PhD/PsyD Sabbatical plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received official word that I'm sabbatical-eligible for AY 23-24. Intent to apply due 8/15, proposal due 9/1. The proposal needs to address how the time will be spent, how it will benefit professional growth, how my growth will benefit the college & discipline, if there will be any products (pubs, lectures, performances, etc). Our options are full pay for 1 semester off or 1/2 pay for the whole year (full benefits either way). I'm definitely applying, just figuring out time and what to do.

Anyone here taken sabbatical? Thoughts about semester vs. year? What did you do? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Received the good news last week that the proposal was accepted. Officially, I'll be off Spring semester 2024, which means after submitting my grades early Dec '23 I won't be due back till until late August '24. The plan is to pursue ABPP boarding in counseling psych, spend time travelling and reconnecting with family in central México, and to take a course in curanderismo at UNM. I'm also trying to close a consulting gig for Fall '23 that would actually pay better than my faculty salary; if that happens I'll take an unpaid leave for Fall and then sabbatical as planned for Spring.
Still kinda pinching myself that this is real. My mom and spouse work hourly jobs with only a few weeks off per year.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Received the good news last week that the proposal was accepted. Officially, I'll be off Spring semester 2024, which means after submitting my grades early Dec '23 I won't be due back till until late August '24. The plan is to pursue ABPP boarding in counseling psych, spend time travelling and reconnecting with family in central México, and to take a course in curanderismo at UNM. I'm also trying to close a consulting gig for Fall '23 that would actually pay better than my faculty salary; if that happens I'll take an unpaid leave for Fall and then sabbatical as planned for Spring.
Still kinda pinching myself that this is real. My mom and spouse work hourly jobs with only a few weeks off per year.
Envious of your opportunity and the time you will have. The down side of full-time private practice is no work = no income. Makes it harder to agree to time off, especially extended time off. Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Envious of your opportunity and the time you will have. The down side of full-time private practice is no work = no income. Makes it harder to agree to time off, especially extended time off. Enjoy!

Yeah, but we can make the same net income with a fraction of the time, so we do essentially have more time off. As long as we want to remain at a certain income level.

Ross Gellar was on Sabbatical too. And then the troubles came to Friends...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Ross Gellar was on Sabbatical too. And then the troubles came to Friends...
So both vocationally and relationally, Ross was on a break…

@calimich congrats on the sabbatical, enjoy it!

Reactions: 1 user
According to a mentor, write like two manuscripts and then chill. Of course, this mentor invariably tells me to do less work, so....
I am planning on writing 0 manuscripts, although I will take the advice to chill...
how's your tenure case going?

Reactions: 2 users