SAEM Hotel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromthesnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I remember a thread that gave the name of a hotel that a lot of med students were staying at during SAEM this year. Hopefully slightly less $$ than the Marriott...

Does anyone know what hotel that is? I can't find the thread...

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

bump! bump!! bump!!

I'm in the same situation. if anyone can offer any insight/advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

D.C. here I come!!!!:cool:

priceline.com is your friend. Trust me on this.
Try kayak.com or mobissimo.com to see what they going rates are. Then offer 25-50% less than this, depending on what level hotel you want to stay at. The worst they can say is no. It has never failed me, and I stayed at a 4 star in Chicago for my interview for $55. My dinner in the restaurant was over $100 though. But it was oh so good.

Members don't see this ad :)
To everyone, I do recommend Old Ebbitt Grill late at night. It's on 15th and G (NW) near the White House. The raw bar goes 50% off after 11pm, and you can eat like a champ for cheap. Or, you can get the Orca platter and eat like a king for $50, it includes clams, oysters, shrimp, lobster, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

You can try some boutique hotels (Kimpton) around the area. Or you can stay out in Arlington (Rosslyn, Crystal City, Pentagon City) on the Blue/Orange line. Or, you can stay out towards Bethesda/Chevy Chase MD since the hotel is on that side of the Red Line. There's a hostel in town too, if you want uber-cheap... forgot where. I was going to stay there once in college, but ended up at a friend's dorm instead.

For beer I recommend RFD (Chinatown), Brickskellar's (Dupont Circle), Pizzeria Paradiso (Georgetown), Brasserie Beck (Chinatown-ish)

hey everyone,

thanks for the recs (you can't get better than hotels + good local restaurants :thumbup: ).

the hotel in which the SAEM conference will be held charges about $259/night (this is the price that one of my classmates was given when she tried to book). since a fourth person who was going with us has decided not to go, this causes that $518 + tax hotel fee to seem sooooooo very large.

I definitely need something cheaper (although, not far away).

anyhow, thanks everyone!

Many of the Starwood properties (Sheraton/Westin/Four Points) have really good specials for weekends in May. Go to SPG.com, put in Washington, DC and the dates, and you'll get regular rates. Click on the name of the property, then special offers on the far right side of the page, and you'll get a list. One of them is a May promotion. I've seen rates as low as $80 over that weekend.

Last edited:
Just saw an ad for this place...just a bed but starts at 20 bucks a night. It's metro accessible but not right downtown...i think it's on the green/yellow lines. Never been out to look at it but might be an option for someone who isn't sharing a hotel room...loftsel.com I think.

Just saw an ad for this place...just a bed but starts at 20 bucks a night. It's metro accessible but not right downtown...i think it's on the green/yellow lines. Never been out to look at it but might be an option for someone who isn't sharing a hotel room...loftsel.com I think.

loftstels are nice! I stayed in one before. This might be my option, since moving cross country without a salary requires a bit of saving :)

I'm going with a group of four to SAEM. We got the last room available at the discounted rate. Our other room ended up being on the concierge floor. It had better be worth the increase in price.

Dude. green/yellow line? Be careful what neighborhood you're in.

I checked out the lofstel website. Apparently you have to book for a month at a time.

A friend of mine called the SAEM hotel today and found that rooms are still available for $259 a night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked out the lofstel website. Apparently you have to book for a month at a time.

A friend of mine called the SAEM hotel today and found that rooms are still available for $259 a night.

The Loftstel says it's for a month at a time, but when you go to reserve it, it gives you the short-term option. It is $34 a night in the DC one. Kayak has 2-3 star hotels starting in like the 80s-low 100s. I can't see myself spending $259/night! :eek:

so, I just called the hotel to ask about parking, and it is $32/day with NO conference rate!!!! :eek::scared:

Something to keep in mind....

so, I just called the hotel to ask about parking, and it is $32/day with NO conference rate!!!! :eek::scared:

Something to keep in mind....

Why do SAEM/ACEP always use expensive hotels for their meetings? $250 per night is crazy (nevertheless I'm staying there).

We're only doctors. Do you think we've got cash to burn like lawyers or something?

Why do SAEM/ACEP always use expensive hotels for their meetings? $250 per night is crazy (nevertheless I'm staying there).

We're only doctors. Do you think we've got cash to burn like lawyers or something?

apparently, the misperception persists.

i don't even have my M.D. yet, and already, I'm forking out several hundred dollars for this trip. my status as a student doesn't mean anything, unfortunately.

that hotel fee is obscene, and in retrospect, i should have shopped around for better rates before i allowed myself to be roped into a group of people insistent upon staying at that overpriced hotel. live and learn, i guess.

apparently, the misperception persists.

i don't even have my M.D. yet, and already, I'm forking out several hundred dollars for this trip. my status as a student doesn't mean anything, unfortunately.

that hotel fee is obscene, and in retrospect, i should have shopped around for better rates before i allowed myself to be roped into a group of people insistent upon staying at that overpriced hotel. live and learn, i guess.

I've heard that the hotel isn't even very good. For $250 per night it should be awesome. I'm only staying there because my way is paid by my program.

Come see my poster all!

I've heard that the hotel isn't even very good. For $250 per night it should be awesome. I'm only staying there because my way is paid by my program.

Come see my poster all!

I'll be there!

You know, for all of you who are going, we are going to have to find a way to meet up with one another. I can't go around asking, "do you know GeneraVeers? how about SoCuteMD?" :laugh:

I'll be there!

You know, for all of you who are going, we are going to have to find a way to meet up with one another. I can't go around asking, "do you know GeneraVeers? how about SoCuteMD?" :laugh:

FYI, I will be the nerdy one attending all the scientific and translational sessions while taking copious notes :)

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know:

I've been surfing for an affordable hotel for a while now, but I just went to priceline.com and named my own price. I bid $100/night for a 3 star+ hotel, thinking it would never work since the avg hotel price is over $300.

I got a room at the 4-star Marriott 2 miles away from the conference!!! :clap: :D

Which was like, $50 more than staying at the quality inn in the ghetto, the option I almost took. My only regret is not bidding lower. :smuggrin:

I've been surfing for an affordable hotel for a while now, but I just went to priceline.com and named my own price. I bid $100/night for a 3 star+ hotel, thinking it would never work since the avg hotel price is over $300.

I got a room at the 4-star Marriott 2 miles away from the conference!!! :clap: :D

Which was like, $50 more than staying at the quality inn in the ghetto, the option I almost took. My only regret is not bidding lower. :smuggrin:

For those still looking for a hotel room, try the Hilton. It's a red line station away from the Wardman and approx. $120/night. I booked a room for 3 nights for me and my wife.

I'll be presenting...excited but nervous...

Congrats H24G! I think you got a very good deal -- after about 20 bids in $5 increments starting at $70 I didn't come up with any deals better than yours.

For those still considering pricelining, I just booked hotels for L&A and SAEM. Both hotels are about 2 miles away from the official conference hotels.

For L&A, I got the Westin Grand Hotel Washington Dc (4 stars, in the Georgetown - Foggy Bottom zone) for $110+taxes = $130/night.

For SAEM, I got the Courtyard By Marriott Embassy Row (2.5 stars, in the White House - Downtown zone) for $85+taxes = $100/night.

Still will need to pay for wireless internet and parking -- not sure if it is even worth bringing the car to drive the two miles back and forth or if I should just use cabs and leave my car at home (or at long-term airport parking, etc.)

Please advise.

Still will need to pay for wireless internet and parking -- not sure if it is even worth bringing the car to drive the two miles back and forth or if I should just use cabs and leave my car at home (or at long-term airport parking, etc.)
Leave your car at home. Ride the metro. Hell, if it is two miles, you can walk it for the exercise. It burns off the alcohol. Just know where you're walking.

Leave your car at home. Ride the metro. Hell, if it is two miles, you can walk it for the exercise. It burns off the alcohol. Just know where you're walking.

I'm definitely walking! :thumbup:

Hi Everyone,

tomorrow's the conference!!! I hope to see you all there (funny, though, since I don't know what anyone looks like :confused: )

have a safe trip, everyone!