RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to say I was accepted off of the "high" alternate list today! I am really excited!

For anyone who is curious, I got a 25O on the MCAT, 3.5 GPA, I have a PharmD degree and am a current practicing pharmacist. I know some people are curious about stats/application info of people accepted so hope this helps I guess...

Good luck to anyone still pursuing RVU!! look forward to meeting future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it Bones. I'm sure there are seats available. Good luck to you!

It's official, everyone, I've put down my first deposit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I heard while I was there that the new dean doesn't like the wait list so he just offered acceptances to 22 of the high alternates.

I really loved this school when i visited last week- It was very warm and friendly and all of the lectures halls and classrooms were awesome! Plus the area seems like such a great place to live- not too expensive and close to a ton of things! Here's hoping for a phone call next week!! :xf::xf:

I really loved this school when i visited last week- It was very warm and friendly and all of the lectures halls and classrooms were awesome! Plus the area seems like such a great place to live- not too expensive and close to a ton of things! Here's hoping for a phone call next week!! :xf::xf:

I agree! Were you in the dec 3 group?

Congrats to those that are in!That's great!......Any idea around how many they have accepted thus far?

Anyone get a phone call yet today?? I hate these phone call days they make me so anxious!

It's official! Sent in my matriculation agreement and initial deposit today! I look forward to seeing all the other Class of '14ers next year!

Got the accepted phone call Monday! I think this may be where I will end up :oops:) !!

What are the names of the apartments where most of the students live? And are there any favorites?

Got the accepted phone call Monday! I think this may be where I will end up :oops:) !!

What are the names of the apartments where most of the students live? And are there any favorites?

Congratulations! I would also like to know about the apartment situation. I was looking into some places in Parker, but they're like 10 - 15 min away from the school. Any suggestions?

Congratulations! I would also like to know about the apartment situation. I was looking into some places in Parker, but they're like 10 - 15 min away from the school. Any suggestions?

Email Zea! She has the master compilation list of apartments.

There are tons of apartments close to school. The 'dorms' are the Ranchstone/Cherrywood Apartments. (two names for the same apartments...they just call each half a different name) They are about 2 miles from school. Stone Canyon/Windrock (same story as above) are about 3 miles. Windsor at Meridian is about 3 miles also.

The list goes on. Ask about deals for RVU students because some places waive fees. Also, if you find a current student living there, you can use them as a referral and they get a bonus (up to $500)... which they would likely split with you.

Congrats to both of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a phone call yet today?? I hate these phone call days they make me so anxious!

Yes but it was late in the day so I had almost written it off, I almost drove off a cliff when the phone rang (I was driving home from another interview)!

Did you interview dec 3?

You can log on to MyVista and the list of apartments is there. Do many students live near central Parker?

Can some current RVU students weigh in on this discussion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=646402&page=3

Lots of RVU bashing going on in that thread and I'd like some inside opinions.

It's just a few frustrated people venting. While I agree that the AOA and COCA are far from perfect, they aren't going anywhere. It's true that the LCME won't accredit a for-profit school, but completely irrelevant through COCA.

I'm not sure why some people are so pissed about a for-profit school; especially since we're going to be making new residencies. Colorado needs more doctors, now it's getting them. Makes sense to me. I don't care about the politics as long as I'm getting my education.

Any specific problems or questions you want us to address?

We have finals until Monday, so people might be MIA til then.

Nah go focus on your finals I'll ask some more stuff after christmas when you guys have a second to breathe. Thanks for the reply tho I do appreciate it :)

I just got the accepted call today :D My choice is between lecom and rvucom... I think this decision is going to be a no brainer

Hi, does anyone have the URL for the RVU c/o 2014 facebook group? I've searched on there RVU and Rocky Vista and can't find it? Maybe I'm just a *****. Thanks!

Does anyone know when school starts? I'm trying to plan out the next year a bit.

Does anyone know when school starts? I'm trying to plan out the next year a bit.

I don't think the dates are set in stone yet, but in the past 2 years orientation week was the last week of July, and classes began in the first week of August.

However, there is a new Dean now, so there is a chance that may be different.

You might want to contact admissions or student services and see what they say.

Hey NeuroDok,

I have the same choices between schools and I was just wondering why you think it is a no brainer. Thanks.

you weren't talking to me but I got into AZCOM, SOMA, Western, and then canceled the rest of my interviews after being accepted to RVU. My choice was based purely on the way I felt at the school. As far as the statistics and networking capabilities go, western appears to be a better school and is located only 45 min from my house. However, I just felt like RVU is where I need to be, and hopefully they grow the way I think they will. They felt like they really had their act together, had nice facilities, great location and awesome student body. Either way, I'm going to be paid the same and enjoy my job.

I don't think the dates are set in stone yet, but in the past 2 years orientation week was the last week of July, and classes began in the first week of August.

However, there is a new Dean now, so there is a chance that may be different.

You might want to contact admissions or student services and see what they say.

How are things with the new dean going?

How are things with the new dean going?

Well, we're only a month into it, but I really haven't heard anything bad about him. He is very interested in getting student input about everything, which I happen to love. He is also incredibly dedicated to putting us in the position to do well on boards. I'm not sure what else has really changed, but so far it sounds like everyone likes the way he works.

I can't recall hearing about anything specific at my interview or in my research, what does RVU do to help you guys prepare for the boards? Do they put you up in a Kaplan class or anything along those lines, or is it just more time off for you to study?

I can't recall hearing about anything specific at my interview or in my research, what does RVU do to help you guys prepare for the boards? Do they put you up in a Kaplan class or anything along those lines, or is it just more time off for you to study?

I asked this in my interview, they use Kaplan for boards prep.

We have the Kaplan Qbank and the Exam Master Qbank available starting a month ago. They may not stick with the Exam Master, but they'll have something to replace if they change.

The first 3 weeks of May are Kaplan review course lectures (optional to attend). The course includes lectures, books, and online Qbank. After that, we have no more class and are free to study for the boards. We just need to take them by July 11th or so... lots of time to study!

We also have 2 full length practice tests that are required through the school.

Since the first day of school, all tests we are given are written in boards format, so you'll be plenty used to the style when the time comes.

If we don't do well on the boards, we don't have many excuses.

We have the Kaplan Qbank and the Exam Master Qbank available starting a month ago. They may not stick with the Exam Master, but they'll have something to replace if they change.

The first 3 weeks of May are Kaplan review course lectures (optional to attend). The course includes lectures, books, and online Qbank. After that, we have no more class and are free to study for the boards. We just need to take them by July 11th or so... lots of time to study!

Since the first day of school, all tests we are given are written in boards format, so you'll be plenty used to the style when the time comes.

Nice! Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what they did for the prep. That is something I do not look forward to, but good luck.

Very nice! Glad to see all they are doing to help students succeed.

Hello

My file has been complete for about a month now. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the admit regarding a decision?

Thanks

Should be about a month. The holdidays probably slowed them down a little bit, I would imagine. If you want a better picture though, just call the school. They are very helpful in the office and can give you a good idea.

Hello

My file has been complete for about a month now. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the admit regarding a decision?

Thanks

I don't know when I was officially complete, but I sent in all my stuff by Dec. 29th, got an interview invite today! Hang in there!
Anybody else get the call yet?

Any current RVU-COM students want to comment on the last response in this?

http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php?itemid=2994#nucleus_cf

"
Hello. I'm a medical student at RVUCOM and I truly hope that my post is not deleted for shedding light on the truth.

We students and our educations are in jeopardy. Yife Tien terminated the local physician leadership that made up the RVU Board of Trustees for the sole purpose of "getting at" Dr. Ronnie B. Martin last week. Tien's actions were based on trumped-up accusations blown out of proportion and threats of legal proceedings to tarnish this good man's (Dr. Ronnie Martin's) reputation. Dr. Martin was forced to resign or face the consequences of one man and his lawyer.

Yife Tien proceeded in this direction after there were multiple failed faculty votes and a Board of Trustees vote - neither of which garnered the smallest interest against Dr. Martin(overwhelmingly in favor of Dr. Ronnie Martin to continue in his role for the time being). This is how a shady corporation is run - not a medical school.

Should Yife Tien be able to get rid of the regional physicians on the board selected to guide our school and because they didn't vote to his liking? Or because a few new-hire professors in the Biomedical Sciences Department working for Dean Ronnie Martin wanted CONTROL and to "do it their own way"?

NO.

The physician leadership here in Colorado have been treated in a very disrespectful manner - including Dr. Ronnie Martin. Yife Tien and his lawyer, Mr. Black, have embarrassed us in this region. The physicians here who were once excited and willing to help teach us have been wronged and they've had to sit back and watch their own physician leaders and colleagues stepped on and tossed aside. They've seen Mr Tien and his chronies (Mr. Black and others) treat highly-esteemed physician LEADERS in this region like yesterday's garbage.

Yife Tien and his lawyer have shown their true colors and we as students will inevitably suffer as a result.

We gave Mr. Tien a chance. He failed us all.

As a matter of fact, Yife Tien, Mr. Black, and Yife Tien's wife are now sitting where respected community physicians were directing the creation of our clinical rotation sites and residencies only days ago. They are not suited to look out for our best interests - which is why we now need the AOA to intervene.

We are asking for the FULL involvement of the AOA/COCA and we DO HAVE A MAJORITY vote comprised of nearly 100 student signatures with many more to follow in the coming days. Will the AOA - or Yife Tien try to "fire" us as well for making the truth known? Or will we simply be silenced to suffer in the background without the support of our local physicians or any type of TRUE LOCAL physician leadership guiding and protecting student interests? I should hope that the the AOA/COCA cares about us - the students, Dr. DiMarco.

We the students of RVU, with the support of our fellow medical students and our physician teachers across this nation are watching the AOA reaction to Yife Tien's reprehensible moves very closely. The students have been wronged and are being influenced NOT to speak out at our medical school. We've the support of our local physicians and physicians/med students nationwide. Nothing but immediate action by the AOA will suffice under these circumstances.

We've done our part as medical students - we've reached out to you, the AOA and COCA, for help and protection from a new structure that IS NOT in our best interests - or that of Osteopathic Medicine.

We are very organized, Dr. DiMArco, and we will not remain silent as the new "corporate structure" misleads the AOA with false excuses as to what's really transpired.

This is OUR community - where we hope to one day serve as physicians. We will not sit down. Our fight is now based on principle, not fear.

Please join us - defend us. We need to be rescued.

Concerned RVU Student

Posted by Concerned RVU Student at Sunday, May 24, 2009 19:08:57"

over 100 signatures asking to be "saved" by the AOA??

I could be wrong, but I believe that this was all dicussed here on the boards back when that post was made. The student that actually wrote that and acquired those signatures mislead the majority of the students that signed his "petition" for help. From what I remember that student was very disgruntled and transferred. Since then it has calmed down and they have hired a new dean and new board members. I think it was actually talked about in last year's class thread. I believe that you don't have much to worry about now in regards to that specific issue as it is almost 8 months old.

I could be wrong, but I believe that this was all dicussed here on the boards back when that post was made. The student that actually wrote that and acquired those signatures mislead the majority of the students that signed his "petition" for help. From what I remember that student was very disgruntled and transferred. Since then it has calmed down and they have hired a new dean and new board members. I think it was actually talked about in last year's class thread. I believe that you don't have much to worry about now in regards to that specific issue as it is almost 8 months old.

Oh good! ! !

No problem. Have you decided where you are going to be attending yet?

No problem. Have you decided where you are going to be attending yet?

I'm going to have a phone conversation with someone attending Touro in NY but i'm 95% sure I'm going to RVU. Is that where you're headed as well? I recall you being accepted, I wasn't sure if this was where you're headed for sure.

Any current RVU-COM students want to comment on the last response in this?

That was blown hugely out of proportion and very exaggerated. Our school is being run even better now than it was before.

Hello all

I receive an invite to interview last night for the end of Jan.

I have a question of current RVU students....

How are you all paying for the school without federal loans? Do you know, when feds will allow students to take out loans to pay for RVU?

Loved RVU!! Just paid my deposit and sent in the matriculation agreement! Excited to meet everyone in the Fall!!