Salaray Difference between DO & MD's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Is there a salary difference between MD's and DO's or is it about the same?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Any difference in salaries during residency? I think several years ago a M.D. told my wife that a D.O. might make more during that time? I sure hope that is true!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by carcrazyguy
Any difference in salaries during residency? I think several years ago a M.D. told my wife that a D.O. might make more during that time? I sure hope that is true!! ;)

Any given residency program pays MDs and DOs the same.

The only thing I can think of is that some primary care rural residencies pay more to attract people...and DOs tend to go into primary care and rural residencies at a higher rate.

a D.O. (internal med) i talked to once said it was about $4 less per patient. i seriously doubt this to be true, but who cares either way? i'll still be making more than i do now.

I was just reading over some family practice DO residency info for a site that I am interested in. It states that the program is the same for the DOs as it is for the MDs, HOWEVER the DOs are required to do an additional 2 months of ER duty. So pay is the same and everything else is the same as the MDs, but we have more training required.

The more OMM you do, the more $$$ you will make. You bill per body section manipulated. Shadow a DO who uses OMM and ask him/her.

Originally posted by Amy B
I was just reading over some family practice DO residency info for a site that I am interested in. It states that the program is the same for the DOs as it is for the MDs, HOWEVER the DOs are required to do an additional 2 months of ER duty. So pay is the same and everything else is the same as the MDs, but we have more training required.

I seriously doubt that the DOs do 2 more months of training. It just sounds like they do 2 months in the ED rather than in another area or an elective.

Maybe, but I think I am reading this correctly. I have copied/pasted the words from the web page. What do you think?

""""Our osteopathic curriculum is similar to our current allopathic residency except for an additional two months of Emergency Medicine is recommended in the third-year to fulfill the ACOFP requirements. Our program participates in the osteopathic in-service exam each November."""""""

There is a simple way to figure out residency salaries. The more competitive the residency, the lower the salary and compensation will be. Why do they do this? Because they can ;)

Originally posted by Boomer
Realizing some jest in your post, it should be pointed out that the pay is basically the same throughout a program (at least, that's the case at the many places I looked at).

For example, your pay as a PGY3 IM resident is the same as the PGY3 Psych guy, and the PGY3 Neurosurgeon within your same program.....

I was mistaken, actually I looked through a bunch of salaries for PM&R residencies and their really wasn't much difference. It seemed to correlate more with cost of living in the location of the program than anything. The highest paying program, though was Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in Brooklyn:

PGY1 Salary: $46,219.00 PGY1 Vacation: 4-wks
PGY2 Salary: $50,366.00 PGY2 Vacation: 4-wks
PGY3 Salary: $55,265.00 PGY3 Vacation: 4-wks
PGY4 Salary: $56,729.00 PGY4 Vacation: 4-wks
PGY5 Salary: $58,828.00 PGY5 Vacation: 4-wks