RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above for INTERVIEW DATES ONLY!. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own. If you are looking for the general discussion thread, please check here to find the appropriate thread.

WARNING: This thread is for current applicants to discuss the school. If you're interested in discussing your opinion on RVU, please post in this thread.
If you post in this thread to specifically bash the school, you will be warned and your post either deleted or moved to the other thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone got an interview here yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got one on the 25th. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

It's not done yet, im curious what the interview day is going to be like because the interview is at a temporary office.

It's not done yet, im curious what the interview day is going to be like because the interview is at a temporary office.

If their interview is anything like DCOM's was last year (when we had no building to walk thru, but we could see the construction site), then they will show you floorplans and what they plan on having in the building. They'll give you the general layout along with their basic science/clinical rotation cirriculum. You'll probably spend a lot of time looking at either powerpoints or posters too.

The school is situated in a great spot. There is a great backdrop of the mountains. It is absolutely enormous. Im sure it will be a state of the art facility. Interviewing tommorrow. I am very excited. The community is nice here most of it is new. So far this is an A+. Hope I get accepted.

The school is sitted in a great spot. There is a great backdrop of the mountains. It is absolutely enormous. Im sure it will be a state of the art facility. Interviewing tommorrow. I am very excited. The community is nice here most of it is new. So far this is an A+. Hope I get accepted.

Very nice. I am curious to see the progression of this school ( I have been very wary in the past, but now just want to give it the benefit of the doubt and fully hope that it's great). Make sure to keep us updated!!

Ok... can't resist... y'all know I love you. ;)

I, too, have been weary of reading all these threads of folks who are wary of the new RVU school. And while even if I were still in Colorado I would not be applying due to lack of financial aid, I am interested to see where this school goes. Time will tell.

Those who visit, please keep us updated.

And to the rest of you, I'm sure I've had plenty of posts where I haven't had enough coffee to properly control my grammar or spelling. Please be kind. :laugh:

Ok... can't resist... y'all know I love you. ;)

I, too, have been weary of reading all these threads of folks who are wary of the new RVU school. And while even if I were still in Colorado I would not be applying due to lack of financial aid, I am interested to see where this school goes. Time will tell.

Those who visit, please keep us updated.

And to the rest of you, I'm sure I've had plenty of posts where I haven't had enough coffee to properly control my grammar or spelling. Please be kind. :laugh:

Spelling fixed ... (have been up for countless hours straight studying )

Still not quite sure what was up with your post though??? Is my character being called into question for having my doubts about RVU? Because I don't think I'm alone in those feelings, and I have agreed to be civil in the future (because of fellow SDNers who are applying). Sorry for how 'tired' it makes you!! Hahaha

Jagger, more than a few folks have doubts about RVU and you are certainly not alone in that. I'm personally not thrilled about the prospect of a for-profit school of any kind. While I can certainly see it could work just fine, it also has temptation around every corner to make a ton of money and do just enough for the students so they "get by". Of course, it also has the potential of being able to pay for the best of the best. However, as I type this, I'm also not certain these problems aren't shared by start-up non-profit educational institutions as they struggle to raise funds to expand their educational and building capacity.

From what I hear, LMU-DCOM has done quite well and has recruited several outstanding faculty from other institutions. I hope RVU does the same.

So, those of you who have interviewed.... spill it! We're eager for news and impressions.

Jagger, more than a few folks have doubts about RVU and you are certainly not alone in that. I'm personally not thrilled about the prospect of a for-profit school of any kind. While I can certainly see it could work just fine, it also has temptation around every corner to make a ton of money and do just enough for the students so they "get by". Of course, it also has the potential of being able to pay for the best of the best. However, as I type this, I'm also not certain these problems aren't shared by start-up non-profit educational institutions as they struggle to raise funds to expand their educational and building capacity.

From what I hear, DMU has done quite well and has recruited several outstanding faculty from other institutions. I hope RVU does the same.

So, those of you who have interviewed.... spill it! We're eager for news and impressions.

I agree 100%. I have just made some statements about RVU in the past that I probably shouldn't have (with the information I had at the time), but I do share your opinions/mixed feelings on RVU. However ... I do feel that because people from SDN will be applying there, the mad rantings of people -such as myself- shouldn't make them feel uncomfortable about what they are doing, or make them hesitate from posting on the boards. With that said, I am going to sit back and give RVU the benefit of the doubt. I encourage all who are interviewing there to let us know what you think, and post your stats to try to get a better feel for the school. Going to medical school is a huge accomplishment, and I wish everyone involved with RVU the best.

The only reason I replied ShyRem was because I thought that I had said or done something offensive ... and if that is the case, I am sorry. However, I think you were just poking fun at my spelling mistake, which was very funny in retrospect, and I dish it out so I need to take it!!!
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

From what I hear, DMU has done quite well and has recruited several outstanding faculty from other institutions. I hope RVU does the same.

The financial aid issue is huge for me. By the way, I'm thinking you mean LMU-DCOM rather than DMU.

The financial aid issue is huge for me. By the way, I'm thinking you mean LMU-DCOM rather than DMU.

Yeah ... I assumed that's what was meant as well.

You bring up a great point about the financial aid aspect as well!!

Yeah ... I assumed that's what was meant as well.

You bring up a great point about the financial aid aspect as well!!

Yeah I was just thinking it's been a long time since DMU dealt with any of those issues. :p Honestly, although I'm apprehensive about the school I would have been willing to apply just to maybe give it a chance and see what it's about. Trying to get private loans and then more than likely pay higher interest rates for them is a deal breaker for me and especially my husband.

I have on one 11/15. Anyone else?

Any feedback from those who have already interviewed?

I am such a dork sometimes. Chalk one up to Pavlovian dog syndrome -- I think of an osteo school with a "d" in it and I automatically type DMU. DUH! Even worse, DCOM hired away our best anatomy prof so you'd think I got that one right. I do have a good reason, however: we ran out of coffee yesterday and the store was out of our favorite brand so we didn't buy any. Perhaps I should try thinking of it as LMU rather than DCOM.......

But back to RVU. Didn't people have interviews already? Where are they? As a former Coloradan, I'm particularly interested in where they have clinical rotations set up. Ok, maybe I'm just nosy about it. But still interested. :D

I am such a dork sometimes. Chalk one up to Pavlovian dog syndrome -- I think of an osteo school with a "d" in it and I automatically type DMU. DUH! Even worse, DCOM hired away our best anatomy prof so you'd think I got that one right. I do have a good reason, however: we ran out of coffee yesterday and the store was out of our favorite brand so we didn't buy any. Perhaps I should try thinking of it as LMU rather than DCOM.......
But back to RVU. Didn't people have interviews already? Where are they? As a former Coloradan, I'm particularly interested in where they have clinical rotations set up. Ok, maybe I'm just nosy about it. But still interested. :D

We prefer just DCOM :laugh:
And that anatomy prof is awesome, as well as the all-star cast. If you are even remotely thinking about RVU, apply to DCOM. I have my own feelings towards RVU - just think about the large question marks surrounding the school. Good luck!

i have an interview here on november 12th, just submitted my supplemental and got a call the day it was received. does anyone know how many are applying, and what my chances of getting in are? jetski--let me know how it goes.

I would be interviewing today, but I cancelled my interview due to Lecom-B acceptance.

I am guessing I will get an interview here so I have decided to hold off on sending out my secondary until the ski season gets fully under way. I mean, if I am going to pay for a plane ticket to get out there, might as well kick it with some friends. Has anyone interviewed here yet? Frankly, this school has a lot of things going against it, but I really don't care because I just want to learn medicine. However, the idea being the first class and really getting to know classmates and faculty (only 150 students at the school the first year) is a big turn on for me. I just wish they'd drop their tuition down to about 28k because it is a new school with credibility all resting on the first classes.

The interview went great. The interview committee was warm and welcoming. I was impressed by the experience of the faculty and I feel entirely confident that RVU will provide a great medical education. The school is huge and will be state of the art. The school is set in a great location with incredible views. RVU will face challenges as any new med school would but I feel the staff they have in place will be able to create an excellent medical school which will be higly regarded in the near future.

I am guessing I will get an interview here so I have decided to hold off on sending out my secondary until the ski season gets fully under way. I mean, if I am going to pay for a plane ticket to get out there, might as well kick it with some friends. Has anyone interviewed here yet? Frankly, this school has a lot of things going against it, but I really don't care because I just want to learn medicine. However, the idea being the first class and really getting to know classmates and faculty (only 150 students at the school the first year) is a big turn on for me. I just wish they'd drop their tuition down to about 28k because it is a new school with credibility all resting on the first classes.

I would advise against this. I'm big into ice climbing and would love to wait a while to submit my secondary to do some more out there. But, I anticipate that this school is going to have a whole ****ton of applicants and being on rolling admissions, it might be best to get your application in early.

Between their for-profit status, getting their accreditation late in the cycle, and lack of federal financial aid, they are going to get about 5 applications this year.

when i called to schedule my interview (which they do on mondays-thursday every week), they were booked up for a solid month. this has not been the case at the other schools i've gotten interviews with, which have wanted to set something up the next week.

Just got an interview for 11/15! They do have a spot open for 11/8 (just opened up), FIY.

I'm mailing my secondary today. What'd they say about housing in the area at the interview?

well I added them over the weekend, I'm applying broadly, I just don't want to have to go through the mcat again and reapply. I got a good number of secondaries returned last week so I'm really hoping to start hearing about interview invites this week or next.

Keep the comments coming. I also want to hear about the new school in CO for the reasons ShyRem stated.

Congrats to those who got an interview, and the best of luck.

I am done with my interview at Rocky Vista and it went great. I would like to start an interview thread for Rocky Vista in the interview section of SDN. Does anybody know how I can do that?

Can anyone give some insight into what their operation is all about? What kind of curriculum do they have? What are their affiliated sites for core rotations? Hell, I don't even know what city they're in.

I'm interested as well Tex. Also, to all of those who have interviewed, did anyone bring up the financial aid situation when you interviewed? I think that is probably the biggest concern for the school right now???

can anyone elaborate on the tuition/financial aid/loans situation everyone is worried about?? thanks

Tuition is about where everyone else's is these days -- 38K or so. but the big downside is that RVU students aren't eligible for federal financial aid (read: stafford loans) for the first two years. So students will have to pull private loans for the whole amount.

while the for profit thing does kind of red flag me a bit, i honestly don't see the difference between this situation and say touro nyc when it opened last year. except it accepted applications way later....and doesn't seem to be under the same amount of scruitiny.....

I interviewed on 10/25 and I was called with an acceptance the next day.

At that time, they had interviewed three sets of six applicants. I met with three professors for the school - 2 are transfers from Nova, and I'm not sure where the other is from. We also met the Dean of the School, the Dean of Biomedical Sciences, the Dean of Clinical Sciences, and the financial advisor. They gave many options for acquiring loans - private lenders and loan repayment. After 4 years, they will qualify as a federally supported student loan institution and the students can get federal loans.

Everything about the school is new and high-tech. The professors are D.O./M.D./Ph.D. transplants from other D.O./M.D. schools. I left with a really great feeling about the school.

From the list of applicants that received the matriculation agreement, 12 of the 18 that interviewed have been accepted.

I interviewed on 10/25 and I was called with an acceptance the next day.

At that time, they had interviewed three sets of six applicants. I met with three professors for the school - 2 are transfers from Nova, and I'm not sure where the other is from. We also met the Dean of the School, the Dean of Biomedical Sciences, the Dean of Clinical Sciences, and the financial advisor. They gave many options for acquiring loans - private lenders and loan repayment. After 4 years, they will qualify as a federally supported student loan institution and the students can get federal loans.

Everything about the school is new and high-tech. The professors are D.O./M.D./Ph.D. transplants from other D.O./M.D. schools. I left with a really great feeling about the school.

From the list of applicants that received the matriculation agreement, 12 of the 18 that interviewed have been accepted.

Thank you for the information and CONGRATS! :thumbup:

Well I decided to go all in and at least apply, do the secondary and see what happens. I live in Aurora CO and have been a Colorado resident for over 20 years. Needless to say, I would love to stay home. It would be cheaper than moving to Chicago, Arizona, Florida or just about anywhere else.
My stats aren't great (low MCAT) but I have 7 years of health care and great LOR's. My credit score isn't great either, so maybe if and when I interview, I can let you all know what is up with financial aid for me.
We will see what happens.

Hi Everyone,

I am interviewing on the 8th of November, anyone from here coming to CO that day?

Well I decided to go all in and at least apply, do the secondary and see what happens. I live in Aurora CO and have been a Colorado resident for over 20 years. Needless to say, I would love to stay home. It would be cheaper than moving to Chicago, Arizona, Florida or just about anywhere else.
My stats aren't great (low MCAT) but I have 7 years of health care and great LOR's. My credit score isn't great either, so maybe if and when I interview, I can let you all know what is up with financial aid for me.
We will see what happens.

I think as a CO resident with 7 years experience in health care, you should be a good applicant for RVU (or any DO program for that matter)!! I think just about all pre-meds in CO are glad to have another school instate, and best of luck to you and winged!!:thumbup:

I think as a CO resident with 7 years experience in health care, you should be a good applicant for RVU (or any DO program for that matter)!! I think just about all pre-meds in CO are glad to have another school instate, and best of luck to you and winged!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the love jagger! :biglove: I wish that I had felt that love from my schools so far. Out of 6 I have 1 reject post secondary, 2 on hold post secondary and 3 floating around waiting.
For sure though, I am stoked to have a DO school opening less than five miles from my house. Even if it is new, for profit, hard to fund, etc, I owe it to myself to at least check it out.:thumbup:

Hmmm so i'm curious as a future applicant next year. If some of you who have interviewed don't mind, would you share your stats with me? PM perhaps? Thanks!

Thanks JaggerPlate:luck::luck::luck::luck:to you and everyone who comes across this as well. I will post back with my impressions of the new school.

Stats anyone????

Sorry, dan1, I know you've asked a couple times. Here are my stats:

My ugrad science GPA was 3.56. My ugrad cum was 3.28. Double major in Biology & Chemistry. My grad GPA was 4.0 (M.S, Molecular Biology). I went to the University of Colorado for all of the above.

MCAT was BS: 10, PS 9, VR 10 - Writing Q. I am also 31 (non-traditional student)

I work at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center doing research. LOTS of D.O. shadowing (Ortho Surgeon), but they seemed really interested about my being a triathlete.

I would recommend that you apply - you seem very interested in the school.

Sorry, dan1, I know you've asked a couple times. Here are my stats:

My ugrad science GPA was 3.56. My ugrad cum was 3.28. Double major in Biology & Chemistry. My grad GPA was 4.0 (M.S, Molecular Biology). I went to the University of Colorado for all of the above.

MCAT was BS: 10, PS 9, VR 10 - Writing Q. I am also 31 (non-traditional student)

I work at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center doing research. LOTS of D.O. shadowing (Ortho Surgeon), but they seemed really interested about my being a triathlete.

I would recommend that you apply - you seem very interested in the school.

Seems like the type of canidate who would create postive results for RVU, and help dismiss some of the worries people are having with the school!! :thumbup:

Keep the stats coming!!!

I have an interview at RVUCOM on November 15th. I am SO excited! It would be SO nice to stay here in Colorado, and I hear that the school is AMAZING! I have been in touch with one of their admissions counselors and she has been BY FAR the nicest and most helpful one of any school I have been to so far. I have been accepted everywhere that I have interviewed so far (DMU, NYCOM, KCOM, AZCOM, Western, and LECOM-Erie), so I am feeling pretty confident going into it. Either way, it's my #1 choice. The dress code is a bummer, and there are some stupid rules (no food/drink in classes, etc.) but I can get past all that for a quality education. Ahhh, sacrifices... I'll let you all know how it goes! Does anyone know about their curriculum yet??

:)