Sackler School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Sackler, but I haven't heard much about it. Does anyone have any info about Sackler? Is it a good school? Do you get a good education there? Would it be worth going there over an American school?

Members don't see this ad.

Doc7 said:
I was accepted to Sackler, but I haven't heard much about it. Does anyone have any info about Sackler? Is it a good school? Do you get a good education there? Would it be worth going there over an American school?

have you been accepted to any of the american schools?

brr said:
have you been accepted to any of the american schools?
Yeh, I just got into Einstein off the waitlist, but before you say I'm crazy for even thinking about it, I went to college in NY (i'm from LA) and HATED it. I also went to a school that ranked in the top 50 US colleges and was apalled at the poor educational system there, so I don't believe in rankings anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose an American school over any out-of-country medical college.

I'm moving this to the Africa / Middle East forum. There are Sackler students in that forum that will be able to answer your questions better and describe their personal experiences.

But I'll throw in some quick thoughts:

-I've heard some excellent things about Sackler, but I wouldn't choose it over a US med school. Sackler has good placement for US students in the New York area because its students do their clinincals there. But as an international medical graduate, you will have a disadvantage in the residency match. I wouldn't choose this over a US school like AECOM.

-You mention that you hate NY, but the US students at Sackler typically do their clinicals in the New York State / American pathway at Sackler. This means your third and fourth years are done in New York. If you choose Sackler or AECOM, chances are you're gonna end up in New York.

-There are some major safety concerns that you'll have to consider if you go down to Israel.

Edit: Also check out ValueMD.com

One thing to consider that seems kinda obvious - the flight from LA to Tel Aviv is very very very long. I am considering applying to Ben Gurion, which I would likely select over a few American schools because I like their program, but I don't know if I would go since it is so far away and so difficult to come home. 4 Years across an ocean is pretty far and pretty long.

Also, if you are particularly into Israel, Einstein has international rotations there.

Einstein is a very well regarded school. Stackler has a good rep, but particularly in the NYC area. If you hate NYC, you may want to take that into consideration.

I think you have a tough choice to make. Good luck.

Not a tough choice really. The choice is obvious.

if you're young (no family to consider) and Jewish, let me tell you something, Sackler is an awesome choice.

Also, provided you love Israel, which is one of the greatest countries in the world. The education is first rate. You will be an MD in the U.S. upon graduation.

They teach to the boards so you should do well and chances are you learn Hebrew.

One negative thing is if you are intrested in super competitive US residencies then Sackler may not be for you since it puts you at a disadvantage. But if you are interested in Primary care or not so competitive subspecialties, it will be a life learing experience and i would go for it.

How's your Hebrew? I know a guy at Sackler and he likes it. Even though you'll be taught in English, you'll need Hebrew for patient interaction.

Anyway personally I think it would be silly to choose Sackler over AECOM. Einstein is ranked in the top 50 in the US, and if you do well there you'll have a chance at any residency you could possibly want. You just shouldn't limit your options. I completely hear you on not liking New York, but there are all sorts of students at Einstein, and most of them are really pretty cool.

Lots of people I ask say Einstein for sure. But I LOVE Israel, I think its the greatest country in the world. I don't speak fluent Hebrew, but I was looking forward to getting better in Israel. It just seems that the experience of living in Israel would be a great education in itself (in the broader sense of the word). I lived in Israel for a year after high school and loved it. Then again, I think I might want to go into surgery, which is a very competitive residency from what I hear, and I wouldn’t want to make it harder on myself in the long run.

I see it like this..I am staring med school at the Columbia program at Ben Gurion in Israel this Fall. I am still on the waiting list at Sackler. Learning medicine in Israel will be such an adventure. What other med school will have you working with the degree of patients that you will be seeing in Israel? At Einstein will you be able to go to Europe on your breaks? You can get a competitive residency, you might just have to work harder for it.

Thats my take on things.

-Jonas

jones173 said:
I see it like this..I am staring med school at the Columbia program at Ben Gurion in Israel this Fall. I am still on the waiting list at Sackler. Learning medicine in Israel will be such an adventure. What other med school will have you working with the degree of patients that you will be seeing in Israel? At Einstein will you be able to go to Europe on your breaks? You can get a competitive residency, you might just have to work harder for it.

Thats my take on things.

-Jonas
Thanks Jonas, thats what i needed to hear

I'm just finishing up my first year at Cornell, and I also considered (and sometimes still consider) going to medical school in Israel (at Ben Gurion in particular, but also Sackler and Technion). The down-side to this is that your residency will *likely* not be as nice as it would have been had you gone to school in the states. In other words, if you're going for a specialty that's somewhat competitive, like EM or general surgery, you may get a spot, but it might be at an "eh" program in the middle of nowhere. Or you might not get a spot at all. If you're interested in IM, peds, FP, pscyh - there are enough of those to go around, but again, you may end up in a location you don't want or a program that isn't so great.

That being said, however, if living in Israel and all of the wonderful things that come with it (more experience with the culture, learning Hebrew better, etc), outweighs for you the possibility of landing a residency that you may not be thrilled with, then I say go for it. In the end, you will have an MD, and you will complete a residency. Once all of that's done, you'll be working just like every other doctor, and all the rest won't really matter. I guess it comes down to a personal choice. The majority of your replies if you posted on the allopathic forum would have been negative towards choosing Sackler, but you have to remember that their mindset is all about getting a good speicalty and practicing in the US. If you really love Israel and think you might want to move there at some point, going to medical school there in order to become proficient with the language, etc., is actually a wise decision.

There is, however, another option. After much deliberation about staying/transferring, i've decided that this is the best decision for me. First, i'm spending this summer (between MS1 and MS2) in Jerusalem working with MDA as an EMT, and also shadowing at the Hadassah ER. Second, i'm taking a year off between MS2 and MS3 to go back to Israel, study Hebrew, do more ambulance stuff, do some research at Hadassah (will have to work this out), and maybe Marva (have you heard of it? sounds cool). Then fourth year i'll go back for a 2 month EM rotation at Hadassah. So, in this way, I stay at Cornell, thus giving myself better options for a good residency when I get out (i'd like to do EM, which isn't super-competitive, but I want a good location), but also enough time in Israel to both make myself happy and to prepare myself for eventually moving there (i'd LOVE to be a doctor for the IDF for a few years).

Anyway, this has turned into a really long post! Basically, if you love Israel, there is nothing wrong with not choosing the "standard" path in medical school. If you hate NY, you'll be miserable here (i'm also not a huge fan AT ALL, but you spend so much time studying that you hardly notice it; plus there are tons of sports around, so it keeps you busy and away from the traffic). However, know that it will be a rockier road for you as an FMG. That being said, there are other options - such as what i'm doing, which let you compromise between the two.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. If you have any questions for me, i'll do my best to answer them. In the end, though, you really have to just go with your gut. Trust me on this one.

Quid

Quid-
Thanks so much for the responce, what your doing sounds awsome. I was thinking very black and white, either Israel or US, but now I see that you can get the best of both worlds (kind of). I wanted to do the EMT for MDA this summer, but it didn't work out, and I would love to work for the IDF. Thanks for giving me some perspective on the whole thing.

FYI- Here's a list of the residency match results for the class of 2005, this might help put things in perspective:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189042

Also, in regards to third and fourth year rotations, they are mostly done in Tel Aviv, you only spend a few months of your fourth year in the US (so that its easier to go to all of your residency interviews).

Is there any chance of going to Sackler and getting into a super competitive residency such as derm, neuro, ENT or plastics?