RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So like i mentioned I was put on the "high" alternative list. The reason was that they feel I didn't have a enough biology course. I took bio 1 and 2 with the labs and A&P 1 and 2 with labs... did other people (those who got accepted) take more?

They also told me my interview went well. My MCAT was 25o and my GPA is 3.47. Thoughts anyone?

Nate-

Good Luck and don't lose motivation.....that is what will continue to sustain you. I am a reapplicant and I am glad I kept at it;)

I was a double major in undergrad: psych/bio

OOS stats: 24M, 3.6 cGPA, 3.47 sGPA

BIO Courses: Bio I/II, Genetics, Biochem, Cell, Human Phys, Envir Sci, Sr Sem

Because I am a repplicant, my stats DID come up in the interview....just an FYI to anyone interviewing that is a reapplicant. So just because they do not have access does not mean that it won't come up:)

:luck::luck:Good Luck:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

So once they mentioned the biology course deficiency I mentioned the vocational nursing school I attended. I took a little there. so I called AACOMAs and asked if it would be something they would add to my GPA since it was a nationally accredited program as opposed to a regionally accredited program. I have mentioned the fact in my personal statement that I attended the school and have in no way tried to omit that information. AACOMAS says that now they're sending a disclosure letter to all the schools I applied to saying I omitted information. WTF? This is just getting worse. What should I do (other than plan on being a re-applicant)?

Did you put the nursing school classes in when you first submitted your app or are you adding them now? If you are just now trying to add this school to your app that is a bad thing. It looks like you were trying to hide the fact that you went there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not put all the courses down when I first submitted, they said the courses wouldn't count toward my GPA due to the accreditation status. I called aacomas to ask about it and they said it wasn't mentioned prior. This wasn't my motivation at all. It was a vocational program, nothing that has to do with my bachelors degree. I even wrote about going to nursing school in my personal statement. Yikes. Sounds like I just screwed myself. I guess there's next year. Or will this "deception" stay on my permanent record with the schools I applied to?

I did not put all the courses down when I first submitted, they said the courses wouldn't count toward my GPA due to the accreditation status. I called aacomas to ask about it and they said it wasn't mentioned prior. This wasn't my motivation at all. It was a vocational program, nothing that has to do with my bachelors degree. I even wrote about going to nursing school in my personal statement. Yikes. Sounds like I just screwed myself. I guess there's next year. Or will this "deception" stay on my permanent record with the schools I applied to?

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be a problem. If you are reapplying just make sure to enter every school and let AACOMAS sort through it all. I took pretty much every undergrad biology course and if your looking to take something productive I would recommend molecular, genetics, biochem and human physiology.

How did AACOMAS miss that when they were processing your application? I can understand it if you never added the program, but if you added some classes, but not all of them, they should have caught that.

Honestly, I'm not sure how schools will take that kind of information, but it doesn't sound like you were trying to hide anything intentionally. I hope everything works out for you.

interview invite today! SO EXCITED!:) any hints?!

It is the most relaxed interview I've had so far. Pay attention to what they present and find things that are you are particularly interested in. For example, they have Track programs (international and rural) where you can get specialized training in serving in those areas. Know your application and be prepared to give a "why I did it and what did I learn from it" answer. While you are waiting in the waiting room, ask to watch Warren Miller ski videos.

LOVED the school. Just got my acceptance letter yesterday!

Katy told me yestereday that there are only 3 people currently on the "high" alternate list. So it looks like it may be okay... we'll see.

Katy told me yestereday that there are only 3 people currently on the "high" alternate list. So it looks like it may be okay... we'll see.

That doesn't sound that bad at all. I could definitely see some movement happening there. Good luck, man. ;)

Maybe take another upper division bio course this spring and send in an update.

interview invite today! SO EXCITED!:) any hints?!

As has been Said this will be one of the most relaxing if not most relaxing Interview you will have. Be prepared to answer questions from your personal statement and secondary essays. Also since its blind (Interviewers dont see numbers) seems to be a very common trend asking you about activities on your app and open ended questions of what you are doing now.

As with any Interview trying to relate questions you are asked back to why you will excel at the school or why you want to be there are a plus.

Best of Luck!

Also Nate. If this is the school you want to go to Id promise you that being on the Alternate list this early means your chance of getting a seat are astronomically in your favor. The class size is what like 160-170. Im positive that at least 20+ people turn down seats for whatever reason. It will all work out!

That doesn't sound that bad at all. I could definitely see some movement happening there. Good luck, man. ;)

Maybe take another upper division bio course this spring and send in an update.

Yeah, thanks. I think i'm going to do Biochem and right now i'm in patho. So hopefully it's all good. So I think it may work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been checking RVUCOM's web page non stop ever since I submitted my secondary a week and a half ago. My "Prospective Students" tab just disappeared. Does that happen typically, or is that a sign that they are no longer interested in my application?

Thanks,
Mick

I've been checking RVUCOM's web page non stop ever since I submitted my secondary a week and a half ago. My "Prospective Students" tab just disappeared. Does that happen typically, or is that a sign that they are no longer interested in my application?

Thanks,
Mick

From what a couple other people have said in previous posts, that might not be a good sign. But MyVista is also infamous for problems, so I wouldn't panic until you hear an official word.

Thanks,
Mick

Mick!!! You are killing me... Hahaha. I got your private message, but apparently when you made your account, you clicked a box that makes it impossible for anyone to send you a private message! I can't even reply to your message! Please fix this so I can send you the information... Thanks!!!

Mick!!! You are killing me... Hahaha. I got your private message, but apparently when you made your account, you clicked a box that makes it impossible for anyone to send you a private message! I can't even reply to your message! Please fix this so I can send you the information... Thanks!!!

Hi Noshie, I think I fixed my PM problem. Thanks!

boone95, yeah. That's what I figured. Ah, well... time to move on to other schools. I'll confirm it for everyone else's sake when I get the news. :thumbdown:

Thanks,
Mick

Hey, Mick.

I would call/email them before you jump to any conclusions. I've read some people's tab disappearing, only to find out there were "technical problems" with the website. I submitted my 2ndary about a month ago and whenever I checked my vista it would just say "there are no active applications in this portlet..." so I finally had the nerve to call them a few weeks ago and it turned out that one of the letters I sent didn't count as a "hard science" LOR. Long story long, I was finally marked "complete" (heard via email) and Katy said that I'd hear something in about 2 weeks. So, I think you should either call/email to confirm you are officially complete before you give up hope. Good luck, Mick! And even if RVUCOM doesn't work out for you, there's other schools in the sea!:luck:;)

Hey all,

I recently got accepted to KCUMB (loved the school!) and have an interview coming up at RVUCOM....for some reason I'm still drawn to the school and location....

any thoughts to make my decision easier? would help me out a lot!

amazing faculty and students (seriously they're really nice). gorgeous backdrop. very good curriculum. dean is from TCOM, a school that is known to have top board scores. cool honors track programs etc.

you really have to see it for yourself, but the feel i got at RVU was awesome. maybe the school happens to fit my personality or maybe it really is just awesome ... whatever the case, you won't know what i'm talking about unless you go

amazing faculty and students (seriously they're really nice). gorgeous backdrop. very good curriculum. dean is from TCOM, a school that is known to have top board scores. cool honors track programs etc.

you really have to see it for yourself, but the feel i got at RVU was awesome. maybe the school happens to fit my personality or maybe it really is just awesome ... whatever the case, you won't know what i'm talking about unless you go

Pretty much this. When I interviewed there, I just felt so at home. And this was my very first med interview too, so I was a nervous wreck the night before, but 15 minutes into the tour, I just felt so at ease with the students and faculty. You should definitely interview there.

Thanks for the input :]

But as far as board exams, residency placement goes...what are your takes on this being a new school and giving its medical students what they need?

I know a lot obviously depends on the student themselves, but how much does the school play a factor? For example, let's say that I want to specialize in OB/GYN and do so in Southern California....how much will the school that I'm attending factor in to that possibility if I myself have done great on COMLEX and USMLE exams?

Thanks for the input :]

But as far as board exams, residency placement goes...what are your takes on this being a new school and giving its medical students what they need?

I know a lot obviously depends on the student themselves, but how much does the school play a factor? For example, let's say that I want to specialize in OB/GYN and do so in Southern California....how much will the school that I'm attending factor in to that possibility if I myself have done great on COMLEX and USMLE exams?

I would only say that a school plays a roll if you are a borderline student for a particular residency. I would venture to say that as long as you, the student, have the stats then the school doesn't matter.

If you want to get very specific like in your example, OB/GYN in Southern California, then I would look into a schools rotation sites. When applying to a residency you really want to have done a rotation at that Hospital, sometimes referred to as an audition rotation. There is a lot that goes into the match and rotating in the place of your choice is really the best way to get the spot you want. And being able to rotate there would depends on the school.

So does a school decide where you can get a residency at, Id say no. But a school DOES decide where you have the ability to rotate at.

Congrats to those of you who were accepted... I'm SUPER jealous... Hopefully next year when I apply I'll be as lucky as you!

Question, does anyone know if it's worthwhile to apply early decision? Part of me says, don't do it, it could kill your chances everywhere else, the other part says, well, if you were accepted to more than one, this is the place... Any thoughts???

CLASS OF 2015 HERE I COME!!!!! :soexcited::biglove::soexcited:

Congrats future classmate!!!! I am soooooo pumped! I just wish school started next semester:) I got my titers done last week...most exciting blood draw I have ever had! Hahaha!!! :laugh:

I was thinking about applying to RVUCOM but am a little worried it is too late in the cycle. Here are my stats:

Undergrad Sci: 3.73
Undergrad cumm: 3.78
Grad Sci: 4.0
Grad Cumm: 3.88
MCAT: 26O
3000 hours of clinical expereince by July 2010
Leadership positions in college clubs and with my state and national health association during college
Various volunteer/community invovlement averaging ~5+ hours per week since 2005

What does the school focus on? Stats, whole person, residency, etc...?

Thanks!

I was thinking about applying to RVUCOM but am a little worried it is too late in the cycle. Here are my stats:

Undergrad Sci: 3.73
Undergrad cumm: 3.78
Grad Sci: 4.0
Grad Cumm: 3.88
MCAT: 26O
3000 hours of clinical expereince by July 2010
Leadership positions in college clubs and with my state and national health association during college
Various volunteer/community invovlement averaging ~5+ hours per week since 2005

What does the school focus on? Stats, whole person, residency, etc...?

Thanks!

You seem to be very competitive. Id try! But if it doesn't work out then you can almost bank on the late application to be the reason. There are just a few things to consider.

1.) Is the MCAT in the last 3 years?

2.) From my application experience and talking with others who have applied, Rocky Vista really wants to see a desire to work in Undeserved communities. Doesn't mean you are going to practice there forever but that you like working with that population group and don't mind it.

3.) Go for it! It may be a little late but I think if you contact the admissions office often enough to show your interest you can sway things in your favor.

Just my 2 cents. Best of Luck!

You should definitely apply! You'll regret it if you don't and I interviewed there and loved it! There is still lots more time for interviews & many spots will open up when accepted applicants choose to make their deposit at other schools.

You seem to be very competitive. Id try! But if it doesn't work out then you can almost bank on the late application to be the reason. There are just a few things to consider.

1.) Is the MCAT in the last 3 years?

2.) From my application experience and talking with others who have applied, Rocky Vista really wants to see a desire to work in Undeserved communities. Doesn't mean you are going to practice there forever but that you like working with that population group and don't mind it.

3.) Go for it! It may be a little late but I think if you contact the admissions office often enough to show your interest you can sway things in your favor.

Just my 2 cents. Best of Luck!

Yes, my MCAT was from this July. I took it kind of late, which is why I didn't get a chance to retake it before applying to schools. My practice tests were closer to 30, but the VR section killed me.

I think I will apply this weekend. Thanks for the input!!

Hello! I'm applying next cycle (so this coming summer) and have a question for those accepted to RVU (which is my first choice school as of now).

Are any of you doing HPSP? Have you applied yet for it? And did you tell RVU that you want to go the HPSP route? Does this give you a disadvantage?

Thanks!!

Hello! I'm applying next cycle (so this coming summer) and have a question for those accepted to RVU (which is my first choice school as of now).

Are any of you doing HPSP? Have you applied yet for it? And did you tell RVU that you want to go the HPSP route? Does this give you a disadvantage?

Thanks!!

I'm doing the HPSP program (Army) and have begun the application for it. I didn't outright tell them that was my intention but because I was prior military, I'm sure it isn't much of a shock. In fact, they have begun a new "military medicine" track because they have so many students going that route. It most certainly is NOT detrimental to your application and they were very proud of the fact that so many of their students are going the military route. Hope that helps!

It is not a detriment at all! When I interviewed there, they said about 60% of their class when this route. Probably because not only are they one of the most expensive DO schools, the fact that you are stuck at a flat 8.5% interest rate will put you in way more debt than most other medical programs.

Okay awesome!! That's really interesting that they actually have a military medicine track.. I'll have to look more into that. Thanks for the help!

Okay awesome!! That's really interesting that they actually have a military medicine track.. I'll have to look more into that. Thanks for the help!

My application is actually at the review board for the scholarship this month. So my fingers are crossed that the Army will give me one.

I actually work at WRAIR right now and I think that it really helped my application out to Rocky Vista!

My application is actually at the review board for the scholarship this month. So my fingers are crossed that the Army will give me one.

I actually work at WRAIR right now and I think that it really helped my application out to Rocky Vista!

Best of luck to you! Considering you were accepted to Rocky Vista way back in September, I'm sure you're a pretty good candidate! :) I hope I am able to be accepted to RVU that early next year - that'd be such a relief! :xf:

Best of luck to you! Considering you were accepted to Rocky Vista way back in September, I'm sure you're a pretty good candidate! :) I hope I am able to be accepted to RVU that early next year - that'd be such a relief! :xf:

This is purely my biased opinion but applying early makes all the difference!

The only difference between my application last year and this was my Job, more Shadowing, and some more volunteer experience, no change at all in academics. I finished my primary app and it was processed by the first week of September and had Secondaries done by Beginning of October last year.

This year I had my app done when it opened up in May and it was processed right away and my app was most likely in the first patch sent to schools. I got my secondaries done in 2 days from being offered and I have had so many more interview invites this year!

Again a completely biased opinion but Earlier makes all the difference!

Best of Luck to ya!

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll be hitting the submit button on June 1!

I can't seem to find anything about classes or if we can do rotations outside of colorado...anyone know where i can find this info

So i just received an interview invite today and I'm really excited. But I'm a little apprehensive about the school being so new. Does anyone know anything about where students will be able to get rotations? anywhere outside colorado? and this might be a dumb question but is the school accredited? i don't know a whole lot about how all that works. I think Colorado would be awesome and I could really see myself living there but the 'newness' worries me. any words of encouragement?

So i just received an interview invite today and I'm really excited. But I'm a little apprehensive about the school being so new. Does anyone know anything about where students will be able to get rotations? anywhere outside colorado? and this might be a dumb question but is the school accredited? i don't know a whole lot about how all that works. I think Colorado would be awesome and I could really see myself living there but the 'newness' worries me. any words of encouragement?

this might help http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/PDFs/RVUCatalog_2010-2011.pdf

Also does anyone know if we can do our elective rotations where we choose to and are the lectures video streamed?

Also does anyone know if we can do our elective rotations where we choose to and are the lectures video streamed?

I asked the same questions during my interview and here is what they told me: In a nutshell, you can do your elective rotations where you choose, but I know there is more to it. They had sites all over the US and the dean said that if you wanted to go to XYZ hospital for a residency, they would try to set something up so that you can rotate through there. I know there's more to it, but perhaps somebody else can expand on that.

Secondly, I know the lectures are recorded and are able for view at a later time, but I don't know if they are streamed live.
Hope that helps

Just a tag along comment.

I remember them saying Lectures where put online a day or so after the lecture, as far as video or streaming there was nothing mentioned about that and by 'posting' lectures It seemed more like it was just audio. But the slides and references with the lecture would also be posted.

As far as rotations go they have a wide variety. I do remember something being mentioned about being able to do all/most of your rotations in Salt Lake City.

Rotations: Rotations right now are primarily in the Denver area and Colorado Springs area. Fort Collins, Salt Lake, and Corpus Christi, TX (not sure why...) are in the making for next year, I believe. Those are where most rotations would be. However, you can set up other rotations anywhere you want. I have classmates everywhere, and I'll be doing away rotations too to check out residency programs.

Accredited status: The school is provisionally accredited which is as good as it gets until 2012, when the first class graduates. This is nothing to worry about.

Newness: By the time you get there, there will have been 3 classes before you, and I can guarantee it is getting better with each class. It will never be perfect, but it will be mighty nice by the time you're there, in contrast to being a guinea pig (which isn't quite as bad as it sounds), but you can still thank us later.

Good luck!

Rotations: Rotations right now are primarily in the Denver area and Colorado Springs area. Fort Collins, Salt Lake, and Corpus Christi, TX (not sure why...) are in the making for next year, I believe. Those are where most rotations would be. However, you can set up other rotations anywhere you want. I have classmates everywhere, and I'll be doing away rotations too to check out residency programs.

Accredited status: The school is provisionally accredited which is as good as it gets until 2012, when the first class graduates. This is nothing to worry about.

Newness: By the time you get there, there will have been 3 classes before you, and I can guarantee it is getting better with each class. It will never be perfect, but it will be mighty nice by the time you're there, in contrast to being a guinea pig (which isn't quite as bad as it sounds), but you can still thank us later.

Good luck!

This is probably because Dean Dubin has connections there. I think TX is known for having great rotations, so this is a good thing (IMO). I have also heard positive things about the school from chairs of depts. at CU, which is also a good thing. So, it sounds like RVU is being received very well in state.

Can someone explain why federal aid isn't given out here...newer schools like William Carey have it, so why not here?