: Maybe look for the ballerina or Dave Matthews signature avatar? :cool:

Hint: Maybe look for the ballerina or Dave Matthews signature avatar? :cool:

Okay, so I may have given myself away (not sure about being an avatar, I am far from it!), however there are two former bun-heads entering RVUCOM! So let me restate the challenge, which one am I? ;)
Ciao!!

Okay, so I may have given myself away (not sure about being an avatar, I am far from it!), however there are two former bun-heads entering RVUCOM! So let me restate the challenge, which one am I? ;)
Ciao!!

Hey Kenya...I think you just gave it away..."Ciao"...

I got an email from one of gthem just the other day. She'll be in charge of the standard patient program, I believe. I was surprised to find that you guys would have 20 patient rooms and a simulator ward with 1 Harvey, 2 SimMans and 1 SimBaby to begin with. And, they'll be adding more as the number of students increases. So, they seem to be sparing no expense for you guys.

Nice! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey you, GG!

Gas!!!! I've missed you! What happened??? :confused:

Hey GG! The feelings are mutual. :biglove:

I did some time in the SDN penalty box for indirectly commenting on a passive-aggressive, uninformed tool in another thread. :beat: :bullcrap:

Totally worth it I might add. :smuggrin: :banana:

Hope you are doing well. :thumbup:

Hey! I haven't checked in on SDN for a while! Now I'm sitting at work procrastinating as much as I can, and it seems like the PERFECT time! I am so happy to see that we are going to have such a great class! And now that the white coat order forms are in and myVista is up and running, it is so much more exciting! I really can't wait to meet you all, and make some FANTASTIC new friends. You all seem so awesome and down to Earth! Anyways, just thought I would write you all and tell you that...kind of random...but that's me :eek:

Hey all!!
I know this is not an "interview" topic...but I am trying to be efficient and making sure everyone has access to this info...
So I work in a physician's office and our "computer guy" (yes, that is the official title) was in today and he is really quite fantastic. We were discussing the laptop requirements for the school and I found out he is able to personally/privately order them for much cheaper than even something like dell.com. So..... I figured I'd post his info due to the fact that we are all about to be ridiculously poor and can use all the help we can get. He really is quite brilliant and not the least bit slimy. His info:
Brian Brechtl
719-499-4897
[email protected]
Have a great day!!

Are you a RVU-COM student?

Based on a couple early posts, look like you might be a student... in that case, thanks for the lead.

I, for one, have already picked my laptop for school.
Thanks.

Hey all!!
I know this is not an "interview" topic...but I am trying to be efficient and making sure everyone has access to this info...
So I work in a physician's office and our "computer guy" (yes, that is the official title) was in today and he is really quite fantastic. We were discussing the laptop requirements for the school and I found out he is able to personally/privately order them for much cheaper than even something like dell.com. So..... I figured I'd post his info due to the fact that we are all about to be ridiculously poor and can use all the help we can get. He really is quite brilliant and not the least bit slimy. His info:
Brian Brechtl
719-499-4897
[email protected]
Have a great day!!

I just got an email from Rocky Vista today asking me to fill out a secondary application for their DO program. keep in mind today is may 2, 2008.
isnt this a bit late for them to even be requesting that their applicants fill out a secondary? my hope is that they liked my primary so much, they are pleading for me submit a secondary. that hope will probably be crushed if i find out everyone else (who hasn't already done so) got a plea to submit a secondary.
are they just collecting money...isnt the class filled already?

I just got an email from Rocky Vista today asking me to fill out a secondary application for their DO program. keep in mind today is may 2, 2008.
isnt this a bit late for them to even be requesting that their applicants fill out a secondary? my hope is that they liked my primary so much, they are pleading for me submit a secondary. that hope will probably be crushed if i find out everyone else (who hasn't already done so) got a plea to submit a secondary.

Remember, even if the class is filled, movement happens even into the first week of class as students switch schools, and get other acceptances. So if you really want to start this year, and can afford it, fill out the app.

It probably wouldn't hurt to call the school and ask about what their class status is and where on the waitlist you may end up.

Good luck to you!

random question.....i know its way way too late in the cycle, but i just received and automated email from RVCOM telling me to submit my secondary app information.....i guess i designated the school on AACOMAS, sent letters there etc but never followed through.
question- to submit my secondary now...would it just be a waste of money? anyone still interviewing there??
im accepted at a different school for this fall but I got this CO thing in my head now...

lol whoops....i didnt even see the post before me, guess theyre sending out the emails to make that $$$$$$$.... bling bling.

Hey Matt...how's the sunburn?:eek:

I wouldn't hesitate calling Kerri or Julie in Admissions and asking your questions directly. I know that RVU IS still interviewing candidates and that there is movement daily off the waitlist. If you can, and want, I would strongly encourage you submitting that secondary. It would be awesome having you as one of our inagural classmates! Hang in there and take care of your skin.:thumbup:

lol whoops....i didnt even see the post before me, guess theyre sending out the emails to make that $$$$$$$.... bling bling.

I wouldn't go that far...I think that RVU is interested in interviewing candidates who are looking at attending an awesome school with great people.:thumbup:

If you have questions, I would suggest contacting RVU directly and asking about the status of the class and waitlist movement.:thumbup:

Yeh I know, I just find it hard to believe they are still interviewing people and that there are any spots left (i mean come on, its CO lol)....but I will def. call the admissions office monday and see what the deal is.

Yeh I know, I just find it hard to believe they are still interviewing people and that there are any spots left (i mean come on, its CO lol)....but I will def. call the admissions office monday and see what the deal is.

I think that is the best plan...good luck!:luck:

Hey Matt...how's the sunburn?:eek:

I wouldn't hesitate calling Kerri or Julie in Admissions and asking your questions directly. I know that RVU IS still interviewing candidates and that there is movement daily off the waitlist. If you can, and want, I would strongly encourage you submitting that secondary. It would be awesome having you as one of our inagural classmates! Hang in there and take care of your skin.:thumbup:

ill call RVU monday.
the sunburn is just about completely healed up now. I am exercising again and im not even bothered by it. there is merely a slight discoloration still barely visible that only im capable of noticing now.
im off on another bike ride =]
**i dont know why, but im suddenly super stoked about all of us actually becoming docs! Ya, we got a ways to go...but for most everyone in this thread--CONGRATS!!! Im sure ill be in your company in no time soon**

ill call RVU monday.
the sunburn is just about completely healed up now. I am exercising again and im not even bothered by it. there is merely a slight discoloration still barely visible that only im capable of noticing now.
im off on another bike ride =]
**i dont know why, but im suddenly super stoked about all of us actually becoming docs! Ya, we got a ways to go...but for most everyone in this thread--CONGRATS!!! Im sure ill be in your company in no time soon**

Right on Matt! I'm glad to hear that you are healing up.

Call RVU...:luck::thumbup:

The reason that secondary requests are going out this late in the season is because they had the latest application cycle. Their requests for initial applications ended April 1st, so it should not be that big of a surprise that secondary requests are going out now. Most admins will have a set of applications that get a review every time they meet and and application requests are sent out every time there is wait list movement.

This is not unique to RVU, it's just part of the med school process.

Anyone know how many seats are filled up already?

anyone that has submitted their secondary application by using the online portal....what was the turn around time for RVCOM to let you know if you would be given an interview etc....
also if you know the direct extension to reach the admissions office.....i think 113 or 103?

Anyone know how many seats are filled up already?

I'd venture to guess the Class of 2012 is fairly complete but there may be some movement and they might very well still be interviewing for the waitlist. I'd give the admissions office a call. :thumbup:

anyone that has submitted their secondary application by using the online portal....what was the turn around time for RVCOM to let you know if you would be given an interview etc....
also if you know the direct extension to reach the admissions office.....i think 113 or 103?

As far as I'm aware, the website portal is exclusively for those who've been accepted and have been provided a login and password - I think? Maybe they've gone digital for all future secondary apps - if so that's news to me and that'd be record time.

I think that once you're invited to complete the secondary, you send it via mail - or at least I did. As for the time it took to receive notification and the secondary or supplemental via e-mail, I remember it as being a fairly quick turnaround (days) after they receive the initial AACOMAS application.

Just call the main line to get to admissions.

:thumbup:

Yeh now the secondary is online, and that is how I completed it. You can submit it via the portal and pay the 50 bucks that way...

I meant how long after you have ur file complete, secondary, letters, etc.....did it take for rvucom to get ahold of you to schedule your interview????

thanks

I'd venture to guess the Class of 2012 is fairly complete but there may be some movement and they might very well still be interviewing for the waitlist. I'd give the admissions office a call. :thumbup:

As far as I'm aware, the website portal is exclusively for those who've been accepted and have been provided a login and password - I think? Maybe they've gone digital for all future secondary apps - if so that's news to me and that'd be record time.

I think that once you're invited to complete the secondary, you send it via mail - or at least I did. As for the time it took to receive notification and the secondary or supplemental via e-mail, I remember it as being a fairly quick turnaround (days) after they receive the initial AACOMAS application.

Just call the main line to get to admissions.

Yeh now the secondary is online, and that is how I completed it. You can submit it via the portal and pay the 50 bucks that way...

I meant how long after you have ur file complete, secondary, letters, etc.....did it take for rvucom to get ahold of you to schedule your interview????

thanks

My turn-around time was less then a week of RVU receiving everything - However, every application is individual as is every person! Just hang in there! You never truly know how life will go until it does! I know the waiting is excruciating, goodluck! Ciao!

My turn-around time was less then a week of RVU receiving everything - However, every application is individual as is every person!

Same here but it could vary a bit depending on the point in the cycle. They are organized and on top of things, no doubt.