RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
... In fact, they have begun a new "military medicine" track because they have so many students going that route. ...

Can you (or anyone else) tell me some more about this track and the what other tracks that are available? I read something on the website about a global health track? Do you need to do to enroll in a track your first year? Can you can take elective courses in multiple tracks without enrolling? I am considering the HPSP and I also am very interested in global and rural health...too many interests and not enough time in medical school to do them all! Any additional information would be helpful - thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you (or anyone else) tell me some more about this track and the what other tracks that are available? I read something on the website about a global health track? Do you need to do to enroll in a track your first year? Can you can take elective courses in multiple tracks without enrolling? I am considering the HPSP and I also am very interested in global and rural health...too many interests and not enough time in medical school to do them all! Any additional information would be helpful - thanks!!!

You apply to these tracks at the end of your first year, I believe. So they are competitive to get into. The global health track focuses on just that. If you are interested in doing some abroad mission work, etc. then this may be right for you. The military medicine track was designed because there are so many students on HPSP and introduces more trauma training. The rural health track (which I found the most exciting imo) takes the student doctor, puts them into a rural area for a period of time, and lets them work on being the all-around doctor. Since a lot of doctors in rural areas have to be everything, they focus on that. From what I was told, you apply to the track(s) that you are interested in and go from there. However the dean did mention that a student was only allowed to do one of these tracks. Hope that helps

Can someone explain why federal aid isn't given out here...newer schools like William Carey have it, so why not here?

Because they are only provisionally accredited. Once the first class (2012) graduates, then they will be fully accredited and students will be eligible for federal student aid. I can't speak as to why W.C may get federal aid (they too are provisionally accredited by the AOA, I believe) other than they are already established in academia and have full accreditation in other areas. Maybe somebody else with more knowledge in this area can offer a better explanation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they are only provisionally accredited. Once the first class (2012) graduates, then they will be fully accredited and students will be eligible for federal student aid. I can't speak as to why W.C may get federal aid (they too are provisionally accredited by the AOA, I believe) other than they are already established in academia and have full accreditation in other areas. Maybe somebody else with more knowledge in this area can offer a better explanation.

MY SPECULATION: Many students who attend non-accredited schools can receive federal financial aid. If I remember correctly, because they are a "for-profit" school they are under different requirements. Whereas an unaccredited school who is nonprofit can qualify for federal aid, "for profit" schools have to wait until they graduate their first class, then they can qualify for it.

During the interview, they said they may not even get it after they graduate their first class and may not have it for another year or so after their graduation.

I am not an official on the topic. It really is a shame, I would have ended up going to this school had there been federal aid immediately available. However, their already high cost, coupled with an irreconcilable 8.5% interest for possibly 2 years is too big of a deterrent. Unless you do the armed forces, you will be in substantially more debt than if you attend other programs.
Bummer.

Im pretty positive that the for profit has nothing to do with why you can't get federal aid.

Its just my speculation but other new medical schools have some sort of other University they are apart of and can use whatever accreditation means they have to give their students federal aid. In this case William Carey has a fully accredited Undergraduate University and a medical school. Even though the medical school is only provisionally accredited like newer medical school programs they are able to use some accreditation from the other programs in order to offer the medical students federal financial aid. This seems to be the case with other medical schools.

Rocky Vista on the other hand is its own Medical School. No sister University or anything so therefore its accreditation and ability to offer federal aid is based sorely on the medical school.

Just my thought.

Im pretty positive that the for profit has nothing to do with why you can't get federal aid.

Its just my speculation but other new medical schools have some sort of other University they are apart of and can use whatever accreditation means they have to give their students federal aid. In this case William Carey has a fully accredited Undergraduate University and a medical school. Even though the medical school is only provisionally accredited like newer medical school programs they are able to use some accreditation from the other programs in order to offer the medical students federal financial aid. This seems to be the case with other medical schools.

Rocky Vista on the other hand is its own Medical School. No sister University or anything so therefore its accreditation and ability to offer federal aid is based sorely on the medical school.

Just my thought.

I'd agree with this except for PNWU is not accredited yet and not affiliated with another university and you can still get federal aid with them.

It is either the "for profit" status or some other strange reason not discussed yet.

This is my top choice school and I don't want the amount of debt I'm gonna have be a deciding factor. I really don't wanna join the military either. I really like this school. Can anyone currently attending provide us with any loan information...my interview is mid-january can't wait

This is my top choice school and I don't want the amount of debt I'm gonna have be a deciding factor. I really don't wanna join the military either. I really like this school. Can anyone currently attending provide us with any loan information...my interview is mid-january can't wait

Id take a closer look at Military Medicine. I am biased because I should hear back from the Army in the next few days about getting their scholarship but I would just recommend trying to shadow a military doctor if its even a possibility that you wouldn't mind going that route.

There is also the National Service Corps.
http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

I know of one friend that is going this route and he is a second year at DMU.

Also RVUCOM will have federal aid once they graduate their first class. So Federal Aid will be available in another year. Meaning Class of 2016 if Im not mistaken.

Also RVUCOM will have federal aid once they graduate their first class. So Federal Aid will be available in another year. Meaning Class of 2016 if Im not mistaken.

This is not necessarily the case. It is more like what Kuanileqa said, it could be then, but it could be a year or two later. Federal loan approval sounded like it has a separate process, because it definitely DIDN'T sound like it was any sort of guarantee when they graduate their first class. The accreditation will come then, but federal loans are an unknown variable.

Did anyone get a call or email today about an acceptance/rejection? I interviewed a couple weeks ago and thought the committee meeting was today but didn't get a call or an email

Thanks!

I am a little leery about the loan status though, if they had federal loans I would send in my acceptance letter right now, I loved the school. Its gonna be awfully expensive to go there... The loan situation could possibly push me towards PNWU. Argh, I wish we had more time to confirm acceptances like the allo schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

I am a little leery about the loan status though, if they had federal loans I would send in my acceptance letter right now, I loved the school. Its gonna be awfully expensive to go there... The loan situation could possibly push me towards PNWU. Argh, I wish we had more time to confirm acceptances like the allo schools.

Most allo schools give you 2 weeks to confirm, but then the deposit is usually refundable prior to May 15th, but not always. Some allo schools have deposits as large as 2k. So, $500 to hold your spot isn't that bad.

How long did it take for you all to hear back after you submited your application?

How long did it take for you all to hear back after you submited your application?

My application was released from AACOMAS on June 6th I then got a call September 9th and Interviewed September 21. I was originally going to interview in November but a spot opened up in September so I jumped on it.

Are you thinking about applying now or have you already applied?

My application was released from AACOMAS on June 6th I then got a call September 9th and Interviewed September 21. I was originally going to interview in November but a spot opened up in September so I jumped on it.

Are you thinking about applying now or have you already applied?

I sent in my secondary earlier this week. I hope there is still time!

I was recently placed on the alternate list. It was quite devastating. Does anyone know any stats or chances for the alternate lists at RVUCOM? Any tips besides a letter?

Thanks!

Why does that matter? You still pay the same amount regardless of who lends you the cash. If you get Stafford loans (which have a limit of relatively not much) then you will save a little in interest, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

The loan through the school, which I've lived off of for a couple years, works just fine with an 8.5% interest rate.

I was recently placed on the alternate list. It was quite devastating. Does anyone know any stats or chances for the alternate lists at RVUCOM? Any tips besides a letter?

I do not know of any stats for the alternate list at RVUCOM.

Just a few things I do know about Alternate lists:

Each School is different but from my own experience alternates are ranked. Some schools give applicants "points" coming from their application and interview and then the alternates are put on a list from greatest to least. While other schools put alternates on a list from when they interviewed.

I don't think that its a bad thing to call and ask a school where you sit on their alternate list. Schools understand that you may have offers at others schools and that you need to make a decision with deposits ect. So asking them where you sit on the alternate list to me would show that you are interested in the school and that your spot on the list really matters to you.

A letter will always help but I think this again depends on the school. If you are on an alternate list the school has already decided that you would do well at their school so a letter I think should focus on why you want to go to that school and why that school is your top choice, the letter shouldn't focus on things you would be trying to highlight if you were still trying to get an interview.

But from my experience being on a schools alternate list before the end of the year is not a bad place to be. I interviewed early and those in the first batch have until Jan 14th to make all their deposits to save their seat so the first round of spots being given to alternates will probably be sent out shortly thereafter.

Hope this helps. But best of luck to you!

Just received a call/e-mail from Katy to offer an invite for an interview!!! I'm very excited.

3.3 cGPA
CO Res
31O MCAT

Submitted secondary and letters on 12/13/10.

I will be on campus Jan 10 for an interview. Good luck to everyone!

Why does that matter? You still pay the same amount regardless of who lends you the cash. If you get Stafford loans (which have a limit of relatively not much) then you will save a little in interest, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

The loan through the school, which I've lived off of for a couple years, works just fine with an 8.5% interest rate.

So I take that to mean you are a student there?

My main concern was the 8.5% interest rate and the accrued interest after 4 years vs the federal loan. RVU is my favorite school of the schools I have been accepted to and its just the financial status that is holding me back as I said earlier.

If you could elaborate on your experience there as a student I would greatly appreciate it.

So I take that to mean you are a student there?

My main concern was the 8.5% interest rate and the accrued interest after 4 years vs the federal loan. RVU is my favorite school of the schools I have been accepted to and its just the financial status that is holding me back as I said earlier.

If you could elaborate on your experience there as a student I would greatly appreciate it.

I think what was being said is basically the cost of going to whatever school is not going to change. You will finance your school from Stafford and Student Plus Loans.

In this case RVUCOM cost's XXXX.XX to attend.

Federal Loans that you dont have to pay interest on, the Subsidized Stafford Loans, have a limit as to how much you can take out per year. I believe that amount is around 20k. So what is being said is that Rocky Vista costs XXXX.XX to go to school and Stafford loans (If/When available) will pay for YYYY.YY but you would still have to finance the rest ZZZZ.ZZ with Student Plus Loans which have the same 8.5 percent interest. Stafford loans have a 6.5 percent interest.

Stafford loans can have the interest paid for by the government, Subsidized, or have the interest deferred but still accrued in Unsubsidized loans. Student Plus Loans accrue interest from day one and can have interest payments deferred until after school.

Rocky Vista has it setup with some private borrower where you can finance everything at 8.5 percent, just like the Student Plus Loans. the only difference is this company will do a credit check ect. like any other lender institution and is not government backed or regulated. I believe Federal Loans only look at Cost of school and student status, full time, part time ect. The Rocky Vista option really is not a bad thing. I think it speaks highly about the school in the fact that they where able to set something up like the Student Plus Loan with some private lender to help their students pay for school.

So coming full circle HOW you finance school is a concern in this case but when considered to the cost of education you have to ask yourself is it the COST of attendance you are uncomfortable with or is it the financing options.

Subsidized interest will not have to be paid back but all other interest will have to be paid back no matter if the loan is government issued or not.

The question was in regards to the 8.5% financing through the school and how much that interest rate raises the cost of attending RVU. I looked at some loan calculators online and saw that it was not and insignificant amount, that is what scares me. Are there other options to finance these loans that don't have such high interests rates that anybody knows of? I tried calling the school but they're closed for the holidays it seems.

The question was in regards to the 8.5% financing through the school and how much that interest rate raises the cost of attending RVU. I looked at some loan calculators online and saw that it was not and insignificant amount, that is what scares me. Are there other options to finance these loans that don't have such high interests rates that anybody knows of? I tried calling the school but they're closed for the holidays it seems.

8.5 percent is the best you are going to find for a loan the size you need for med school. Aside from what Rocky Vista is doing for the students and eventually getting the government loans at 6.5 and 8.5 the only other options are:

1.) Other Private loans that will be greater than 8.5 percent interest with no deferred payment option

2.) Having a lucky weekend in Vegas with your Uncle Bernie.

3.) Begging family and friends to borrow money.

Thats really about it. Unless you look into the HPSP through the Military, I just got one with the Army so PM me if you want a lengthy discussion about Army medicine. You can even do the National health Services Corps http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/.

Does anyone know what other implications provisional accreditation has for us? I gathered that at RVUCOM we can't get federal loans or federal aids, but how else does this affect us? Personally I am only going to need a 20K loan/year...
Are you guys positive that RVUCOM will definitely be accredited once students graduate? Or do they have to meet other requirements?
Thanks!

Also, how far away is the closest ski resort? And do those of you enrolled actually get any time to ski/snowboard? lol :oops:

Does anyone know what other implications provisional accreditation has for us? I gathered that at RVUCOM we can't get federal loans or federal aids, but how else does this affect us? Personally I am only going to need a 20K loan/year...
Are you guys positive that RVUCOM will definitely be accredited once students graduate? Or do they have to meet other requirements?
Thanks!

Also, how far away is the closest ski resort? And do those of you enrolled actually get any time to ski/snowboard? lol :oops:

Yep, I'm a 3rd year at RVU.

EasyC is right on in the financial explanation. All med schools (excepting some state MD programs) are around the same cost (+/- a couple thousand/yr)... so you shouldn't let that be a decider in choosing where to go. Med school is super expensive, it sucks, but that's the reality and unless you join the military or get 1 of the 3 scholarships, there's no way around it. You'll make it back later on... it's an investment.

And yeah, the entire school was closed last week... kind of a big break, but I guess they deserve some time off too. They'll be back Monday AM ready to answer your questions.

There are no implications to the accreditation status other than federal loan restrictions, which we should be getting in 2012 or 2013. I can't say anything is positive, but we're 99.9% sure we'll be accredited. We have had zero deficiencies in visits from the accrediting body so far.

Skiing is about 1.5 hours away, which includes Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge, and Copper Mountain. If you go 2 hours away there are even more. If it's a snowy weekend the drive is longer. You better believe we have time to go!

Just withdrew my app and canceled my interview...hopefully that helps one of you...good luck!!!

For those who were accepted before dec, does anyone remember what day the second tuition payment is due? I looked on their website and can't find anything and don't want to call to bother them if I don't have to. Thank you in advance.

For those who were accepted before dec, does anyone remember what day the second tuition payment is due? I looked on their website and can't find anything and don't want to call to bother them if I don't have to. Thank you in advance.

January 14th.

accepted today, interviewed 1-5! awesome school, can't wait!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited!!!!! Can't wait to meet all you c/o 2015 RVUCOM-ers!!!! :D

Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is repeat question, but does anyone know when the last of the interviews are??

Hello,

I recently canceled my interview here on Feb. 10th from 11am-5pm, so if anyone wants to move their date up you should definitely try to call the office. Good Luck!

Katy from admissions told us at the interview that if you get placed on their alternate list, it means they're missing something in your application, like a grade or LOR. It's neither bad nor good. I'd contact them ASAP, if I were you. :)

Btw, I got accepted! I withdrew my acceptance from ATSU and canceled my interview at LECOM for RVUCOM. I liked the place a lot. I'm concerned about the for-profit thing, though. I heard an unconfirmed statement saying they're getting some opposition from the state for being for-profit. As long as we can get federal aid after they're accredited, I'll be happy :xf:

I am having trouble getting to the campus.

Can anyone give any tips?

I looked online, and airlines are only going to the main DEN, or Denver Airport, but campus is about 28 miles from airport, and unfortunately, I cannot get a car rental.

Any tips on how to get to university from airport? I am willing to book hotel, but none of the hotel that the school has provided provides free shuttle from airport to hotel, even if you stay there, or am i mistaken?

I called tons, and hotels only shuttle 5 miles radius. Any tips?

I am having trouble getting to the campus.

Can anyone give any tips?

I looked online, and airlines are only going to the main DEN, or Denver Airport, but campus is about 28 miles from airport, and unfortunately, I cannot get a car rental.

Any tips on how to get to university from airport? I am willing to book hotel, but none of the hotel that the school has provided provides free shuttle from airport to hotel, even if you stay there, or am i mistaken?

I called tons, and hotels only shuttle 5 miles radius. Any tips?

The red lion hotel will pick u up from the airport and also take you and bring you back from the interview

The red lion hotel will pick u up from the airport and also take you and bring you back from the interview

I second this! The Red Lion was awesome and with the shuttle To/From the airport and To/From the interview its worth the money!