Sackler Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecorn

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all potential Sackler classmates!!!

Come out come out wherever you are! :D

I'm starting a thread the Sackler Class of 2008 in Tel Aviv, Israel. Whoooooooo-Hoooooooooooooooooo!

Who is going and how did you make your decision?

I'm very torn :confused: As a Canadian, I'm worried I'll be shooting myself in the foot for residency b/c of the whole H-1 visa issue AND being an IMG.

But, I love Israel and would absolutely love to study and live there for a while. It is the "after med school" part that I am worried about and am trying to decide if I should stay back in Canada and try again next year. But, if I could plan the future, I'd choose Israel over Canada in a hearbeat for med schooll!!!!

Anyways, I'm very interested in your stories and would love to hear them, so please share! :)

-littlecorn :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to any schools in the US?

Do you know what percentage of the class is Canadian?

-Lady

Hi Lady,
Yes I did and I am currently waitlisted at Mount Sinai. I think the number of Canadians in the class is typicall under 20 but I think even under 10.

Are you going to Sackler?

-LIttle corn

Members don't see this ad :)
littlecorn,

I wouldn't be applying until the next year, NY and Israel would be top choices for me as well as a couple of schools in Quebec.

I'm fascinated by the experience that a school like Sackler (and BGU) could provide.

-lady

lady, it looks as though you and i are in the same boat. this is a big year ahead:)

LadyDeathstrike said:
Kussemek,

Are you in Montreal?

-lady

okay, so not quite in the exact same boat. I am in California, but I have had some interest in Sackler for quite some time.

Ok, so other than the fact that we're at opposite ends of the continent, we're pretty much in the same boat!! :D

My only concern with Sackler is I'm not too sure how it would affect my chances of getting a competitive residency in NY.

-lady

I went to visit Sackler last summer and loved it. I got to speak with a few students, ranging from 1st to 3rd years and they all expressed some concern with that too. According to some of the "older" students who I spoke with, she said that the school is very supportive of its students when it comes to matching. She also said that compared to other international schools its not that much of a problem. I know Sackler has an amazing reputation, so while it might be a little more difficult, I think its definately dobale. Just my .02:)

I'm currently registered at Concordia because I'm working full time. I have a few courses to finish but I was unable to take them at McGill due to their restrictive class schedule.

Any news from MSSM?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!! :luck:

Will you definitely go to Sackler if you don't get in to MSSM?

-lady
p.s. Congrats on the Sackler acceptance!!!

Hi LadyDeathSTrike,

Thanks for the SAckler congrats! :)

No news from MSSM...yet. :scared:

As for Sackler, I am very torn. The main issue being coming back and practicing in Canada and the hoops I would have to jump through. :confused:

I"m thinking about it very seriously though. That I can say for sure.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the support. :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
bump....

someone on SDN has to be going to Sackler!!!!! :) :)
Show yourselves you lucky folk!!!!

...gimme a year:)

littlecorn said:
Hi LadyDeathSTrike,

Thanks for the SAckler congrats! :)

No news from MSSM...yet. :scared:

As for Sackler, I am very torn. The main issue being coming back and practicing in Canada and the hoops I would have to jump through. :confused:

I"m thinking about it very seriously though. That I can say for sure.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the support. :) :) :)

You are going to one of the best schools in the world-i went to sackler and it was a great learning and living experience, you will be happy you went there-if you have any question email me.

claiming that a school is one of the best schools in the world, and being a recruiter for the school = BS

u said u were answering questions here, well then be objective and not subjective.

Sackler = IMG = not the best way for US = not one of the best schools for ppl planning to work in the USA.

Period!

It might be good enough to create local doctors.

The American Program at Tel Aviv U (Sackler) is chartered by the State of NY....and thus medical graduates that apply for residencies in NY, apply as US Medical school graduates. If grads plan to apply to states outside NY then they do have to apply as IMG (which really isnt all that different these days, considering new laws regarding IMG rights and the specific field of medicine).
in addition, all grads MUST apply for US residencies and all of them do, with greater than 90% match success rate.
:cool:

you may have a tough time getting derm at UCSF or Urology at Ny Presbyterian...i think that would be difficult coming from most US schools. Sackler does not encourage pipe dreams.

what the hell are "local doctors"?
:confused:

i did my undergrad at UC Berkeley and i just finished my first year at the Sackler program. im having a great time in israel...and i'm getting a great education. i would be happy to answer any questions as best i can.

nattiv said:
The American Program at Tel Aviv U (Sackler) is chartered by the State of NY....and thus medical graduates that apply for residencies in NY, apply as US Medical school graduates. If grads plan to apply to states outside NY then they do have to apply as IMG (which really isnt all that different these days, considering new laws regarding IMG rights and the specific field of medicine).
in addition, all grads MUST apply for US residencies and all of them do, with greater than 90% match success rate.

you may have a tough time getting derm at UCSF or Urology at Ny Presbyterian...i think that would be difficult coming from most US schools. Sackler does not encourage pipe dreams.

i did my undergrad at UC Berkeley and i just finished my first year at the Sackler program. im having a great time in israel...and i'm getting a great education. i would be happy to answer any questions as best i can.

Nattiv,

thanks sooooooooooooo much for your post. it is so good to hear that you are having a great time and getting a good reputation. i'm happy for you! I might just join you over there at Sackler.

are there any canadians in your year? i visited this past march and met some students so i know there are some older canadian students. i am more worried about visa issues as a canadian than I am about being an IMG. I interviewed for medical school at Mt Sinai in NY and did some research there about their impressions about Sackler and all of them said amazing things about the graduates. Some even said they go there to recruit for residency!

But, are the canadians in your class worried about having to get J1 visas and not H1 visas and then ahving to come back to work in Canada, and all the restrictions that apply to Canadians who graduate elsewhere and want tow ork in CAnada. I'm just terrified that after all the years of hardwork in med school and in residency, I can't get a job in Canada! :( I woudl rather get a job in the States but with J1 visa, after two years you hav eto go back and work in Canada. Do you know how folks get around that? I've heard some work for VA hospitals. Anyways, anything you can offer in that regard would be greatly appreciated. There is always the possibility that I could get an H1 visa...but from what I understand, I can't count on it.

Thanks sooo much for your help. :D :D

ps. are you living in ramat gan or in tel aviv?

Congratulations to everyone who is lucky enough to have been accepted to Sackler-you are going to one of the worlds top medical schools.

I know I was there,you will enjoy being at two great hospitals-chaim Sheba Medical Center which is a tertiary refertral center for Asia,and Assaf Harofe Medical Center.

Believe me you will look back at these 4 years as one of the best and will go on to great medical careers as World Class Physicians,

The name Sackler and Hadassah are in the first class of medical schools in the world. When I was there there were many doctors and medical students doing electivers from the middle east-jordan,egypt and turkey as well as europe,asia,and africa.

Remember to bring sunglasses and sun tan lotion-try to live in ramat aviv near the beach!

I wish you the best of luck-drop me a pm if you need advice

link to chaim sheba
http://www.sheba.co.il/main/site/index.php3

if you need to learn english below

http://eng.sheba.co.il/main/siteNew/index.php :cool: :cool:

people need to have facts to back up their remarks-I never say anything I cant back up like other people I have read on this board :cool:

check out the great residencies you will beable to get from sackler.

http://med.tau.ac.il/ny/alumni_map.htm

people need to have facts to back up their remarks-I never say anything I cant back up like other people I have read on this board :cool:

check out the great residencies you will be able to get from sackler.

http://med.tau.ac.il/ny/alumni_map.htm

hi guys-
how are the dorms- i haven't heard anybody discuss those yet. does everybody run away as soon as they can find an apartment? what are they like? will i find myself tempted by the cost savings?
also, what about banking in israel? where are the best deals? how can i pay the least amount in service fees and foreign exchange fees? how have you guys been dealing with financial stuff over there?
thanks

nattiv said:

i did my undergrad at UC Berkeley

and i just finished my first year at the Sackler program. im having a great time in israel...and i'm getting a great education. i would be happy to answer any questions as best i can.

Graduates from Sackler will be graduates from one of the finest medical schools in the world - no doubt about it.

However, they will still be FMG's in the US. Sacklers web site even shows this:

ECFMG Certification

The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), through its program of certification, assesses the readiness of graduates of foreign medical schools to enter residency or fellowship programs in the United States that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
To be eligible for certification by ECFMG, students must meet the following requirements:
1) Pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 (basic medical component) and Step 2 (clinical science component)
2) Pass the English Language Proficiency Test
3) Pass the Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA). Note that students must pass Step 1 of the USMLE and the English Language Proficiency as prerequisites for taking CSA.​

http://med.tau.ac.il/ny/program_of_studies.htm

ECFMG only accredits foreign medical graudates. If approval by a state was all it took to be LCME approved, then all the carib schools would be.

i'm no longer waiting- just found out from an inside source at einstein that i don't have a chance- look out sackler, here i come!
also- is it worth buying my own printer here.
the guide for first year students made a big deal about the printer lines at the library. was he overstating the need?
thanks

Having a printer is def a convenience, but not totally necessary. The lines at the library aren't too bad, there is a 24hr student lounge for our program that has a printer, and there is a computer lab at school which is open 8-6 (i think) that has a printer. Personally, I share one with my roommate in my apartment.

I keep a bank in the US and just withdraw money from the ATM here when I need it. The exchange rate is pretty good. I don't get charged bank fees from my bank, but I know that some of my classmates do-depends on the bank I guess. There is a bank (called Discount Bank) very close to campus where you can open a student checking and/or savings account. You get a break on the fees for being a Sackler student, but am not sure of the exact details. You might need to open an account in Israel in order to get a decent cell phone plan- I know I had to.

try to hook up with 2nd or first year roomates asap do not live in the dorms-you will be much happier living in a nice aprtment good luck-try to live in ramat aviv check out now if anyone is looking for roomates

Hi. My name is Bonnie and I will be going to sackler in a few weeks. Anyone feel free to email me.
Bonnie

Hey Bonnie,
Last week I was finalizing some reservations for the group flight out of JFK in August. Are you flying out with the group? Where are you from? I live in Parkland, FL. Seth

Hi everyone.
My name is Bonnie. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I'm taking the group flight out of JFK to sackler. I have a question.....are the dorms that horrible? It will save me lots of money if I live in the dorms? Is anyone else thinking of living in the dorms?