• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

batz321

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
from looking through a lot of old threads here i still have not been able to figure out how difficult it is to get a good residency.

1. some people say it's simply because so many ppl go to sackler just because they weren't able to get into a school in the US.

2. are sackler grads not seen as FMGs in the state of NY?

3. basically, if one decides to go to sackler as a top choice, and is able to score highly on all boards - is a residency in a competitive field a real option?

thanks.

ijcMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
You are seen as an FMG when you apply to residency programs. That is a misnomer that Sackler students were unable to get into an U.S. MD school. Many sackler students do also get into US MD schools (unlike such counterparts who go for the 'island' life), albiet not the top-medical schools (except for NYU, at least from my class). Certainly the caliber of the student plays a role in his/her ability to land a competitive residency. If you have your heart set on plastic surgery, it might be difficult to get you there from Sackler. But it would be just as difficult to get you there from Wayne State, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Temple, etc. If you work hard, score well on your boards, get some strong letters of rec, you will land that residency you want. I know of 4th year who early matched in opthamolgoy just last month, but I also know of another who did not early match in neurosurgery.

leahsh

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm looking for Israeli psychometry preparation book in English. I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks.

About the Ads

lainy105

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i am interested in emergency medicine. do many students match into ER residencies after sackler? do you think it would be harder/easier/the same as from a DO school? thanks! also, any thoughts or advice about sackler is greatly appreciated :D (please refrain from including politics in this discussion)

wingman238

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
all i can offer is that i interviewed there last month, and they gave me a handout with residencies attained by last year's graduates. there were one or two ER spots, and a few surgery, and even ophthamalogy.

i would imagine however that it's easier/much easier to do it from a DO school because there are residencies in ER that only DO grads can apply for.

maji

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It indeed is probably easier as a DO. Its hard to say with the Sackler residency match, thats sparse on EM and Family Practice, if they dont get it, or they dont apply. Im pretty sure that many dont apply.

National Match is this thursday, I know one got optho this year.

EMDOC2

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
3 of us applied including myself and matched into great EM programs this year. With hard work it can be done here. It would of been easier as an American student but I really wanted to be in Israel. DOs also have a hard time landing into an allopathic EM program. I am not sure who has it worse in the end.

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
3 of us applied including myself and matched into great EM programs this year. With hard work it can be done here. It would of been easier as American student but I really wanted to be in Israel. DOs also have a hard time landing into an allopathic EM program. There are DO programs but they are not as good or competitive from what I have heard. I am not sure who has it worse in the end.

Where did you here this load of crap? Em has to be the one of the friendliest residencies for DO's in the allopathic world. And many DO's are chairs or program directors of allopathic EM residencies. If you can find KCUMB's 2007 match i think they had 30+ people go in EM with atleast half in Allo spots

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.